Found Deceased NC - Hania Noelia Aguilar, 13, abducted, Lumberton, 5 Nov 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who lives in the area, it is most definitely high crime. A lot of drug activity. However, with that said, abductions are not something that happen. So we can sit there and say the area isn’t “desirable”, it’s not like this is a normal occurrence.

Yes fort Bragg is nearby. I don’t know if I would say that has any connection to it. Lumberton was SEVERELY under water with this last hurricane. There were a lot of people in and out of that town.

There have been three women (I believe) that we’re missing and found dead. They all have a history of drug abuse. I wouldn’t connect these two at all.
Welcome to Websleuths, Kristineellen. :) We always appreciate having posters who are local. Very glad you've joined us and I look forward to your contributions. MOO

Notes from presser 11/12/18

Police Chief Michael McNeill…
  • One week has passed since HNA went missing.
  • Again provided remarks regarding checking sheds and outbuildings, and to call the tip-line if anything is unusual or out of place on your property
  • Re: morning of Monday, November 5 - consider if you know anything that can help in this case
  • In this past week, if there is someone you know who has suddenly changed their behavior, not doing things that they would normally do, then call the tip-line.
  • Maybe they haven’t gone to work, haven’t come home, or haven’t answered calls or text messages.
  • They continue to ask for prayers to bring Hania back home.
FBI Agent Andy de la Rocha…
  • Continued Chief McNeill’s message to the community, urging anyone who may think they have information to call the tip-line.
  • They are following a number of leads to find Hania
  • There are a lot of rumors and mis-information being shared on SM; if the info is not from Lumberton PD or FBI, it is not credible, it’s not reliable, it’s not confirmed, and probably not true.
  • Spreading rumors and gossip online doesn’t help; it hurts the investigation.
  • If you have any information - anything that you can think of that might be relevant to this investigation - they want you to share it. They want to speak with you directly.
  • “We have to find Hania."

FBI Agent Liza Vita…
  • Provided remarks in Spanish

Q&A notes answered by FBI Agent Andy
  • “Our approach is that she is alive. We have no indication to indicate otherwise. We have no evidence that indicates otherwise. We are pursuing all logical leads.”
  • There is a lot of work being done by analysts, professional staff, detectives, Special Agents, policemen, that they are hopeful will lead them to the logical conclusion of bringing Hania home.
  • Re: HNA’s mom - With her sense of being overwhelmed, she is asking that her message continues to be conveyed through LE’s press releases. They want to respect her privacy at this time.
  • No comment on what evidence they have received, and what has been transported to laboratory in Quantico.
  • “We are making progress every single day. We feel much better than we did yesterday.”
  • They are using all means to track her down physically, electronically, if that is viable.
  • Re: surveillance of man walking - They have received a number of significant leads from the public. At this time, they are asking the public to continue to review the surveillance of the man walking; look at the gait, the height, what they were wearing. At this time they don’t have that person identified 100%.
  • After reviewing CCTV footage, that is the only individual walking at that time of the day. He/she may have seen something important. May help them include or exclude certain clues.
  • Timetable of man walking around: “We believe the video was filmed approximately one hour - in the hour - approximately - leading up to Hania’s kidnapping.”
  • They are still reviewing a number of cameras that had a number of angles around that street. Any helpful videos that they come across as helpful, they will push it out to the public.
  • Re: how many tips? They’ve received “several hundred” aside from residents of the community who have stopped them to provide information they think is relevant to the investigation.
FBI Spokesperson Shelley Lynch…
  • Continued Police Chief’s remarks re: changes in behavior
  • Continued FBI agent Andy’s remarks re: social media rumors

I took notice of this statement from today's press conference:

"They’ve received “several hundred” aside from residents of the community who have stopped them to provide information they think is relevant to the investigation."

Speaking to the police outside is another way to provide information other than phoning or emailing the tips without giving identifying information. Of course, the police visually see the person but don't have knowledge of the person's identity.

This statement alone would put fear in the perpetrator's mind.

More importantly, whoever has knowledge of this crime may be alarmed enough to report what they know - before they themselves are charged with a serious crime.

Last edited:
(snipped by carbuff)

... I don't think there is a connection to Hania's abduction but reading about that case could give insight into why people in Lumberton are afraid to speak to the press and afraid to speak to the police. What do you think? Are average citizens who are not undocumented or not criminals also afraid to speak up due to a fear of retaliation from an unknown criminal(s)?

After living in the Boston area during part of the Whitey Bulger years: yes. Yes, the fear becomes an almost palpable thing sometimes. Because you aren't just afraid of something that might happen. You know that people have been killed in retaliation. You've seen it on the news. Maybe you happen to work with the sister of a waiter whose only crime was being at work when a gangster was gunned down at his table. Maybe you knew one of the girls who was grabbed leaving work, dragged to a hotel room, and raped repeatedly because one of the gangster's bodyguards took a fancy to her. Maybe you were afraid to take your dance-loving daughter to see the Nutcracker because you'd have to park in the part of town where the parking garage was still taped off from a previous shooting. Or maybe you just saw on TV where the guy gunned down in the parking garage was believed to have been an informant but turned out not to be.

Yeah, this kind of violence does not just affect the people doing criminal things. It's like a cancer and the whole community dies a little every day.

I took notice of this statement :
"They’ve received “several hundred” aside from residents of the community who have stopped them to provide information they think is relevant to the investigation."

Speaking to the police outside is another way to provide information other than phoning or emailing the tips without giving identifying information. Of course, the police visually see the person but don't have knowledge of the person's identity.

This statement alone should put fear in the perpetrator's mind. More importantly, whoever has knowledge of this crime may be alarmed enough to report what they know - before they themselves are charged with a serious crime.
At this point in the Barron WI case of Jayme Closs they were investigating over 1700 tips.

This statement alone should put fear in the perpetrator's mind. More importantly, whoever has knowledge of this crime may be alarmed enough to report what they know - before they themselves are charged with a serious crime.

This is really encouraging that people are speaking to the police in person. Thank you Zencompass.
I hope you are right and that the criminal or criminals who were involved in Hania's abduction will turn themselves in.

After living in the Boston area during part of the Whitey Bulger years: yes. Yes, the fear becomes an almost palpable thing sometimes. Because you aren't just afraid of something that might happen. You know that people have been killed in retaliation. You've seen it on the news. Maybe you happen to work with the sister of a waiter whose only crime was being at work when a gangster was gunned down at his table. Maybe you knew one of the girls who was grabbed leaving work, dragged to a hotel room, and raped repeatedly because one of the gangster's bodyguards took a fancy to her. Maybe you were afraid to take your dance-loving daughter to see the Nutcracker because you'd have to park in the part of town where the parking garage was still taped off from a previous shooting. Or maybe you just saw on TV where the guy gunned down in the parking garage was believed to have been an informant but turned out not to be.

Yeah, this kind of violence does not just affect the people doing criminal things. It's like a cancer and the whole community dies a little every day.

Exactly. Well said, carbuff.

Not saying there is, saying the circumstance of carjacking, kidnapping, and abandoning vehicle..... in Lumberton

I went down the Lumberton rabbit hole today. Started looking into Sara Graham to see if there were any leads/other similarities (vehicle found abandoned in a field about 12 miles from the HNA vehicle), which lead me to missing Abby Lynn Patterson, then 3 women whose bodies were found little over a year ago in Lumberton, then a 4th body... All in the last 3 years and all remain unsolved.

Did anyone notice that in the presser it says they haven't identified the walking man "100 percent"?? That gives me hope that perhaps they THINK they know who it is? If so, that means they are AT LEAST getting some tips to check out or some leads to check out as to this person. Crossing my fingers here!!

This statement alone would put fear in the perpetrator's mind.

More importantly, whoever has knowledge of this crime may be alarmed enough to report what they know - before they themselves are charged with a serious crime.

I thought there was emphasis on the change in behavior too and the comment about feeling better today than yesterday as to where the investigation is. Good points @zencompass

This is really encouraging that people are speaking to the police in person. Thank you Zencompass.
I hope you are right and that the criminal or criminals who were involved in Hania's abduction will turn themselves in.

Dear Gardener1850,

I was referring to a person who may have knowledge of this crime/the perpetrator. Not the criminal involved.

Someone who knows who the perpetrator is may contact the police, even anonymously.

It is surprising and greatly fortunate when an individual contacts the police with their knowledge of a violent crime.

Perhaps a person wouldn't call about a stolen vehicle but when the crime involves a young girl , there are times when their conscience won't allow them to withhold the information.

It is not out of the realm of possibilities and I realize I am being hopeful. But it does happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member