Found Alive WV - Four people missing at abandoned coal mine, Clear Creek, Raleigh County, 9 Dec 2018 *Arrests*

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
CLEAR CREEK, W.Va.A search began Sunday afternoon for four people feared missing in an abandoned Raleigh County coal mine.

According to the state Office of Miners’ Health Safety and Training, an ATV being used by the missing group was found near the Elk Run Coal Company’s Rock House Powellton Mine near Clear Creek Sunday morning.

The state Mine Safety Team was activated and two state mine safety workers and two from parent company Alpha Natural Resources entered the mine at around 1 p.m.

Gov. Jim Justice issued a statement Sunday evening, citing similar incidents in recent weeks:

“All West Virginians who are driving, riding ATV’s, or hiking near abandoned mines please STOP entering the abandoned mines. This is extremely irresponsible behavior that puts our first responders and mine safety crews in unsafe situations when they should be focused on ensuring safety at active mines. I cannot stress enough how dangerous these abandoned mines are and how hazardous they are to humans.”

WV MetroNews – Rescue team enters mine after 4 reporting missing

According to the mine safety office, coal has not been mined at the underground location for two years.

Search begins for 4 missing at West Virginia coal mine

Why would they go there???

Oh no, again? There was just a case last week of people entering an abandoned mine to take out copper wire to sell and going missing.

So the mine is abandoned. I don't know anything about abandoned mines, but I'm assuming this mine has been closed off and is probably not safe, which is why two of the rescue crew are mine safety workers. It might be at risk for cave-ins. rock slides and other hazards.

Hoping and praying all four missing, and their rescue crew, turn up safe and sound.

Why would they go there? Probably the same reason people explore caves or abandoned buildings.

Here's hoping for their safety.

I think they could be searching for copper to sell. Or else just exploring, looking for an adventure.

Either way, it is trespassing, and putting lives of rescuers at risk.

Search Begins for 4 Missing at West Virginia Coal Mine

A West Virginia mine rescue team is searching for four people reported missing at an underground coal mine.

The state Office of Miner's Health, Safety and Training says in a news release it began assisting the Raleigh County Sheriff's Office on Sunday. The search is at Elk Run Coal Co.'s Rock House Powellton Mine near Clear Creek.

The statement says an abandoned ATV the four were believed to be riding was found near the mine entrance.

According to Samantha Smith, with the West Virginia Division of Commerce, a team of four rescuers ( two members of Mining Health, Safety and Training and two from parent company Alpha Natural Resources) entered the mine Sunday afternoon through an alternate entrance. However, they were blocked by water and were forced to exit the mine.

Efforts are now underway to access the mine portal where the ATV was found. “Rough terrain and heavy snow prevented the rescue team from accessing ” the portal earlier.

upload_2018-12-10_19-15-14.png

UPDATE: Search continues for 4 missing at Raleigh County mine

WV MetroNews – Rescue team enters mine after 4 reporting missing

4 missing after ATV ride in West Virginia, sheriff's office says

Rescue efforts for four missing people continue at mine in Raleigh County

West Virginia National Guard joins search efforts for missing people at Raleigh Co. mine

Members of the West Virginia National Guard are assisting in efforts Monday morning to gain access to the entrance of a mine in Raleigh County where four people were reported missing, a state official said.

[...]

The West Virginia National Guard, in coordination with the West Virginia Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, is also providing a team of six soldiers and three humvees to help with search efforts. The soldiers are assigned to the 1st Squadron, 150th Cavalry Regiment out of Beckley, a news release from the Guard says.

[...]

upload_2018-12-10_19-37-50.jpeg

Old mines I have seen usually have signs up regarding trespassing, danger, and usually a gate with a lock.

Who would want to go into a dark, cold, wet, nasty place, full of bats, bugs, who knows what....?

I hope that they are safe.

Old mines I have seen usually have signs up regarding trespassing, danger, and usually a gate with a lock.

Who would want to go into a dark, cold, wet, nasty place, full of bats, bugs, who knows what....?

I hope that they are safe.

RBBM

Kids or teens wanting an adventure, possibly. Some place to hang with no adult supervision.

JMVHO.

West Virginia National Guard joins search efforts for missing people at Raleigh Co. mine

One of the four people missing in a Raleigh County mine has been found.

A spokesperson for Governor Jim Justice said that one man walked out of the Rock House Powelton Mine, in Clear Creek, and was arrested Monday evening.

We are told the man said they didn't know people had been searching for them and the three other men are inside the mine and are okay.

[...]

They didn’t know people were searching for them? Disappearing for several days is an usual occurrence? I’m guessing these are not teenagers but older adults.
Especially in this kind of weather with heavy snow and freezing temperatures. Scary!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back