Anthony Bourdain, 61, Tv Chef And Travel Host, Found Dead, Suicide

Just now watching the Kenya episode with W. Kamau Bell. Lovely episode as always. Still so very sad about AB.

I hate the fact that (IMO) AA threw him under the bus like that over her own sexual assault allegations with the young actor. He's not here to defend himself or explain himself, even if he wanted to. I lost a lot of respect for her over that.

Hope everyone is staying safe and taking good care of themselves.

xoxo
La Louve

This is ludicrous. The facts are we have no idea what Anthony knew or didn’t know. He alone is responsible for his death - not Asia or anyone else. I’m not an Asia fan but it is shocking and horrifying to me the lengths people are going to villianize her for a decision that he made. He admitted to his struggles with depression and drugs and yet people refuse to take his own words at face value. He was mentally ill and self medicated bottom line.

Masterj,
You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.
I apologize for not noting my statement was My opinion only.
That opinion still stands.
True AB had his own demons ….yes he was a suicide risk, but the timing is something I find suspicious--Why then . It was just weeks before the Argento story broke...….again MOO

Anthony Bourdain visited Indonesia on last Sunday's episode of Parts Unknown. The entire program was very dark with AB making several death references. Very little about food. Disappointing.

Next Sunday's episode:

Bourdain's Impact
Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown episode (season 12, episode 4)

How Anthony Bourdain's unique perspective and voice altered the world of food, travel and culture, and in the process reinvented how audiences watched television and engaged intimately and actively with the world around them.

Final season of Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown continues tonight:

9:00 PM on CNN, 1 hr 2018

Season 12 Episode 5 West Texas

Bourdain travels to the untamed land of Big Bend, Texas, near the Mexican border, an area that pits man against nature and in which the land usually wins.

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown will be preempted tonight Sunday, November 4) with CNN election coverage. The final original episode of Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown will be New York's Lower East Side, airing November 11 2018.

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown will be preempted tonight Sunday, November 4) with CNN election coverage. The final original episode of Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown will be New York's Lower East Side, airing November 11 2018.
I was looking forward to watching :(

The final season of Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown concludes tonight.

Tonight, 9:00 PM on CNN, 1 hr 15 min 2018
Season 12 • Episode 7 • Lower East Side
Bourdain takes a personal journey through this formerly bohemian New York City neighborhood, as he meets, shares meals and reflects with music, film and art trailblazers...

Anthony Bourdain enjoys hard-boiled EGGS as his final meal in last ever Parts Unknown episode as he returns to his punk rock roots in Manhattan's Lower East Side to chow down with Debbie Harry
  • Anthony Bourdain's last Parts Unknown episode saw him eat hard-boiled eggs
  • His musician and painter John Lurie serves him a plate in a New York apartment
  • Bourdain said: 'Eggs, the perfect food' as he told his friend he is 'grateful'
  • The episode centers around NYC as his journey from a drug-addicted chef to a big TV personality
  • Well-known names who appear include Debbie Harry and Fab Five Freddy
  • It ends with a montage and a hard cut to a black screen
By LEAH SIMPSON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 01:53 EST, 12 November 2018
Anthony Bourdain enjoys hard-boiled eggs as for final meal as Parts Unknown airs posthumous episode | Daily Mail Online

I swear sometimes I think I must live in a cave. I only started watching this AB a couple of months ago and had no idea that he commited suicide. The show was awesome and I never understood how I did not know it existed or that he was a chef???
Just one day I was looking through channels with time on my hands and said wow, that show was really good. Then I saw the ad for the one on West Texas ( I really wanted to see that one) but it was pre-emptied for the voting results so never did see it. It has been on since but late at night when I am already in bed.
I had no clue of any of this because I was not familiar with it. How sad, he was great, extremely interesting and I will continue to watch whatever episodes they do show.
I actually learn more on Websleuths than the news most times.

Another friend confirming what many of us believe...

Anthony Bourdain's friend Chef Daniel Boulud says 'Parts Unknown' host died because 'his heart was broken’

Bourdain-Boulud.jpg

Chef Daniel Boulud recalls best moments with Anthony Bourdain and why he thinks he took his life.

"Best memory, of course, is when he took me to Lyon and we did a show on Lyon," he shared. “He took me to the school that I grew up as a kid and we sat down with 8-year-old children at the cafeteria and talked food with the children and had a lunch with the kids."

He continued, “Tony was so impressed by the quality of the food they were serving the children and I think that touched me a lot. And the time we spent with my parents and with Paul Bocuse as well.”

@The Farm, add to your watching list "No Reservations", the show AB did for Travel Channel before moving to CNN. Pretty much the same format and he did several seasons of that show too.

Happy viewing!

Just want to add that DH and I rented (free) DVDs from local library to catch up on past seasons of Parts Unknown that we missed when they first aired. Library also had other Anthony Bourdain series including No Reservations, Cook's Tour, and The Layover.

Last edited:
National Geographic Channel's Startalk, hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson, recently aired an interview with Anthony Bourdain, talking about food and the science of cooking. Here's a clip:

You can also listen on Startalk Radio Anthony Bourdain Archives - StarTalk Radio Show by Neil deGrasse Tyson.

FYI If you have Xfinity cable (perhaps other US cable companies have this feature?) you can log in to your account online and watch past episodes on demand, as long as you have CNN or Travel Channel or NatGeo in your cable subscription.

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/22/anthony-bourdain-keepsake-book-for-daughter-will-be-released/

A book created for Anthony Bourdain’s daughter will now be available to all.

According to People, CNN created the “keepsake” for the “Parts Unknown” host’s 11-year-old daughter, Ariane, after he took his own life in 2018.

The book, “Anthony Bourdain Remembered,” is filled with photos, memories and quotes from his famous friends, including Barack Obama and José Andrés.

It’s unclear how the celebrity chef’s estate came to agree to have the work published.

“Anthony Bourdain’s passing was a huge loss to us all and there isn’t a day that goes by when we don’t miss his singular presence,” said Daniel Halpern, president and publisher of Ecco. “‘Anthony Bourdain Remembered’ reminds me of the joy that he brought to everyone who knew him or watched him on-air as he moved in his particular way around the globe. It is the perfect memento for those of us who, through his shows, came to know the others who inhabit our planet — and an homage to the world’s most beloved traveler.”

Many of the images in the book were captured by Bourdain’s own photographer David Scott Hollaway, who traveled with the star all over the globe.

“I saw the whole world thanks to him,” Holloway said. “Tony took me along for the ride.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/22/anthony-bourdain-keepsake-book-for-daughter-will-be-released/

According to People, CNN created the “keepsake” for the “Parts Unknown” host’s 11-year-old daughter, Ariane, after he took his own life in 2018.

The book, “Anthony Bourdain Remembered,” is filled with photos, memories and quotes from his famous friends, including Barack Obama and José Andrés.

It’s unclear how the celebrity chef’s estate came to agree to have the work published.

“Anthony Bourdain’s passing was a huge loss to us all and there isn’t a day that goes by when we don’t miss his singular presence,” said Daniel Halpern, president and publisher of Ecco. “‘Anthony Bourdain Remembered’ reminds me of the joy that he brought to everyone who knew him or watched him on-air as he moved in his particular way around the globe. It is the perfect memento for those of us who, through his shows, came to know the others who inhabit our planet — and an homage to the world’s most beloved traveler.”

Many of the images in the book were captured by Bourdain’s own photographer David Scott Hollaway, who traveled with the star all over the globe.

“I saw the whole world thanks to him,” Holloway said. “Tony took me along for the ride.”

Thanks for posting this.

IMO, AB was an awesome, cat-loving dude who gave so much to the world.

His down-to-earth honesty, getting boozed up during the show and NGAF, and his sensitivity about conflict zones will be missed.

I will remain ambivalent about AA and her role in his decision to call it quits in this life.

moo

Thanks for posting this, Seattle. Halpern is one of the best editors out there. And his loss is personal, too, as Bordain’s editor, and as he and Bordain had created an imprint at Ecco, for emerging writers. So, I’m sure it will be a truly wonderful collection of remembrances.

And its timing is poignant. I’m glad much of the controversy that led up to his passing has passed.

Anthony Bordain was such a rugged and handsome man, gifted writer and storyteller, as well as chef extraordinaire! There is much to love and celebrate in remembering him.

As I watched the reruns of Parts Unknown, the Vietnam episode still takes my breath away, that singular image of Bordain cruising through the dragon mountains on that giant boat to the background of James Bond music. It gives me the goosies. —Such a fine piece of cinema.

And, one of the last episodes where his crew remembered him was so delightful, and sorrowful.

The greats soar high and sometimes that comes with the price of a certain burden to bear. He was that kind of genius.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back