Found Deceased NV - Madelyn Lingenfelter, 19, Reno, 19 Sept 2018

Lots of skepticism from local community based on comments on news articles on SM. Now, I take those with a grain of salt, obviously, but it is odd that she was found supposedly near her car and they searched that area.

Local people are already touchy as another young (not as young as she was 36 I believe) woman was found a few days ago and also not of foul play. She walked away and was known to have mental issues and drug abuse problems. She was found in a much more populated area and it took weeks to find her so people are wondering just how well our search and rescue teams work. This 2nd one was not in a remote area. . . it's very populated--I was just there recently for a doctor's appt so it just makes people question things I think. Of course, people are defending the search and rescue teams for their work (understandably) so there are 2 sides to the coin, but even I do wonder . . . they supposedly checked that area more than once near her car and that's where this poor girl ends up. It does make you wonder what happened.

Regardless, RIP and hopefully now her family can have some closure.

Extremely upsetting and bizarre. She was found near her car in a populated area. No foul play? They searched a 6 mile radius with helicopters dogs and heat. Now she is right near where her car was found. Handled horribly, and questionable.
RIP Madelyn.

They have not stated just how close:

The remains of a 19-year-old woman reported missing in late September were located Monday afternoon off Mt. Rose Highway.

An investigator from the Washoe County Medical Examiner’s Office responded and confirmed the identity of the deceased person as Madelyn Lingenfelter, the subject of a Reno Police Department missing persons investigation. Next of kin have been notified.

At this time, Madelyn’s death is not considered suspicious, according to police.

Approximately 2:30 p.m. Monday, December 10, 2018, Washoe County Sheriff’s Office dispatch received a call about possible human remains located in the forest off Mt. Rose Highway south of Sunridge Drive, according to police. That's a short distance from where her car was found days after she was reported missing. Dozens of searchers scoured the area at that time and found no sign of her.

The remains were discovered by a group of people searching for a Christmas tree. Sheriff’s Office patrol deputies and detectives responded and confirmed the remains were human.

Tuesday, volunteers with the Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue Teams, including a volunteer search and recovery dog team, assisted with a search for evidence.

I've seen comments on news sites that the location was anywhere between 10 feet to less than a mile from her car. Nothing confirmed from what I can tell and I'm not familiar with that area to know exactly how close it would be. It's puzzling . . .

Extremely upsetting and bizarre. She was found near her car in a populated area. No foul play? They searched a 6 mile radius with helicopters dogs and heat. Now she is right near where her car was found. Handled horribly, and questionable.
RIP Madelyn.

I hate to play armchair quarterback, having no experience in these fields, but I tend to agree. There was a 2nd woman missing who was found last week. It took weeks to find her from the date she was reported missing (although some question how well a search was given she had history of mental illness and drug abuse) and she was in a more populated area, not too far from where she wandered off. Authorities also ruled no foul play.
How were BOTH of these women missed for so long? IF what is being reported is accurate, the older woman was found in a field in a very populated area (I was in the area myself last week) and the area where Madelyn was searched repeatedly and if she was less than a mile from her car, it's mind boggling, especially with the dogs and heat. I don't understand . . .

We see cases many times where they were right in plain sight or 'under their noses' and obviously these 2 might be like that, but it certainly raises more questions than answers . . .

I observed this during a search for a young man a few years back. They used a helicopter, dogs and police to search a park with no luck. A group of volunteers went in one week later to look themselves and he was found within three hours -- hanging from a tree just a short distance off of the main path. So I've changed my perception about the accuracy of all of the above.

Someone please give me scenarios or enlighten me on how you rule COD a suicide on skeletal remains in less than 3 days. That's a really short investigation imo for a missing girl found less than half a mile from her car in an area previously searched. So upsetting to me.

I get that she may have hung herself. But she was 19 and petite, did she rig up the rope through the trees by herself and then position herself to drop (off)? Friends said she didn't like the outdoors. Seems unlikely ...

Last edited:
So in the case I referenced about the young man in the park, when he was found it appeared as though he was standing against a tree, rather than hanging from it. What really troubled me about that case was that dogs were brought into that park the next day and did not locate him. And he was not deep into the woods; he was located a short walk off the main path. I am so upset about this young lady being so close to where her car was parked and not being found. It also brings to mind when DC cops searched Rock Creek park for Chandra Levy with tons of police and search dogs. But it took mushroom hunters to find her? Sigh

I logged on again to give yall the news but it looks like you beat me to it. We werent told about this- we found out when we saw everyone giving their condolences to her mother on facebook. It’s a sad day

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back