GUILTY CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, died, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #3

I agree, I don't think it's the same person. I think it's definitely possible but it just doesn't seem likely.

How long do the ballistics take? It seems like it's been awhile already.

I'm very curious as to how the fires would affect the shooter, assuming they're living in the Malibu area. What would they do with their gun/s? Leave them? Take them? Whether a transient or someone living in a house... do people take their guns in evacuations?

I agree, I don't think it's the same person. I think it's definitely possible but it just doesn't seem likely.

How long do the ballistics take? It seems like it's been awhile already.

I'm very curious as to how the fires would affect the shooter, assuming they're living in the Malibu area. What would they do with their gun/s? Leave them? Take them? Whether a transient or someone living in a house... do people take their guns in evacuations?

Oh yes. MOO

Anthony Rauda is due back in court on this Friday, 11/16. Will be interesting to see what transpires.

Malibu Creek State Park took a heavy hit in the fires: Woolsey fire destroys historic ranches, movie sets and open spaces in Santa Monica Mountains

If you were evacuating the fires on Friday, you took whatever you could grab. For many people, the priority was getting their animals to safety and at that point, they weren't allowed back in to their homes. Or the flames were just too close.

On Nov 29, Anthony Rauda was found guilty of violating the terms of his probation. He has not been charged with TB's murder yet.

Malibu Suspect Anthony Rauda Rolled Into Court Restrained To Chair, Wearing ‘Spit Hood’

Yikes, looks terrifying.
rauda2.jpg

If it turns out he's not involved in the shooting(s), I hope he gets help with his mental health.

link

So, still waiting for those ballistics results...

No charges yet for mountain man

If no additional charges are added, Rauda could be free by March. He’s already served around 60 days in Los Angeles County Men’s Central Jail and has been credited time off for good behavior.
and

The public’s interest in the man stems largely from the Beaudette case, which struck fear in residents from Malibu to the Conejo Valley and beyond who frequent the state park. There’s no indication at this point that Rauda had anything to do with the killing.

Gun sentence given to man arrested near site of camper slaying (VC Star)

Investigators also said they would conduct ballistics testing on his rifle, which they seized, to determine whether Rauda could also be tied to the shocking killing of Tristan Beaudette, an Irvine father shot dead in June while camping with his daughters at Malibu Creek, and other mysterious shooting incidents nearby that are roughly concurrent to the burglaries.

Rauda still has not officially been deemed a suspect in either crime series.

Detectives are still investigating the burglary portion of Rauda’s case, Sheriff’s Deputy Grace Medrano confirmed Thursday.

In regards to the ballistics testing, Medrano said the department hadn’t received any information that could be released.

He - and his rifle - have been in custody for over 8 weeks. That's enough time to do ballistics testing for a homicide case.

It's also interesting that they're 'still investigating' the burglaries and haven't charged him with anything, even though they have the suspect on CCTV from the office and community center break-ins. The string of burglaries - in which only food was taken - date back to 2016.

Meanwhile, the park burned in the Woolsey fire and is closed for now, although the Tapia Park (scene of the unsolved JR hammock shooting) day use areas have reopened.

On the LASD end, there's a new sheriff in town - and he's cleaning house.

Lots of upheaval - both natural and electoral - and to the family of Tristan Beaudette, the lack of progress must be very frustrating.

True enough - but don't you think that the murder of Tristan Beaudette is a high-priority case?

Most likely (though LE doesn't always prioritize cases the same way the public does) but they've probably had their hands too full of fire-related problems to have had time to look at the results if they did get them back.

And a ballistics match isn't as definitive as a DNA match. It can tell you that bullets or fragments are from the same kind of weapon but it doesn't always tell you whether it's the exact same one. So even if it came back a match, they'd have a lot of investigating to do before they could come to a definitive conclusion.

It also sounds like they're prioritizing investigation of the robberies they're pretty sure he's associated with, which makes me think they think his connection to TB is unlikely.

Most likely (though LE doesn't always prioritize cases the same way the public does) but they've probably had their hands too full of fire-related problems to have had time to look at the results if they did get them back.

The LASD Homicide Bureau is the group in charge of the Beaudette murder investigation (which included the other shooting incidents). That unit is a dedicated, centralized unit based east of downtown (El Monte or Rosemead or one of those communities). While the fires would have disrupted and hijacked much of LASD's resources - and all of the local LASD Lost Hills station's resources - I don't know that the homicide bureau would be affected by the fires.

And a ballistics match isn't as definitive as a DNA match. It can tell you that bullets or fragments are from the same kind of weapon but it doesn't always tell you whether it's the exact same one. So even if it came back a match, they'd have a lot of investigating to do before they could come to a definitive conclusion.

The public has never been told anything about the murder weapon. Rifle? Pistol? Shotgun - like the previous area shooting incidents? It's entirely possible that there's nothing at all that matches with Rauda's rifle. This could be the reason why there're no charges filed.

It also sounds like they're prioritizing investigation of the robberies they're pretty sure he's associated with, which makes me think they think his connection to TB is unlikely.

Agreed.

As someone who once tried unsuccessfully to get LASD Lost Hills to investigate an incident in which a couple hundred dollars were stolen, I have a hard time imagining LASD taking a series of food-only burglaries seriously, especially if they happened up to two years ago. In my case, they said I was welcome to fill out a police report but that they 'weren't going to do anything' (that's a quote). So when I think about LASD trying to determine whether the suspect really stole the Oreos and the half-eaten box of Cap'n Crunch in 2016, my brain just can't see it.

(I'm not bashing LASD here. I think it's a fact of practicality and resources that most major-metro LE units can't put serious time into the theft of $240 at a charity event. I appreciate that they were up front in telling us this.)

I'm not sure what the future of this investigation is. I hope the family has hired a good PI. With the park burned and closed, there's been no shooting incidents lately. Is it because Rauda is in custody or because there currently aren't any targets to shoot at? Is it because increased patrols and national media attention sent the shooter into (maybe temporary) hiding? Is it because the shooter's tendency over the years was to be active in bursts and then lie low?

We started this discussion here on WS in June. Now we're into December and the case has taken some strange turns that no one could have foreseen - a not-well-understood arrest, a new sheriff, massive fires sweeping through and shutting down the park for the near future. And meanwhile, there's still an unsolved murder and a series of unsolved shootings in Malibu.

RSBM for focus

An article from when Rauda was first arrested reports:

“The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department announced Wednesday night that 42-year-old Anthony Rauda was taken into custody in Malibu Canyon as part of the investigation into a spree of break-ins dating back to October 2016.

In every case, food was stolen. All the break-ins occurred between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m. Authorities also said Rauda was caught on camera in some of them.” (BBM) https://www.google.com/amp/s/losang...-linked-mysterious-malibu-park-shootings/amp/

Unless the part I bolded was reported in error, it makes me wonder why he hasn’t been charged in these cases.

However, later in the article, talking about Rauda’s capture, Sheriff Jim McDonnell is quoted as saying, “With the assistance of air support, detectives followed the boot prints approximately 50 yards. Shortly after that, they heard movement amongst the brush followed by observing a male adult wearing black clothing walking quickly who resembled the suspect in the burglary.”

So, perhaps they weren’t quite sure at the time if the man caught on camera and Rauda were one and the same. But more two months later, it seems like they should have it figured out by now, IMO.

One thing I find interesting is that IIRC, there have been no reports of the use of a firearm in any of the eight robberies in which Rauda is being investigated in connection to. This is in spite of the suspect being captured on surveillance video
armed with a rifle during the Oct. 4th incident. In the case that happened the night before he was taken into custody, the suspect used a rock to shatter the front glass door.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/losang...-linked-mysterious-malibu-park-shootings/amp/

At least, he will be in jail for close to a year now (“The term [180 days] will run consecutively to a separate, 160-day sentence Rauda received last month for violating the terms of his post-release community supervision, [Greg] Risling [a public information officer for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office] said,” so that should give LE additional time to look into the possible connection between him and Tristan’s murder, the series of shootings in the area for the last two years, as well as the robberies.
Gun sentence given to man arrested near site of camper slaying

Honestly, I really have no idea whether Rauda is involved in any of the crimes above. The break-ins and the shootings maybe since there have been no reports of further incidents since his arrest. But Tristan’s case, not so much. I still lean towards a targeted hit in his case, perhaps even as the result of a case of mistaken identity. As to a possible motive or suspect, again, I have no idea. I just keep thinking about his family and friends. His girls, especially.

(snipped for focus)

...With the park burned and closed, there's been no shooting incidents lately. Is it because Rauda is in custody or because there currently aren't any targets to shoot at? Is it because increased patrols and national media attention sent the shooter into (maybe temporary) hiding? Is it because the shooter's tendency over the years was to be active in bursts and then lie low?

Because the whole point of the shootings was to force the park to close?

The LASD Homicide Bureau is the group in charge of the Beaudette murder investigation (which included the other shooting incidents). That unit is a dedicated, centralized unit based east of downtown (El Monte or Rosemead or one of those communities). While the fires would have disrupted and hijacked much of LASD's resources - and all of the local LASD Lost Hills station's resources - I don't know that the homicide bureau would be affected by the fires.

The public has never been told anything about the murder weapon. Rifle? Pistol? Shotgun - like the previous area shooting incidents? It's entirely possible that there's nothing at all that matches with Rauda's rifle. This could be the reason why there're no charges filed.

Agreed.

As someone who once tried unsuccessfully to get LASD Lost Hills to investigate an incident in which a couple hundred dollars were stolen, I have a hard time imagining LASD taking a series of food-only burglaries seriously, especially if they happened up to two years ago. In my case, they said I was welcome to fill out a police report but that they 'weren't going to do anything' (that's a quote). So when I think about LASD trying to determine whether the suspect really stole the Oreos and the half-eaten box of Cap'n Crunch in 2016, my brain just can't see it.

(I'm not bashing LASD here. I think it's a fact of practicality and resources that most major-metro LE units can't put serious time into the theft of $240 at a charity event. I appreciate that they were up front in telling us this.)

I'm not sure what the future of this investigation is. I hope the family has hired a good PI. With the park burned and closed, there's been no shooting incidents lately. Is it because Rauda is in custody or because there currently aren't any targets to shoot at? Is it because increased patrols and national media attention sent the shooter into (maybe temporary) hiding? Is it because the shooter's tendency over the years was to be active in bursts and then lie low?

We started this discussion here on WS in June. Now we're into December and the case has taken some strange turns that no one could have foreseen - a not-well-understood arrest, a new sheriff, massive fires sweeping through and shutting down the park for the near future. And meanwhile, there's still an unsolved murder and a series of unsolved shootings in Malibu.

BBM.

The park was re-opened on 12-18-18. Not the campground though: Malibu Creek SP

Hi, all... I've just joined this forum. Perhaps you, like me, joined because the Malibu Creek/Malibu Canyon/Las Virgines area is of special interest to you because you live in the area and you've heard or read so much about TB's murder at MCSP and other goings on in that neighborhood.

Query: Has anyone done a timeline of events here on this forum and could you point me to it?

Thanks.
dc

Hi, all... I've just joined this forum. Perhaps you, like me, joined because the Malibu Creek/Malibu Canyon/Las Virgines area is of special interest to you because you live in the area and you've heard or read so much about TB's murder at MCSP and other goings on in that neighborhood.

Query: Has anyone done a timeline of events here on this forum and could you point me to it?

Thanks.
dc
Welcome to WS, doncasual!

Here is the timeline I have been referencing (courtesy of gitana1):

“1. 11-3-16 - The shooting of the wildlife biologist in Tapia Park in a hammock while sleeping 200 yards from Malibu Canyon Road. Shotgun blast to the face. Pellets. Hit his arm that was over his head. Fired at close range. STATE PARK JURIS.
2. 11-9-16 ?? STATE PARK. JURIS.
3. 1-7-17 - Young woman and her boyfriend sleeping in a car at the Malibu Creek Park. Heard gun shot @ 5:00 a.m. Found a slug in the car the next morning. Fired form 20 feet away. Would have hit her if it was n inch higher. Cops probe two MORE shootings at a Malibu park | Daily Mail Online STATE PARK JURIS.
4. 6-6-17 - Shooting reported in the area. I'm not sure what, when, where. SHERIFF JURIS.
5. 7-22-17 - No information I could find. Anyone? SHERIFF JURIS.
6. 7-30-17 - ?? STATE PARK JURIS.
7. 6-18-18 - Shots fired at a Tesla on Malibu canyon Road. Bullet hit car. No one injured. There were five shootings at and near a Malibu park over two years. Why didn't authorities alert the public until father was killed?SHERIFF JURIS.
8. 6-22-18 @ 4:45 a.m. TB. Malibu Creek Park. Shot while inside the tent. Shot to the head. Possible two gun shot holes to tent. STATE PARK JURIS.”
CA - Mystery Surrounds Malibu Creek State Park Shooting Death Of Tristan Beaudette, 35 #3

Also, here is a timeline of the burglaries:
  • Oct. 10, 2016, in the 26800 block of Dorothy Drive in unincorporated Calabasas.
  • Oct. 28, 2016, at a building a few miles north of Malibu Creek State Park.
  • March 8, 2017, in the 26800 block of Mulholland Highway in unincorporated Calabasas.
  • July 27, 2018, at the Agoura Hills-Calabasas Community Center in the 27000 block of Malibu Hills Road
  • Sept. 24, 2018, in the 700 block of Malibu Canyon Road in unincorporated Calabasas.
  • Sept. 30, 2018, in the 26800 block of Mulholland Highway in unincorporated Calabasas.
  • Oct. 4, 2018, at a business in the 700 block of Malibu Canyon Road. “In that case, a man dressed in army fatigues and armed with a rifle broke into a business and stole food. The burglary was captured on surveillance video.”
  • Oct. 9, 2018, the Agoura Hills-Calabasas Community Center in the 27000 block of Malibu Hills Road (second time). “The suspect used a rock to shatter the front glass door, entered the community center and stole food items from a vending machine, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department reports.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/losang...-linked-mysterious-malibu-park-shootings/amp/

The article above also reports “In every case, food was stolen. All the break-ins occurred between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m.“

For additional, helpful information, you may want to check out the first page of the thread if you haven’t done so already:
CA - Mystery Surrounds Malibu Creek State Park Shooting Death Of Tristan Beaudette, 35 #3

thank you, IMHO. And thanks also to gitana1.

A number of things/questions spring to mind.

In events involving shooting, how many different types of guns are identified and by what evidence?

A. R. had to be holing up somewhere. Where? Can you draw a circle around the locations where a long gun was used. Can we differentiate the locations where bullets were used as opposed to shotguns? I'm completely baffeled by the shooting involving the couple sleeping in their car overnight and (1) reports of a slug/bullet round being somehow captured inside part of their vehicle, and (2) photos clearly showing shotgun pellet damage to the exterior of the car.

And, for some unknown reason, the nearby mountain community of Monte Nido, north of nearby Piuma Road picques my curiosity. Who lives there. And why so far offthe grid?

Do the nearby pot farms (now exstinct, I believe) that were being cultivated in the MCSP area have any connection to the shootings? All kinds of dark scenarios come to mind.

Was TB shot in the head or the chest? Is the LACSD remaining tight-lipped on ballistics tests? They seem to have AR on ice for the next 5-6 months.

Using the info you and gitana1 have provided - and what I am pulling together on my own - I am hoping to have a comprehensive time line on paper by the end of next week.

Thanks everyone.

dc

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spartan12!!