FL - Man Shoots 6 at Yoga Studio, Killing 2 and Then Himself, Tallahassee, 2 Nov 2018

Very curious indeed if there will end up being a domestic or romantic link.

I can’t imagine he knew them- a 60 year old physician and a 21 yr old FSU student. Maybe.

And from what I read there’s a restaurant under the yoga studio.

My DH does yoga in Atlanta.Doors are locked before class starts- studio has always had that policy.

JMO

This deeply saddens me.

If not for that one man in the yoga studio "rushing" at the shooter, how many other victims would there have been? I shudder to think about that.

I wish with all my heart that there had been no victims. I know we all do.

My heart goes out to all of the victims and their loved ones.

I can’t imagine he knew them- a 60 year old physician and a 21 yr old FSU student. Maybe.

My DH does yoga in Atlanta.Doors are locked before class starts- studio has always had that policy.

JMO

Interesting about the doors being locked at your DH’s studio. We don’t do that at our studio.

City of Tallahassee Police Department | Nov 3, 2018 at 11:59 AM (EDT)

We are heartbroken but we are strong. We are a community united against violence. Our thoughts and prayers stay with the victims of the tragic act of violence at Hot Yoga. Our hearts go out to everyone affected by the shooting. We continue to work around the clock to provide answers & closure. This picture was taken by one of our officers at Yoga For A Cause this morning in Downtown Tallahassee benefiting people affected by Hurricane Michael. It holds so much meaning. We are here for you. #TallyStrong #OurCityOurHome

45281083_2084276848301633_220411670021799936_n.jpg

“Police received 911 calls about a shooting at 5:37 p.m. on Friday -- just minutes after a hot yoga flow class was scheduled to begin, according to the studio's website.“

Victims and gunman in Tallahassee yoga studio shooting identified

While it's still unclear how many people were in the class, here are some details around the Hot Yoga Flow class itself, per the company's scheduling page (filtering date to Friday, 11/9, since yesterday's classes are no longer visible):

Start time: 5:30 PM
Service: Hot Flow Yoga
Duration: 75 minutes
Hot Yoga Flow

(formerly called Hot Fusion Yoga) A heated blend of Vinaysa + Power yoga. Vinyasa involves Mindful Movement + Skilled Breath. Expect class to move in a flow style as you cultivate strength, increase flexibility + create mind body awareness. Not ideal for beginners but all are welcome with the freedom to practice at their own pace. Room is heated to about 100 degrees.

http://www.hotyogatallahassee.com/schedule-1

As a practioner myself, the thought of being in the middle of a plank or dolphin pose and someone coming in and shooting is just surreal...Talk about being a sitting duck and nowhere to run.

Those poor folks. :(

ETA:

To go from such a moment of peace to...
(I might have to sit this one out for my own sanity. I’m not even caught up in the Pittsburgh thread...)
This is especially horrifying for me. My sister and brother in law are both yoga instructors, who also host retreats and teacher training. They have a 15 month old son. They are the most positive, loving force in my life and I cannot fathom how someone could do this to anyone, let alone people who are practicing calm and meditation in these chaotic and tense times. How can such evil exist? Picturing my nephew losing his parents in the most vile way imaginable is too much to even dwell on.
This news broke at the end of an already horrible day for me. Just hours before, I found a local homeless man in a parking lot overdosing and catatonic. I thought he was already dead when I called 911.
Hug your loved ones, tell them you love them everyday, and cherish each and every moment you have.

bbm

TPD says they responded to a shooting at the Hot Yoga in the Betton Hills Complex on Bradford Road around 5:37 p.m.
Two dead, several others injured in Tallahassee shooting

Per the company site, there appear to be two locations in Tallahassee. The location that seems to match the above article is the following:

Betton Place
1950 Thomasville Road
Tallahassee, FL 32303
Google Maps

As for the yoga studio schedule, here's a link: http://www.hotyogatallahassee.com/schedule-1

Although I didn't see any classes displayed for today's date that matched the above location. Doesn't mean there wasn't a scheduled class, but we may need to wait for additional details to be reported re: how many people were there, and what time the class began as I don't see that information listed there. Jmo

Per your link to the company’s website above (thank you rainy nights):

“Hot Yoga Tallahassee. We are pleased to offer a wide variety of yoga & wellness classes including Hot Yoga, Vinyasa, Yoga Sculpt, Pilates, Hot Pilates, Yin Yoga, Aerial Yoga & more. Our Specialty Workshops explore elements such as Meditation, Anatomy, Aromatherapy, & Chakras.

“Our Vision--
At Hot Yoga Tallahassee we are committed to providing safe, high quality yoga classes allowing you the space to cultivate health, wellness & balance. We are deeply passionate about sharing the healing benefits of yoga with you—this practice changed our lives & we are inspired to pass these teachings along to you. Our highest purpose at HYT is a heightened sense of community, health and healing. It is when we come together on the mat and share one common thread—the desire to be Happy— that healing energy is created.”

—-

My guess is that the shooter underestimated the “power” of these “yoga people”.

Florida yoga studio shooting leaves 2 victims dead, 5 injured; gunman kills self

So sad that margarita25 had to start this thread. People who attend yoga classes expect an environment of calm and serenity. Instead, attendees experienced this horrific shooting that will likely disrupt their inner peace for many months, if not years. Thoughts and prayers for those who were killed and for the survivors of this senseless attack.

JMO

They may not have been the specific targets. I'm guessing the woman he shot 9 times was, but that's pure speculation, MOO.

Every studio I have been to locks the doors right before class starts. He could have shot through it anyway, but it may be a deterrent for some.

Local police described the crime as a 'domestic' issue. One victim was shot 9 times. wonder if this was his targeted victim and the
rest were just collateral damage.
Based on his prior arrests and his muscle man pictures, I'm
sniffing an entitled control freak who's gf tossed him to the curb.
His current address is close by me which is why I've been

scanning the news here.

This is especially horrifying for me. My sister and brother in law are both yoga instructors, who also host retreats and teacher training. They have a 15 month old son. They are the most positive, loving force in my life and I cannot fathom how someone could do this to anyone, let alone people who are practicing calm and meditation in these chaotic and tense times. How can such evil exist? Picturing my nephew losing his parents in the most vile way imaginable is too much to even dwell on.
This news broke at the end of an already horrible day for me. Just hours before, I found a local homeless man in a parking lot overdosing and catatonic. I thought he was already dead when I called 911.
Hug your loved ones, tell them you love them everyday, and cherish each and every moment you have.

“Hug your loved ones, tell them you love them everyday, and cherish each and every moment you have.“

(This is like the tenth time this message has been presented in the last week through various unrelated situations...just randomly, like this guy told me the other day his friend went to go grab him some food he made as a gift, well he never made it back as he was killed in an act of violence. The guy said he was waiting and waiting for him to come back and he never did ..anyway, just saying he told me the same thing about time being short.

Feels the like end of days sometimes.

And I feel/sound like Chicken Little.

@human, you mentioned that he might be an InCel, right? Turns out your hunch is likely spot-on.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...e-yoga-shooter-incel-far-right-misogyny-video

Scott Beierle shot two women at a Florida yoga studio on Friday night. He posted a series of videos and songs online and appeared to identify as an “involuntarily celibate." This is the second deadly attack by an “involuntarily celibate” in 2018.

The man who shot dead two women at a yoga studio in Tallahassee, Florida, on Friday before killing himself was a far-right extremist and self-proclaimed misogynist who railed against women, black people, and immigrants in a series of online videos and songs.

@human, you mentioned that he might be an InCel, right? Turns out your hunch is likely spot-on.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...e-yoga-shooter-incel-far-right-misogyny-video

Scott Beierle shot two women at a Florida yoga studio on Friday night. He posted a series of videos and songs online and appeared to identify as an “involuntarily celibate." This is the second deadly attack by an “involuntarily celibate” in 2018.

The man who shot dead two women at a yoga studio in Tallahassee, Florida, on Friday before killing himself was a far-right extremist and self-proclaimed misogynist who railed against women, black people, and immigrants in a series of online videos and songs.

Well done @human!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back