PA - 11 killed, 6 injured in mass shooting at Pittsburgh Synagogue, 27 Oct 2018 *guilty, death sentence*

I think each of us via SM, ought to really encourage MSM to quit airing, quoting, or reporting on anything that is not in job description of elected officials.

It serves no public good.

Just quit passing the hate around.

Each of us can start now!

Nothing to lose - let outlets know you want them to quit repeating all the hate.

We have nothing to lose - who knows maybe it could catch on and MSM will respond .

They can help tone down everything themselves - quit repeating it.

Hit your SM!

I think each of us via SM, ought to really encourage MSM to quit airing, quoting, or reporting on anything that is not in job description of elected officials.

Nothing to lose - let outlets know you want them to quit repeating all the hate.

We have nothing to lose - who knows maybe it could catch on and MSM will respond .

Hit your SM!

Well, yes, I could see the value in this.
AND I would still want to be aware which ones of my elected officials are engaging in rhetoric that indicates they might not be fit for public office.
Darned if you do....and darned if you don’t.
I guess it is worth a try, and that those that continue to spew hate will expose themselves in other ways. I think it must be part of their pathology.

“There have been more than 1,600 mass shootings since Sandy Hook”
America’s unique gun violence problem, explained in 17 maps and charts

—-

2016 and 2017:
Active Shooter Incidents in the United States in 2016 and 2017 — FBI

2017 Data:
https://ovc.ncjrs.gov/ncvrw2018/info_flyers/fact_sheets/2018NCVRW_MassCasualty_508_QC.pdf

—-

There have been 154 mass shootings in the US so far in 2018 — here's the full list

“There have been nearly as many US mass shootings as days in 2018.“

(Omg :( )

—-

ETA:
Mass shootings in the U.S.: When, where they have occurred in 2018

“The number of mass shootings around the country in 2018 continues to climb.

According to data from the Gun Violence Archive, a total of 293 mass shooting incidents have occurred as of October 27.

Saturday's mass shooting at a synagogue in Pittsburgh, with 'multiple casualties' and multiple officers injured, marks the 294th mass shooting.

In 2017, the U.S. saw a total of 346 mass shootings.”

Mass Shootings
shootingtracker.com

I learned about these shocking statistics when I participated in my organization’s active shooter training earlier this year. At that time, one incident was occurring every 10 days or so. And since then, it has only gotten more frequent. Earlier one of us said on this thread that active shooter training skills are good to have, most likely the majority of us will probabky (hooefully) never need them.

I think these statistics point otherwise.

The gun lobby disputes these numbers, and cites different criterion for categorizing active shooter situations. Even if the number is half of highest count of incidents, isn’t ONE mass shooting too much when most countries have NONE?

Yikes!
Double post.
Deleted.

Last edited:
It makes me wonder if vendors in general generate much dislike because we always feel that we are getting the shorter end of the stick in any deal or trade. Human nature.

That could well have something to do with it. Chinese in south east asia also have a strong vending tradition.

In regards to Jews, they were more likely to become vendors in Europe because land ownership was either directly forbidden or "frowned upon" for them. Being a land owner at that time usually meant managing sharecroppers or "holding" / owning serfs. Locals always viewed Jews as somewhat foreign and did not want them in authority over gentiles.

Other factors could include:

- Education. Jews and south east asian Chinese both culturally emphasize education. In a pure practical sense, education allowed Jews access to more wealth. Access to more wealth usually meant better police protection. It also allowed Jews to live in better areas where better educated locals were less likely to be violently anti semitic.

But.... a cultural emphasis on education leads to a new stereotype. Now, they are all 'rich' and sense many are involved in vending, many are stereotypically "rich businessmen" cheating locals.

- "Foreigness". In past generation, nearly all countries in Europe were homogenous (all Germans, French, Russians, Poles etc.) Jews could live in a nation for centuries or a thousand years and still be seen by a certain number of locals as being vaguely foreign, from "somewhere else" and not truly part of a homogenous nation. Same with ethnic Chinese in south east Asia.

- Group identification Jews and ethnic Chinese still exist as identifiable ethnic / cultural groups. This allows them to preserve there culture for future generations. But, it also means they are seen as a group. When individuals are jerks, they are stereotyped as jewish jerks and not an individual jerk who happen to be say, catholic.

As a side note, I once knew a Jewish man. One day I saw him visibly upset after a brief business contact with another person who turned out be be Jewish as well. I asked him what was wrong and he eventually told me that the man was "living the stereotype" regarding extreme penny pinching in business and this still hurt Jews as a group. Had the man been any other ethnic group, he would of just been seen as an individual jerk. But when individual jews are jerks, it still tends to get applied to the entire group.

Last edited:
Hi all. Since some people were asking about denominational differences, I wanted to give an insiders perspective, since a dictionary or encyclopedia definition of an Orthodox or Conservative Jew isn't necessarily going to represent the complex range of observance. My own identification is typically complex: I grew up going to an Orthodox synagogue, and still sometimes go to Orthodox services; my practice and belief probably puts me closest to the more traditional end of the Conservative movement, but I've never actually been a member of a synagogue affiliated with the movement - like many active Jews of the younger generation, I've gravitated toward smaller, independent "minyanim" (prayer groups) that might look more or less like a typical Conservative service, but that avoids institutional labels. That may be one explanation for why the victims were all older; the 50 + contingent are those that may be most likely to still be members of the more traditional, big congregation.

Theologically, the main difference between the Orthodox and Conservative movements involves the status of the oral law. Both movements, in theory, believe that the Torah (Bible) comes from G-d and that we are obligated to follow His commandments. The Orthodox movement, however, gives a similarly elevated status to that Talmud, or oral law: essentially, a tradition passed down by successive generations of rabbis. Because of the belief that the rabbis of the earlier generations were inspired and closer to G-d, Orthodoxy tends to treat their interpretations of laws as equally binding, so there is not as much room for change by later generations. The Conservative movement respects the tradition, but does not see it as equally binding and thus later generations can interpret the biblical laws in other, generally more lenient ways.

In practice, there is a lot of variation, even in terms of belief. This is true of both communities, but probably to a greater extent in the conservative movement, where I expect if you asked most people who belong to conservative congregations "What does Conservative Judaism believe about the written and oral law, respectively?" they probably wouldn't be able to answer and some wouldn't be sure what the oral law is. That would, however, probably not be true of the types of conservative Jews who are regular attending services, who would probably have a somewhat firmer grasp, whether or not they themselves subscribed to these positions (I would say that overwhelmingly, conservative Jews do not believe that the Bible is the direct word of G-d). Probably the most visible difference, at a service, involves the status of women: almost all Conservative synagogues are now fully gender-egalitarian, whereas in most Orthodox services, men and women sit separately, and women do not have any ritual role during services.

In lifestyle, both groups, again, vary widely. On the right of Orthodoxy, or the "ultra-Orthodox," you have certain groups that are living more or less isolated lives of extremely stringent observance. Many of these groups have very high rates of poverty, as they have many children and the fathers often study Torah rather than getting jobs outside the community, which their religious based educatino may not have prepared them for anyway. Other ultra-Orthodox groups - namely, the Lubavitch/Chabad -- mix more with the world, but still maintain a very strict standard of observance that infuses every facet of their lives.

Modern Orthodox Jews more or less live in the everyday world. A lot of them would dress in ways that might make them identifiably Jewish to outsiders (i.e, wearing a yarmulke/skullcap), but almost all of them go to secular universities, hold secular, usually professional jobs, etc. As in any community, some people may theoretically ID as Modern Orthodox because they grew up in the community and still believe nominally in its precepts, even though their observance has become lax in fundamental ways. This would be less possible, however, in an ultra-Orthodox community ,where deviance from the norm is not tolerated. On the left wing of MO, there are now people testing some of the boundaries of halacha (Jewish law) involving things like women's participation and the status of homosexuality; these people are not willing to go as far as the other movements because they still take a limited view of how much power later generations have to overrule earlier ones, but they are looking for ways within halacha to advance on social justice issues.

On the rightmost edge of the Conservative movement, you have people who are indistinguishable from a MO person in terms of observance, but may be committed to full gender egalitarianism. On the left, you have people who may observe almost no aspects of traditional Judaism, but when they go to a service, prefer the more traditional liturgy of Conservative Judaism to Reform Judaism's more flexible services. But on average, I'd say the active conservative Jew is someone for whom Judaism is the core of their identity and a big part of their lives, but not necessarily something that is guiding their daily actions to the same extent as an Orthodox Jew: they celebrate Shabbat and holidays with varying levels of stringency, may be active in Jewish social and volunteer organizations, etc, but on a random Tuesday, they probably aren't going to go to daily prayers, and even if they follow some dietary laws, they probably won't have to stress about finding the nearest kosher restaurant because they're willing to eat vegetarian food without a kosher certification. They may observe traditional Shabbat restrictions against all forms of labor (including using electricity, driving, etc), or they may make a practice of doing the Friday night rituals at their family dinner, go to services, but then be perfectly willing to go to a movie later in the afternoon.

Hope this is helpful. Thank you to everyone who has expressed their well-wishes to the community - while I have no Pittsburgh connections, the Jewish community is small enough that this hits close to home for all of us, and it is heartening to see so many people showing their support.

Gab, the social network used by the Pittsburgh suspect, has been taken offline

Gab has been taken offline following revelations that the suspected Pittsburgh synagogue gunman used the social network to threaten Jews.

A statement on the platform's website Monday said it would be "inaccessible for a period of time" after several web hosting services declined its business.

Gab said on Twitter that it has been banned from using payment processors Stripe and PayPal, as well as cloud hosting service Joyent. It said online publisher Medium had also removed its posts.

PayPal (PYPL) confirmed that it would not allow Gab to use its platform to manage donations from users.

"When a site is explicitly allowing the perpetuation of hate, violence or discriminatory intolerance, we take immediate and decisive action," PayPal said in a statement.

“There have been more than 1,600 mass shootings since Sandy Hook”
America’s unique gun violence problem, explained in 17 maps and charts

—-

2016 and 2017:
Active Shooter Incidents in the United States in 2016 and 2017 — FBI

2017 Data:
https://ovc.ncjrs.gov/ncvrw2018/info_flyers/fact_sheets/2018NCVRW_MassCasualty_508_QC.pdf

—-

There have been 154 mass shootings in the US so far in 2018 — here's the full list

“There have been nearly as many US mass shootings as days in 2018.“

(Omg :( )

—-

ETA:
Mass shootings in the U.S.: When, where they have occurred in 2018

“The number of mass shootings around the country in 2018 continues to climb.

According to data from the Gun Violence Archive, a total of 293 mass shooting incidents have occurred as of October 27.

Saturday's mass shooting at a synagogue in Pittsburgh, with 'multiple casualties' and multiple officers injured, marks the 294th mass shooting.

In 2017, the U.S. saw a total of 346 mass shootings.”

Mass Shootings
shootingtracker.com
Interesting. Most of those shootings are either gang related, drive-by or house party shootings.

Defensive use of guns in 2017 was 2, 113, from your link.

Last edited:

Hit your SM!

Im sorry but the Press is not the enemy and it is anti-american to say so.

The Pittsburgh killings targeted Jews — and America's soul - CNNPolitics

“(CNN) The mass killing at a Pittsburgh synagogue, the deadliest anti-Semitic incident in US history, has Jewish Americans questioning whether they are now fated to live with the fear and threats at home that their community has long endured around the world.

The attack represents a flagrant challenge to America's core values — that people of every race or religion are endowed with the same inalienable rights. Suddenly, these fundamental beliefs are being tested in a divisive new political era that targets a shadowy concept of The Other: Muslims, Mexicans, Middle Easterners.“

This tweet captures what many American Jews are feeling after the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/10/29/us...vor-trnd/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/

“Amanda Golden, a producer for CNN and Jake Tapper's show, "The Lead," shared on Twitter the text messages that her mother, a first-generation American and the daughter of Holocaust survivors, sent to her in the wake of the tragedy when she attended an interfaith service at a reform synagogue in San Francisco.
My mother is a first-generation American, and the daughter of Holocaust survivors. She went to our synagogue today. With her permission I am sharing some of our conversation because I think it captures what many American Jews are feeling right now. pic.twitter.com/ihBZs1qrhP

— Amanda Golden (@amandawgolden) October 28, 2018
Golden believes the messages capture what many American Jews are feeling right now: a delicate balancing act between the urge to remember what happened in Europe in the 1940s, a somber look at the present situation in America and the need to go forward, despite the worsening outlook.”
Twitter

-I’m having trouble with Twitter, can someone please embed the tweet here, tia.)

Image from the tweet:
DqoXznkWwAEKgvq

DqoXznkXQAELAC-

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqoXznkXQAELAC-?format=jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqoXznkWwAEKgvq?format=jpg
Link to tweet:
Amanda Golden on Twitter

Gab has been taken offline following revelations that the suspected Pittsburgh synagogue gunman used the social network to threaten Jews.

A statement on the platform's website Monday said it would be "inaccessible for a period of time" after several web hosting services declined its business.

Gab said on Twitter that it has been banned from using payment processors Stripe and PayPal, as well as cloud hosting service Joyent. It said online publisher Medium had also removed its posts. PayPal (PYPL) confirmed that it would not allow Gab to use its platform to manage donations from users.

These types of service boycotts should be applied to all Gab type sites. As a side note, Stormfront had their server service terminated as well and other providers then boycotted the site. That effectively closed it down (at least on a large scale, the owner may of cobbled enough resources together for a reduced version).
Oldest white supremacist site, stormfront.org, shut down

The founder of Gab is a software engineer. But even he must rely on outside resources to operate Gab on a large scale. With out those resources, my bet is that Gab gets reduced to a small scale, hard to use / hard to maintain site on the dark web. This will cut way down on the violent gabbing.

Non domestic jihadi sites maybe more difficult to service boycott as foreign service providers may not cut services. Evens still, I bet a concentrated effort by to “turn off” forum software, video software, server access, easy payments, etc. will also impact Jihadi websites.

I would encourage members of this forum to get educated about the techno aspects of running a forum, then inform key service providers of violent sites and their content.

Such efforts, however, should be limited to sites that promote, encourage or exhort violence. Or sites that demonize entire groups with suggestions that violence is justified. In the end, it is more beneficial to present service providers with just clear cut examples of the worst of the worst.

In fact, those running this forum have direct knowledge about the techno services needed to run a large forum. They should post these details so that members with knowledge of violence encouraging websites know which businesses to present information to.

Last edited:
These types of service boycotts should be applied to all Gab type sites. As a side note, Stormfront had their server service terminated as well and other providers then boycotted the site. That effectively closed it down (at least on a large scale, the owner may of cobbled enough resources together for a reduced version).
Oldest white supremacist site, stormfront.org, shut down

The founder of Gab is a software engineer. But even he must rely on outside resources to operate Gab on a large scale. With out those resources, my bet is that Gab gets reduced to a small scale, hard to use / hard to maintain site on the dark web. This will cut way down on the violent gabbing.

Non domestic jihadi sites maybe more difficult to service boycott as foreign service providers may not cut services. Evens still, I bet a concentrated effort by to “turn off” forum software, video software, server access, easy payments, etc. will also impact Jihadi websites.

I would encourage members of this forum to get educated about the techno aspects of running a forum, then inform key service providers of violent sites and their content.

Such efforts, however, should be limited to sites that promote, encourage or exhort violence. Or sites that demonize entire groups with suggestions that violence is justified. In the end, it is more beneficial to present service providers with just clear cut examples of the worst of the worst.

In fact, those running this forum have direct knowledge about the techno services needed to run a large forum. They should post these details so that members with knowledge of violence encouraging websites know which businesses to present information to.

100% agree, alot of bad people use these sites.

100% agree, alot of bad people use these sites.
I am going to pm the owner of this forum and see if she can post details about what resources are needed to run something like this and how to get them. Then it is only a matter of figuring out what service companies are facilitating violent sites and telling them about why the site goes way beyond "not being pc"

I am going to pm the owner of this forum and see if she can post details about what resources are needed to run something like this and how to get them. Then it is only a matter of figuring out what service companies are facilitating violent sites and telling them about why the site goes way beyond "not being pc"
Good idea.
I despise the people who try to justify hate speech as "not being pc"
There is so much "the world is too pc because I cant say hateful, insulting, racist or sexist things anymore"

American Citizens (and American Christians) used to actually believe that opposing desegregation and advocating that POC were lesser life forms was justified. That it was rightous and thw way things should be.
Look at how we look at them now, we cant fathom (well most of us) that those beliefs would be in the ballpark of being right. The same will happen to those who rail against efforts made to dissolve the acceptability of being offensive and disrespectful to POC, Women and other groups in everyday life.

20 years from now which side of history will you be on?
- The side of inclusion, freedom of press, pursuit of truth and humanity
- The side of divisiveness, alternative facts to justify narratives, fight to create a nation of w. Nationalism and determination to disregard the melting pot that this country was built on

Gab said on Twitter that it has been banned from using payment processors Stripe and PayPal, as well as cloud hosting service Joyent. It said online publisher Medium had also removed its posts.

PayPal (PYPL) confirmed that it would not allow Gab to use its platform to manage donations from users.

"When a site is explicitly allowing the perpetuation of hate, violence or discriminatory intolerance, we take immediate and decisive action," PayPal said in a statement.

Yes, GAB is gone- for now- but others are still functioning- the one with chan in its name was still up earlier. Just Google.

And GAB founder Andrew Torba, a self- proclaimed patriot, set up a platform where folks can spew evil, but when it’s spewed at him it’s not ok.
From Andrew Torba’s Twitter—
“We were backing up the server in light of being no platformed by our hosting provider. Please pray for us. Our families, our friends, and our community are all under attack. “
Comments Repost

GAB made it possible to attack people and people are now dead. Dead.

Mr. Torba and his “family and friends and community get attacked” on the internet, not in their houses of worship or their homes.
The Torbas are still alive. 11 people in Squirrel Hill are not.

O, the hypocrisy Mr. Torba.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23