AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicles have to be registered don't they ? How hard could it possibly be to trace an orange or red dodge challenger if the driver is local ? Also, if they have actual video footage of the vehicle, why no plate numbers ?

What am I missing here ?

The plate numbers may have not been clearly visible with the angle of the footage they have of the actual vehicles.

I do agree with MFs take on this subject though.

He said it would only take the FBI experts who are on the ground there about 6 hours to find out if the 2 vehicles in question are from this same county.

They have special designed software that allows them to do this quickly. This county only has 45,000 residence in total.

That leads me to believe the 2 vehicles in question are not from the same county the crime happened in.

Which will make it even harder to solve.

Imo

You don't need a new system. Just an add on cam. I am part of a crime cam project that puts cams up all over the city.

You really don't need a new system. You can just purchase an add on cam. I would suggest to make sure it has HD definiton night vision and color. Generally, I tell people it invest in a cam installer. It should cost you a 150 dollars to wire it into your existing system.
Thank you for the professional advice :) I’ll be adding one ASAP

You can save yourself a lot of time. Just go back about 3 threads. Full of photos of Windsor chairs. Chairs with ties. Chairs with ruffles. Chairs with tied on ruffled seat cushions. A veritable Early American catalog.

I'd like to point out again that until we have the police's NARRATIVE about any of the furnishings, doors, windows, etc. removed from the house, the objects are subject to as many different interpretations as there are posters looking at them.

Also, an important case had tons of likely physical evidence and people speculated on the meanings of items and so forth for over a DECADE. JonBenet Ramsey case. We never found out one tiny piece of importance attached to any of the house's physical evidence except that the family's pad and pen were used to write the " ransom note".
That's why I refuse to speculate on physical evidence now. I looked at Santa bears and American Girl dolls until I was cross-eyed. Nothing came of anything we " saw" or " found" in a photo.

BBM

We are all aware of that. I think the reason we're here is to analyze the evidence before us and discuss it. That's what sleuthing is all about, and kudos to you for your decision not to speculate.

Last edited:
Anyone wish to explore the psychological traits of the person who committed this crime?
Respectfully snipped for focus.
I think it's important to consider the psychological profile of killers, because it helps us observe like patterns and apply these learnings to other cases. I recognize, unless a verified professional, we are all just amateurs trying to offer up theories and leads based on our amateur abilities. None the less, we do come up with some great observations and leads! Interested in your thoughts.

Amateur opinion and speculation

This paragraph has been on my mind as well...perhaps a ransom note was received & this is a response to it with key words confirming receipt of ransom note “sparkling”, “bright”, “giggles” and locations discussed museum, park, mall, but ultimately mall being the plan and find more info at Starbucks today. Farfetched? Probably. Prayers for Jayme’s swift & safe return. JMO
Maybe not specifically a “ransom note” but my gut feeling is that there’s definitely a response to the abductor(s) embedded in that statement.

My back of the napkin estimates:
Sales figures for Challengers from 2008-2014: 265,792 vehicles sold
source: Dodge Challenger US car sales figures

Based on WI population (assuming they purchase at the same rate, I don't know) I would expect there to be 4729 sold here

Based on Barron County population I would expect 37 Challengers sold here

This is for all Challengers, not just red/orange and doesn't account for regional sales variations and those cars which are no longer on the road. My guess is they have accounted for all those in Barron County because it can't be that many to begin with.
LOVE this. You are talking my language. This is a terrific way to focus, and no doubt pretty close to exactly what LE did. Well done!

1. Yes. Doesn't necessarily mean that all vehicles actually are registered, but legally they need to be.
2. I'd be willing to bet that the owner of every vehicle matching the description registered in the county has already been questioned. The car is likely not local.
3. Footage wouldn't necessarily show the plate. The sheriff mentioned that the tip leading to these vehicles was surveillance video from homes/businesses. In most cases these are not going to be the highest quality cameras it's very possible they aren't able to zoom in on plates.
I agree the car probably is not local. If not, what does this mean? Something not yet investigated?

1. Yes. Doesn't necessarily mean that all vehicles actually are registered, but legally they need to be.
2. I'd be willing to bet that the owner of every vehicle matching the description registered in the county has already been questioned. The car is likely not local.
3. Footage wouldn't necessarily show the plate. The sheriff mentioned that the tip leading to these vehicles was surveillance video from homes/businesses. In most cases these are not going to be the highest quality cameras it's very possible they aren't able to zoom in on plates.

Great points.

If they already had the actual license plate number of both vehicles there wouldn't be any need for them asking for tips if anyone knows who these vehicles may belong to...

Imo

911 dispatch log: Call made from Denise's cell phone, door kicked in

"1:04 329 REQUESTED TO HAVE EMS STAGE. PAGED EMS FOR AN APPARENT SUICIDE.
[118 - 10/15/2018 01:04:17] 325 ADVISED ONE MALE DOWN, MULTIPLE ROUNDS SPENT. REQUESTED THAT ADMIN BE NOTIFIED".

text made red and bolded by me...
Imagine the poor officers walking in on that scene? They see the dad down. They somehow confirm to dispatch "apparent suicide". But then 17 seconds later, they update that there are "multiple rounds spent". It must have been such an incredible shock to them to walk in on whatever they walked in on!! It must have taken them a few seconds for it to register even that there were multiple rounds spent.

It is also a safe bet that at least one officer eventually on scene knew James and/or Denise personally.

Missing Wisconsin teen's family in emotional plea for her safe return

Investigators sometimes employ remarks from missing people's family members in the hopes of humanizing them in their captors' eyes and making them pause before inflicting harm.

The sheriff added that a new evidence collection team went through the Closs home on Wednesday to ensure previous forensic analysts didn't miss anything. The new team removed what Fitzgerald called "items," but he didn't elaborate.

CBS Minnesota reports the items included a mattress, a nightstand and several boxes.

I'm glad they sent fresh pairs of eyes in to take another look. I do wonder who's mattress they took and why the nightstand. Maybe they found something in or on the nightstand/mattress that needs further testing. I found this website on Evidence Collection Guidelines. It was interesting, not sure if it will be helpful to anyone but heres the link:

Evidence Collection Guidelines

I didn't see that, but it wouldn't surprise me. I know someone official--probably the sheriff--initially called it a really brutal crime scene or something along that line. I'm sure (as is true of any rural area), they've fielded their fair share of domestic disputes gone awry, suicides, hunting accidents, etc. Based on that wording, I suspect this was a really horrifying scene beyond the gunshot wounds :( , and they are perhaps keeping all the disturbing details quiet so that way they can ferret out tips or confessions that are genuine.
I too find this interesting. You are right that in a rural community LE must have seen their fair share of grotesque farming and car accidents, etc. Something about this crime must have been particularly gruesome, which may help if the Perp had a particular "signature" in what he did.

I have to stop my mind from running rampant on what might have been happening in that time the Perp kicked down the door until the time they left, aside from the gun blasts. This is such a bizarre case, and we won't know what happened until trial. I just pray that the parents passed quickly, and that against all odds that Jayme can return to her remaining family.
What a bizarre situation, and one no-one would expect coming from rural Wisconsin

Amateur opinion and speculation

you cannot be specific as to their names or personal identifying info. Tread carefully

I'm pretty sure we're all wondering the same thing in terms of how exactly a certain crime could possibly happen without another crime being committed. You go to Grandma's funeral and swipe the ring off her finger ? But aside from that...long rap sheet including drugs, theft and armed robbery.

Makes me rethink my theory that this wasn't an armed home invasion after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong