Found Deceased OH - Joni Davis, 55 & Brian Goff, 64, St. Clairsville, 10 June 2018 *found deceased 2021*

Also from the article:

“They are believed to have met with foul play.”

I believe this is new. It certainly isn’t something I was expecting but also explains why the FBI has been brought in, IMO. Why would anyone harm them?

That makes me wonder if someone has been collecting their SS disability benefits payments while they have been "missing".

That makes me wonder if someone has been collecting their SS disability benefits payments while they have been "missing".
And how exactly does that work, if you go missing? There have been a number of cases where someone on SS has passed away naturally, but their deaths not reported to SS and a close relative ( or whoever) continued to collect the deceased's checks. In a case where one is very publicly missing, does SS put checks on hold, or simply continue to send them out until there is resolution? The government has, and does, require unlawful SS payments to be paid back, but something tells me they don't always collect what is owed.

And how exactly does that work, if you go missing? There have been a number of cases where someone on SS has passed away naturally, but their deaths not reported to SS and a close relative ( or whoever) continued to collect the deceased's checks. In a case where one is very publicly missing, does SS put checks on hold, or simply continue to send them out until there is resolution? The government has, and does, require unlawful SS payments to be paid back, but something tells me they don't always collect what is owed.

The government won't automatically stop any SS checks if someone is missing. It's up to the guardians to be honest (not spend the money/notify the government) or they risk fraud charges later and will have to repay it. And I didn't necessarily mean family members. There could also be nurses or other home healthcare workers who might still be getting paid even through they are not making visits anymore. The healthcare workers should have reported that they stopped seeing the person when they went missing and the payments should have stopped, but that doesn't always happen. See Carl Debodie's thread for an extreme abuse case where workers profited from covering up a disabled man's death: Found Deceased - MO - Carl DeBrodie, 31, Fulton, 17 April 2017
In a nutshell: They had an illegal fighting operation in the basement where they made disabled people fight each other. They left Carl to die on a cement floor from his injuries and didn't get him any medical help. Then someone put him in a bin, filled the bin with cement and put the bin in a storage unit. His death was not discovered for months. The people who were supposed to be caring for him kept collecting checks.

Back to Joni and Brian-- they seem to be mostly independent (had their own house) but if they both received disability payments they might have money coming in or some money in the bank.
It could be a caregiver scam like Carl or someone who weaseled their way into their lives, pretending to be a friend in order to gain access to their bank accounts. Hopefully LE is on it and the person responsible won't be walking free for long.

I think if they were getting SS the money was more likely deposited into a bank account via direct deposit than being sent to them by physical checks.

The good thing about that is any activity on their accounts would be immediately obvious. Maybe there was a large withdrawal the day they went missing, before anyone knew they were gone?

The government won't automatically stop any SS checks if someone is missing. It's up to the guardians to be honest (not spend the money/notify the government) or they risk fraud charges later and will have to repay it. And I didn't necessarily mean family members. There could also be nurses or other home healthcare workers who might still be getting paid even through they are not making visits anymore. The healthcare workers should have reported that they stopped seeing the person when they went missing and the payments should have stopped, but that doesn't always happen. See Carl Debodie's thread for an extreme abuse case where workers profited from covering up a disabled man's death: Found Deceased - MO - Carl DeBrodie, 31, Fulton, 17 April 2017
In a nutshell: They had an illegal fighting operation in the basement where they made disabled people fight each other. They left Carl to die on a cement floor from his injuries and didn't get him any medical help. Then someone put him in a bin, filled the bin with cement and put the bin in a storage unit. His death was not discovered for months. The people who were supposed to be caring for him kept collecting checks.

Back to Joni and Brian-- they seem to be mostly independent (had their own house) but if they both received disability payments they might have money coming in or some money in the bank.
It could be a caregiver scam like Carl or someone who weaseled their way into their lives, pretending to be a friend in order to gain access to their bank accounts. Hopefully LE is on it and the person responsible won't be walking free for long.
I understood you weren't pointing to any possible family members, so no worries there. What an awful story about Carl! Unspeakable. I know of a few instances where caregivers have committed similar frauds, so it's always possible.

It has been really hard for me to envision a motive for harming Joni and Brian, unless it was something like a car-jacking. Even then....

From your link, prob not related:

“We did have a man that was reported missing earlier today,” Lt. Sanders said. “We did enter him as an endangered missing adult. The person that we found matches the general description. We don’t have a positive ID at this point.”

From your link, prob not related:

“We did have a man that was reported missing earlier today,” Lt. Sanders said. “We did enter him as an endangered missing adult. The person that we found matches the general description. We don’t have a positive ID at this point.”

I missed that part. Thanks! I was hopeful there was some movement in this case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back