FL - Man Shoots 6 at Yoga Studio, Killing 2 and Then Himself, Tallahassee, 2 Nov 2018

Yoga studio shooter arrived in Tallahassee 2 days before violent attack

"The Tallahassee yoga studio gunman arrived in Tallahassee on Halloween, two days before he would randomly open fire and kill two women and injure fire other people.

But why the 40-year-old military veteran came to Tallahassee armed with a legally purchased 9 mm handgun, bought in July, why he targeted this specific studio or anyone in the class is something that Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo knows will take months to decipher. "

<snip>

"Beierle arrived in Tallahassee and checked into the Suburban Extended Stay Hotel on Silver Slipper Lane on Wednesday, Oct. 31. What he did between then and the Friday night shooting is a focus for TPD. We’re all very painfully aware of his action on Nov. 2,” DeLeo said during a briefing on Friday. “So we’re really trying to identify what he did especially on the first when he had a full day to himself and identify what his activities were."

<snip>

"Hundreds of pages of documents dating as far back as 10 to 15 years were recovered from his red Chevrolet Sonic that remained at the scene of the shooting. They also recovered documents from his hotel room, which were linked to the shooting, DeLeo said. With the help of the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office, which served a search warrant at his Deltona house the night of the shooting, more evidentiary documents were recovered.

DeLeo said Beierle carried with him the documents secured from his car. A laptop with a 500-gigabyte hard drive was found, which could take up to a week to process. Additional electronic storage devices were being analyzed"

<snip>

"“There’s certainly a lot of documents that demonstrate his feelings and his anger and his rage,” DeLeo said. “There’s no confession, proclamation or 'I’m making my statement to the world', that we can say is specifically linked.”

Ammunition and other firearms, all legally purchased, were also recovered from his home."

<snip>

"Accusations of Beierle’s bizarre behavior toward women go as far back as high school, DeLeo said. He graduated from Vestal High School in New York in 1997."

<snip>

"Beierle enlisted in the U.S. Army in 2008. He resigned in 2010 amid an active investigation and before possible sanctions for inappropriate contact with women could be leveled."

<snip>

Man who had been accused of groping opens fire on Tallahassee yoga class, killing two, police say

"About a month after the 2014 arrest, BuzzFeed News reported, Beierle posted a series of YouTube videos about his hatred of women under the name “Scott Carnifex.”"

FWIW, the youtube videos - I've seen one of them and it was definitely Scott.

Also noteworthy:

Tallahassee yoga shooter was fired from teaching jobs over *advertiser censored*, touching student, records say

"Prior to that, when he came in to apply for a substitute positions, several employees raised concerns about Beierle, school records show. Employees said he was acting extremely nervous, was rude, and had a “scary and angry” look on his face. They were so afraid they locked the doors when he left. They also suggested he not be hired after learning his password for application was “carnifex,” which means executioner. The district still hired him to sub."

Personal opinion - the fact that he shot four women but only pistolwhipped the man strongly suggests to me that this was misogynistic rage fueled at least in part.

Personal opinion - the fact that he drove from Deltona all the way to Tallahassee, almost four hours, to commit this crime suggests to me that he either had a reason to want to commit this crime specifically in that community or to target someone in that class specifically, OR that he (at least initially) planned to commit a random, non-targeted crime that he didn't expect to get caught for, and had intentionally gone far from home to do so in order to try to lessen the chances of getting caught.

So far neither of those seems to be the case, so it doesn't make sense to me. IMO

Also noteworthy to me is the fact that he didn't drive all the way there and immediately do this (like a crime of passion/in a fit of rage). He drove all the wya there, checked into a motel, did something for a day or two, then did this. To me that even further suggests that he was targeting someone in particular and waiting for the right opportunity OR that he was trying to look super casual and normal for a couple of days up front so as to commit a crime far from home and then go back home unnoticed ideally....

But like I said, neither of those seems to be the case. This is so weird to me.

Edited to add- I can't think of any scenario that makes sense, except perhaps if he drove all the way down there because he had met someone online via dating app or something who lived down there, and if that person had somehow intentionally or unintentionally gotten it into Scott's head that he might have some chance to meet up with her. I could imagine a hypothetical situation where he jumped on that perceived opportunity and drove al lthe way there, and perhaps then she backed out of meeting up or he misread the situation or something and perhaps that made him super angry he lashed out as a result... I can't really think of another situation where this all makes sense to me IMO MOO (this one makes sense to me because of the reasons I stated and becasue he ranted on his youtube videos about women who did things like that and how angry it made him).

Last edited:
Maybe nobody wanted to risk “ruining” his career, or draw “negative publicity” to the school where he taught. Both are very bad reasons, imo, but still possible.

Unfortunately.

They should pay a penalty. Are school personnel in Florida mandated reporters?

Reactions: GGE
He wasn't really a muscular guy but the men in the family are built big boned, big muscled, with barrel chests and wide shoulders. Scott also played football in high school and was a fairly tall fellow, a little over 6 foot or around 6 foot.

SBM - I was looking over family photos last night and noticed that Scott was taller than I gave him credit for. DH is almost 5'11" and Scott had about 4 inches on him I would say. Not that it changes anything, I just dislike posting inaccuracies without acknowledging them. His height and weight were published in news articles so I realize this isn't new info. I'm just acknowledging that I was wrong and the news was right.

"Big and imposing — he was at least 6 foot 2 and 240 pounds — he walked with a strange exaggerated gait, wore shorts with white socks pulled up high and often made inappropriate comments to women."

Scott Beierle, gunman in Tallahassee yoga studio shooting, remembered as 'really creepy'

They should pay a penalty. Are school personnel in Florida mandated reporters?

I know that, for example, school personnel in New York state are (where he went to high school and where he got his first degree(s?) from Binghamton University).

I would think that being the case, that there would be at least records of any reports that were received during that time, even if they weren't followed up on and were ultimately dropped. I would think that the news would have found stuff like that by now, but maybe not since it probably takes awhile to seek out records from each of the other states that he has taught in over the years.

This is just me thinking out loud.

edit - if any reporters are trolling here, our surname is pronounced like what you want to do at Christmas - buy early. BYE-err-lee. Not that it matters. (you know what is weird? you can still be in shock even if the person you're related to in a tragedy is the one who caused it. never thought about it before. it's a really weird situation to be in. But yeah, everyone seems to say "BEERlee" which I guess is closer than some versions I've heard over the past quarter century. But there are three distinct syllables.)

Last edited:
I know that, for example, school personnel in New York state are (where he went to high school and where he got his first degree(s?) from Binghamton University).

I would think that being the case, that there would be at least records of any reports that were received during that time, even if they weren't followed up on and were ultimately dropped. I would think that the news would have found stuff like that by now, but maybe not since it probably takes awhile to seek out records from each of the other states that he has taught in over the years.

edit - if any reporters are trolling here, our surname is pronounced like what you want to do at Christmas - buy early. BYE-err-lee. Not that it matters. (you know what is weird? you can still be in shock even if the person you're related to in a tragedy is the one who caused it. never thought about it before. it's a really weird situation to be in. But yeah, everyone seems to say "BEERlee" which I guess is closer than some versions I've heard over the past quarter century. But there are three distinct syllables.)

What he did was reportable esp by a dang teacher!

What he did was reportable esp by a dang teacher!

I'm not sure what is being referred to in regards to reporting. As a teacher, he would be responsible for being a mandated reporter, is what I thought you were saying. If other teachers saw him do something wrong, then they as mandated reporters should report him as well, yes. He did get fired for the tickling thing. I'm not sure he was teaching in classrooms with other teachers present - then they wouldn't need him, if the classes already had teachers. So nobody but himself was there to witness and then report, as a mandated reporter... I'm just confused is all. Absolutely not defending him. I personally cannot believe he was ever allowed to teach at all, all things considered. No teaching license, for example.

Why was he not arrested for that!

Just trying to ease my own confusion. Ok, so you were commenting on "why wasn't he arrested for putting his hands on the student's stomach below her bra line and asking her if she was ticklish", and then Et Tu had commented that perhaps the other teachers who commented about his odd behavior didn't want to get him in trouble, and you said that as mandated reporters they ought to have done so anyhow.

In regards to that, I would say that teachers noticing "odd behavior" does not constitute a situation where one has anything to report, as a mandated reporter. I wish it was. If "odd behavior" was enough to get someone off the street, we wouldn't be here today because he would not have been walking around in public to begin with for the past 20+ years IMO.

and FTR, he did get fired for doing that but until I get my Verified Insider status I can't really comment further. Hopefully later.

SBM - IMO it's important to find out where all he taught. We know he taught in Anne Arundel county in Maryland, and in at least two counties in Florida - Volusia and Leon (those were all over the news, and info stating such has been posted here already).

I see that he also held teaching certificates for English and Social Studies grades 7-12 in NY state that were granted in 2005/6 and that expired in 2010/11. I would love to know if there is a public database to query and find out whether he actually TAUGHT in NY, where, and what reasons he may have had for moving on from teaching in NY to teaching in MD or FL. One would think that he would use those certificates that he went out of his way to get.

source - http://eservices.nysed.gov/teach/certhelp/CpPersonSearchExternal.do

note - I have just found this article which gives helpful links for looking up teachers in every state - How to look up the background of teachers in every state

As per the above page, Maryland does not have an online lookup. Scott was found in the FL and NY databases however. I searched a few other states like VA and OH and found nothing for him. I am very curious about NY.

Yoga studio gunman had history of arrests, posted misogynistic rants online

I did not know this particular detail (BBM):

"Beierle was also arrested for trespassing in an FSU dining hall in 2014, leading to a campus-wide trespass warning against him, and he faced at least six traffic violations between 2011 and 2014, records show."

I would love to know who his lawyer was for all of his assults and violations, who kept getting him reduced sentences/getting him off. Doesn't seem like he could keep getting out of al lthis trouble on his own. IMO That had to get expensive for a school teacher's salary, especially one who can't keep a job IMO.

Also from above link (BBM) - because I've seen people talk about this quote as if it was somethign he himself had to say about his life - no, he was quoting a [fictional] serial killer:

"Beierle's Facebook page has pictures of him in an Army uniform, with other uniformed men standing around him. In his "About" section, Beierle wrote: "As hard as you try, you can not escape your destiny. You can run from it, but you can not hide from it." The page also includes a quote from Patrick Bateman, the fictional serial killer from "American Psycho": "I just want to have a meaningful relationship with someone special."

I'm not sure what is being referred to in regards to reporting. As a teacher, he would be responsible for being a mandated reporter, is what I thought you were saying. If other teachers saw him do something wrong, then they as mandated reporters should report him as well, yes. He did get fired for the tickling thing. I'm not sure he was teaching in classrooms with other teachers present - then they wouldn't need him, if the classes already had teachers. So nobody but himself was there to witness and then report, as a mandated reporter... I'm just confused is all. Absolutely not defending him. I personally cannot believe he was ever allowed to teach at all, all things considered. No teaching license, for example.

The girl would report the behavior . Then the school would be obligated to report it to Child Protective Services or whatever it is called in Florida. That is the mandated reporting part

It would then be investigated and on his record if he applied for any other school jobs.

The girl would report the behavior . Then the school would be obligated to report it to Child Protective Services or whatever it is called in Florida. That is the mandated reporting part

It would then be investigated and on his record if he applied for any other school jobs.

Ah, yes, I see. I don't know if we know whether they were or weren't notified, do we? I just know that (the tickling) was the most recent incident as per news articles, which led to his being fired. There hasn't been any word what kind of other disciplinary actions, if any, were taken or might have been in the works that I've seen I don't think. Also no word on what he was doing to support himself since then, or whether he was trying to get another teaching job anywhere else, etc. Hopefully they WERE contacted, and we just haven't heard about it yet.

"WFTV requested Beierle's personnel file from the district and learned he was a substitute teacher from April 2017 to May 2018. During that time, Beierle filled in at 21 different [Volusia county] elementary, middle and high schools."

<snip>

"Beierle's file also says he was fired after subbing at [Volusia county's] Galaxy Middle School in May for unprofessional conduct. The complaint says he asked a female student if she was ticklish, then proceeded to touch her on the stomach below the bra line."

<snip>

"The year before going to the Volusia County School District, officials with Leon County Schools said Beierle was fired from his substitute teaching job in Leon County after looking at *advertiser censored* during class."

(source - Tallahassee yoga shooter was fired from teaching jobs over *advertiser censored*, touching student, records say )

I know he was also banned completely from working in the Leon County School district after he was fired for watching *advertiser censored* on the school computers -

"Beierle was fired on March 8, 2016, for violating LCS’s internet use policy. He was advised to discontinue contacting LCS about substitute work or any charter schools in the district. Beierle acknowledged that he'd received his termination letter on March 17, 2016. "

(source - LCS was wary of hiring Tallahassee yoga studio shooter as substitute, but did anyway )

Now that I re-read my reply to you and think more about your question, I guess MY question is, did anyone in Leon county schools have any reason to report him, as mandated reporters, or was his watching *advertiser censored* on the school computer not reportable because there was AFAIK no students directly affected/involved? Because the *advertiser censored*/LCS firing was prior to him working in Volusia county, where he did the tickling. I guess I dont know how that would've worked, but as per the first article I linked above, Volusia county schools had a personnel file over 50 pages long on him by the time he was fired, and the article explains they had a LOT of reservations about hiring him.

LCS was wary of hiring Tallahassee yoga studio shooter as substitute, but did anyway

"From early on, district officials were concerned. His macabre password to access the substitute teachers’ program drew attention as did Beierle’s behavior as he initially applied for a position with the district, according to more than 50 pages of personnel documents provided by the district Monday."

Ah, yes, I see. I don't know if we know whether they were or weren't notified, do we? I just know that (the tickling) was the most recent incident as per news articles, which led to his being fired. There hasn't been any word what kind of other disciplinary actions, if any, were taken or might have been in the works that I've seen I don't think. Also no word on what he was doing to support himself since then, or whether he was trying to get another teaching job anywhere else, etc. Hopefully they WERE contacted, and we just haven't heard about it yet.

"WFTV requested Beierle's personnel file from the district and learned he was a substitute teacher from April 2017 to May 2018. During that time, Beierle filled in at 21 different [Volusia county] elementary, middle and high schools."

<snip>

"Beierle's file also says he was fired after subbing at [Volusia county's] Galaxy Middle School in May for unprofessional conduct. The complaint says he asked a female student if she was ticklish, then proceeded to touch her on the stomach below the bra line."

<snip>

"The year before going to the Volusia County School District, officials with Leon County Schools said Beierle was fired from his substitute teaching job in Leon County after looking at *advertiser censored* during class."

(source - Tallahassee yoga shooter was fired from teaching jobs over *advertiser censored*, touching student, records say )

I know he was also banned completely from working in the Leon County School district after he was fired for watching *advertiser censored* on the school computers -

"Beierle was fired on March 8, 2016, for violating LCS’s internet use policy. He was advised to discontinue contacting LCS about substitute work or any charter schools in the district. Beierle acknowledged that he'd received his termination letter on March 17, 2016. "

(source - LCS was wary of hiring Tallahassee yoga studio shooter as substitute, but did anyway )

I have been retired from MN schools for six years. I cannot believe a school district does not have rules about his behavior. I know MN has a morals clause.

Watching *advertiser censored* in school? That is ridiculous. I have to google and see what kind of penalty that would be for a teacher in MN

I have been retired from MN schools for six years. I cannot believe a school district does not have rules about his behavior. I know MN has a morals clause.

Watching *advertiser censored* in school? That is ridiculous. I have to google and see what kind of penalty that would be for a teacher in MN

Again, they obviously did have a rule because he was fired. [had to edit what else I had here, since I had my stories mixed up, sorry.]

I do not know what legal proceedings were ongoing because of it at the time of his death but I would assume and HOPE there were legal charges in motion, but unfortunately only CONVICTIONS show up in background checks. As long as someone kept paying his legal fees and paying a lawyer to get him off from every charge as opposed to getting convicted, that same someone was ensuring that he would have more victims in his reach. I think those people should be prosecuted.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back