GUILTY - Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #5

The judge asks Millard if he has anything to say. He rises and says, "The facts of the other cases are very much in dispute," but otherwise, he does not.
by Adam Carter 12:43 PM

That's it for today. We'll be back on Dec. 18 for the decision.
by Adam Carter 12:44 PM

By this statement DM shows just how very incapable he is of understanding the impact of what he has done. He seems devoid of any insight. IMO

Last edited:
That National Post article though....

I know right? Unbelievable.

He was asked for whom people should reserve their hatred, if not someone convicted of three shocking murders.

“Well, the problem is that the hatred came first and the convictions followed,” he said. “This is how the world works, the world is just an unfair place. And I’m feeling that right now.”

The inflammatory statement is immediately challenged — he thinks he is in an unfair place? Tim Bosma getting in that truck, surely that was the unfair place.

“Getting into the truck, I don’t think was any issue,” Millard said. “But, yeah, the way that night ended was completely unfair to him. It should not have gone that way.”

Indeed it should not have.

In jailhouse interview, Dellen Millard admits for first time he had a part in Tim Bosma’s murder

By this statement DM shows just how very incapable he is of understanding the impact of what he has done. He seems devoid of any insight. IMO

I agree. He will continue to deny and appeal for as long as the courts allow him a platform to do so. Probably a very long time. Sigh.

MOO

For those who were unable to follow along today, here is Adam Carter's blog notes about the proceedings. I'll start with the Crown's arguments...

Nov 16 2018 9:26 AM Adam Carter

I’m back in court today as sentencing submissions begin for Dellen Millard for the murder of his father, Wayne.

There’s one key question here: consecutive or concurrent. A first-degree murder conviction carries an automatic 25 year sentence. But this judge must decide whether or not Millard will serve that sentence concurrently to his other two, or tack it on consecutively, effectively extending his penitentiary stay into his 90s.

There is some precedent here. The judge in the Laura Babcock case already handed down a consecutive sentence for Millard’s last murder conviction.

We're inside the courtroom now, just waiting for the judge.

Court is now underway. Justice Maureen Forestell is here.

Some housekeeping here to start off.

Crown Jill Cameron is now starting off her submissions. She says if Millard gets a another consecutive 25 years, he will be 102 before he can apply for parole. "He will have no hope of ever obtaining parole," she says. "It's about justice. Wayne Millard deserves justice."

Cameron is now reading out a victim impact statement from Janet Campbell, who was in a relationship with Wayne Millard before he died. "I was his first love and he was mine," she says, adding they were engaged as young adults. "He was looking forward to the future, as was I."

"The last six years has been an entirety. Wayne's death never goes away," she says. Campbell writes she is depressed, has trouble sleeping, and cries out in her sleep. "I'm a widow, on my own. My hopes for the future were stolen, as were Wayne's. I didn't feel old before this, but now I feel old and tired."

Cameron says the judge needs to consider the two previous murders (Bosma and Babcock) and how they impacted "those left behind."

Cameron now running through the Babcock murder, calling it "planned and deliberate."

Cameron is now running through a synopsis of the Bosma case, and how he died, shortly after putting his young daughter to bed.

As this is going on, photos of Bosma, Babcock and Wayne Millard are being shown in screens in the courtroom.

Cameron says no sentence can truly compensate family and friends of a victim for their loss.

Cameron is now reading from the victim impact statement from the Babcock family submitted for that trial. "Our lives are overwhelmed with sadness," it reads.

Cameron says while Wayne Millard was working hard to create a legacy for his son in the form of this new aviation business, Dellen was plotting to kill his father.

Cameron running through the evidence of this latest trial, and how Wayne Millard was shot in the eye. "There was to be no mistake," she says.

She also says Dellen Millard had an "advantaged upbringing."

Cameron says Millard was "wanting for nothing, having been given everything" and was still plotting to kill his father. "Not an ounce of remorse or a shred of gratitude crept into his mind," she says.

"In killing someone, the offender robs them of everything," Cameron says.

"Wayne Millard was a loving father," she says, again pointing to the legacy he was trying to build for his son. "He was a quiet man, and a kind man."

"Any hope for his future was callously snuffed out by an ungrateful and selfish son," Cameron says.

Cameron is now making her case for consecutive sentences here.

As Cameron said Millard was "ungrateful and selfish," he shook his head in the prisoner's box and looked to the ceiling.

Cameron is now going through case law from previous cases to push for a consecutive sentence.

Cameron is continuing to go through case law here.

As Cameron is going through these previous cases, Millard is just looking at her. He's sitting in a white shirt and jeans, and has a bit of a scruffy beard on his face. The trademark braid behind his right ear remains. He's also wearing a leather pouch around his neck.

The last decision Cameron is going through here is the Babcock case. This one is obviously key here, as it was a case where Millard was already sentenced consecutively.

Cameron now quoting from Justice Code's sentencing decision in the Babcock case, in which he said: "Mr. Millard unsuccessfully tried to prove there was a good side to his personality." Code also called him "amoral and dangerous."

Cameron says Millard has "devastated three families" and a message needs to be sent to "other likeminded criminals" that they will be held accountable.

"There is very little positive in my submission one can say about Dellen Millard," Cameron says.

"There are times for mercy, there are times an offender has perhaps had a difficult upbringing ... but that is not the case here. There is no explanation for his crimes other than pure entitlement, depravity and evil," Cameron says. At this, Millard silently scoffs in the prisoner's box.

"This was not an absentee or abusive father," Cameron says.

"Wayne Millard loved and trusted Dellen," she says. "It was under this blanket of trust that he was able to murder his own father when he slept," Cameron says. She also says Millard had an "insatiable appetite to kill people."

"It begs the question, is there anyone he wouldn't kill?" Cameron says. "This is the most morally repugnant crime, times three."

Cameron says a concurrent term here would "wholly devalue" the life of Wayne Millard.

"Justice for Wayne Millard demands a separate penalty for his murder," Cameron says. "Otherwise, Mr. Millard may as well have gotten away with it."

That's it from Cameron. Now Millard's lawyer, Ravin Pillay, is up.

The defence arguments...

Nov 16 2018 11:11 AM Adam Carter

Pillay says if the court hands down another consecutive sentence, Millard won't be eligible for parole until 2088, when he will be 102. "He will die before then."

Pillay says the sentence here should not be consecutive. "It is extraordinarily harsh and excessive," he says.

Pillay now running through Millard's background, saying he had an "unremarkable childhood" and didn't cause any issues for his parents, who divorced when he was 11.

Pillay says that aside from the other two murder convictions, Millard has no criminal record.

Pillay says he filed a number of letters from people who have known Millard and "continue to associate with him" -- in jail.

Pillay says most of Millard's friends from before these cases don't speak with him anymore. "Almost everyone has distanced themselves from him due to the notoriety of the cases," he says. For the first three years of his imprisonment, Millard was in segregation in Hamilton. Now he is in general population at the Toronto East Detention Centre.

Pillay also says Millard has been a model inmate.

Pillay says Millard has no misconducts on his file, even in what can be a "hostile environment".

Pillay says Millard has "used his intelligence" while incarcerated to help others.

Pillay is now moving to the Bosma and Babcock cases, and what the judge should consider from those in making her decision.

Pillay says it "would be an error to reach into the facts" of those two previous cases, "Mr. Millard has already been punished for those two offences."

"There is no evidence presented here that Mr. Millard is incapable of rehabilitation," Pillay says.

Pillay is now going through case law that he's presenting in relation to the case.

Pillay says considering the age of the offender is critical here.

One of the cases Pillay is talking about here is the Justin Bourque shooting spree in New Brunswick: Justin Bourque has been sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 75 years for killing three RCMP officers and wounding two others, a New Brunswick judge has ruled.

This is an example of what Pillay is calling a "whole life sentence." He is attempting to hold up this case as an example that is worse than Millard's crimes, where a whole community was "terrorized."

Pillay is also pointing to cases where children were killed. Essentially, he is trying to say that Millard's crimes weren't as deplorable by comparison, and therefore a consecutive sentence shouldn't be considered.

Pillay is still running through the case law attached to his argument. As this is very dense and full of legalese, I'll pick things up again when he concludes this portion.

Pillay says that a "whole life sentence" should very rarely be given out. That's basically what Millard is staring down, here.

Pillay says "general deterrence after lengthy periods in custody no longer holds currency." Essentially, he is inferring it becomes like a "piling on effect" and doesn't actually deter others from committing other crimes.

Denunciation is "exhausted after a very lengthy amount of time," Pillay says.

Pillay says the parole board would be in a better position to judge whether or not Millard would be a danger in 2063, instead of essentially letting him "die in jail."

Pillay is now finished. The Crown has a "brief reply," Cameron says.

The Crown's reply to the defence arguments and the judges comments...

Nov 16 2018 12:35 PM Adam Carter

Cameron is saying that the judge should consider the facts that are not in dispute from the other cases -- ie, they were "planned and deliberate murders."

Cameron is now going through some of the case law that Pillay presented.

Forestell says she will "need some time to think about this."

She says she will deliver her decision on Dec. 18.

The judge asks Millard if he has anything to say. He rises and says, "The facts of the other cases are very much in dispute," but otherwise, he does not.

That's it for today. We'll be back on Dec. 18 for the decision.

Between the interview with the NP and the comments he made to the judge today, I don't think there is any risk of him being granted parole even if he isn't given another consecutive sentence here, which I think he will be after making those comments to the judge. He will never show any remorse or take any blame for any of the three murders and parole boards don't take too kindly to delusional narcissists in denial.

MOO

Between the interview with the NP and the comments he made to the judge today, I don't think there is any risk of him being granted parole even if he isn't given another consecutive sentence here, which I think he will be after making those comments to the judge. He will never show any remorse or take any blame for any of the three murders and parole boards don't take too kindly to delusional narcissists in denial.

MOO
RP must have rolled his eyes when he read the NP article. MOO

"Pillay says that aside from the other two murder convictions, Millard has no criminal record."
Yes... unlike the petty criminal with a mile-long rapsheet who is perhaps much lower-functioning intelligence-wise, DM had/has the smarts to deceive, connive, lie and coerce, and the money to spend tens of thousands of dollars in covering up his crimes to evade detection. Good point Pillay, DM seems to be of a mind which society would do well to be protected from, via life-long imprisonment, moreso than the dumb-@$$ who gets caught every time he does something wrong.

""There is no evidence presented here that Mr. Millard is incapable of rehabilitation," Pillay says."
But yet there is no acknowledgement from 'Mr. Millard' of anything being wrong with him, or what he has done, so if one has done nothing wrong, how can one expect to be rehabilitated? Rehabilitated for what exactly?? Rehabilitated intellectually, so that next time, he will know better how to hide his tracks?

"For the first three years of his imprisonment, Millard was in segregation in Hamilton. Now he is in general population at the Toronto East Detention Centre. ... Pillay says Millard has "used his intelligence" while incarcerated to help others."
If he is accepted by the general prison population as some kind of mentor for helping them figure out how to do it better next time or whatever he is 'helping them' with, perhaps he has found his niche in life and his method for enduring the next 75 years.

"For the first three years of his imprisonment, Millard was in segregation in Hamilton. Now he is in general population at the Toronto East Detention Centre. ... Pillay says Millard has "used his intelligence" while incarcerated to help others."
If he is accepted by the general prison population as some kind of mentor for helping them figure out how to do it better next time or whatever he is 'helping them' with, perhaps he has found his niche in life and his method for enduring the next 75 years.

I wonder how well he'll do when he finally ends up in a federal prison instead of these "easier" jails and detention centers. I guess the judge just gave him some more time to avoid prison by stretching this out for another month. :confused:

MOO

Forestell must have expected something ridiculous to drop out of DM's mouth, because she didn't choke for air when he made the statement, "The facts of the other cases are very much in dispute." That's not even close to being an appropriate comment to the judge at the end of the million dollar trial.

It will be interesting if she makes any remarks about DM's comment, or if she saves her breath.

I wonder how well he'll do when he finally ends up in a federal prison instead of these "easier" jails and detention centers. I guess the judge just gave him some more time to avoid prison by stretching this out for another month. :confused:

MOO
I was wondering same thing actually... I have no idea about how things *are* at that Toronto East Detention Centre, in relation to max security prisons... although I read it is a max security 'remand facility'. I'm not sure that he's spending time with any hardcore murderer/lifers? I guess they put him there until his trial for WM's murder was completed? Here is an article written about the facility 1 3/4 yrs ago: Inside the Toronto South Detention Centre, Toronto's $1-billion hellhole

I was wondering same thing actually... I have no idea about how things *are* at that Toronto East Detention Centre, in relation to max security prisons... although I read it is a max security 'remand facility'. I'm not sure that he's spending time with any hardcore murderer/lifers? I guess they put him there until his trial for WM's murder was completed? Here is an article written about the facility 1 3/4 yrs ago: Inside the Toronto South Detention Centre, Toronto's $1-billion hellhole

That is actually the Toronto South Detention Centre in that article. I believe he was there for a couple of days during some preliminaries for the LB trial when he was transferred from Barton St to attend the hearings in Toronto. It appears he was moved from Barton to Toronto East when the TB trial ended and he still had 2 more Toronto trials to go. Not that Toronto East hasn't had its issues as well.

Inmates, guards agree prison violence symptom of system-wide crisis | The Star

That is actually the Toronto South Detention Centre in that article. I believe he was there for a couple of days during some preliminaries for the LB trial when he was transferred from Barton St to attend the hearings in Toronto. It appears he was moved from Barton to Toronto East when the TB trial ended and he still had 2 more Toronto trials to go. Not that Toronto East hasn't had its issues as well.

Inmates, guards agree prison violence symptom of system-wide crisis | The Star
Ah yes, was searching for info on Toronto East and got that, and didn't even notice it was for Toronto South.. in any case, still not sure how these Toronto facilities compare to the max security institutions where lifers tend to spend their lives.

Ah yes, was searching for info on Toronto East and got that, and didn't even notice it was for Toronto South.. in any case, still not sure how these Toronto facilities compare to the max security institutions where lifers tend to spend their lives.
In any event, the conditions and treatment sound deplorable. IMO.

In any event, the conditions and treatment sound deplorable. IMO.

Toronto South was intended to be a new and improved detention centre concept, and ended up being a total disaster (in its earlier days, in any case).

I know someone who is now with Corrections Canada. When they were initially feeling things out, Toronto South had the fastest path to being FT permanent. I explained to them why that was... :confused:

Last edited:

(Per my post above - ) I know someone who works as a CO with a federal max security institution. The general consensus is that inmates are much more comfortable in the long-term max security institutions than they are in the shorter-term remand centres. They're able to wear their own clothes, to "decorate" their cells, may have a tv in their cells, etc..

I recall from attending court one day, DM asking Justice Code if he (DM, of course) could be returned to the penitentiary at one point, when there would be a break between court dates.

DM considered the conditions at his long-term pen to be far better than at the remand facility.

(Per my post above - ) I know someone who works as a CO with a federal max security institution. The general consensus is that inmates are much more comfortable in the long-term max security institutions than they are in the shorter-term remand centres. They're able to wear their own clothes, to "decorate" their cells, may have a tv in their cells, etc..

I recall from attending court one day, DM asking Justice Code if he (DM, of course) could be returned to the penitentiary at one point, when there would be a break between court dates.

DM considered the conditions at his long-term pen to be far better than at the remand facility.

Plus in long-term pens inmates can be assigned to jobs, take courses, become involved in sports teams or creative events and participate in social functions in their penned communities.

Because it’s only recently that any inmate was convicted for more than “life” which was max 25 years (all sentences ran concurrently by law) our Canadian prisons are geared toward rehabilitation, not punishment like in the US. Our prisons operate much like a mini-community, supposedly to make it easier for inmates to transition to becoming law abiding citizens when they’re eventually released. I’m definitely not saying I agree, it’s just the way it is.

For the half-dozen or so convicts including DM who have recently received 50 years or more sentences, is anything different other than they live in their comfy penned-in community for their entire life??? It’s not ever been stated by Canadian Correctional Services that I’ve noticed.

Another thing that is somewhat unsettling, the legality of consecutive death sentencing has not yet been tested by the Suoreme Court of Canada. I noticed even DM’s lawyer suggesting 25+ years was undue punishment because it didn’t take rehabilitation into consideration. Of note, this is the same set of Judges that ruled all criminal cases must be concluded within 30 months, allowing hundreds of criminal charges to get dismissed. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back