Found Deceased CANADA - Ben Kilmer, 41, Cowichan, 16 May 2018

No they wouldn’t be able to track that. Something happened and it happened really fast. Split disicion. There’s something else going on here. Same day as the other guys in Ucluelet.

There are tons of reasons for a dog to lose a scent, they would likely even lose it if he walked across the highway.

Sorry, if you can't tell, I'm in the 'nothing suspicious and he committed suicide' camp.

If you check out the missing page for him on Facebook there are pictures and you can tell he's an outdoorsy guy, and I'm sure it's been in articles before. He would have no trouble hiking for 10km in any footwear. His wife originally was saying there were specific special places to him that they should search that were at out in nature. To me, that's a big hint right there.

I always found it very odd that the dogs tracked Ben's scent to the pond (just a short distance from the van) but then lost the scent at the pond. How could he (his scent) just disappear like that? I now strongly believe Ben intentionally walked through the pond in an attempt to hide his scent from tracking dogs. Makes me think he did not want his family to find him for some time. R.I.P. Ben.

There are tons of reasons for a dog to lose a scent, they would likely even lose it if he walked across the highway.

Sorry, if you can't tell, I'm in the 'nothing suspicious and he committed suicide' camp.
Makes sense. I’m totally open to your camp I think and hope that’s what happened to him. It’s still just odd he went to the pond then way up into chemainus river.

Been watching and listening, and reading; but I gotta say; nothing here makes sense... most recently the police's quick conclusion of no foul play, and lack of any further information. No explanation of smashed cellphone, running vehicle, or lack of any scent trail beyond immediate area.

As soon as I heard the 2 missing from Tofino had sailed from South America I knew it was drugs, and as soon as I heard about Ben I felt he was connected somehow. Just my 2 cents worth.

Is it possible he got out of the van to relieve himself and a cougar got him? I know cougars drag and hide their kill to a secluded area but I don't know how far they take it. I would imagine that it would be evident if it were an animal attack, so that would rule out foul play and that might be why he left his truck running. . . just a thought.

Is it possible he got out of the van to relieve himself and a cougar got him? I know cougars drag and hide their kill to a secluded area but I don't know how far they take it. I would imagine that it would be evident if it were an animal attack, so that would rule out foul play and that might be why he left his truck running. . . just a thought.
I would think that might be of public interest to know that, if that were the case... but yet no particulars are being offered.... which seems to be typical in suicide cases. jmo.

I think there would have been a lot of blood around if this was the case, either in the van or along the trail to the pond somewhere. Cougars scratch and bite which would leave a mess.

Cougars killing humans is pretty rare. Wikipedia says about 20 ever in North America. From their list, only about 5 on Vancouver Island and they were all children. It just so happens there were two adults killed this year in the PNW, so it has been in the news.

Leading causes of death for middle-age men in Canada:
1. Diseases
2. Accidents
3. Suicide

It is a private issue, police will never publicize it, family rarely do. The case is closed.
That's too bad if it's going to be the case. This problem (middle-age men suicide) is very real and growing. The case what happen to Ben is highly publicized and the family and friends should keep the momentum going to raise awareness and potentially save hundreds of lives. Ben had lots of friends apparently and loving family and yet he decided to end it all and nobody seen this coming or they didn't know how to help? Could such a tragic outcome had been avoided?

What other causes of death are there?? You're either sick, accidental or suicide.... I suppose murder.

I recall when those 2 other men went missing, before they were found murdered, police were not calling Ben's case the same as theirs.. IIRC they were calling the 2 men's case 'suspicious', but not Ben's. Therefore I speculate that Ben's mental condition may have been known to insiders and police, and that this outcome has expected.. although perhaps hopes were up somewhat because he had not been found. jmo.

I have been busy and just found out the news about Ben's body being found.
While I was previously skeptical about his disappearance, I have to say that I believe LE, that Ben died of his own actions.

Mental health issues can be powerful and devastating. Anyone can break.

I wish I could reach across the country and hug Ben's family personally. I hope they understand that Ben's actions were not their fault. I hope they understand that Ben's actions were seen by Ben as a way to save his family from his perceived 'failures', even if we know he wasn't a failure.

Where's my tissue?

Rest in peace Ben.

I have been busy and just found out the news about Ben's body being found.
While I was previously skeptical about his disappearance, I have to say that I believe LE, that Ben died of his own actions.

Mental health issues can be powerful and devastating. Anyone can break.

I wish I could reach across the country and hug Ben's family personally. I hope they understand that Ben's actions were not their fault. I hope they understand that Ben's actions were seen by Ben as a way to save his family from his perceived 'failures', even if we know he wasn't a failure.

Where's my tissue?

Rest in peace Ben.

Dear Snoopster,

Thank you so much for expressing this with such deep compassion and respect.

Your genuine kindness and perception are always greatly appreciated on these threads.

Rest in Peace, Ben.

May Ben's loved ones hold one another close during this difficult time.

Snoopster and zenconpass - eloquent as always. Appreciate you two. And everyone who followed BK.

I was raised to believe that a person who chooses to commit suicide will go to “hell”. As I have learned and grown in my beliefs - my opinion changed. It took knowing someone personally, who made the decision to leave this earthly world, to gain understanding and compassion.

My heart hurts for the family of Ben Kilmer. My hear hurts that BK felt he had no other way. The ones left behind suffer endlessly...and for that I am truly sorry.

Dear Snoopster,

Thank you so much for expressing this with such deep compassion and respect.

Your genuine kindness and perception are always greatly appreciated on these threads.

Rest in Peace, Ben.

May Ben's loved ones hold one another close during this difficult time.

You are so kind.
But more importantly, you care about people. Thank you.

Snoopster and zenconpass - eloquent as always. Appreciate you two. And everyone who followed BK.

I was raised to believe that a person who chooses to commit suicide will go to “hell”. As I have learned and grown in my beliefs - my opinion changed. It took knowing someone personally, who made the decision to leave this earthly world, to gain understanding and compassion.

My heart hurts for the family of Ben Kilmer. My hear hurts that BK felt he had no other way. The ones left behind suffer endlessly...and for that I am truly sorry.

You kept an open mind and heart. You understand that people taking their lives due to depression aren't really taking the 'easy way out'. They actually think they are helping others.

You are a kind soul cpeacock1. I'm sorry that you had someone close to you who took their life. I am fortunate that I haven't had someone close to me actually take that step. I have had several close family members suffer with depression. If they could change their depressive attitude they would do it in an instance. Unfortunately it's just not that simple.

To all of you out their who are struggling, and to all of you out there who have loved ones who are struggling, I am thinking of you tonight.

Warmest hugs. You matter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back