Found Deceased MO - Darnell Gray, 4, Jefferson City, 24 Oct 2018 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Through a press release, Lieutenant David Williams with the Jefferson City Police Department said they made the arrest as a result of interviews and interrogations. The 26-year-old female caregiver is being held in the Cole County Jail with a pending 1st degree child abuse charge.”

THIS JUST IN: Arrest Made in Death of 4-Year-Old

Sounds like she maybe led them to Darnell’s body?? Or not? Thoughts?

I tend to think not because of this:

He said the medical examiner was called in. At the time of the news conference, Williams said it was too early to determine how Darnell Gray died.
If they didn't know how he died, I doubt she confessed anything.

Someone commented here...or in Hazana's thread....or in Madddox's thread...(I think you get the picture) a similar comment. I really do wonder, is it just that with SM and the 24/7 365 news cycle that we're hearing about these cases more or is it truly happening more than say 30 years ago?? These poor children day after day. I tend to think it's because of today's ease of access to information that we're hearing about these cases more. I think the same thing was going on 30 years ago, we just didn't hear about it unless it was happening in our "backyards" so to speak.
It was happening back then too. My mom was a teacher and dad was in administration and they could tell horrific stories of abuse even way back when.

Is there an overall increase in these types of incidents or has it always been this bad and we just didn't know about it? I wonder what recent stats tell us.
Children/infants have historically been seen as disposable, for example in ancient Greece and Rome a father or a master, if the woman were a slave, could decide if a newborn should be killed or let to live.

In Sweden unwanted children could be placed in foster homes where they were neglected and often died, until the beginning of the 20th century, the foster "moms" where known as änglamakerskor (angel makers). One of the most notorious angel makers were Hilda Nilsson, Hilda Nilsson - Wikipedia , she was sentenced to death in 1917.

In late-Victorian Britain there were baby farmers, Baby farming - Wikipedia , one of those baby farmers perhaps killed more than 200 infants, only 12 confirmed.

Last edited:
I'm glad she is behind bars. IIRC, wasn't she the one that passed on the rumor that he was located? MSM said the father heard about that one sighting and she spread that rumor. Can you imagine her saying he was located to reporters knowing damn well what she did and where he was? I want her charged for that too, and any other damn thing I could come up with.!!! IMO

It was happening back then too. My mom was a teacher and dad was in administration and they could tell horrific stories of abuse even way back when.

What makes my blood boil is called CPS as a mandatory reporter, and the caseworker on the phone is basically either extremely confrontational, or expects that I have a kid in front of me, with a broken arm, and the child says, "My Stepfather broke my arm.".

Well, it isn't like that. As a teacher, you see things, pick up on issues of neglect, abuse, but my role is not an investigator! Geez, I did my part, I documented and reported a concern. End. My experience as a teacher with CPS has been less than favorable. To the point that I had no desire to further be involved with those agencies. I have retired from teaching, and the great irony is that a state called me to start a training program for caseworkers, on contract. No thanks. CPS is a mess. I had no desire to be involved.

Children/infants have historically been seen as disposable, for example in ancient Greece and Rome a father or a master, if the woman were a slave, could decide if a newborn shoud be killed or let to live.

Here in the US when families traveled across the country to settle the west, children would be left behind along the trail when they were sick or injured or if the family just didn't have enough food or supplies. It was such a long journey, women would get pregnant along the trail, have the baby, and just abandon it. It's very difficult to imagine.

What makes my blood boil is called CPS as a mandatory reporter, and the caseworker on the phone is basically either extremely confrontational, or expects that I have a kid in front of me, with a broken arm, and the child says, "My Stepfather broke my arm.".

Well, it isn't like that. As a teacher, you see things, pick up on issues of neglect, abuse, but my role is not an investigator! Geez, I did my part, I documented and reported a concern. End. My experience as a teacher with CPS has been less than favorable. To the point that I had no desire to further be involved with those agencies. I have retired from teaching, and the great irony is that a state called me to start a training program for caseworkers, on contract. No thanks. CPS is a mess. I had no desire to be involved.

My line of work used to deal heavily with CPS, and I agree: it's a mess. What is worse, though, is that the caseworkers know it is a mess and are powerless to do anything. They are woefully underfunded and overworked.

I remember meeting with a caseworker at her office and there were files stacked to the ceiling; it was literally almost like a hoarder's den with only a small path to her desk, which was barely visible. I said, "Wow! Are these from all the kids you've ever worked with?" and she laughed and said, "Girl, no. Those are in the file room. These are just the kids I have to follow up on this month." That was years ago and it still stays with me.

Yet, year after year, I see reckless politicians slashing social/welfare programs. People don't realize child protection is in the same budget. We need to make taking care of kids a priority.

Someone commented here...or in Hazana's thread....or in Madddox's thread...(I think you get the picture) a similar comment. I really do wonder, is it just that with SM and the 24/7 365 news cycle that we're hearing about these cases more or is it truly happening more than say 30 years ago?? These poor children day after day. I tend to think it's because of today's ease of access to information that we're hearing about these cases more. I think the same thing was going on 30 years ago, we just didn't hear about it unless it was happening in our "backyards" so to speak.

I do agree with the thought "The good ole days weren't really all that good."

I think the internet has made many of these tragedies more known. I also wonder how many are due to like a "copy cat" effect. Where they normally wouldn't have thought or known to do certain acts, reading about others gives them ideas?

I do agree with the thought "The good ole days weren't really all that good."

I think the internet has made many of these tragedies more known. I also wonder how many are due to like a "copy cat" effect. Where they normally wouldn't have thought or known to do certain acts, reading about others gives them ideas?
Yes it does make you wonder,as cases are similar through the era's

Admittedly I am not a parent, and thus I don’t understand the challenges parents face. But I get *so* angry that people leave their precious children in the care of just anyone. This seems to happen over and over. This baby boy should be trick-or-treating tonight! Where were his protectors?
Dad was working. Don't know about mom's whereabouts, maybe she was working too. Parents can't be with their kids 24/7. I don't know if they were good or bad parents to Darnell but they are probably devastated and blame themselves.

In the majority of these missing children's cases, about 98% of them, in my opinion, end up this way- most especially when there is a "caretaker", "boyfriend/girlfriend", "fiance" or "custody issue" involved. It's almost like watching a remake of the same movie over and over again, only different actors are in it, and some details are changed from the previous movie. This one had a back pack, juice and cookies added in for a nice touch that the little guy decided late at night or early morning to go off on his own adventure, instead of the typical "he was kidnapped" theme, but it ended the same for this darling boy. We still have several kids missing, some parents arrested, some still in jail, and no bodies to show what happened to these children, as the killers are getting smarter now. They know if they hide them really well, that they won't find a COD.

Angers me to no end. No need for these children to be thrown away like yesterday's trash. Give them up to a loving home, or leave the man or woman you are with, if you can't handle helping raising them. No one is twisting these people's arms to raise their own children or someone elses!
ITA

Sometimes I wonder how many children's lives have been saved because of one person notifying the authorities.
The message I wish that the public would understand is to notify someone if you hear or see something that makes you feel that a child could be unsafe. They could be wrong or they could save a child's life. It comes down to it being that simple.
ITA,I hope a lot more are saved than are lost....please

Last edited:
I believe a good deal of issues involving children these days is that they are used as pawns between men and women in relationships. Many men play loose and free expecting women to use birth control or being told they are. Many women use getting pregnant as a way to seal a relationship. Once the baby is born and it doesn't happen that way, and neither wants the child and won't do the grown up thing and put them up for adoption. At the end of the day they are not good parents, never were and never were going to be. The parents that get charged and guilty of endangering the welfare of a child should lose that and any other child PERMANENTLY.

A local case recently here where a Mother drove the children into the river began with her obsession with a guy who ends up being bio Dad to one of the two children (the daughter who drowned). As it turns out the guy is bio Dad to at least two or three more children by two or three other bio Moms and the guy just turned 28. They just don't learn.

JMO
ITA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members