California Wildfires 2018

'Paradise' lost: 9 dead as Northern California blaze wrecks entire town: Officials

The fire threat isn't expected to alleviate anytime soon. Red flag warnings and fire weather watches have been issued for parts of Southern California, including the hills of Los Angeles and San Diego, as well as parts of Northern California, including the areas surrounding Sacramento and San Jose. These fire weather alerts go through Monday night.

Extremely critical fire danger exists in the mountains around Los Angeles on Sunday with wind gusts up to 60 mph and just 3 percent relative humidity.

This is so horrible. Five people dead so far and how many animals? The horses will likely die and the ones in the forest will be gone. So sad.

This is such a huge unbelievable tragedy: it is beyond heartbreaking--- I love California though i have not been there for several years--- at one time i wanted to live in Santa Clarita. These fires are beyond anything one could even read about in fiction. To see an entire town (Paradise) burn to the ground: I feel so sad. and yes, horses and other animals will die- which is, in and of itself beyond sad and horrible.

Charlie Sheen tweeted that he needed help looking for his parents, Martin and Janet. A reporter found Martin at Zuma Beach, which is being used as a gathering point for area residents and those who own large animals (horses, etc.)

Charlie Sheen makes desperate plea for info on father Martin who is fleeing wildfire in Malibu | Daily Mail Online

Martin said they would be spending the night at Zuma Beach, sleeping in their car. Many other area residents are doing the same thing. What a terrifying thing, to be stuck between the ocean and a wildfire. It's good, though that they have a place set up for horses, etc.

From CBS News this morning, it looks like Malibu is still burning strong, but firemen are getting the fire up north (Camp Fire?) under control.

I also heard discussion on the news that the fires were caused by poor forestry management practices, which is incorrect information. Local communities and states work hard on preventing these fires and need all the help they can get.

Jeff Roberts took pictures as his Malibou Lake home as it was burning to the ground.

“I had to get something to remember it by, to show the family," Roberts told KTLA.

He and his family thought they had at least an hour to leave their home along Crags Drive early Friday. But before they knew it, flames from the Woolsey Fire were right outside.

"You could feel the heat inside the house, it was that close," Roberts said. "We just grabbed the animals and just ran out the door."

Roberts only had enough time to grab his computer, his back up drive and ran out with only the clothes on his back.

His family went one way, and he went another. He went back to see if he could save his house, but it was still burning.

"There were too many flames, too much smoke, you couldn't see anything."

There was nothing left to do, he realized.

He said he sat at a hillside, away from danger, and watched his home of six years be destroyed by flames.

He estimates that he saw at least a dozen burning homes. Probably more.

He said he does not know what he will do now. When asked, he broke down in tears.

‘We Got Out Just in Time’: Malibou Lake Resident Watches Home Burn Down

Sending prayers to all of you affected by these fires.

Zuma beach was my hangout growing up in the Valley.

Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn built a house on a cliff above the dead end of the road at Zuma. I wonder if it is still standing.

I’m thinking of everyone affected it is unimaginable what is happening. I feel terrible for the people and animals who have died or lost their homes.

May they Rest In Peace.

I was wondering about home insurance in California will most of the homes destroyed be insured? Is it difficult to get insurance against a wildfire?

I hope someone "outs" the criminality of insurance companies. These folks all had fire insurance, have probably been paying for years, never had a claim, now, they will make a claim, naively thinking, "Everything will be okay, we are "insured"." Right. They have lost everything. Insurance companies will offer paltry amounts, that don't come close to full replacement costs. Unless these people have plenty of time, money, and energy to fight for their money, which few people do, they just accept the Pablum offered.

I have no doubt that insurance companies fund elections, and spread plenty of loot around with lobbyists at both federal, state and even local governments to ensure laws that favor their interests. It makes me sick.

I’m thinking of everyone affected it is unimaginable what is happening. I feel terrible for the people and animals who have died or lost their homes.

May they Rest In Peace.

I was wondering about home insurance in California will most of the homes destroyed be insured? Is it difficult to get insurance against a wildfire?

Last year, when my friends family lost their home, while the process was long they told me that their insurance company was very helpful. They didn't know anyone who had been affected that didn't have insurance

Last night the Woolsey fire was out of control covering 54 square miles. I could see the flames from my house across the bay. This morning it has doubled in size . It's catastrophic. I cannot reach 3 friends, 2 in Malibu, and one in Calabasas. All those people and animals, horses....I'm heartsick. Here where I live in an area of canyons and tinder dry hillsides, we are on high alert.

Last night the Woolsey fire was out of control covering 54 square miles. I could see the flames from my house across the bay. This morning it has doubled in size . It's catastrophic. I cannot reach 3 friends, 2 in Malibu, and one in Calabasas. All those people and animals, horses....I'm heartsick. Here where I live in an area of canyons and tinder dry hillsides, we are on high alert.

Calabasas is where our friends are at too, @whitelilac. I'm sorry to hear you haven't gotten hold of them. I will be thinking of them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineSteph
Back