Norway Norway - Arjen Kamphuis, 47, Dutch citizen, Bodø, 20 Aug 2018 - #2

This would be a perfectly simple explanation. However: Arjen would have assembled his kayak on a beach or "beachy" spot. Let's say: Rognan beach. There are no crevices on that beach and if he would have collapsed while taking a leak in the bushes, his body would have been found the next day(s).

Could it have been another beach? Then he would have had to reach that beach first. With all his luggage. Let's say for instance, Setså beach. He would have had to travel to Setså to assemble his kayak there. And then again, there are no crevices on that beach, etc.

A combination of the above could be: assemble the kayak at Rognan (including the luggage), paddle to Setsa to take a break, take a leak. Then something goes wrong. But then again, he should have left some traces at Setså. (...)
1008630_h86a08eb760c2a599bd8b_v1249931695_562x450.jpeg

Setså
SETSÅ STASJON,saltdal kommune

There is this thing about time. The kayak, paddle and bag weren't found until after almost 3 weeks. Perhaps the kayak and the paddle landed on the shore some days before being found, but still. It took them quite a while to arrive where they did from Rognan, and no one noticed the kayak in the meantime.
The bag was found floating in the water on the day it was found ~ can anyone do the math where it might have gone into the water 3 weeks before to end up where it was found? Of course this would be complicated due to the tide and the currents in the fjord.

I know that @Cave did a test with boxes that were thrown into the fjord with the help of volunteers and one box that I know of was found rather quickly, it had travelled quite a distance from its starting point Rognan. My impression is that it went a lot quicker than the stuff of Arjen. But I am quoting from memory here. Better ask @Cave if he is still around.

All this made me think of a delay. One form of delay could be that the kayak, loaded with luggage first flipped over and got stuck for a while. Another form of delay might be that the kayak was left on a shore or a riverbank, and started to float when the water levels rose. On the website that is unfortunately no longer on line there were pictures of rocky rivers that might have caused considerable damage to the kayak, especially if it was heavy (if I remember well).

I have a slight preference for the rocky riverbanks because of the damage to the kayak. I hope an expert can confirm or exclude this.

The trouble is that Arjen isn't an ordinary person.His cyberworld, experiences and interest is quite different then ours.
People he works with,are also very differently
than average.

It raises more questions then answers and the reason why I asked this question "how far can you go with a kayak,that isn't prepared in a proper way and could be loaded with luggage?"

I was refering to this post:
[URL="https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/norway-arjen-kamphuis-47-dutch-citizen-bod%C3%B8-20-aug-2018.389321/page-41#post-14460799"]Norway - Arjen Kamphuis, 47, Dutch citizen, Bodø, 20 Aug 2018[/URL]
Maybe an expert did investigate the kayak damage and police confirmed this conclusion to the family?

Also it still isn't clear to me,where the seat,paddle is found..the kayak was dragged onshore by someone..(maybe stuff were taken out..before it was reported found to LE)

But I do think that the phone ping on that evening was from Arjen,himself..maybe he was in trouble and reached out for help.

There is this thing about time. The kayak, paddle and bag weren't found until after almost 3 weeks. Perhaps the kayak and the paddle landed on the shore some days before being found, but still. It took them quite a while to arrive where they did from Rognan, and no one noticed the kayak in the meantime.
The bag was found floating in the water on the day it was found ~ can anyone do the math where it might have gone into the water 3 weeks before to end up where it was found? Of course this would be complicated due to the tide and the currents in the fjord.

I know that @Cave did a test with boxes that were thrown into the fjord with the help of volunteers and one box that I know of was found rather quickly, it had travelled quite a distance from its starting point Rognan. My impression is that it went a lot quicker than the stuff of Arjen. But I am quoting from memory here. Better ask @Cave if he is still around.

All this made me think of a delay. One form of delay could be that the kayak, loaded with luggage first flipped over and got stuck for a while. Another form of delay might be that the kayak was left on a shore or a riverbank, and started to float when the water levels rose. On the website that is unfortunately no longer on line there were pictures of rocky rivers that might have caused considerable damage to the kayak, especially if it was heavy (if I remember well).

I have a slight preference for the rocky riverbanks because of the damage to the kayak. I hope an expert can confirm or exclude this.
There are still too many discrepancies. If the Kayak would have started to float when the water started to rise, that would mean that Arjen would have been left behind on the shore. . . . . to be found.
Etc.

August 20
Arjen arrived from Bodø at Rognan Station at 17.29
A few minutes later he gathered his bags and starts to walk to a place to set his kayak together.
The easiest place to do so (thread #1) is Fjord camp,about 1,8 km walk,takes circa 22 minutes,but due to his Luggage I would say 30 -40 minutes.

So if he walked straight from the station,without taken time to eat and drink,he would arrive around 18.10 here: Google Maps

I just watched this video to see how long it could took to prepare the kayak properly. Of course in the video it takes about 5 minutes,orso.But mostly in reality, (me anyway)it takes longer, especially when you are a beginner and haven't use this type before..
I guess,it is fair to say,that it takes an hour..?

2017 Coast XT – Assembly Guide on Vimeo
-

If we assume that the kayak is ready and was damaged later,it was around 19.00/1930.
If he didn't have or take the time for it, -for what reason whats so ever- ..I think 18.15/18.30

I also looked at the other scenario,The Port of Rognan, the time it took him to walk there and walked away without the luggage (would be one bag..I think,because the kayak needed one bag and that is found) but maybe some one can/will add this here,if interested and wants to leave it open ?

Last edited:
There are still too many discrepancies. If the Kayak would have started to float when the water started to rise, that would mean that Arjen would have been left behind on the shore. . . . . to be found.
Etc.

Of course he needs to be found. The point remains IMHO that we do not know where he went, nor why. If he got off the train in Rognan, where did he go? It is assumed that he went to the shore, because someone allegedly saw him going there, but not arriving. But this observation is not certain, if I remember well.

Also, it is not known if he had been to Rognan before while he was staying in Bodø. It was said that he had been making day trips in an area of +/- 70 km around Bodø , but it hasn't been revealed where he went and what he may have done there.
Did he go to Rognan before and where in Rognan and what did he do? Did he find a place that he wanted to visit again? Perhaps a cabin where he felt he could spend the night?

There are rivers and lakes in the area. If he planned to kayak downstream and take the train back, how did he get upstream or to a lake?

He did not have a car, he did not have a driver's license, he was very dependent upon public transport and the help of others.

If Arjen is not in the water of the fjord, he may well be near the place where he left the kayak with his luggage. The kayak was in use, or ready to be used, this can be inferred from the fact that the entire paddle was found. The paddle consists of three pieces that are stored in the bag. You only take them out to put them together and use the paddle. You only use the paddle when you have the kayak ready.

I hope @Cave returns here to tell us more about the results of the experiment with the boxes. This may offer more insights in the floating time of the kayak and the other items.

If the kayak started to float with a delay, this delay may have been caused by the fact that it was on a river bank in a desolate spot. It needn't have been an open beach for all to see.

#FindArjen

Of course he needs to be found. The point remains IMHO that we do not know where he went, nor why. If he got off the train in Rognan, where did he go? It is assumed that he went to the shore, because someone allegedly saw him going there, but not arriving. But this observation is not certain, if I remember well.

Also, it is not known if he had been to Rognan before while he was staying in Bodø. It was said that he had been making day trips in an area of +/- 70 km around Bodø , but it hasn't been revealed where he went and what he may have done there.
Did he go to Rognan before and where in Rognan and what did he do? Did he find a place that he wanted to visit again? Perhaps a cabin where he felt he could spend the night?

There are rivers and lakes in the area. If he planned to kayak downstream and take the train back, how did he get upstream or to a lake?

He did not have a car, he did not have a driver's license, he was very dependent upon public transport and the help of others.

If Arjen is not in the water of the fjord, he may well be near the place where he left the kayak with his luggage. The kayak was in use, or ready to be used, this can be inferred from the fact that the entire paddle was found. The paddle consists of three pieces that are stored in the bag. You only take them out to put them together and use the paddle. You only use the paddle when you have the kayak ready.

I hope @Cave returns here to tell us more about the results of the experiment with the boxes. This may offer more insights in the floating time of the kayak and the other items.

If the kayak started to float with a delay, this delay may have been caused by the fact that it was on a river bank in a desolate spot. It needn't have been an open beach for all to see.

#FindArjen
There are two locals who did the experiment with the boxes.They are on twitter,seems @Cave is not.

The kayak doesn't seem to have been assembled well and wasn't ready for use and it's very easy to assemble a paddle.

Rognan has the Saltelva river:
waterfall-in-the-river-saltelvasaltdalnorway-KXAGDP.jpg

(I don't know where this Saltelva waterfall is.) Good for kayaking? Have they searched the banks of the Saltelva?

I dont think Saltdalelva is very good for kayaking - because of the waterfall further up, where people have died by falling from bridges and in the water. It is a quiet river at that time of year (not so much in the spring though) until you reach the next train station up in the mountain where the waterfall is, so maybe this part would be better for an beginner. But it is also a very popular river for salmonfishing so I guess the fishermen would have noticed if something was not normal there. And I think it would be lot of angry people if someone was destroying their evening of fishing with padling ....

Last edited:
Vikhammer is situated halfway between Trondheim and Trondheim airport at Stjørdal.

The train Trondheim-Bodø stops at the airport, but not at Vikhammer (previously I assumed that the "Bodø train" would also stop at Vikhammer).
The Nordland Railway - nsb.no/en
https://avinor.no/en/airport/trondheim-airport/to-and-from-the-airport/bus-train-and-taxi/train

Arjen could have stayed at the airport (there is a Radisson hotel) and could have taken the train to Bodø from the airport.
But apparently he chose to travel westwards to Trondheim and stay at the Radisson in Trondheim. (There is no Radisson in Vikhammer and there is much less choice in hotels in Vikhammer.)

Did Arjen's stay at Trondheim have a purpose? While in Trondheim, he removed Signal from his phone.
7zEKpNw.jpg

The kayak doesn't seem to have been assembled well and wasn't ready for use and it's very easy to assemble a paddle.

Rognan has the Saltelva river:
waterfall-in-the-river-saltelvasaltdalnorway-KXAGDP.jpg

(I don't know where this Saltelva waterfall is.) Good for kayaking? Have they searched the banks of the Saltelva?

I have wondered what they meant when they said that. The kayak as we see it in the picture is obviously not ready for use, but IMHO this is unclear if it never was assembled to begin with, or if parts got lost after an accident (?) due to damage. LE found the seat later.

IMHO you first have to exclude the most probable option and that is that the kayak was put together by Arjen. The reason for this is that it was his kayak and he probably has done this before during his stay in the area.

How to investigate this:

Where did Arjen go when he got off the train in Rognan? Bring in the dogs and trace his steps
What caused the damage to the kayak? Let experts study the damage and the kayak itself.
What distance might the kayak have covered from the last time it was seen (august 20?) until the day it was found? A task for experts in currents, tides and streams in the fjord.

BTW I found my notes, and the one box that was found from @Cave 's experiment was thrown in the water near Rognan and travelled approximately 20 kms or more in 14 days. There is of course an unkown margin of the time between the moment it drifted ashore until it was found, this is the case with every find. Arjen's kayak probably drifted 2.5 weeks and covered a distance from 15-17 kms during that time starting from the shore in Rognan to Kvænflåget.
All these calculations are rough estimates, so they either may add up but you don't know unto you do the math with better data. IMHO there is room for a scenario in which the kayak starts its journey upstream. Of course, once it is established that Arjen walked to the shore in Rognan, this scenario no longer applies. But we do not know that either.

What I understand about rivers is that their current continues into the sea or into a fjord for a while. Salt water and sweet water may have something to do with that ... I'lll gladly leave the matter for the experts.

Excellent points that LE could have invented themselves..... but didn't.
It's almost 3 months now that Arjen has gone missing.....
His loved ones and all his belongings are still waiting for his return.....

I love that you guys are keeping this thread going with various ideas and interesting facts. I have nothing to add other than I first noticed this on the bbc news and have been following ever since. For what it's worth I still believe something nefarious happened to AK and continue to hope that more information will come to light.

If this is correct,it sure is troubling.
I thought that it was done,already.
"From this number, colleagues in Norway are still requesting a history./So there is now also a study in Denmark via the Sirene bureau"
(-Source: Dutch Police missings report Arjen Kamphuis.)

Why would the DP go to Norway and help with the investigation,which seems very expensive for both,NP & DP and then...
- negligence about the query data usage of the sim card??

Hard to believe that they haven't done so,it doesn't make sence...(to me)
They should have done this,ASAP!!!

Missing Dutch man's phone turned on days after disappearance
Sept 7 2018 rbbm.
"On August 30th, his phone was turned on in the vicinity of Vikeså, around 50 kilometers south of Stavanger. The phone was turned on for 20 minutes. After that, the SIM card was removed and a German SIM card was put into the phone. The Norwegian police is currently trying to track the history of that SIM card.

On Monday a witness reported seeing Kamphuis in Denmark, according to the police. A search for him was therefore also launched there."

3 cell towers in a short time..-20 minutes,if I am not mistaken!!

Did Arjen's stay at Trondheim have a purpose? While in Trondheim, he removed Signal from his phone.
7zEKpNw.jpg
Could these activity has something to do with Stingray phone trackers/ Fake cell phone towers?

THIS IS HOW THE FAKE CELL TOWERS WORK

• The fake base stations - or cell towers - may monitor thousands of citizens in Oslo every day.
    • They have the same size as a computer, cost between 10 000 and 12 million kroner (less than 2000 up to 2 million dollars). They make Oslo’s mobile network very unsafe.
    • The signals from the fake base station near the intersection Rådhusgata/Skippergata will blink for 20-30 seconds. Then they fade away.
    • A few minutes later, the radiosignals are back. They are much too strong, and they come from somewhere they ought not come from.
    • The alarm flashes on the advanced Falcon II-equipment belonging to the security-experts Aftenposten cooperates with. Once again we picked up the signals from an IMSI-catcher, a fake mobile base station.
    • The Falcon II indicates that signals are coming from a surveillance point only 50 – 100 meters away, probably hidden in an office, a window, a car or a small suitcase. Most probably it is placed a few hundred meters from the Prime minister’s office (SMK), the Ministry of defence, the Norwegian Defence staff and Norges Bank, the Norwegian central bank.
IMSI-catchers

• Intelligence staff, police and military men refer to the fake base stations as «IMSI-catchers», «grabbers» or «stingrays».
    • An IMSI-catcher tries to make itself as attractive as possible, in order to persuade your cell phone choose its signals instead of those coming from all the legal base stations in the vicinity. It offers strong signals and other data intended to cheat your mobile device.And this makes them easy to detect, if you know what you are looking for, according to Kyrre Sletsjøe, the manager of CEPIA Technologies, the company which conducted the monitoring for Aftenposten.
Sophisticated equipment in Oslo
— One of the IMSI-catchers we registered is so technically advanced that it operates in dual bands, says Jahn-Helge Flesvik in the security company Aeger. This equipment can pick up and identify a mobile device in a very short time.

First step to a further surveillance
In the initial stage IMSI-catchers can only be used for collecting data from the sim-card. The most advanced gadgets may register several hundred numbers in just a few minutes.

Once your mobile phone has been detected by a fake base station, it will be aware that you find yourself close to the station, and it may control what your phone will be allowed to do.

Then the IMSI-catcher may enter an active mode in order to eavesdrop on certain conversations. In the next step, the IMSI-catcher will transmit the conversation to the real GSM-system. But the spies are sitting in between, where they are able hear every word.

In addition the fake base station may register SMS-messages and install spyware which enables someone to switch on the microphone. In that case, the mobile phone may be used for monitoring rooms or offices.
Secret surveillance of Norway’s leaders detected (2014-AK must have know (ledge) about this.
Stingray phone tracker - Wikipedia
Stingray for criminals: spreading mobile malware with fake cellphone towers

@worldwatcher; I don't think so. Arjen knew methods how to stealth around. Removing Signal is not one of those methods.

Removing Signal is an indication of disconnecting from his family and friends.

Looking at Arjen's disappearance from the beginning, it has many characteristics of depression, mid life crisis and even a possible suicide.

- he bought a kayak and his friends had not heard him about kayaking before, in fact he did not tell them about this hi-tec gadget.
- he changed the destination of his holiday, nobody knew.
- he deleted Signal so they could no longer reach him via that channel
- it was said that he spoke with no one during his holiday. At the time, I did not believe that he would have gone raving mad if he had, I wrote (or similar), well maybe that is just what happened.
- on the day of his disappearance his behaviour is erratic. He has made a reservation for the night train, he takes a different train late in the afternoon, the benefits of that choice remain unclear, it would have given him hardly any time for anything. He does not cancel his reservation, nor does he cancel his flight.

Then his phone pings in Rogaland, and this appears to change everything. But does it really? Did the phone ever ping again? IMHO an accident / self inflicted accident is not necessarily excluded by those pings.

I have no explanation for those pings, but one thing I do know: phones and simcards are phones and simcards, they are not Arjen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snugglebear
Back