SOLVED NY - Tala Farea, 16, Rotana Farea, 22, Hudson River, 24 Oct 2018- COD released: suicide/drowning

The sisters went missing from their home in Fairfax on Aug. 24, said a police source.

Their bodies were found Wednesday afternoon near the river off West 68th St. in Riverside Park. One woman was on top of the other in a macabre cross-like configuration.

Both were clad in black leggings. One was wearing a bomber jacket with a hood, while the other wore a gray hooded down jacket.

A police source said the women hadn’t been in the water long, and died recently. The cause of their deaths are still being investigated. ▷Cops ID sisters found dead, bound with duct tape in Riverside Park ▷New York Daily News

Wow - it sounds like this is just the *beginning* of this sad story. So many, many questions. I will start off by suggesting a quick inventory of all their friends and extended family should be conducted immediately.

I'm fearful for what we will learn....

Amateur opinion and speculation

The article indicates "a missing child's poster said the women were last seen on August 24, but no photographs were included."

I wonder where the two sisters have been for the last two months? What caused them to go missing?

So sad. Hoping to hear more information soon.
I can't find any articles/information from when they originally went missing. That is so sad.

I also find it interesting that their ages were initially listed as 25-30, in the article linked in post #116: NY - Riverside Park, Bodies Of 2 Women Bound With Duct Tape Found in Hudson River, 24 Oct 2018

That article has now been updated but the poster madamx quoted it in her post.

Edited to add the missing poster I found and clarify that was the only thing I could find on them (no articles or social media reports): Have you seen this child? TALA FAREA

Interesting that suicidal people are afraid of the cold.

How so? I don't think it's being "afraid" of the cold, per se.

I don't believe suicidal people seek out additional discomfort or pain or are immune to cold weather. Coats and clothes are heavy when wet, too.

They just can't bear the pain of living, which is a gross oversimplification, but I used it for lack of a better phrase.

It's as though the internet has been wiped clean about any information regarding this 22 and 16 yo. If you look them up, all one finds is Dubai and UAE, etc. I do wonder if this could somehow have been honor killings? Just a question....

Wow - it sounds like this is just the *beginning* of this sad story. So many, many questions. I will start off by suggesting a quick inventory of all their friends and extended family should be conducted immediately.

I'm fearful for what we will learn....

Amateur opinion and speculation
bbm
Same here... I know that "New York is New York," but this sadness is apparently two young women from Fairfax, VA. Was there something at home so horrible, or hurtful, etc., that would make them take each other's lives? Or was it someone who had done something to them and needed to get rid of them? Or, were they just visiting in NYC and then were in the wrong place at the wrong time?
Sad and baffling.
Patience for us, and may those young women rest in peace.

bbm
Same here... I know that "New York is New York," but this sadness is apparently two young women from Fairfax, VA. Was there something at home so horrible, or hurtful, etc., that would make them take each other's lives? Or was it someone who had done something to them and needed to get rid of them? Or, were they just visiting in NYC and then were in the wrong place at the wrong time?
Sad and baffling.
Patience for us, and may those young women rest in peace.

What do you mean by “New York is New York”? Genuine question, no snark intended.

Wow. WSers were right - they were sisters! I really didn't think they were - I thought they were in a romantic relationship. WSers were on it.

Sisters. And so young!

Now that I know they are not local to Manhattan, I will re-think my theory that they entered the water at 131st Street. Still could be the location, but I want to think about it more. (I still don't they jumped from the GWB unless LE says that is the fact.)

And I am now considering this might not be suicide. I thought it was, but now I am re-thinking that too.

I'm glad they've been identified and named. It's always so sad when a body is unidentified.

jmo

Doesn't the George Washington Bridge have cameras? They should be able to record if they did enter on foot.

They do, all over. I recall a few years ago someone put a flag up at one of the bridges (I can't remember which one) and there was a huge stink about how there could be that flaw in the surveillance system. It might have been the Brooklyn bridge.

ETA: Here's the article about it. German artists claim they did it. German Artists Say They Put White Flags on Brooklyn Bridge

Yeah, Iam trying to understand this one myself??o_O

Us NYers can certainly be considered a different species lol. (I’m saying that in jest btw) But we don’t “deserve” to be crime victims or suicide victims any more than people living in other states. I think I am just reading the OP wrong but I’m genuinely confused.

Late to the game on this one. I’ve been caught up in the pipe bombs and this mornings synagogue shooting, but remember seeing it on here. These questions and points may have been addressed already, so my apologies if I’m being redundant:

1. Whether it was suicide or murder, there is still the question of where they were between being reported as missing in late August and now. Especially given that they weren’t in the water very long according to LE. That is a huge chunk of the story in and of itself. One that might help confirm the circumstances of their death.

2. If this was a suicide, it would be harder to imagine anything other than a mutual suicide pact- otherwise you’d think a signs of a struggle (and defensive wounds or signs of trauma) and some time involved in one getting them both bound - at least something that would have been witnessed by people or cameras.

3. I suppose that it is possible they committed suicide. They somehow managed to go undetected on the bridge while wrapping themselves with duct tape, got themselves over the railing and jumped. I remember seeing an earlier article (from PEOPLE i think) that indicates their feet were bound but not together. This would presumably give them more leverage to be able to move around and over the barriers than if there feet were bound together as well.

I’m also curious as to why no one was able to answer the question on the older sister’s whereabouts in the last two months, given the initial missing report indicated the girl MIGHT be with the older sister. It could be that as an adult- and possibly out of the picture or out of contact with the persons who made the report- she didn’t meet the qualifications to be considered missing herself. But it doesn’t answer why they would assume that possibility if she weren’t somehow still in the picture.

Did the missing persons report say she was considered endangered or anything?

IMO, based on the little we do know, it looks like the disappearance and deaths have sprinkles of both voluntary and involuntary indications. But which is which, I do not know.

Ok just putting this out there. Looking at the names Tala and Rotana. One of my neighbors named Tala her family is from India. I started lookinging into the other name and I found it Bengali. Bengali Baby Names » Girl Names » Starting From R » Page 3/6 » BabyNamesDirect

And Because You Know!.....New York IS New York;)....We are also blessed to have such diversity and live with so many Cultures right close next to you. You end up learning about their traditions.

With that in mind, I was thinking, Maybe the girls were being force to arrange marriages and they being more Americanized were Not having it. And then your become a horrible disgrace to the family and all that stuff.

I know, because it happened to my neighbors. Her older sister my age, did the arrange marriage thing years ago, But the 2 younger ones totally rebelled against the whole thing and there was a Real BIG To Do about it!! But, I think because Dad was the only man in the house he was overpowered BY the women of the house.

Maybe they ran away came to NYC because they had family here and that family rejected them?? Or they realized they would get in super big trouble and at that point could not go back Or god knows what. Then with overwhelming sadness, being a disgrace to the and feeling hopeless they thought the only way out would be suicide.
But that is just a thought I had.

Maybe they just reported the younger one missing because the older one is considered adult and they just let her go.

Again just My thoughts.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong