FL - Chad Oulson, 43, killed in Wesley Chapel theater shooting, 13 Jan 2014 *Former LE arrest*

Thank you SeesSeas, for posting those links! The court event form indicated that the next court date is August 24, 1 p.m.

Lawyers seek new stand your ground hearing in Pasco theater shooting
Published: August 23, 2018
Updated: August 24, 2018 at 10:59 AM

The case of the retired Tampa police captain accused of shooting a man in a Pasco County movie theater will return to court Friday as defense lawyers seek a new stand your ground hearing.

Attorneys for Curtis Reeves have renewed their call for a judge to grant him immunity from prosecution under the controversial self-defense law, citing a recent change in the law, which shifted the burden of proof in such cases to prosecutors.

If the judge declines, Reeves’ lawyers want a February trial date postponed until after the Florida Supreme Court decides whether the new law can apply retroactively.
[...]

Reeves trial removed from calendar; judge wants SYG clarification
August 24, 2018 @2:04 PM
[...]
Reeves invoked the state's stand your ground law. After a two-week hearing in the spring of 2017, Judge Susan Barthle rejected that argument.
However on Friday, she said she wanted to wait until the Florida Supreme Court rules on the retroactivity of previous stand your ground cases.
[...]

Trial postponed in Pasco theater shooting due to stand your ground uncertainty
Published: August 24, 2018
Updated: August 24, 2018 at 03:31 PM

DADE CITY — Curtis Reeves won’t go to trial anytime soon.
A judge, after hearing arguments from prosecutors and defense attorneys, decided to postpone the retired Tampa police captain’s February trial due to uncertainty about whether he should get a new stand your ground hearing.
[...]
"This case just isn’t ripe for trial," Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Judge Susan Barthle said, reversing her earlier decision setting the date for next spring.
The judge said she was concerned about moving forward, only to be told later that another stand your ground hearing should have been conducted. She also said she wanted to avoid unnecessarily spending time and taxpayer money on another hearing.
"I think I’d rather have multiple root canals than go through another stand your ground hearing of that length," Barthle said.
[...]

Trial postponed in Pasco theater shooting due to stand your ground uncertainty
Published: August 24, 2018
Updated: August 24, 2018 at 03:31 PM

DADE CITY — Curtis Reeves won’t go to trial anytime soon.
A judge, after hearing arguments from prosecutors and defense attorneys, decided to postpone the retired Tampa police captain’s February trial due to uncertainty about whether he should get a new stand your ground hearing.
[...]
"This case just isn’t ripe for trial," Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Judge Susan Barthle said, reversing her earlier decision setting the date for next spring.
The judge said she was concerned about moving forward, only to be told later that another stand your ground hearing should have been conducted. She also said she wanted to avoid unnecessarily spending time and taxpayer money on another hearing.
"I think I’d rather have multiple root canals than go through another stand your ground hearing of that length," Barthle said.
[...]

"This case just isn’t ripe for trial"

What the heck does THAT mean? This stuff is a crock. The guy shot someone who tossed popcorn at him in a theater!
He was ready with the gun, so it wasn't a 'reaction'.

"This case just isn’t ripe for trial"

What the heck does THAT mean? This stuff is a crock. The guy shot someone who tossed popcorn at him in a theater!
He was ready with the gun, so it wasn't a 'reaction'.

Unfortunately, it means we have to wait until the Florida Supreme Court decides if he gets a new hearing. It would be a waste of taxpayers' money to hold a trial before that decision is made. moo

From SS's link:

"A judge, after hearing arguments Friday from prosecutors and defense attorneys, decided to postpone the retired Tampa police captain’s February murder trial due to uncertainty about whether he should get a new stand your ground hearing."

"But a recent change to the law shifted the burden of proof in such cases from the defense to prosecutors. Courts across the state have issued conflicting opinions about whether the new law can apply to pending cases, meaning the Florida Supreme Court will have to decide."

Last edited:

Thanks, SeesSeas, for posting this.

I will always remember the audio of Curtis Reeves being interviewed in the Theater parking lot by Sheriff's Detective Allen Proctor immediately after he shot Chad Oulson. He had such a cavalier attitude about what he had just done, even referring to the "ball" ammo he used for the weapon, his "pocket pistol": "That's some good stuff!" (Or something to that effect.)

Thanks, SeesSeas, for posting this.

I will always remember the audio of Curtis Reeves being interviewed in the Theater parking lot by Sheriff's Detective Allen Proctor immediately after he shot Chad Oulson. He had such a cavalier attitude about what he had just done, even referring to the "ball" ammo he used for the weapon, his "pocket pistol": "That's some good stuff!" (Or something to that effect.)
Yes, he was chuckling, cocky and arrogant in that interview, feeling hopeful that his fellow boys in blue would cover for him. IMO
Here's the 30 minute audio link:
http://curtisreevestrial.com/files/1993.mp3

Yes, he was chuckling, cocky and arrogant in that interview, feeling hopeful that his fellow boys in blue would cover for him. IMO
Here's the 30 minute audio link:
http://curtisreevestrial.com/files/1993.mp3

Exactly! Thanks, again, for the link. That interview is unbelievable. He just knew that after a few sentences out of his mouth, all would be set right and the cuffs would come off as some big, huge mistake!

I really believe that once his authority was taken away, due to full retirement, he felt flaccid and powerless. That gun made him feel like a big man. He had never shot his gun in 27 years of law enforcement -- but after he retired, he was always looking for an opportunity. I also believe that he was an abusive husband -- not necessarily physically abusive. Just my opinion -- not based on fact.

Exactly! Thanks, again, for the link. That interview is unbelievable. He just knew that after a few sentences out of his mouth, all would be set right and the cuffs would come off as some big, huge mistake!

I really believe that once his authority was taken away, due to full retirement, he felt flaccid and powerless. That gun made him feel like a big man. He had never shot his gun in 27 years of law enforcement -- but after he retired, he was always looking for an opportunity. I also believe that he was an abusive husband -- not necessarily physically abusive. Just my opinion -- not based on fact.
I agree. "abusive husband" reminded me of this testimony:
Witness: Wife chided Reeves after theater shooting and he told her to shut her mouth
Updated: March 2, 2017 at 01:03 PM
DADE CITY — Sumter County sheriff's Sgt. Alan Hamilton
Hamilton testified Wednesday as a prosecution witness. [...]

Hamilton said he overheard an exchange between Reeves and his wife, Vivian.

"He pointed his finger at her and told her to shut her mouth and to not say another f- - - - - - word," Hamilton testified.

Reeves' comment, according to Hamilton, had followed an admonition by the wife.

"That was no cause to shoot that man," Hamilton said he heard Vivian Reeves say.

In testimony during the defense portion of the two-week hearing, Reeves' wife had denied the statements attributed to her and her husband.

"I said, 'What happened, you can't shoot into a theater full of people,' or something like that," she recalled.

I agree. "abusive husband" reminded me of this testimony:
Witness: Wife chided Reeves after theater shooting and he told her to shut her mouth
Updated: March 2, 2017 at 01:03 PM
DADE CITY — Sumter County sheriff's Sgt. Alan Hamilton
Hamilton testified Wednesday as a prosecution witness. [...]

Hamilton said he overheard an exchange between Reeves and his wife, Vivian.

"He pointed his finger at her and told her to shut her mouth and to not say another f- - - - - - word," Hamilton testified.

Reeves' comment, according to Hamilton, had followed an admonition by the wife.

"That was no cause to shoot that man," Hamilton said he heard Vivian Reeves say.

In testimony during the defense portion of the two-week hearing, Reeves' wife had denied the statements attributed to her and her husband.

"I said, 'What happened, you can't shoot into a theater full of people,' or something like that," she recalled.

Right, SeesSeas, she really recanted and was almost belligerent on the stand. Maybe, after being confined with him for such a long period of time, she'll revert back to the truth. Can you imagine being cooped up with him? You know he has to be even more angry and explosive now after being on house arrest. I would not want to be in her shoes. I think I'd rather be a black widow! (LOL)

I am glad that Manny Garcia (prosecutor) is able to bring this to trial. He really impressed me in the previous proceedings in this case.

I don't find any recent news report about the upcoming trial of Curtis Reeves.
Trial scheduled to start Monday, 2/25/19, per court docket:
https://www.civitekflorida.com/ocrs/county/51/
REEVES, CURTIS JUDSON

Case Number Filed Date County Case Type Status Contested
512014CF000216CFAXES 01/13/2014 PASCO Felony 22-D OPEN No

Event Date Judge Docket Type Location Prosecutor Defendant Attorney
02/20/2019 09:00 BARTHLE, SUSAN G CALENDAR CALL ES A MARTIN, GLENN LAIR ESCOBAR, RICHARD
02/25/2019 09:00 BARTHLE, SUSAN G JURY TRIAL ES A MARTIN, GLENN LAIR ESCOBAR, RICHARD
03/04/2019 09:00 BARTHLE, SUSAN G JURY TRIAL ES A MARTIN, GLENN LAIR ESCOBAR, RICHARD
03/11/2019 09:00 BARTHLE, SUSAN G JURY TRIAL ES A MARTIN, GLENN LAIR ESCOBAR, RICHARD

I don't find any recent news report about the upcoming trial of Curtis Reeves.
Trial scheduled to start Monday, 2/25/19, per court docket:
REEVES, CURTIS JUDSON

Case Number Filed Date County Case Type Status Contested
512014CF000216CFAXES 01/13/2014 PASCO Felony 22-D OPEN No

02/20/2019 09:00 BARTHLE, SUSAN G CALENDAR CALL ES A MARTIN, GLENN LAIR ESCOBAR, RICHARD
02/25/2019 09:00 BARTHLE, SUSAN G JURY TRIAL ES A MARTIN, GLENN LAIR ESCOBAR, RICHARD
03/04/2019 09:00 BARTHLE, SUSAN G JURY TRIAL ES A MARTIN, GLENN LAIR ESCOBAR, RICHARD
03/11/2019 09:00 BARTHLE, SUSAN G JURY TRIAL ES A MARTIN, GLENN LAIR ESCOBAR, RICHARD

Thanks SeesSeas! Looks like the original prosecutor, Manuel Garcia, has been transferred. There will be a different prosecutor (Glenn Lair Martin) for the trial. I hope he's as passionate about this case as his predecessor!

This case is five (5) years old. Time to go to trial.

Last edited:
Thanks SeesSeas! Looks like the original prosecutor, Manuel Garcia, has been transferred. There will be a different prosecutor (Glenn Lair Martin) for the trial. I hope he's as passionate about this case as his predecessor!

This case is five (5) years old. Time to go to trial.
There also appears to be a different Judge - KEMBA JOHNSON LEWIS:
02/25/2019 09:00 LEWIS, KEMBA JOHNSON JURY TRIAL ES D MARTIN, GLENN LAIR ESCOBAR, RICHARD

http://www.curtisreevestrial.com/files/1105.pdf

upload_2019-2-22_20-8-58.png

This is going to be an interesting trial. I agree 5 years is long enough to drag it out.

Right, SeesSeas, she really recanted and was almost belligerent on the stand. Maybe, after being confined with him for such a long period of time, she'll revert back to the truth. Can you imagine being cooped up with him? You know he has to be even more angry and explosive now after being on house arrest. I would not want to be in her shoes. I think I'd rather be a black widow! (LOL)

My perception is the two couples were strangely similar. Case in point, victim's wife attempted to control victim. Holding him back. The body language in the video is victim was confrontational as much as Mr. Reeves. Mr. Reeves wife clearly indicated she didn't approve of her husbands actions. Victims wife was injured during her attempt to control her husband.

Now the alleged suspect, former law enforcement officer Curtis Reeves gives me grumpy old man vibe. Although we have some wonderful law enforcement officers, we all know some that are power hungry, and know more than the next guy.

I was formerly married to a law enforcement officer, and have several family members in law enforcement. Sometimes the job just goes to their head.

Just my opinion. Both suspect and victim couldn't control their anger and outburst despite the wives

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back