OH - Pike County: 8 People From One Family Dead As Police Hunt For Killer(s) #36 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't see how Pike can handle a case like this, financially, and population wise. There's just not enough people to pull a non-biased jury pool for, four, DP trials, with a case of this magnitude, also Pike is a pretty strapped county. They have only 28k residents county wide. Hamilton is the third largest county with over 800k residents. I understand their desire to prosecute the case, they've worked so hard, but I just don't see how they can do it in Pike.

The last piece of significant physical evidence was discovered on October 30, 2018 and the analysis of that evidence was completed just a few days later, on Nov 7th.
From cujen81's post.... Can we speculate on that significant piece of evidence discovered On Oct 30, 2018....two and a half years after the murders? If it was a silencer that suddenly showed up, where had it been all this time" This is keeping me awake at night.

Wondered that myself. Possible that the CI found out, and told LE? Another search we didn't know about, happened to turn it up? They may have kept one in, just in case.

Wondered that myself. Possible that the CI found out, and told LE? Another search we didn't know about, happened to turn it up? They may have kept one in, just in case.
Yes, My immediate thought was the CI had most likely had insider information for a good part of the last two-and-a-half-years. But, only recently gave it up.

almond posted: Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters offers help...Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters offers help in Pike County massacre trials.

I sure hope they can try these cases outside of Pike County if what someone from the area commented on right here on WS the other night is true. The comment was something along the lines of a lot of people in the area have doubts about the accused being guilty. That's not a good sign if that person knew what they were talking about unless he/she is just talking about a few people he/she knows. The Rhodens were receiving sympathy until the subject of growing weed came up, reward money was withdrawn and then I remember the MSM articles that came out saying the town had turned their backs on the victims. Change of venue sound like a good idea imo. I think it was a mistake for LE to repeat the business about the "large grow operation" when it's questionable if that was even true. Personally, I don't think it was true.

Yes, My immediate thought was the CI had most likely had insider information for a good part of the last two-and-a-half-years. But, only recently gave it up.

I wonder if the silencer was being kept hidden by someone for safe keeping. Someplace like on a ranch or a place like that and LE was informed of this through the CI. Wouldn't this go along with the wording of a certain arrest warrant? I'm not sure. Maybe kept in a storage unit along with some of their other junk and paid for monthly by someone in the area to try keep the storage unit from being connected to them. Maybe LE had been watching them since they returned to Ohio from Alaska and wondered why they were making visits to a storage unit. Must be something good in there so they got a search warrant.
The Wags made those silencers as I understand it. I've also wondered if LE didn't find some of the "stuffing material" used when they did that search of properties before the Wag family left for Alaska. Because, you want to test out a silencer if you made it yourself and some of that "stuffing" could spit out around the test area and be left right where it landed. So LE might have been thinking about and looking to find a silencer or two ever since they found that "stuffing material" during their prior search. When they found the silencer they would test the "stuffing material" inside it and compare with what they had found earlier and... it's a match.

Last edited:
almond posted: Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters offers help...Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters offers help in Pike County massacre trials.

I sure hope they can try these cases outside of Pike County if what someone from the area commented on right here on WS the other night is true. The comment was something along the lines of a lot of people in the area have doubts about the accused being guilty. That's not a good sign if that person knew what they were talking about unless he/she is just talking about a few people he/she knows. The Rhodens were receiving sympathy until the subject of growing weed came up, reward money was withdrawn and then I remember the MSM articles that came out saying the town had turned their backs on the victims. Change of venue sound like a good idea imo. I think it was a mistake for LE to repeat the business about the "large grow operation" when it's questionable if that was even true. Personally, I don't think it was true.

I think that they'll have to move it. Four DP cases. The financial stress alone is going to be tough on the county, but they will have to call at least a couple hundred folks to interview, to find 12 suitable jurors, and possibly up to 1/2 as many alternates, and I'd think that task will be difficult at best, and then do that three more times.

Counties with larger populations, and personnel, like Franklin, Hamilton, or Montgomery, are better set up to handle a DP case. Especially one of this magnitude. Their populations may not know as many details about the case either, maybe just what they catch on the evening news.

I don't think that people in the town turned on the families, so much as they did what a lot of people do, they distanced themselves. I don't think that most folks are too worried about the weed op, but they may not want it to come out that they were a former customer.

Feeling like they will try for a plea bargain, in part due to the time and money involved in prosecuting four defendants, also, it will save the Rhoden family the ordeal of reliving this tragedy. Prosecution has enough to bargain with for sure. Article in Legal Zoom:
Plea-bargaining in capital murder cases saves taxpayers millions in court costs. But, is it is fair to the victims or their families? The very process seems to bypass the justice that comes with a standard criminal trial. Even worse is the potentially light sentence given to the accused murderer in exchange for his admission of guilt. So, why play "let's make a deal" with captured murderers? Here are some of the arguments made by prosecutors.

I found this in the Ross County Ohio court records, looks like they may have lived in Chillicothe ,Ohio. Hope this ok to post!

Ohio11/16/2012 JUDGMENT ENTRY OF SENTENCE FILED. COPY MAILED TO THE PROSECUTOR AND J. BOULGER. COPY OF ENTRY AND COST BILL PLACED IN PROBATIONS BOX. COPY TO JAIL. FOR THE OFFENSE OF RECEIVING STOLEN PROPERTY, A MISDEMEANOR OF THE FIRST DEGREE, THE DEFENDANT IS SENTENCED TO ONE (1) YEAR COMMUNITY CONTROL. DEFENDANT IS SENTENCED TO TEN (10) DAYS IN THE ROSS COUNTY JAIL IN ADDITION TO TIME ALREADY SERVED. THE JAIL SENTENCE IS SUSPENDED FOR FOURTEEN (14) DAYS PENDING PAYMENT OF RESTITUTION. IF NOT PAID WITHIN 14 DAYS, DEFENDANT IS TO REPORT TO THE ROSS COUNTY JAIL DEFENDANT IS TO SERVE TEN (10) DAYS. DEFENDANT SHALL SERVE SICTY (60) DAYS OF DAY REPORTING TO THE ROSS COUNTY PROBATION DEPARTMENT. DEFENDANT IS TO PAY RESTITUTION IN THE AMOUNT OF $248.34 TO SAMS CLUB AND $241.54 TO WAL-MART. THIS IS THE TOTAL FOR GEORGE W. WAGNER AND ANGELA J. WAGNER. DEFENDANT IS TO APY A FINE OF $500.00. COSTS TO DEFENDANT. BOND RELEASED.

Betty-I’m unable to reply to the last thread. To answer your question about where it’s listed in the indictments about movement of CR/GR’s bodies, that charge is listed in count 9 for GW3 on page 7 of 52 in the indictments.

Could it be CRsr was already dead when JW went to DR's house to take SW? JW would know DR was at work so HR would call her dad for help. HR may have then called DR when she couldn't get her dad on the phone. That may have been the call DR got at work if that is true....
Still many possibilities without the TOD for everyone....

Someone mentioned a bullet hole in a window at CRsr's trailer. We don't know which way that bullet was going. It could have been from the inside going out. There was a lot of shots made there if CRsr was shot nine times.

I think that they'll have to move it. Four DP cases. The financial stress alone is going to be tough on the county, but they will have to call at least a couple hundred folks to interview, to find 12 suitable jurors, and possibly up to 1/2 as many alternates, and I'd think that task will be difficult at best, and then do that three more times.

Counties with larger populations, and personnel, like Franklin, Hamilton, or Montgomery, are better set up to handle a DP case. Especially one of this magnitude. Their populations may not know as many details about the case either, maybe just what they catch on the evening news.

I don't think that people in the town turned on the families, so much as they did what a lot of people do, they distanced themselves. I don't think that most folks are too worried about the weed op, but they may not want it to come out that they were a former customer.

Could it be the Ws will want to plea bargain so the true depravity of what they did won't come out in public? Sort of trying to save face? Maybe an Alford Plea?

"In an Alford plea, the defendant maintains innocence or does not admit committing a crime. The court treats it as a guilty plea." The Blade (2009)
"The Alford plea means [defendant] didn't admit guilt but acknowledged that enough evidence existed to convict him." Dayton Daily News (2008)

One thing that crossed my mind the other day was that there is a possibility that because the county is so sparsely populated some posters on here from the area may be called for jury duty in the trial.

If so, would it be necessary that they disclose their presence on WebSleuths since opinions and theories have been thrown around on here for 2 1/2 years?

What does everyone think?

Could it be CRsr was already dead when JW went to DR's house to take SW? JW would know DR was at work so HR would call her dad for help. HR may have then called DR when she couldn't get her dad on the phone. That may have been the call DR got at work if that is true....
Still many possibilities without the TOD for everyone....

He said he picked up SW at around 10:30 PM that night. If that is true then that would be around the same time ChelR dropped BR off at FR's. The very fact that ChelR was at FR's and spoke to both FR and HHG would indicate that CR1 was still alive. As close as the trailers of FR's and Cr1's was I don't think they would have risked killing CR1 while FR and HHG were still awake and out about along with visitors.

JMO

I don't see how Pike can handle a case like this, financially, and population wise. There's just not enough people to pull a non-biased jury pool for, four, DP trials, with a case of this magnitude, also Pike is a pretty strapped county. They have only 28k residents county wide. Hamilton is the third largest county with over 800k residents. I understand their desire to prosecute the case, they've worked so hard, but I just don't see how they can do it in Pike.

BBM

Given the amount of intertwined relationships that we on here have found in Pike County, I am not sure how they could seat a jury that doesn't have a relative, in law or outlaw of the M's, R's, G's or W's on it. Those four families and their in-laws, friends and business associates account for a huge population of that county.

I think it will have to be moved out of Pike County.

JMO

Is it possible that the people who were supposed to stay the night at the various homes that night, particularly FR & DR’s homes, were made aware of a dispute between HMR & JW over S that evening and that’s why they didn’t stay? It’s a long shot but I still cannot understand the coincidental cancellation of several overnight guests at 3 of the locations. JMHO.

Last edited:
Could it be the Ws will want to plea bargain so the true depravity of what they did won't come out in public? Sort of trying to save face? Maybe an Alford Plea?

"In an Alford plea, the defendant maintains innocence or does not admit committing a crime. The court treats it as a guilty plea." The Blade (2009)
"The Alford plea means [defendant] didn't admit guilt but acknowledged that enough evidence existed to convict him." Dayton Daily News (2008)

They might let one plea out, to get the dirt on the rest, but I think that they will want this taken to trial, unless the family agrees to a plea. I don't see the pleading out though. I think they'll fight it til the bitter end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288