Found Deceased NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we can see the Daily Mail Post. However we (people in NZ) are not allowed to name him on social media or in the press or display images of him. Quite surprised the Daily Mail are doing so.

Not only the DM, many UK papers did so today. As I understood it NZ law does not apply to media outside the country. Not really a surprise.

With all due respect, I disagree.

Don't do it, full stop. Don't get caught commenting on articles mentioning his name; don't get caught mentioning his name to people in emails or on messenger ... NZ law enforcement does take this very seriously and won't hesitate to prosecute. A relatively well known NZ blogger found this out the hard way.

Think about it - clearly work is going on behind the scenes to wipe the articles that did disclose his identity, as well as to remove trace of his comment from Grace's FB page.

NZ is not like America where you can find out a lot of information about people, including inmates, with a few clicks of the mouse. Our privacy laws here are very strict.

I have just checked and all the British media still have him named and shamed. There has been no gag order here.

Those of you here on Websleuths who are broadcasting his name need to delete your postings. Websleuths rules are the same as NZ - NO NAMING. It is a violation of Websleuth rules, and if it doesn't stop, you run the risk of being reprimanded and having the entire thread shut down.
ETA: correction - you can not formally delete your own post, but you have 60 min. to edit/modify it by just deleting the name.

Last edited:
Those of you here on Websleuths who are broadcasting his name need to delete your postings. Websleuths rules are the same as NZ - NO NAMING. It is a violation of Websleuth rules, and if it doesn't stop, you run the risk of being reprimanded and having the entire thread shut down.
I think it's too late for the member who mentioned his name in a post a couple of pages back to delete their post. I do hope someone has reported it? Tricia will not be happy if she receives a call from the New Zealand Police Department. :eek:

I don't believe that the name suppression is to benefit him, rather than to ensure a fair trial with an untainted jury.
I would say that eventually he will be named for the NZ public, however, in the meantime:

'The accused had a bid to keep his name secret rejected but an immediate appeal by his lawyer means he still cannot be publicly identified. Such restrictions are not uncommon in early court hearings in New Zealand.'

Round-the-world trip turned into tragedy

I think it's too late for the member who mentioned his name in a post a couple of pages back to delete their post. I do hope someone has reported it? Tricia will not be happy if she receives a call from the New Zealand Police Department. :eek:

What jurisdiction would they have this is a American site?

Once again all countries have different laws and New Zealand laws don’t apply outside of their own country.

Websleuths have their own rules about not naming names so we all must abide by them but New Zealand laws stop outside of New Zealand hence why he has been named the world over apart from New Zealand.

The biggest problem with anonymity, in my opinion, is that this man may have attacked other women who will not know to come forward. I have a feeling "lottery girl" might not be the only one he was in touch with.

That’s a good point.

It does seem like he was obsessed with dating apps and he will have not have been in contact with just the two women we know about surely.

Well you can look at it the other way and say it shows a complete lack of respect towards the victim’s family that he his name has been withheld.

The imagine that the victim's family would have been kept informed all the way along about who the arrested was, etc. Besides, the two family members present in Court would have heard his name be announced before the hearing.

This is very bad form from the UK media. When Emily Longley - a New Zealander - died at the hands of her British boyfriend and his parents helped him to cover it up, the media here didn't dare to breach any suppressions in place. The interest in that particular case was also huge at the time.

That poster can do what I did yesterday - edit your post content with a dot, and hit save, and *poof* it goes

I have stayed at the City Life Hotel. It is an average/nice hotel. I am in agreement with those who thought his employer is likely paying for him to stay as it would likely be very expensive to be living there otherwise on NZ wages. I don't believe this will have been a premeditated murder, although murder all the same, and likely a troubled young man who has major issues with women (probably stating the obvious here). I recall myself 30 years ago travelling to the US as a 17 year old on my OE and finding myself in a situation where I was fortunate to escape. This is the awful reality of being a woman traveller. It shouldn't be the case. When will things ever change??

This seems odd to me, so I am interested in your thoughts ...

1.) The woman who was corresponding with the suspect on sm for months said he asked her for a picture of her feet in heels.
2.) The only photo he has on his fb page is a pic of someone's feet in sneakers that look like ones Grace wore. Could this be a pic she sent him? I don't know how to "see" the details about when a pic was uploaded - can one of you sleuthers find out?

This seems odd to me, so I am interested in your thoughts ...

1.) The woman who was corresponding with the suspect on sm for months said he asked her for a picture of her feet in heels.
2.) The only photo he has on his fb page is a pic of someone's feet in sneakers that look like ones Grace wore. Could this be a pic she sent him? I don't know how to "see" the details about when a pic was uploaded - can one of you sleuthers find out?

June 2017

You can't edit after an hour (as far as I know)
Is it still an hour though? Things are changing all the time with this site...I can't keep up lol! I have spent a good deal of time trying to multi-quote and it's not budging so sorry for those who have responded to any of my comments and I have not replied. I'm having a great deal of issues posting here. Perhaps time to reboot or ask Santa for a new pc. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288