Australia - Toyah Cordingley, 24, body found on beach, 22 October 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
One man said he had driven 40 minutes from Cairns to the scene after reading about the search for her killer.

"I was walking along the beach at roughly the same time she was, but I don't remember seeing her, " said the man, who didn't wish to be named.

"I told police there were lots of families here at the time."

Toyah Cordingley's killer still unknown as police carry out DNA testing on Wangetti residents - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Interesting that this guy says that there were 'lots of families' at the beach at the time Toyah was meant to be there.

Interesting that this guy says that there were 'lots of families' at the beach at the time Toyah was meant to be there.

That is really interesting, it would have been very brazen. Either dragged into the bushes quickly, but you could not have risked the noise of the dog drawing attention? or perhaps it did not occur there and Toyah and her dog were taken there after?

The few times I've traveled past this beach on holidays there have been at least half a dozen cars in each of the car parks and the road is a reasonably busy road, being the direct route between Cains and Port Douglas and the beach is opposite a popular tourist attraction (Hartleys crocodile farm)

so it's entirely possible it was a chance encounter with a tourist or drifter who happened to be on the beach at the time and took the opportunity to act out their disgusting desires.

I can't account for how her dog would react to a stranger but perhaps she tied the dog up herself and that's when the perp attacked her.

Hopefully police find the person who did this and they rot in jail.

I wonder if it is a transient, too. Cairns has a highly transient population and if her attack and murder was purely opportunistic it will make it harder for police to find the perpetrator.

Police aren't confirming or denying the rumours at this stage whether or not Toyah's dog was tied/tethered to a tree near the beach. If the rumour is true, perhaps Toyah decided to tie her dog to the tree whilst going for a swim. Just a theory

The majority of locals would know better than to swim there due to crocodiles. There are a lot of mangroves and creeks in the area, too, and it's just not the done thing to swim anywhere other than 'safe' spots.

Referring to my previous link in regard to 4 ways police are seeking help:
I wonder if Toyah met with someone at the markets and invited them to the beach hence the need for dashcom footage.
Did someone accompany her on the trip or meet her there upon invitation?

No Cookies | The Cairns Post
True, perhaps someone has followed her from the markets, i am assuming she was able to take her dog to the markets.

It's fairly unlikely the killer/s left the area by water, so the most likely scenarios are either vehicle (likely the same vehicle that they arrived in) or walked.

If they walked from the area, someone would likely have noticed them walking along / crossing the highway.

If they left the area in a vehicle, someone likely saw the vehicle and/or has captured footage of it, even if they don't know it specifically.

If they are still or were in the immediate area, there are dwellings nearby. Imo I doubt that it was a local resident of the beach but if it were, seeing such theoretical person/s would be completely inconspicuous.

Last edited:
If she was a regular walker along that beach, the individual may have been stalking her movements. Or it was a random and completely by chance. I imagine him/they/whoever would have left via car too.

The possibility of someone stalking Toyah from the markets is a consideration for sure. At this stage there is nothing known to the public to suggest whether the killer/s arrived at the beach after Toyah, or were already present. Nor can it be determined whether this was premeditated or an opportunistic attack.

The reports by locals of indecent behavior on the beach recently may be totally unrelated, but it's certainly possible that there's a link to one or more of these same supposed individuals.

T
The reports by locals of indecent behavior on the beach recently may be totally unrelated, but it's certainly possible that there's a link to one or more of these same supposed individuals.

There is a resort called Turtle Cove not far from this beach.

Last edited:
AAAluEu.img
The cry for help that no one heard: Locals reveal murdered woman, 24, was in a black spot for reception – as police take DNA swabs from illegal campers in the hunt for her killer

Aidan Wondracz, Hannah Moore and Zoe Zaczek
4 hrs ago

The young woman who was murdered while walking her dog would not have been able to call police because she was in a mobile black spot, locals have claimed.
Hartley's Crocodile Adventures owner Angela Freeman told The Courier Mail it wouldn't have mattered if she had her phone on her.

'Even if Toyah had her phone, and was in fear of her life, there is no signal, and she would not have been able to make an emergency call for help.
Detectives are now seeking to find out if Ms Cordingley had her mobile phone on her at the time and if she tried to contact the emergency hotline.

Last edited:
Just a thought - maybe the perp threatened the dog, to harm her dog Indie, if she didn’t keep quiet and do as he told her. Maybe She tied up her dog herself to prevent it from being harmed.

It is awful to imagine being in a terrible situation and not able to phone for help because of a black spot.

I am hopeful that they have some form of recovered DNA and are doing voluntary collections to perhaps rule members of the population out.

I grew up in the Cairns area and whilst the wangetti area can at times be empty, I have been there years and years ago and seen it “busy”.

Just a thought - maybe the perp threatened the dog, to harm her dog Indie, if she didn’t keep quiet and do as he told her. Maybe She tied up her dog herself to prevent it from being harmed.

It seems that the killer/s likely had a weapon to gain the upperhand, though we the public don't know whether poor Toyah's injuries are indicative of a weapon at this stage.

If a weapon was involved that would then suggest premeditation, or opportunistic use of an item as a weapon that was already handy.

Another observation, it's a bit of a stretch though any possibilities are worth consideration.

I have seen nothing to suggest that a gun was involved, but there is a shooting range about 2km south of Wangetti beach. Even in the unlikely chance that an astray shot could hit an innocent bystander in the vicinity, I am not a gun expert but would not expect the beach to be within a dangerous proximity.

Edit : Especially since at a glance, downrange appears to be southward (away from the beach).

In any case, was the range operating on Sunday?

It is awful to imagine being in a terrible situation and not able to phone for help because of a black spot.

I am hopeful that they have some form of recovered DNA and are doing voluntary collections to perhaps rule members of the population out.

I grew up in the Cairns area and whilst the wangetti area can at times be empty, I have been there years and years ago and seen it “busy”.

I live in a suburb about 20klms from a major regional city and there are areas around me where it's almost impossible to get phone reception. It's very frustrating when those areas are residential, not just 'in the sticks'.

I don't have a link handy but I did see on our news last night the police are taking DNA samples of everyone living in the surrounding area. I don't know how far that sample extends, though. Cairns is having a big problem with anti-social behaviour from 'park people' and drug users, so I imagine their tourism board wants to protect its image from a crime like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708