NJ - Multiple Deaths in Mansion Fire, Monmouth County, Colts Neck, 20 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

I don't know about the mob, but the drug cartels will kill any and everyone in sight.

I do feel like the answer might be in why the kids and wife were stabbed, but the father was shot. The fire came after the murders inside the house...and it doesn't appear KC was burned (as of yet). The other brother, PC, left his house at noon. His daughter asked to use the restroom before the family drove off.

I think PC could have killed the family earlier, but would he drive to his brother's house with his wife and kids in the car to torch the house? Fire and rescue were called, or there, at 12:38.

This makes no sense.
Yeah. The kids apparently weren’t at the bus stop that morning, which indicates that they may have been killed the previous evening. If so, why was KC’s body left outside in plain sight?

And how did PC manage to burn the house down, if his family was in fact with him?

There’s a lot of unanswered questions here.

Yeah. That’s why I think this is “all in the family.

If you have a grudge against a pair of brothers, you hit one, then the other.

What you do not do, is hit one, then wait several hours before targeting the second. It makes absolutely no sense.

Now if two brothers are feuding, and one of them tries to burn down the second brother’s house, then this makes a bit more sense.

I’d love for more facts here, but my thinking is that there is no third party.[/QUOTE

I also dont think there is a third party. First fire may have been a set up to make it look like the 2nd was an all brothers' hit.

Homes are very far apart in colts neck. There is a minimum acreage law in town to give you an idea of the landscape. You cant even see many of the homes from the streets. No main corridors. I doubt kids went to public school even tho they have good schools.
Yeah. The kids apparently weren’t at the bus stop that morning, which indicates that they may have been killed the previous evening. If so, why was KC’s body left outside in plain sight?

And how did PC manage to burn the house down, if his family was in fact with him?

There’s a lot of unanswered questions here.

Colts Neck fire: New twists in bizarre Caneiro family murder mystery

Paul Caneiro's attorney, Robert A. Honecker, said his client "maintains his innocence" of the arson charge "and any other potential charges."

“The charge appears not to make any sense in that there seems to be very little evidence of a reason to do it,’’ Honecker said. “The evidence that I’ve seen does not suggest any reason to do the arson of his house."

He called any link between Paul Caneiro and the murder of his brother and his family "pure speculation."

The prosecutor said investigators are also "still exploring'' whether there were financial problems within the family. He said it is his understanding that Keith and Paul were business partners.

Homes are very far apart in colts neck. There is a minimum acreage law in town to give you an idea of the landscape. You cant even see many of the homes from the streets. No main corridors. I doubt kids went to public school even tho they have good schools.

Colts Neck fire shakes town: 'It's so scary ... This doesn't happen here'

Volshteyn’s daughter went to school with the Caneiros' children and was a grade younger than the Caneiros' daughter, who was about 8. They celebrated birthdays together and trick-or-treated each others’ homes, she said.

But on Tuesday morning, the Caneiros’ children were not waiting for the school bus, according to Volshteyn.

This is so bizarre. If PC did this, why were the wife and kids killed in such a personal way (stabbing) while KC was seemingly executed by shooting coldly and from a distance. If PC had a gun, why not just shoot all of them. Why risk the potential DNA transfer from an up close and personal killing like stabbing?

This would only make sense if the wife and children were killed first, then maybe KC walks in on it and sees perpetrator, runs out the front door and perp shoots him. But why would wife and kids have been the targets? This just seems illogical. Yet, prosecutors say no killer is on the loose so it must be PC....

This is so bizarre. If PC did this, why were the wife and kids killed in such a personal way (stabbing) while KC was seemingly executed by shooting coldly and from a distance. If PC had a gun, why not just shoot all of them. Why risk the potential DNA transfer from an up close and personal killing like stabbing?

This would only make sense if the wife and children were killed first, then maybe KC walks in on it and sees perpetrator, runs out the front door and perp shoots him. But why would wife and kids have been the targets? This just seems illogical. Yet, prosecutors say no killer is on the loose so it must be PC....

It's probably all about the money. If the brother dies, his estate goes to his wife/family. If the brother's family dies, then the estate probably does to the surviving brother.

I've been following this awful case too. My question is the same. The killer obviously had a gun...so why stab the wife and children? Not only that but stabbing might have caused a struggle, may not have been fast, and so personal and vicious.......three people, one after the other? And then shoot Keith in his back and his head? Was Keith trying to escape...did he walk in on the massacre? The stabbing really throws me.....especially of children....IF Paul did this....his own little niece and nephew? omg

My other question.....where was Susan? She left their own house with Paul after the burning of their own house evidently. Was she present when the brother Keith's house was burned? And their kids?

Right but why not just shoot them? Why stab them?

I'm going to guess he shot his brother from behind in the yard, and then went in and stabbed the others while they were in bed sleeping. DNA's not going to matter; he can say, "Of course there's DNA all over the house, I've been there hundreds of times over the years."

Possibly he didn't want all the noise from lots of shots. People in rural areas are used to one or two shots, but a whole bunch would attract attention.

I'd also guess that he probably left the fire burning, then went home and started the fire at his house. I don't know whether it just kept smouldering and it's coincidence it was noticed about when he left his neighbor's, or if he went back to check.

I am thinking, Dad was not home yet. So, cannot make noise and shoot the family.
When Dad got home, he realized something was wrong, and tried to escape.
So, murderer could not get close enough to dad to stab him, and had to resort to plan b. Shoot him.
This is going to be another horrific tale.
I do think that the murderer is in jail. AKA Brother Dear.
People can be SO sick and twisted.
It will all come out in the wash. Imo

Thanks Bear10, that’s exactly the point I was trying to make. Why not shoot them all? Stabbing is such an angry, personal way to kill. If it’s just about money, I’d go for the cool, collected detached method of shooting.

Right but why not just shoot them? Why stab them?

Maybe they were killed one at a time, and a knife doesn't draw attention. Perhaps brother found outside was the final victim, and he was probably running when he was shot. If he hadn't been running, maybe he too would have been stabbed.

That is, maybe the gun was plan B in case the knife wasn't an option.

If KC was not home yet, you'd think a killer familiar to the family would have realized that. Car missing? KC not in bed sleeping like the others (if they were sleeping)? There's no telling if he'd walk in, and sense something wrong that the killer could have been attacked or shot by the dad. I don't think PC appears to be the brightest bulb.
Where was Paul's vehicle? Dad may have seen it and wondered wth?

I'm going to guess he shot his brother from behind in the yard, and then went in and stabbed the others while they were in bed sleeping. DNA's not going to matter; he can say, "Of course there's DNA all over the house, I've been there hundreds of times over the years."

Possibly he didn't want all the noise from lots of shots. People in rural areas are used to one or two shots, but a whole bunch would attract attention.

I'd also guess that he probably left the fire burning, then went home and started the fire at his house. I don't know whether it just kept smouldering and it's coincidence it was noticed about when he left his neighbor's, or if he went back to check.

Colts neck isn’t “rural”. It’s suburban, just the houses are far apart. Gunshots are not common in the area. JME

Interesting. I read that the 5AM fire really only burned in the attic. If he started a fire and left, and the fire was slow burning, maybe it started in the attic, went through the walls, and then burst into an inferno at 12:30PM.

Cabin fires work like that - fire place leaks to the insulation, that spreads through the walls over several hours, combustion and spontaneous fire throughout the cabin.

Maybe they were killed one at a time, and a knife doesn't draw attention. Perhaps brother found outside was the final victim, and he was probably running when he was shot. If he hadn't been running, maybe he too would have been stabbed.

That is, maybe the gun was plan B in case the knife wasn't an option.

Stabbing just seems really personal imo. I would think it takes a lot of gall to stab your SIL and nieces/nephews (idk if the minors are male or female).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back