Found Deceased GA - Lynn Smith, 64, Johns Creek, 5 Nov 2018

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
A family is desperately searching for a Johns Creek woman who left her home Monday morning to run an errand and hasn't been seen since. Lynn Smith has a "history of falling asleep at the wheel." They're worried she may have crashed somewhere.

Lynn drives a 2015 burgundy Honda Odyssey.

Missing woman left home to run errand, hasn't been seen since

MissingWoman_1541529788069_13599389_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Oh looks like her phone was "accidentally" left at home. I hope it was a true accident....her friends and family are desperately worried about her per FB chatter :(

Carol Lynn Smith, 64, was last seen around 11 a.m. Monday, Nov. 5 when she left her home to run some errands. Smith left her cell phone at her home office, and has not returned to her residence. Johns Creek police said in its be-on-the-lookout alert that Smith is believed to be driving a maroon 2015 Honda Odyssey bearing Georgia tag number DPH174.

smith_carol-1541534013-9886.jpg

Carol%20Smith%20van-1541534673-9028.jpg

Woman Reported Missing In Johns Creek

I have some info that might help this case, if anyone's interested in picking it up. I'm Lynn's grandson, and I was there when she left to go run her errands. According to my uncle, who was also the one who was contacting local news stations about her disappearance, she was apparently last sighted at a gas station in Griffon, Georgia. She was asking for directions to Jackson, Georgia, and she apparently seemed confused/"out of it" according to the clerk working at the gas station. My uncle headed up there to ask the owner if he could see the security footage to verify if it was her or not, but he hasn't returned yet. Another supposed sighting of her car was on the freeway heading northbound toward Atlanta, however this info was given to us from a phone call to a news station, so it's validity is unclear. If any new information pops up, I'll report here with it.

I have some info that might help this case, if anyone's interested in picking it up. I'm Lynn's grandson, and I was there when she left to go run her errands. According to my uncle, who was also the one who was contacting local news stations about her disappearance, she was apparently last sighted at a gas station in Griffon, Georgia. She was asking for directions to Jackson, Georgia, and she apparently seemed confused/"out of it" according to the clerk working at the gas station. My uncle headed up there to ask the owner if he could see the security footage to verify if it was her or not, but he hasn't returned yet. Another supposed sighting of her car was on the freeway heading northbound toward Atlanta, however this info was given to us from a phone call to a news station, so it's validity is unclear. If any new information pops up, I'll report here with it.

Does she take any medication/not taken the medication that would cause her to be confused/out of it. I was thinking low blood sugar.

Does she take any medication/not taken the medication that would cause her to be confused/out of it. I was thinking low blood sugar.
Turns out that lead was a dead end. My uncle just returned from that gas station and said the woman in the footage was someone else. However, we have recently hired a private investigator so hopefully some new leads will turn up soon, I'll report here if any do.

To answer your question, though, she does take a lot of medications. I'd say that she takes anywhere from 15-20 different meds every day. Her main ailments are, to my knowledge, liver disease, kidney disease, and type-2 diabetes. However, I think that these are unrelated to the reason why she disappeared in the first place. Lately, she has been under a tremendous amount of stress from several different sources. So much, in fact, that it literally caused her to have a vein occlusion in her left eye, which is similar to having a stroke in your eye instead of your brain. That was a while ago, however, and she seemed to recover quite well. Recently, though, her job has been very inconsistent and rather non-transparent about when and how they would pay her. At times, it was unclear whether or not she would get paid in the next month, or in the next 6 months. And I believe, from what my grandfather told me, that her job had sent her an email the morning that she left to run these errands that had caused her a great deal of frustration. There is no doubt in my mind that she either left on purpose with no intention of "running errands," or that she actually did go to run errands, and then suffered some sort of mental breakdown while she was out.

Turns out that lead was a dead end. My uncle just returned from that gas station and said the woman in the footage was someone else. However, we have recently hired a private investigator so hopefully some new leads will turn up soon, I'll report here if any do.

To answer your question, though, she does take a lot of medications. I'd say that she takes anywhere from 15-20 different meds every day. Her main ailments are, to my knowledge, liver disease, kidney disease, and type-2 diabetes. However, I think that these are unrelated to the reason why she disappeared in the first place. Lately, she has been under a tremendous amount of stress from several different sources. So much, in fact, that it literally caused her to have a vein occlusion in her left eye, which is similar to having a stroke in your eye instead of your brain. That was a while ago, however, and she seemed to recover quite well. Recently, though, her job has been very inconsistent and rather non-transparent about when and how they would pay her. At times, it was unclear whether or not she would get paid in the next month, or in the next 6 months. And I believe, from what my grandfather told me, that her job had sent her an email the morning that she left to run these errands that had caused her a great deal of frustration. There is no doubt in my mind that she either left on purpose with no intention of "running errands," or that she actually did go to run errands, and then suffered some sort of mental breakdown while she was out.

Thank you for answering. It seems she has an enormous about of obstacles to overcome. I hope she is found safe.

I'm so sorry the tip didn't pan out, and to hear about Lynn's recent difficulties and stress. Stress can make you mentally and physically ill, I know because I've just been through two highly stressful months myself and not only did I become ill, I was also at times extremely tired, couldn't focus, and thought I lose my mind.

I hope Lynn has just gone off to stay in a motel or somewhere for a few days just so she can get some much needed rest and relaxation.

But how would she cope without her medications? Does she have them in her car? Did she take anything else with her?

Thank you so much for your graceful and calm nature as you share what's going on. Please know that a lot of folks here might be able to help (if they're local) or offer ideas and insight. And others can offer support, love, prayers (if you desire), or just a soft space to land if you need to vent or seek clarity. Please please let us know what we can do. Until then, we will do what we do here.

I'd be remiss not to suggest you become "verified" in Lynn's case... so that we know for sure that anything you share here is the real deal. I have no doubt, but this site has had its share of folks who get involved for nefarious reasons.

Can someone share the link for becoming verified?

Thanks for the link, I've submitted the email for verification so I should obtain insider status soon.

In other news, we believe that we have found a solid lead for this case. A man recently called my grandfather's cell phone (the number posted on the missing person flyers), saying he had sighted her minivan on Georgia State Route 400, apparently a mile north of the outlet mall in Dawsonville. Currently the detectives are mobilizing to the area, and the man himself who called in is confident enough in his testimony that he is also going over to help search the area. As for his testimony itself, he described the minivan as moving "erratically," and said that it had almost hit his car. He assumed that it was a drunk driver, until he saw one of the missing person flyers 30 minutes or so before he called in. He noted the 12 Stone sticker on the bottom left of the car's rear window and said that he had no doubt that it was her.

Personally, I think that his sighting and testimony also lines up with our own theories for her disappearance. She has clearly had some form of memory loss, as the new sleep medication that she was recently prescribed is known to cause memory loss when interacting with some other medications, so what we're thinking is that side effect of her medication hit her while she was driving, or perhaps she pulled over somewhere to rest because she had gotten little to no sleep the night prior, and when she woke up she had lost some of her memory (why she was there, the way to get home, etc). It is also possible that she may have slept for quite some time, because my grandfather noted that sometimes when she has these rough patches where she has trouble sleeping for several nights in a row, when she actually finally does go to sleep, she can be asleep for anywhere from 12-14 hours. It's possible that she could have been asleep for even longer due to this sleeping medication.

And to answer your question from earlier, she didn't take any of her medications with her at all. I'm not sure how long she can go without taking them, but it's certain that if she doesn't come home within maybe the next two weeks, something bad will undoubtedly happen. However, I believe that due to the fact that she left her medications, we can also rule out the possibility that she disappeared on purpose.

If we get any new information, I'll post about it.

I have been following this case and her son just posted that they found the van and his mom. Sadly, she is deceased. There were no other details except a very sweet and heartfelt thanks to all who helped look for his mom. So very sad and so sorry for the loss of your grandmother, nonagon. I hoped and prayed for a different outcome.

Hello everyone, I was coming in today to let you all hear the news but it seems that JudyBolton beat me to it. I can't give out any details regarding her death quite yet, because the investigation is currently ongoing, but she was found deceased in her car yesterday. Thank you to everyone who posted in/read the thread, I'm grateful to all of you. If there are any more final details that come up, I will post them with my grandfather's consent.

I am so sorry for your loss. It doesn't look like there was anything anyone could've done to change the outcome assuming her death is attributed to pre existing medical conditions. My sympathies to all family members, this type of tragedy is only going to become more common I'm afraid.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back