CA - Multiple casualties after 'active shooter' opens fire, Thousand Oaks, 08 Nov 2018

That's the question worth spending our energy and time asking.

By "our," I mean as a culture, not necessarily on this thread. :)

jmo

Imo there is a clear difference between one who commits mass shootings and any kind of “normal” person; it is a similar dynamic to this imo:

None of us here would never abduct, rape, kill a child, etc.

Just as none of us here would ever go mow down innocent people, (regardless of whether or not we own a gun and this is a FACT considering many members here have or have had guns....for example IIRC @oceanblueeyes, @Hatfield, @Foxfire or I for example would never do something like this and you guys know that.

So what is that element that makes someone want to kill?

With these mass shooters it’s so much anger, hate, resentment, blaming, narcissism imo and some sort of desensitization.

(Just some brief thoughts as I’m at work darn it—-I would really love to discuss this more with you guys. I’m off all weekend so if anyone isn’t busy... :) )

Last edited:
To me, it comes off a little more nihilistic. I'm speculating, obviously. For whatever reason, the shooter is pissed and wants to cause as much damage as possible because perhaps he blames others (an "unfair society") for his perceived failures. Not sure infamy has any value once you're dead, iykwim.

Easier said than done.

But that’s really the issue, the desire to perpetrate mass murders like this. Each one seems to perpetuate the next one.

Have a grudge? Want to make a name for yourself? Commit mass murder. That seems to be the logic.

To me, it comes off a little more nihilistic. I'm speculating, obviously. For whatever reason, the shooter is pissed and wants to cause as much damage as possible because perhaps he blames others (an "unfair society") for his perceived failures. Not sure infamy has any value once you're dead, iykwim.
I agree with you. It makes no sense logically, that infamy has value in death. You’re dead, and it’s not like you get to enjoy it.

But the letters that these guys sometimes leave behind, indicate that infamy is part of it for some of them.

Good point. I see rage in this particular shooting (in all 3, really), especially. I'm late to the breaking news and trying to catch up... do we yet know Long's motivation for this attack?

Yes, IntheDetails, in one of the other threads last week (now that is SAD that I can’t even remeber which one), I remember telling @bluesneakers that I’ve figured out imo what connects all these shooters:

HATE.

Our people see every day that if you hate someone, they deserve to die. That's what the prevailing mode of thought is in this country, it seems. I love the U.S. for many reasons, but if i ever have the chance to leave, I will. It's unsafe and full of nastiness. I'm sorry if someone thinks that's unpatriotic, but this isn't what the U.S. should be! We're capable of so much but we'd rather destroy everyone else and ourselves instead.

@Jinkasaurus I cant quote you for some reason but a million times what you said. The person who is addicted doesn't necessarily WANT help...that means getting off drugs. The person who is violent may "get off" on being violent. People know how to beat the system. No matter what they truly feel, all they have to do is say they dont want to hurt anyone or themselves and they cant be held. If someone is truly homicidal or suicidal, the last thing they'll do is admit it. Their plans will be thwarted. Then there are those who truly stuff how they really feel. They lie even to themselves and say they're fine then go into their room and carve scars into their skin. Mental health workers know the signs and most of the time they know they are being played....but the ill person has rights, too. Many, MANY times I've tried to convince people that if they released my daughter, she would kill herself....yet she puts on that mask, says the right things and all they can do is tell me they're sorry. Fat freaking lot of good sorry does when something like this happens.

The question is, why are they on these drugs?

I had to look up the definition of psychotropic drugs. It appears that many of the drugs that a lot of folks take, just look at late night TV and Drug side effects, are included. Just normal everyday drugs. Just like those to quit smoking, birth control pills, anti-anxiety, etc etc.

Here is the Google definition

"Medical Definition of Psychotropic drug. Psychotropic drug: Any drug capable of affecting the mind, emotions, and behavior"

98cab4c7-1106-405b-a64e-7a356eeaea9a.jpg

California governor-elect Gavin Newsom responded to last night’s mass shooting at an event in San Francisco Thursday afternoon.

“This is America…This doesn’t happen anywhere else on the planet. We can’t let folks forget that. We can’t allow this to be normalized,” said Newsom, who won the California governor's race Tuesday.
Live updates: California shooting leaves 12 dead in Thousand Oaks - CNN

I had to look up the definition of psychotropic drugs. It appears that many of the drugs that a lot of folks take, just look at late night TV and Drug side effects, are included. Just normal everyday drugs. Just like those to quit smoking, birth control pills, anti-anxiety, etc etc.

Here is the Google definition

"Medical Definition of Psychotropic drug. Psychotropic drug: Any drug capable of affecting the mind, emotions, and behavior"

That’s quite broad, tbh. That could be just about anything, then, right? Contraceptives, antidepressants, certain blood pressure meds, some sleep aids, etc. — all can impact mood, emotions, behaviors — maybe it depends on why they’re prescribed?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snugglebear
Back