OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#37

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, weren't the grows in the old yellow Rhoden home, the green outbuilding with the white entrance door, and dug up underneath KR's shed? Again, IIRC.
Also, CR1 was expecting the pick up their product that morning? This was why he and Gary, to then be joined by KR were staying in CR's old trailer/office?
That is all rumor.

Good question - why haven't Reader, Junk and DeWine cleared up the muddled mess about "major" grow ops on the Rhoden properties? Why no photos?

Shall I also assume you believe they all deserved to die because they had 200 pot plants on their farm? Or are we just supposed to condemn and trash their memory? TIA for clearing that up.

JMO, Reader, DeWine and Junk do owe some apologies to surviving family members and others for all the aspersions cast during the investigation.

Governor DeWine said the main motivation for the murders was a custody issue and that might be the closest thing to an apology as he's ever willing to make. But, I agree with you. Apologies would be nice because they did pursue the pot angle, it seems, when Mr. Manley handed them the correct answer on day one. I think maybe Sheriff Reader has said some things to the Rhodens though. He went to speak to them personally on the day of the arrests. He must have said something along those lines (?) I hope so anyway. And he was the one who asked for tips and told people nothing would happen to them about any drugs involved. It was a murder investigation, he said... not a drug investigation.
Sure, growing pot is against the law but you can't arrest people who have been murdered. (I'd rather see the tobacco company growers all go to jail than a pot grower but that's just how I feel.,, it kills people every day of every week, all year long, every year and it's heavily taxed so it gets a "pass." Okay, that's the law... the "right people" are growing it.)
It was a fair and logical guess that the pot might somehow be involved, too. I'm glad LE didn't get permanently locked into that theory though.
And, Governor DeWine or not... in comparison to the cartels and some other large or mid-range, whatever, growers, I still consider the amount of pot grown on the Rhoden's properties, small apples. (It has nothing to do with trying to make them into saints or being "very close to the cross.") "Commercial grow" sounds so serious and official but it simply means selling the pot you grow. There are so many things that people can do that are so much worse than that, imo.

I think that trailer was used as a hang out and for trimming when the time came. Increase in security perhaps when the trimming was done and before product was moved (sold). Wasn't there a time when people were confronted by a lot of people banishing weapons in front of that property?

Yes, a couple weeks prior to the murders. The boys said the were just out "joy riding" but I'm not so sure about that.

I know you didn't accuse them of that. I was being humorously sarcastic.

I don't see Rhodens as bad people because they had a grow op before it was legal. It should have been legalized decades ago. They should be viewed no less favorably than the current "investors" who have permits to grow now, most good friends of politicians and palm-greasers to boot. Many of them worked for the governor and other state officials until it came time to file for permit. So, JMO, to say the Rhodens were worse than those people is wrong.
And to that I disagree. I respect people who follow the law of the land. I respect people who invest in legal businesses. They bring needed jobs and money into communities. I myself have invested in a corporation that has a legal grow operation. There are reasons for the various hoops one must jump to satisfy regulations, most serious, the one of safety. Sure, go ahead if you want and puff puff puff on cannabis that has mold spores. It's great for your lungs! About as healthy as the big mac and fries that so many chow down on with their large soda as they are injecting themselves with insulin. And with that, good night folks.

Norm, I don't know about cockfighting..there was never mention of dog fights that I recall..but growing weed does not necessarily put a person around unsavory people. Meth, heroin, cocaine maybe yes, but not weed.
The dog fighting was brought up at news conference at day of arrest. Dewine was asked to clear up Rhodan's and Manly's reputation. He said paraphrasing here, they released what they saw at the time.

Governor DeWine said the main motivation for the murders was a custody issue and that might be the closest thing to an apology as he's ever willing to make. But, I agree with you. Apologies would be nice because they did pursue the pot angle, it seems, when Mr. Manley handed them the correct answer on day one. I think maybe Sheriff Reader has said some things to the Rhodens though. He went to speak to them personally on the day of the arrests. He must have said something along those lines (?) I hope so anyway. And he was the one who asked for tips and told people nothing would happen to them about any drugs involved. It was a murder investigation, he said... not a drug investigation.
Sure, growing pot is against the law but you can't arrest people who have been murdered. (I'd rather see the tobacco company growers all go to jail than a pot grower but that's just how I feel.,, it kills people every day of every week, all year long, every year and it's heavily taxed so it gets a "pass." Okay, that's the law... the "right people" are growing it.)
It was a fair and logical guess that the pot might somehow be involved, too. I'm glad LE didn't get permanently locked into that theory though.
And, Governor DeWine or not... in comparison to the cartels and some other large or mid-range, whatever, growers, I still consider the amount of pot grown on the Rhoden's properties, small apples. (It has nothing to do with trying to make them into saints or being "very close to the cross.") "Commercial grow" sounds so serious and official but it simply means selling the pot you grow. There are so many things that people can do that are so much worse than that, imo.

Confiscating James Manley's truck the day of the murders, waking them up at 3:30 am and dragging them to the police station for questioning, poly exams and DNA testing (which they all voluntarily gave) were not the PCSO or BCI's finest hour. When they tried to entrap JM over 1 year after the murders just a few weeks after LE let Jake Wagner take S and move to Alaska, it looked like the wheels had fallen off the investigation. Making the poor guy miss work, pay legal fees, etc. while the Wags were settling inup on the Kenai Peninsula. Why didn't they try to entrap the Wags before they left Ohio.

Oh, and the small reward fund that they tried to hide for 8 weeks. I hope that is also explained.

There are some apologies due.

And to that I disagree. I respect people who follow the law of the land. I respect people who invest in legal businesses. They bring needed jobs and money into communities. I myself have invested in a corporation that has a legal grow operation. There are reasons for the various hoops one must jump to satisfy regulations, most serious, the one of safety. Sure, go ahead if you want and puff puff puff on cannabis that has mold spores. It's great for your lungs! About as healthy as the big mac and fries that so many chow down on with their large soda as they are injecting themselves with insulin. And with that, good night folks.

That's ok. We disagree. No, I don't smoke cannabis, nor do I drink or do drugs. I'm more someone who opposes the criminalization poverty.

The plants have to be well established if they're being transferred to the outdoors. They don't go out until the weather is warm and stabilized.

Yes, and the assumption made on older threads was, that if there were a large number of plants inside the trailer, at some point they would need to be transferred outside. For living space of the people and also, apparently the scent of the plants becomes quite strong and would be detectable if anyone came close to the trailer.

I do see some of the problems the prosecution will have IF this goes to trial. Beyond a reasonable doubt. It only takes one. No I do not think weed is bad, but in states its illegal(like mine) getting it means dealing with people I rather not be around. That's why I go to Colorado.

Last edited:
Norm, I don't know about cockfighting..there was never mention of dog fights that I recall..but growing weed does not necessarily put a person around unsavory people. Meth, heroin, cocaine maybe yes, but not weed.

Frankie raised roosters that can be used in cockfighting and they were also very beautiful birds. They were out in shelters where people stopping by could see them so... if he was raising them and fighting them, why would he keep them out where people could see them? People found that he was quite open about photos and letting people know they were for sale on his Facebook pages. They were not a big secret. There was never any proof given that he participated in cockfighting afaik. He also raised coon hounds. As far as I know, they are not used in dog fighting.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, it does a lot of times. Most all weed dealers, even if selling ONLY weed, have customers that don't purchase, or partake in, ONLY weed. Those business folks come across that dealer's threshold and into their domicile. Look at the connections that GR had... for example (not to mention his mother and step-father). That's GR, the man whose ex-sil said; "Hurting GR was like kickin' a dog." In other words, GR was a good fella. Why would anyone hurt him?

Different location for grows- In the vegetative state you use a longer light cycle than when flowering. In my opinion they had an area for vegetative growth, another for flowering, and a third location for the cloning and the mother plants (which they clone from), The mothers never had lights changed to make them flower, strictly used for getting clones. That way there is no "down time"while growing. The flowering plants are harvested and then the next batch would be large enough to switch to flowering and new clones would be taken from the mothers. JMO

I keep getting more amazed at what little I know about growing pot and about how much everyone else knows...

The seedlings or baby/small plants came from the seasonal timing of growing pot. People who know a lot more than me about growing pot know when it is planted and when it transferred to an outdoor area... discussed at great length in older threads and more recently, as well. I have no idea why DeWine, Reader or Junk used the wording they did on the day of the arrests. I don't think anyone could know.
I was talking about how it went from 200 plants to just personal use, just seedlings etc, recently in thread.

Frankie raised roosters that can be used in cockfighting and they were also very beautiful birds. They were out in shelters where people stopping by could see them so... if he was raising them and fighting them, why would he keep them out where people could see them? People found that he was quite open about photos and letting people know they were for sale on his Facebook pages. They were not a big secret. There was never any proof given that he participated in cockfighting afaik. He also raised coon hounds. As far as I know, they are not used in dog fighting.

Because that's how they are raised. We have breeders of those birds all over the place throughout these hills. If you don't separate the males and/or tether them, they will naturally fight each other. They just can't slash each other to shreds b/c they don't have spurs on their feet (knives).

IIRC, weren't the grows in the old yellow Rhoden home, the green outbuilding with the white entrance door, and dug up underneath KR's shed? Again, IIRC.
Also, CR1 was expecting the pick up their product that morning? This was why he and Gary, to then be joined by KR were staying in CR's old trailer/office?

Never saw any of this anywhere, myself, maybe someone else did...

There was a huge grow operation under a body shop with bank vault doors to get in.
Adams County shuts down massive pot "grow"

I keep getting more amazed at what little I know about growing pot and about how much everyone else knows...

I'm with you. All I've learned about pot growing I've learned here and I haven't smoked the stuff in about 35 or 40 years. But, to be honest about it, I had start skimming by in some of the old threads. This subject of pot was hashed over and sorted through until... well, just a long time.

Never saw any of this anywhere, myself, maybe someone else did...

There was a huge grow operation under a body shop with bank vault doors to get in.
Adams County shuts down massive pot "grow"
The Eury’s. I’m sorry but this makes me giggle every time. Not because they had an underground vault, but because they refused to give LE the combination to open the vault, so LE politely used a piece of heavy equipment and busted through the wall. I don’t know why, but it’s funny to me. The Eury’s also has more than the underground vault IIRC. One grow location was relatively close to Dana’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam