Date of Last Contact
May 27, 2018
NamUs Case Created
July 30, 2018
Last Known Location Map

County
New London County

Circumstances of Disappearance
Sofia Mckenna disappeared off the coast of Connecticut, near Avery Point, with her friend, Spencer Mugford, in the early morning hours. It was at first believed they were on either a kayak or paddleboard. It was later determined by the Coast Guard that they were on a 14' sail boat, without a mast.

Missing Person / NamUs #MP51475
Sofia Michelle McKenna, Female, White / Caucasian

Missing Person Case

Original
Original

Missing Age
21 Years
Current Age
22 Years
First Name
Sofia
Middle Name
Michelle
Last Name
McKenna

Nickname/Alias
Fia, FeeFee, Soff

Sex
Female
Race / Ethnicity
White / Caucasian
Height
5' 9" (69 Inches)
Weight
130 lbs
Circumstances

Date of Last Contact
May 27, 2018
NamUs Case Created
July 30, 2018
Last Known Location Map

County
New London County

Circumstances of Disappearance
Sofia Mckenna disappeared off the coast of Connecticut, near Avery Point, with her friend, Spencer Mugford, in the early morning hours. It was at first believed they were on either a kayak or paddleboard. It was later determined by the Coast Guard that they were on a 14' sail boat, without a mast.

The sailboat came equipped with a mast, but it was mastless when found. I remember this one well. Apparently, in the early morning hours, she tried to call her Mom several times around 2 a.m. but it went to voicemail. There was no call to 911. Family missing boater still hoping to find her Her friend's body was found some days later. Body of missing boater recovered in Long Island Sound

So sad, mother said she had a bunch of missed calls from her...

Mother of missing boater holds out hope
From the article:

[...]

Sofia had gone out on a sunfish sailboat from UConn's Avery Point with her friend 20-year old Spencer Mugford on Memorial Day weekend. The last time they were seen alive was in Snapchat photos taken at New London Ledge Light.

"They were posted at 2am and the phone calls came in ... started coming in at 2:05, 2:06, 2:07, 2:08, 2:08, 2:08 and then 2:09," explained McKenna.

She wonders why her daughter didn't leave a message or call 911. Mugford's body was located almost two weeks after they disappeared but Sofia has never been found.

"That's what haunts me is basically she could be alive," said McKenna. "She could be."

[...]

I have been following this case since last summer. Something about it didn’t sit right and tugged at the heart strings. A new article was posted this month where it was revealed a message was posted from Sofia’s social media about a man needing money

The Disappearance of Sofia McKenna
Her cell phone was in the possession of the Groton Police Department at the time of the alleged message if you read further down in the article.

Her cell phone was in the possession of the Groton Police Department at the time of the alleged message if you read further down in the article.
I read the entire post she could’ve accessed her social media from anywhere. I follow the story closely, the page on Facebook, I even have her missing bumper sticker on my car. Something just doesn’t sit right with the story including where her friends body was found in relation to the current.

I read the entire post she could’ve accessed her social media from anywhere. I follow the story closely, the page on Facebook, I even have her missing bumper sticker on my car. Something just doesn’t sit right with the story including where her friends body was found in relation to the current.
Thanks - I'm a grandmother and sort of an electronic Luddite as far as social media. But being raised on a major coastal area, I know currents are funky, and just because her friend's body turned up, hers may not. In the last photo she took of herself in the "no trespassing" spot, IMO she looked quite inebriated. I doubt either of them would have been able to swim to shore after an upset out at sea. Prayers for closure for her mother.

Can't they figure out the location of whoever posted on Sophia's Snapchat? That sort of thing seems fairly commonplace nowadays...

Also, everything I've seen focuses mainly on Sophia. But what about Spencer? Who exactly was he? Did he have any enemies, debts, etc?

AR-190529586.jpg&Maxw=800&q=50

Group fights for answers about missing Sofia McKenna

They call themselves "Sofia's Army" and, a year after Sofia McKenna disappeared, they are not giving up the fight.

The group's members, in the local area and as far away as the United Kingdom, have joined together to keep McKenna's story at the forefront of people's minds.

McKenna, 21, and Spencer Mugford, 20, left Avery Point on a mini sailboat in the early morning of Sunday, May 27, 2018, according to state police. The Southold Police Department on Long Island, N.Y., located the 14-foot boat May 28, on Truman's Beach near Orient Point. Mugford's body was found on June 8, 2018, in Long Island Sound southeast of Avery Point, but McKenna was never found. ...

Mayze said the group knows there were Snapchat posts, including a photo of McKenna at New London Ledge Light House. But the group doesn't know why seven calls were placed from Mugford's phone to McKenna's mother between 2:05 and 2:09 a.m. on May 27, 2018, and what happened to McKenna. They said Mugford would not have known the mother's number, so they believe McKenna made those calls using his phone.

More info at link...

For anyone interested:
MEDIA COVERAGE ON SOFIA MCKENNA (Inception to Date):
May 27, 2018 WFSB News 3: VIDEO: Boyfriend, mother talk about missing paddleboarders
May 28, 2018 WFSB News 3: VIDEO: Search continues for couple off coast of Groton
May 28, 2018 WFSB News 3:
Groton search suspended despite 'hull' discovery
May 28, 2018 NECNTV Facebook:
NECN
May 29, 2018 Fox 61: Search suspended for missing boaters off Groton shoreline
May 29, 2018 WFSB News 3:
Officials believe pair used UConn sailboat before Groton disappearance
June 8, 2018 WFSB News 3:
Body recovered from Long Island Sound identified as missing Groton boater
June 8, 2018 Fox 61:
Body of missing boater recovered in Long Island Sound
June 8, 2018 The Patch:
Body Of Young Man Lost In Long Island Sound Found Friday
June 18, 2018 The Day:
Still searching: Volunteers hope to bring home boater lost off Groton
June 28, 2018 The Patch:
'Bring Sofia Home': New Search Planned For Missing Boater
July 12, 2018 The Patch:
Friends, Family Of Missing Boater Urge Everyone To Keep Searching
August 9, 2018 WTNH News 8:
Family missing boater still hoping to find her
August 19, 2018 The Patch:
Sofia's Army: Desperate Search For Missing Woman, 22, Continues
September 28, 2018 NBC Connecticut:
Family, Friends of Missing Boater Search for Answers
January 25, 2019 The Patch:
Search For Missing Groton Woman Continues Nearly 8 Months Later
March 26, 2019 The Patch:
State Police Look For Leads In Missing Groton Woman Case
March 26, 2019 WFSB News 3:
Police continue search for missing boater nearly 1 year later
March 27, 2019 The Hour:
CT boater missing for nearly a year, remains a mystery
March 27, 2019 CT Post:
CT boater missing for nearly a year, remains a mystery
March 27, 2019 WTNH News 8:
https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/new-london/mother-of-missing-boater-holds-out-hope/1881156494
March 28, 2019 NBC Connecticut:
Mom of Missing Boater Still Hopeful to Find Daughter
April 18, 2019 The Philosophy of Crime:
The Disappearance of Sofia McKenna – The Philosophy of Crime
May 10, 2019 The Patch:
Search For Missing Groton Woman Reaching A Year
May 25, 2019 The Day:
Group fights for answers about missing Sofia McKenna
May 29, 2019 The Day:
State drops charges against former boyfriend of missing Groton woman

At least a dozen bodies have been recovered from the Long Island Sound since Sofia went missing... everyone except Sofia -- no clothing, nothing! Personally, I find this very suspicious. Add to that the fact that most of these bodies that were recovered were men. Something isn't right, but I can't convince law enforcement. The frustration has been building for a year. There are too many unresolved questions.

interesting story to me, but i don't think anything in particular is too far off of anything but a death by misadventure story. i hope the family gets the closure they need. i am of course interested to know the details of how the misadventure went down.

i'm not sure what qualifies as a 14 foot mastless sailboat, but this is a very small craft on a very large body of water, navigating commercial shipping channels. it was presumably operating under some kind of power, and probably not very agile and i'm speculating, but probably poorly lit for night use.

i think we can assume that when she posted the snaps, which i read was around 2am, things must have been going fine or as expected. only a few minutes later, with the calls to her mom, something must have gone wrong. it seems like it wasn't dire enough for 911, and she was able to place calls for several minutes, but probably didn't want to leave a message to upset her mom if she thought she could get out of the mess some other way.

unless mugford's phone was in some kind of waterproof case, i would think that she was not yet in the water. perhaps they had engine trouble and the boat was adrift. now that i mention it, this has me wondering now too, if she didn't have her phone, how was she sending snaps to her mom? or were the snaps sent to someone else? hmm. looks like i need to re-read some things and get some details straight...

not sure what to make of the text or snap received 3 weeks later when her phone was supposed to be in police possession.

The boat as a "Mini-Sail." No kind of power, except oars. The Snap Chat photos were posted from her friend's phone to HIS Snap Chat account. Her phone was in her car. If you will review all of the media information previously posted here, it may give you a clearer picture of why we feel something isn't right about her disappearance. You may also want to read the Announcements on the Finding Sofia Mckenna (What Happened to Sofia?) Facebook page for more information.

Yeah, I agree that something feels off about this. Why did she call her mom over and over again, instead of the police? If she was in danger, or maybe intoxicated, maybe she wasn't thinking clearly. But I'd think after not getting through 2-3 times, she'd switch gears and try a different number.

Also, the fact that her body hasn't been found is the biggest contributor to me wondering whether or not she really drowned. Again, totally possible, but still makes me wonder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back