California Wildfires 2018

It is getting a bit annoying the focus on the celebrities. The firefighters took the time to save reality star Camille Grammer’s two Ferraris from her garage in Malibu when people are dying it really annoyed people on social media. The non-celebrity victims are just as important.
That's rather shocking to me about saving ferraris, I guess it's a California thing. To my view, celebrities can much more easily afford to lose their houses and possessions than most people, because they likely have extra wealth stashed away, are more likely to have insurance, and can easily make more money to buy shiny new everything.

In Pictures - The animals caught in wildfire destruction

As deadly wildfires burn across California, communities are counting the toll in not just human losses, but in wildlife and household pets too.

The National Fire Protection Association recommends that animal owners in at-risk areas have evacuation plans for animals in place, but because of how urgent some orders were, many were unable to return home for their pets and other animals.

California's deadliest wildfire kills 42

Thirteen more bodies have been recovered in California, bringing the death toll in the US state's deadliest wildfires to 42, officials say.

The remains were found in and around the largely incinerated town of Paradise, in the north of the state.

At least 228 people are missing, as the Camp Fire continues to rage. Nearly 7,200 structures have been destroyed, and another 15,500 are at risk.

Prayers for all affected by the many fires this year. So sad to hear the recent news.

The picture of the melted metal from a car shows how hot the fires can get. Some tried to escape and got caught in traffic backlogs which is so sad. The winds must have been really bad to fuel the flames so quickly.
I think it's a shocking number of fatalities, surely there will be some analysis of why so many people died on their way out of town. This article hints that some locals feel, they'd had so many "false" evacuations in past years, some people (including perhaps authorities) had become complacent. Camp Fire's fury overwhelmed fire-wary residents of Paradise

The same thing happened with Hurricane Katrina, on a larger scale, there's now a much more consistent effort to try to alarm people about hurricane threats and prepare for mass evacuation. "There is nothing we can build that nature can not destroy."
Hubris, complacency: lessons of Katrina humbled us all

I think it's a shocking number of fatalities, surely there will be some analysis of why so many people died on their way out of town. This article hints that some locals feel, they'd had so many "false" evacuations in past years, some people (including perhaps authorities) had become complacent. Camp Fire's fury overwhelmed fire-wary residents of Paradise

The same thing happened with Hurricane Katrina, on a larger scale, there's now a much more consistent effort to try to alarm people about hurricane threats and prepare for mass evacuation. "There is nothing we can build that nature can not destroy."
Hubris, complacency: lessons of Katrina humbled us all
I've read some good analyses and recommendations here and there on the 'web, one of them being that various evacuation routes need to be cleared of trees and vegetation for at least a good 50 feet on both sides of a road, in populated fire-prone areas. There are probably some places in CA and other dry states where this is done ( and in cities where there is so much pavement, of course), but if not, it should be.

Fires in CA are named after location, not cause. In this case, it started near a road called Camp Creek Road, hence the name.

Paradise is a small town with not many ways out. In addition, while trying to get out, the fire was moving too fast, roads kept getting closed. It took my family an hour to go just 2 blocks, and over 8 hours to get to safety to a place that normally only takes 1.5 hours at most. Flames were literally hitting people's cars, it was dark, and smokey and many people were getting diverted to side roads they may not have been familiar with or not recognized under the circumstances. My parents lived there for over 30 years and my stepmom got lost several times. It was sheer chaos.

Winds were over 50mph so aircraft couldn't fight the fire, it was moving too fast for cars/people to literally outrun. It was 'the perfect storm' so to speak. They received normal evac warnings, notices. Yes, as any emergency, some ignored, many were elderly and simply couldn't or didn't know about it. It's just a tragedy.

Read this am the poor little orange kitty did not survive :(

Does anyone know the regulations in parks in California I would guess that having a campfire is forbidden and you can be prosecuted for it?

Here in Montana, they put up fire restrictions during high fire alert days. Meaning no fires at all, even in a fire pit. It is a huge fine if you don't follow the rules. Including they can restrict your future camping reservations.

I don't think that this fire was caused by a camp fire.

The problem here, was the location, with one road in and out of the canyon. That is scary when you think about it. They have had fires in this area before, but the fire never jumped the creek. This time it did.

Interesting note, a lot of people didn't have enough gas in their cars to escape, good lesson to always keep at least 1/2 tank of gas in car, and fill it up.

2 of my family members had less than half a tank of gas. How they escaped knowing that is beyond me. Definitely a divine intervention or somebody looking out, is all I can say.

They also had a horse penned in their yard they couldn't take. Houses were both leveled and somehow the horse survived.

Fires are a bizarre thing.

Also, many people asking why you see so many trees surrounding with all of the destruction. It's actually quite common. Especially with these fast moving fires. The fires will burn thru the older, dead wood (ie houses) vs live trees. Live trees can have 50% water. Try burning a live tree--it's not as easy as one would think.

This is a picture of what is left of my dad's house. Cars, motorcycles, not even a clue they existed--fire burned them to ashes. But, notice all of the trees surrounding the area. Fascinating, outside of the devastation, obviously . . .

Attachments

• Dad house - fire 2018 - 1.jpg
    Dad house - fire 2018 - 1.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 44
2 of my family members had less than half a tank of gas. How they escaped knowing that is beyond me. Definitely a divine intervention or somebody looking out, is all I can say.

They also had a horse penned in their yard they couldn't take. Houses were both leveled and somehow the horse survived.

Fires are a bizarre thing.

Also, many people asking why you see so many trees surrounding with all of the destruction. It's actually quite common. Especially with these fast moving fires. The fires will burn thru the older, dead wood (ie houses) vs live trees. Live trees can have 50% water. Try burning a live tree--it's not as easy as one would think.

This is a picture of what is left of my dad's house. Cars, motorcycles, not even a clue they existed--fire burned them to ashes. But, notice all of the trees surrounding the area. Fascinating, outside of the devastation, obviously . . .

Sad to hear of the property damage but glad your relatives are ok and the horse.

You are right about still growing wood versus dead or dying wood or dead tree branches and brush that died off for the winter.

I burn a lot of tree limbs and trees that have fallen down and so long as wood has been dead for awhile it burns easily. But if its a fresh cut tree branch or fresh wood then it is very hard to get it to burn. I usually have to wait about two weeks for fresh cut wood to burn.

The interesting thing is if a fire is hot enough then even the green fresh wood and limbs will eventually burn. What happens is the heat of the flames first dries it all out and then it eventually burns. It takes time though to do that with sustained heat and burning.

ETA
So you are absolutely right that with a quick moving fire I would expect some of the more lively healthy trees to make it. Which is a good thing if some trees made it.

It takes so long for trees to grow back that it is depressing to see barren areas that have burned completely down. The physchological toll of this fire will unfortunately take a toll on people too as they see the tree devastation for years to come. Such a sad thing. :(

Last edited:
My heart is broken for all of the people who have lost their lives.

I watched the fires on TV from far away and all of it seems surreal for me to even comprehend.

But knowing this is the stark reality so many are facing makes me have so much compassion and sympathy for all who are affected.

I saw a report that one of the fires may have started by a spark from a powerline. I find that so frightening knowing it only takes one spark to cause such devastation.

During hurricane Michael we had power transformers exploding on both sides of us but thank God it did not start fires in our area.

My heart hurts for everyone caught up in these raging fires including all the animals that will surely lose their lives too.

I pray for containment soon and pray for everyone in the areas affected. God bless them all.

I have not watched this video because I find anyone filming the remains of human beings and putting it on YouTube absolutely disgusting. These poor people have loved ones and they should never see this. People should show dignity and respect to those poor people who have tragically lost their lives.
I absolutely agree, and I was shocked beyond belief by what was pictured. I had no foreknowledge of the content and had to cut the video off in shock. I think it is important to show the urgency needed to heed evacuations but I truly can't believe the unedited footage is still up.

Fires in CA are named after location, not cause. In this case, it started near a road called Camp Creek Road, hence the name.

Paradise is a small town with not many ways out. In addition, while trying to get out, the fire was moving too fast, roads kept getting closed. It took my family an hour to go just 2 blocks, and over 8 hours to get to safety to a place that normally only takes 1.5 hours at most. Flames were literally hitting people's cars, it was dark, and smokey and many people were getting diverted to side roads they may not have been familiar with or not recognized under the circumstances. My parents lived there for over 30 years and my stepmom got lost several times. It was sheer chaos.
As far as I am aware, you need a permit.

But, the "Camp Fire" didn't start from an actual camp fire.

Thank you to you and everyone who explained how the camp fire got it’s name. I mistakenly thought it was started by an actual camp fire.

Winds were over 50mph so aircraft couldn't fight the fire, it was moving too fast for cars/people to literally outrun. It was 'the perfect storm' so to speak. They received normal evac warnings, notices. Yes, as any emergency, some ignored, many were elderly and simply couldn't or didn't know about it. It's just a tragedy.

Read this am the poor little orange kitty did not survive :(

The poor cat must have been in absolute agony. Heartbreaking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back