CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, SM recorded Karlie so that she could show her the next day how crazy she was acting.
The problem with this is that it was an "audio" only recording . There is no video for Karlie or anybody else to "see" how crazy Karlie was acting.

About 100 years ago, somebody said "A picture is worth a thousand words," and I'd say a video is probably worth more. MOO

Last edited:
Sadly, your option B is more plausible at this point. I think the getting lost scenario is the most likely given the rugged terrain and wide open spaces surrounding the area where she was walking.

Based on the length of time SM said passed between when she fell back asleep and woke up and Karlie was gone, if she got up and walked out of the house and down the highway she would've gotten about 3-5 miles. By the time SM, dad, etc. realized what was up and tried looking for her, she could've been even further away.

Most likely scenario to me is what you said about Karlie leaving out of embarrassment/fear/etc. and then the combination of her whirlwind of emotions and being 16 years old she got lost without a phone or any way to contact someone. I can see Karlie just walking down the highway running through all the scenarios in her head about admitting to the pot smoking and being an emotional mess. Then she looks up and realizes 'where the heck am I?'. She may have even tried to get back home - who knows.

Abduction along the highway is possible but that would have to be an incredibly coordinated string of events in that Karlie leaves, she either takes or solicits a ride from someone who happens to be going down the highway at the exact time she left but who also has bad intentions. I can't rule that out but getting lost is still the most likely scenario imo.
The reality of this 16 year old leaving home for any period without her phone is just too unlikely. Even at the height of her unconfirmed substance intoxication, Karlie still had and kept her phone with her, and she also had her phone with her next to her bed while she slept. (SM alleges Karlie phone kept in the kitchen). MOO

Mono Sheriff‏ @MonoSheriff
The Missing Person investigation of Karlie Gusé continues, and we encourage everyone to share the Missing Person flyer and other Facebook posts with pictures of her. Family members have started two different... https://www.facebook.com/MonoSheriff/posts/2172819779396910 …

6:10 PM - 25 Oct 2018

Mono Sheriff‏ @MonoSheriff
It has been over two weeks since 16-year old Karlie Lain Gusé went missing from her home in Chalfant, California, on Saturday, October 13, 2018. Despite a week-long search of the surrounding high desert and a... https://www.facebook.com/MonoSheriff/posts/2183552324990322 …

4:44 PM - 30 Oct 2018

Mono County Sheriff's Office added 5 new photos.

October 30 at 4:43 PM ·
It has been over two weeks since 16-year old Karlie Lain Gusé went missing from her home in Chalfant, California, on Saturday, October 13, 2018. Despite a week-long search of the surrounding high desert and a continuing investigation, there is nothing new to report. Karlie is a white female, 16 years old, 5’ 07”, 110 pounds, dark blond hair and blue eyes. If you have information regarding Karlie’s whereabouts, please call the Mono County Sheriff’s Office at 760-932-7549, option 7, or the National Center for Missing and Endangered Children at 800-843-5678 (800-THE-LOST).

At this time, this remains a Missing Person investigation. There is no evidence of an abduction or any other crime. However, we are considering all possibilities and are investigating every potential aspect in case this becomes a criminal investigation. While we understand the questions many people have, we will not release any details from our investigation unless those details will help locate Karlie.

Due to our remote location and limited resources, we brought in the expertise of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, and they continue to assist our investigation. It has been suggested that the Mono County District Attorney’s Office should play a role. Missing Person investigations do not fall under the jurisdiction of the District Attorney, nor does that Office possess resources that have not already been utilized. We have briefed the District Attorney’s Office and will bring them in should the circumstances of the investigation warrant.

This information was also sent in a Press Release format via email to our local and regional media.

It's amazing how easy a ride the SM is getting as you say. She just can't keep her story straight. There's two types of people that can't do that. 1. People with a medical problem or disability that means they can't remember things or 2. Liars.

I'd like to elaborate more on my theory in regards to what SM is holding back but I think I'd probably end up breaking the rules so can't unfortunately.
Same here. If i were to lay my true feelings out about this then id be in some real trouble on here.
Its completely frustrating how the SM isnt being interrogated. I feel like each and every family member should be thoroughly investigated. Its already so late in the game, SM has made false statement after false statement, and still, this town remains under her spell. Its really bizarre, the way this case is being handled. Karlie is still missing and LE has stated that they have exhausted their investigation efforts. The investigation never even started IMO.

Yeah, if im being honest, this interview didnt clear up any discrepancy SM had previously stated, it only threw more fuel on a burning fire. I had more questions than answers after listening to it. What kind of title is that anyways? "Stepmom clears up her differing versions of events leading to the disappearance of young teen." Makes it seem like the SM cleared the air and is now forgiven. She didnt clear anything up, she just confirmed that she cant successfully lie. There has yet to be any truth said in my eyes.

The problem with this is that it was an "audio" only recording . There is no video for Karlie or anybody else to "see" how crazy Karlie was acting.

About 100 years ago, somebody said "A picture is worth a thousand words," and I'd say a video is probably worth more. MOO

Agreed on how weird/suspicious that is. On my phone, the camera is literally a single button to access, while I'd have to go dig through all my apps to find an audio-only recorder. Bizarre.

Agreed on how weird/suspicious that is. On my phone, the camera is literally a single button to access, while I'd have to go dig through all my apps to find an audio-only recorder. Bizarre.
Thanks for confirming. I thought "camera/video" the default on most phones but I was not sure because my phone is old.

Same here. If i were to lay my true feelings out about this then id be in some real trouble on here.
Its completely frustrating how the SM isnt being interrogated. I feel like each and every family member should be thoroughly investigated. Its already so late in the game, SM has made false statement after false statement, and still, this town remains under her spell. Its really bizarre, the way this case is being handled. Karlie is still missing and LE has stated that they have exhausted their investigation efforts. The investigation never even started IMO.
IMO, SM is incapable of keeping quiet, and will continue talking until she incriminates the person(s) responsible for KG disappearance. I think LE has much more going on than the public aware. FBI joined investigation early, and I believe KG will be recovered shortly after reasonable cause arrest. MOO

SBSD Search Dogs‏ @sbsdsearchdogs
Helping Mono County Sheriff’s SAR in searching for Karlie Guse, a missing 16 yr old female in Bishop, CA. Also helping in the search were K9’s from CARDA and WOOF.

DrR_1YzU4AAmVse.jpg

DrR_1Y0VYAAqL_Y.jpg

DrR_1Y2VAAA2sYY.jpg

DrR_1Y0UUAABVfG.jpg

5:04 PM - 5 Nov 2018

Search continues for California teen who vanished
By Doug Kari Special to the Review-Journal
5 November 2018

[...]
Last weekend the sheriff’s office in Mono County, California, which is leading the investigation, searched the desert with cadaver-sniffing dogs.
[...]
‘She got scared of me’

After school on Friday, Karlie told Melissa that she was going to a high school football game.

Instead Karlie went to a house party with her boyfriend, 17, whose name is being withheld because he’s a minor.

The boyfriend told the Review-Journal that while at the party, Karlie smoked marijuana and started to panic. “She got scared of the music,” he said. “She got scared of me.”
[...]
Melissa decided to make a recording on her phone, so later she could replay it for Karlie as a teaching moment about drug use. At one point in the eight-minute audio Karlie says, “I really messed up today,” and Melissa tries to soothe her by saying, “We all do things in life that we regret, drugs especially.” A tearful Karlie thanks Melissa and says, “I love you.” But when Melissa gives Karlie a salad, the teen blurts out, “This the devil’s lettuce!”
[...]
Marijuana or LSD?

Zac believes that Karlie ingested something stronger than marijuana. “It could’ve been laced with something else,” he said.

Karlie’s boyfriend insists that marijuana was the culprit. “She hadn’t smoked in a while,” he said. “It could’ve triggered something.”

But Karlie’s birth mom Lindsay Fairley, 39, of Yerington, Nevada, said that she suspects her daughter was high on LSD. Karlie had recently asked about the drug, and Lindsay warned that it was dangerous.
[...]

Article at link contains many alleged "quotes" from parents/family.

According to Caltrans, at peak times the section of Route 6 where Karlie vanished handles about 200 cars per hour. Fewer cars pass by early on a Saturday morning.

There’s also been speculation that Karlie’s disappearance may be linked to the case of Madelyn Lingenfelter, 19, who parked her car along Mount Rose Highway near Reno on Sept. 19 and hasn’t been seen since. But no evidence has emerged to support this theory.

New article with some mis stated facts, her neighborhood is white mountain estates, not Sierra view. Grain of salt.

Grain of salt, yes, but definitely an account that finally makes some sense out of SM and Dads most recent version of events, regardless true or not.

The SM's various misconceptions are impossible to dismiss, and as result, are forever engraved in my mind. When i was listening to them discuss their accounts leading up to Karlie's disappearance I was constantly confused by everything they were claiming, then changing. I immediately thought SM was somehow responsible for Karlie disappearing due to her constant display of unnecessary dramatics and her many retracted statements.

I must say, though this article was actually very informative, its too bad it came much too late. If i would have read something like this in the beginning, and SM didnt run off at the mouth then Id have a very different take on this case. However, after the number of inconsistancies said by SM, and the period of time elapsed since Karlie's disappearance, its only about time that SM and dad have finally come up with a believable story. Took long enough, but, too little, too late.

From what I gathered here, looks as though there was only one confirmed witness, not four, and its the jacuzzi man, said to be a retired LA County Sheriff and neighbor to the Guse's. However, nothing was mentioned about the piece of paper she had in her hand as he had supposedly reported to SM. I guess she's expecting everyone to forget she ever made that detail up, much like every other word that had initially come out of her mouth. Maybe Chalfant Valley has a soft spot for her but i cant find it in myself to relate to their feelings.

As for Madelyn Lingenfelter's disappearance, I have been following her case since the day she went missing. I just cant see any connection between Karlie and Maddy's cases. Sounds like more nonsense SM and dad are throwing out there to keep the spotlight from landing on them. IMO, Maddy was severely depressed and i believe that she took her own life. I cannot see any relation whatsoever with these two cases, and i have no clue why anyone would even think that. Deflection at its best.

According to Caltrans, at peak times the section of Route 6 where Karlie vanished handles about 200 cars per hour. Fewer cars pass by early on a Saturday morning.

There’s also been speculation that Karlie’s disappearance may be linked to the case of Madelyn Lingenfelter, 19, who parked her car along Mount Rose Highway near Reno on Sept. 19 and hasn’t been seen since. But no evidence has emerged to support this theory.

I cant see a viable connection between the two cases. There has never been any reference made by LE that has indicated that Maddy met with foul play. I really doubt this speculation.

By Doug Kari Special to the Review-Journal
5 November 2018

[...]
Last weekend the sheriff’s office in Mono County, California, which is leading the investigation, searched the desert with cadaver-sniffing dogs.
[...]
‘She got scared of me’

After school on Friday, Karlie told Melissa that she was going to a high school football game.

Instead Karlie went to a house party with her boyfriend, 17, whose name is being withheld because he’s a minor.

The boyfriend told the Review-Journal that while at the party, Karlie smoked marijuana and started to panic. “She got scared of the music,” he said. “She got scared of me.”
[...]
Melissa decided to make a recording on her phone, so later she could replay it for Karlie as a teaching moment about drug use. At one point in the eight-minute audio Karlie says, “I really messed up today,” and Melissa tries to soothe her by saying, “We all do things in life that we regret, drugs especially.” A tearful Karlie thanks Melissa and says, “I love you.” But when Melissa gives Karlie a salad, the teen blurts out, “This the devil’s lettuce!”
[...]
Marijuana or LSD?

Zac believes that Karlie ingested something stronger than marijuana. “It could’ve been laced with something else,” he said.

Karlie’s boyfriend insists that marijuana was the culprit. “She hadn’t smoked in a while,” he said. “It could’ve triggered something.”

But Karlie’s birth mom Lindsay Fairley, 39, of Yerington, Nevada, said that she suspects her daughter was high on LSD. Karlie had recently asked about the drug, and Lindsay warned that it was dangerous.
[...]

Article at link contains many alleged "quotes" from parents/family.

And now the dads story changed? Initially he was said to be passed out drunk and had no knowledge of what happened when Karlie came home?

I just can’t undrrstand the constantly evolving stories

I had seen the SM's first video shortly after she posted it. From what I remember, she posted it saying that Karlie had been "missing" for 10 hours at that time. My initial impression was surprise that the SM was broadcasting that Karlie was "missing" in what was not that long of a time period, in my opinion; especially given that she had apparently just walked out of the house, according to SM's story. Her dramatics seemed over-the-top, too.

Given that we are now being told by SM that Karlie had supposedly taken marijuana and was behaving in a "disoriented" manner, the early video could make sense but with all of the conflicting stories; the bio-mom's suspicions... I'm still not sure that Karlie left that house, even with the supposed witnesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa