AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some additional views of the home ...

Paul Blume on Twitter
For 1st time since I arrived in Barron on Oct 15, the mobile crime scene trailer is gone from the Closs family home on Hwy 8. No police presence. No crime scene tape. Not sure what it means in the efforts to #FindJayme Perhaps onto next phase of investigation? #FindJaymeCloss
View attachment 152908 View attachment 152909 View attachment 152910
That has to be a bit unnerving for the neighbors right now. I bet that they felt a little bit safer with a police presence in the neighborhood, after such a brutal crime being committed. Especially since there is POI or suspect named. I feel for their neighbors right now.

That's what I'm confused about. If the killer opened the storm door and then kicked the inner door in and shot, then the body would not end up in the doorway, it would have been further inside. He would have had to have either been using his body to hold the storm door open, or gone inside before aiming and taking a shot.
This door issue is driving me nuts.

What if the family was all in bed asleep. The gunman sneaks up and props open or ties back open the storm door. Mollie the dog is alerted and goes to the inside of the door barking. The gunman is hiding in the bushes near the door. JC goes to see why the dog is barking, probably thinking it was a wild critter out there, see nothing.

He opens the door thinking 'why is the storm door open?' and he is shot right then in the opening of the only slightly ajar wood door. This is easy enough with a rifle. JC slumps down, gunman leaps up/forward, kicks door open (breaking chain lock if there was one). I think JC was shot that second time right there, perhaps knocking him on his back plus the door kicking in. Hmmm...

I doubt this killer ran out of ammo. He had a lot of ammo, and had more for his escape. In this guy's fantasy, if he had been stopped by a state trooper, he would have shot him, too, right in the face. JMO

I can imagine this perp bringng more than one gun, a rifle for the door breech and immediate control, and also a handgun for interior close range. AR plus 9mm, casings all over. Prior military, had urban warfare training?

Very violent. Unafraid to kill. May have killed in context of war? Planning/op/determination/goal-oriented. Has succeeded. No prior pertinent criminal history (owns guns). He is a Collector type. Does he have other girls, is Jayme the first, the only one? I believe Jayme is the prize and she is in a dungeon, basement, cabin or campsite. May be clean cut, normal.

Westerfield? He was an engineer, no criminal history, harbored his pedo fantasies into his 40s before he murdered Danielle. Right next door.

If you see the picture, the wood of the door was split way down about 2 or three inches from the frame, or the jamb.

The wood looked to be about two inches, at least, thick

This gives some pretty good insight into the size/strength of the person, too. It has to be a strong, able-bodied person.

Last edited:
That has to be a bit unnerving for the neighbors right now. I bet that they felt a little bit safer with a police presence in the neighborhood, after such a brutal crime being committed. Especially since there is POI or suspect named. I feel for their neighbors right now.
I'm sure it's unnerving for everybody, especially those with kids as they may be traumatized by this. Jmo

First time poster, but I've been watching this thread for a few days now.

The thing I can't make any sense of is the violent nature of the killing of the parents. It just seems really different to have done that if the goal was abducting Jayme.

The flip side of that is if the goal was revenge on the parent(s), taking Jayme still makes very little sense and doesn't seem like other cases I've heard before.

I think this is one of two possible scenarios:
1.) Random sociopath/killer who would indiscriminately kill anyone they felt like and for some reason chose this poor unsuspecting family to kill/abduct.
2.) Someone known to the family or where they worked, who is still in the area and trying to blend in as if nothing happened.

How do you kill someone in a surprise home invasion in a manner that's not violent?

PB replying to a Twitter user's question about reporter Christina Palladino's tweet regarding the "strange conversation a woman had with a man..."

Paul Blume on Twitter

What I can tell you, it's 1 of 1700+ #JaymeCloss tips called in so far. People in Barron are on edge. They're thinking back on strange convos, reporting suspicious neighbors. They want to #FindJayme. Authorities con't to insist they have no suspects & are working every lead.

Yes, that was in the dispatcher report but I was actually referring to the news report from WAEU13. It was from the first day and Fitzgerald said bullet casings. That's why some posters questioned the idea that a shotgun was used, as LE would have said " shells" instead of casings.

I looked into it several times/places, but I've not seen "casings" mentioned by the sheriff in a quote. I have seen media report it that way, seeming to ad lib from the dispatch log. And I don't doubt you, maybe he did say it. I do think it's safe to assume they were likely casings, not shells; I just haven't heard that come from Fitzgerald.

I’m thinking the perp knocked at the door while holding the storm door, dad yelled out asking who it was, and the intruder then fired through the front door once he knew dad was behind it. Dad was caught off guard. If he fired through the glass door, it would have shattered glass all over the front steps and LE would have seen it right away. After shooting dad, intruder then kicks the door open (probably had a surge of adrenaline going after firing those shots) and makes his way inside. Mom ran to hide in the bathroom with her phone when she heard the gun shots, but perp made entry quickly and found/shot her before she could talk to 911 dispatch.

On day 11 of search for Jayme Closs, Barron residents remain vigilant

BARRON, Wisconsin (KMSP) - No more than two miles from the Closs family house, just off Hwy. 8, a Barron County farmer chopped stalks Thursday with his eyes focused on the cornfield and Jayme.

“You’re always looking. In the back of your mind, maybe something happened and she’s placed here. We’re always looking for her. I’ve got quite a few fields within a short distance of where the scene was,” the farmer said.
[...]
The farmer, who asked that we not use his name, said he won’t stop doing his part.

In fact, he and his wife reached out to authorities earlier this week about a “strange” phone call they received from an out-of-area phone number. They were worried it might be connected to the nationwide search.

“They actually asked for Jayme and then kinda acted funny,” the farmer said. “We had the phone number they called from and delivered it to the police department.”

IMO he had a very large gunshot wound to the head that at first glance looked to be a suicide - from what I have read murder is not a huge stastical crime - a sleuthed posted thise earlier
I'm wondering if both were shot in the head, by someone with experience if all it took was two shots. Jmo

Apologies if this was already discussed-
In their obituary I noticed that it said Denise was a member of the church, but there wasn't any mention of this for James. I've also seen reports that Denise and Jayme were active members, but again no mention of James. Wondering if someone at church --not even necessarily someone who had been there long--saw Denise and jayme and figured it was a single mom and daughter. Learned their address, and thus weren't expecting a man to be there. Not sure if I really lean towards this theory but at his point I'm looking at anything and everything

It's a smart thought.

Do you mean since there is Not a POI or suspect named?

I looked into it several times/places, but I've not seen "casings" mentioned by the sheriff in a quote. I have seen media report it that way, seeming to ad lib from the dispatch log. And I don't doubt you, maybe he did say it. I do think it's safe to assume they were likely casings, not shells; I just haven't heard that come from Fitzgerald.
It was either the first or second article. Before anything was ever mentioned about the dispatch log.

Thats a good question. I wondered if it was shot through, and that's why the family member said that. I don't know what kind of glass is used in those doors, or what a bullet hole would look like in one. Also they didn't mention it in the dispatcher log. It would seem it would have to be open, either with him holding it open with his body or having stepped inside. Jmo

Storm doors have tempered glass by code. There is no way a bullet would go through tempered glass and not be noticeable. Tempered glass is designed to shatter into a million pieces. I’m keeping it short bc the site keeps reloading and i keep losing my comments. But trust me, we would see if a bullet went thru the storm door. There would be no glass or visibly shattered glass.

Source - I work for a glass company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member