Found Deceased CA - Ian Powers, 32, Levi's Stadium, 49ers game, Santa Clara, 12 Nov 2018

Grim discovery made near where San Francisco 49ers' fan went missing

On Saturday afternoon, fishermen discovered the body of a fully-clothed man face down in the water about a mile offshore from a marina near Levi's Stadium, Lt. John Hutchings, spokesman for the San Jose Police Department told ABC San Francisco affiliate station KGO-TV.

The body discovered Saturday was found in the water off Alviso Marina, which is more than a 2-mile walk from Levi's Stadium.

Oh man, yeah. That's gotta be him. :(

Grim discovery made near where San Francisco 49ers' fan went missing

On Saturday afternoon, fishermen discovered the body of a fully-clothed man face down in the water about a mile offshore from a marina near Levi's Stadium, Lt. John Hutchings, spokesman for the San Jose Police Department told ABC San Francisco affiliate station KGO-TV.

The body discovered Saturday was found in the water off Alviso Marina, which is more than a 2-mile walk from Levi's Stadium.

Ohhh, boy. Many of us were concerned about Ian being found in the water near the stadium.

Whoever it is, my thoughts and prayers are with the Family and Friends.

I’ve heard of people who were given roofies in bars/clubs/restaurants who ended up missing, raped, waking up somewhere not knowing how they got there?

I suppose it could happen just as easily at a ballgame too.
JMO
This can absolutely happen.... anywhere at any time!! I know first hand because I was unknowingly drugged years ago by a so called friend (obviously we are no longer friends).

Ugh... I read the article about the body discovery this morning as well, and just felt sad about it, and had so many thoughts. My first thought was if this body is in fact Ian's here is another case of an individual drinking and being found in the water. I don't even think he was that drunk...drinking sure..wasted drunk..no. Secondly, why would you go to the water? If you're having communication issues with your family on both when and where to meet after this game, and now your phone has just died. Would you not just stand by your car and wait for them, knowing they will turn up there at some point, especially since they can no longer communicate with you. It's just sad...

Ugh... I read the article about the body discovery this morning as well, and just felt sad about it, and had so many thoughts. My first thought was if this body is in fact Ian's here is another case of an individual drinking and being found in the water. I don't even think he was that drunk...drinking sure..wasted drunk..no. Secondly, why would you go to the water? If you're having communication issues with your family on both when and where to meet after this game, and now your phone has just died. Would you not just stand by your car and wait for them, knowing they will turn up there at some point, especially since they can no longer communicate with you. It's just sad...

IF he wasn't all that intoxicated this is what he would have done, probably. I think he probably was actually wasted and just had no clue what he was doing. He may not even have remembered that he was supposed to go back to his seat after using the bathroom.

I think he sadly was just very drunk and/or high and wandered, not knowing what he was doing and it led to an accident.

If he hadn’t been drinking — or had only the one proffered beer that family members worry had been drugged — the actions of his wife & other family who may have been there seem even more odd. I could understand him not making any sense due to intoxication ... but if I knew he wasn’t and the strange phone calls / chats happened? I’d need to track him down at that point.

If he was drunk and wandered away from the stadium and went into the marshes...how would he end up floating in the water one mile off-shore?
If he walked to the marina and fell in the water there, could the tide have taken him one mile out?

ETA: If this is Ian, then another 20’s-30’s man has gone missing under very mysterious circumstances, only to be found later floating fully-clothed in the water nearby. All of these deaths can’t be suicides or accidents, can they?

JMO

Last edited:
If he wasn't drinking but instead seemed to be drugged by another person, wouldn't his GF and family have called police as soon as he didn't show up at the car after the game? I don't think anyone would take a bus an hour to a hotel thinking your partner was in danger rather than he was being a difficult drunk.

There are so many instances of men drugging women for the purpose of sexually assaulting them. This happens at bars, clubs, parties and the women are usually raped. I know I have read about same-sex attacks as well in similar situations. But I don't think it's that common for one man to drug another man he doesn't know at a football game.

If he was not used to drinking and he drank two beers quickly, maybe it hit him more than he's used to. I don't think we know what they were doing before, either - were they tailgating?

When I was using Street View to look around for where the vidcap was taken, I noticed several cameras that had view of the streets. I saw a wide-angle camera near an intersection and others on buildings looking down at the perimeters of the buildings. What I don't see are the cameras on street lights intending to get driver's faces that we have in the cities I frequent (but see this about "rat boxes"). The light rail stops on Tasman have cameras. I don't see them at bus stops, but I can't see under the roof of the stops. The VTA is using cameras now to count traffic (I noticed one in the last week).

blueeyedfemale, do you get many of the Waymo (Google) self-driving vehicles near the stadium? We get lots of them in our quiet residential neighborhood in the MV area. IMO, they need to experience all kinds 0f traffic before they're let loose on the world. A sporting event, with heavy one-directional traffic, with people directing traffic, possible street closures & even potentially counter-flow traffic, not to mention potential inebriated, angry or delirious drivers, is something they need to learn about. ..... Anyway, I would expect the Waymos & the other scattered automated vehicles are recording the video around them, in case any where in that area at the time. Other vehicles (buses, cabs, private vehicles (Uber, etc)) may also have video.

While there is good coverage of Great America Parkway & Tasman, the other streets & the Blue parking lot have little coverage that was visible from Street View.

Interesting suggestion about the driverless car data. Certainly will be more of a thing going forward.

I think we should have some kind of public warnings telling guys not to attempt to urinate in bodies of water when drunk. The risk of falling in is just too high, and lots of guys don't seem to be aware of this risk. We see this over and over, such a tragedy.

Interesting suggestion about the driverless car data. Certainly will be more of a thing going forward.

I think we should have some kind of public warnings telling guys not to attempt to urinate in bodies of water when drunk. The risk of falling in is just too high, and lots of guys don't seem to be aware of this risk. We see this over and over, such a tragedy.
I am female. Why do men HAVE to pee into bodies of water? Cant they urinate anywhere especially after a beer? and we dont know that he did that but I am just asking

I’ve heard of people who were given roofies in bars/clubs/restaurants who ended up missing, raped, waking up somewhere not knowing how they got there?

I suppose it could happen just as easily at a ballgame too.
JMO
That usually involves a motive such as rape or robbery.The chances of that in the stadium or following him after he leaves in busy parking lot are not good.

I am female. Why do men HAVE to pee into bodies of water? Cant they urinate anywhere especially after a beer? and we dont know that he did that but I am just asking

RBBM

No, not exactly.

We go to an area that is mostly bars with music and dancing during the weekends. There is a very, very stiff fine for peeing in public (I think it's $1,000). Saw a guy doing this one night behind one of the bars, and warned him - LE was sitting a few hundred yards away.

I agree with you - find a bathroom and stand in line, same as the women do.

If he wasn't drinking but instead seemed to be drugged by another person, wouldn't his GF and family have called police as soon as he didn't show up at the car after the game? I don't think anyone would take a bus an hour to a hotel thinking your partner was in danger rather than he was being a difficult drunk.

There are so many instances of men drugging women for the purpose of sexually assaulting them. This happens at bars, clubs, parties and the women are usually raped. I know I have read about same-sex attacks as well in similar situations. But I don't think it's that common for one man to drug another man he doesn't know at a football game.

If he was not used to drinking and he drank two beers quickly, maybe it hit him more than he's used to. I don't think we know what they were doing before, either - were they tailgating?

Alethea,
He was at the game with his girlfriend and two small children. No other family members were at the game. (See Post #5)
I still would have called the police if it were my husband.
Mercedes

Last edited:
Our friends from Europe can't imagine rival fans sitting together.I am a huge football fan and most ultras have to be seperated by security and barriers or there wouldn't need to be a search the victims would be in their seats.
I know, right? Soccer games in the United States also mix the fans? Because I can't see it happening in my country. The whole place would just be destroyed.
If there's a big group of friends or family members that support the rival team, they usually sit together but the ones who are fans of the rival team don't usually sport any gear and just lay low so nobody goes crazy. Also, in my country, when watching a soccer game, if you want a beer you have to get up and go get it from the concession stand (no cans or bottles allowed, everything - even soda and water, is served in plastic cups). The only thing being sold in the seatting area is popcorn and peanuts.

I don't think drugging is really an option but the family looking for excuses.
I’d put the odds of foul play here at about 500,000-1, and the odds of being drugged at 1,000,000-1. The guy got intoxicated at a football game, got lost, and sadly stumbled into the water. It happens all the time, and it’s tragic, but I firmly believe this was accidental.

blueeyedfemale said upthread that the sky is very hazy and smoky right now in that area due to the fires...and it's dark...and if he had been drinking, it seems to me it would have been easy to stumble and fall in to the water.

Chk out that pic that blueeyedfemale posted earlier w/her son and their dog. the boarded walkway and water right next to it is what i'm envisioning. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
locallady50
Back