Found Deceased UT - Derrik Jenkins, hiker, American Fork Canyon, Wasatch Mountains, 31 October 2018

cocomod

Reaction score
Pleasant Grove hiker missing in American Fork Canyon

An avid Pleasant Grove hiker may be spending his second night alone in the mountains Thursday.

According to close friends, Derrik Jenkins headed into American Fork Canyon at about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday and parked at the Granite Flat Campground gate. Jenkins’ best friend, Jon Scott, said he believes Jenkins planned to head up from there and do a loop of the three Box Elder peaks. Jenkins was supposed to return about 9 p.m. Wednesday to spend time with his two daughters, but didn’t make it home.

Derrik is the son of one of my best friends. I am hoping and praying for the best outcome for him, his beautiful little girls, and his whole family. It has been extremely cold here. :(

I don't know how to post pictures, but here is his FB. There is nothing showing on his FB page as it is locked down, but you can see plenty of pictures of him.

https://www.facebook.com/derrik.jenkins

Here is a post on FB about the search for him. Everyone is so very worried. His mom disputes that he was reported missing because of work. She started texting him late Wednesday, stayed up all night, texted his GF Thursday morning. She knew he was missing.

Jameson Brandi

Last edited:
5bdbaf68389e9.image.jpg

Search and rescue crews planned to start their search again first thing Friday morning.

Jenkins was wearing a neon green trail-running vest and black shoes with yellow trim.

Pleasant Grove hiker missing in American Fork Canyon

Volunteers, crews search for hiker overdue since Wednesday in American Fork Canyon

Volunteers, crews search for hiker overdue since Wednesday in American Fork Canyon | KSL.com

Derrik Jenkins of Pleasant Grove, who is described as an experienced trail runner, parked his vehicle near the Granite Flat campground about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday to go for a run. He was expected home Wednesday night but never returned, according to the Utah County Sheriff's Office.

They reported harsh weather conditions, with strong winds and waist-deep snow at points.

:(

He is the third "day hiker" or "runner" that has gone missing this last week, wearing warmer weather gear with snow in the overnight forecast. I'll keep this family in my prayers, and hope for a miracle.

Update posted this morning...

UPDATE: 7:59 AM. Derrik has now been missing for 39 hours. It was a long night in which over 20 people chose to lose sleep to go out on the mountain with extensive gear to look for Derrik Jenkins. Another 10 chose to lose sleep and support us with food, water, hot drinks, blankets, and love. People stood out in the rain, doing everything they could to help find Derrik. I am waiting for SAR to get here to tell me their plan. I will let you know if/when you can come help look for Derrik. It was another night of freezing wind, rain, snow, and ice. My heart is beyond heavy. It was a beautiful day outside where I witnessed a community come together with love and compassion for a very horrible reason.

Jenkins was in the in the area to continue his goal of reaching 100 unique peaks in the Wasatch Front this year. Jenkins was about 15 peaks away from reaching that goal Wednesday, and Scott said he believed Jenkins was aiming to reach East Box Elder Peak or Silver Lake Peak on Wednesday.

Jenkins told people he was about 30 minutes away from losing cell service when he last contacted someone Wednesday afternoon.

Volunteers, crews search for hiker overdue since Wednesday in American Fork Canyon

Once again, a SPOT would be beneficial in this instance. Keeping the family in my thoughts. Come home safe Derrick!!

This morning my heart is heavy. The weather has been so cold. I hope they can find him. His mom and girlfriend are preparing themselves for the worst. I am sending hope out there to the universe.

The search and rescue crews were unbelievable in this search. I cannot express enough how much their dedication and determination meant. There were so many volunteers that came as well. They were allowed to search, but I am relieved that the professionals found him. My heart is double heavy, but I am glad that Kim can bury her son. After following here for so many years, I know that the emptiness of not finding the body would be doubly hard and would leave an extra whole. At least they do not have to wonder for years or even for more days, weeks, or months.

So sad and so preventable. He left at 4:30 for a 3 and a half hour run. That had him descending a step sloop at near dark. I'm getting tired of seeing these bright souls that like to jump about and run on high precipices die. If you've not checked his Instagram do. The photos will stop your heart but he was an amazing photographer and a gifted writer. The world is diminished with this loss.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge
Back