GUILTY MI - Ashley Young, 32, dismembered, Kalamazoo, 29 Nov 2018 *arrests*

Charges announced against parents of man accused of mutilating body of missing woman

The parents of a man charged with dismembering the body of a missing Kalamazoo woman have had charges announced against them related to the case.

Kent County Prosecutor Chris Becker announced that charges will be brought against Barbra Chance and James Chance for accessory after the fact to a felony and perjury in an investigative subpoena.

Jared Chance, 29, their son, is charged with mutilation of a dead body and concealing a death after the body of Ashley Young, 31, was found in the basement of his home in Grand Rapids.

[...]

Wednesday, Dec. 12th:
*Arraignment Hearing for both (@ ET) – MI – Ashley Young (31) (last seen Nov. 29, 2018, Kalamazoo, found Dec. 2, 2018) - *Barbra Chance () & James Chance () (Jared’s parents) charged (12/10/18) with accessory after the fact of a felony & perjury.
*Jared James Chance (29) arrested (12/2/18), charged (12/4/18) & arraigned (12/5/18) with 1 count of mutilating, defacing, removing or carrying away a portion of a body & of discovery of body & failing to inform proper authorities. $750K Bond.

Strange - none of them are in the Kent County court site....

Wednesday, Dec. 12th:
*Arraignment Hearing for both (@ ET) – MI – Ashley Young (31) (last seen Nov. 29, 2018, Kalamazoo, found Dec. 2, 2018) - *Barbra Chance () & James Chance () (Jared’s parents) charged (12/10/18) with accessory after the fact of a felony & perjury.
*Jared James Chance (29) arrested (12/2/18), charged (12/4/18) & arraigned (12/5/18) with 1 count of mutilating, defacing, removing or carrying away a portion of a body & of discovery of body & failing to inform proper authorities. $750K Bond.
God, defacing.

Former police sergeant, wife arraigned on Grand Rapids body mutilation case

The parents of 29-year-old Jared James Chance, of Grand Rapids — who is charged with mutilation of a dead body and concealing a death — were arraigned Wednesday, Dec. 12, in Grand Rapids District Court. The pair were released from Kent County Jail late Wednesday and bond for each was set at $25,000.
[.....]
James Howard Chance, 76, and Barbara Louise Chance, 63, are each charged with one count of accessory after the fact to a felony — specifically “disinterment and mutilation of a dead body” — and one count of perjury, according to an investigative subpoena.

James Chance said he understood the charges, but added “I am not guilty,” according to WOOD TV-8.
[.....]
According to the probably cause affidavit, Jared Chance allegedly told his parents on Dec. 1 that Young was dead and that he had cut her body into pieces and hid some of them. The affidavit states that neither parent informed police.

121537_pc.jpg

@supersleuth89 - but there are no court dates on those pages....

Any links (please post) to the Kent court site?? TIA! :)

'Strange smell' leads police to bloody torso in basement; man charged
'Strange smell' leads police to bloody torso in basement; man charged

First, I thought the tenant was a female, as interviewed on the news??:
She says here she asked her boyfriend to go check out the smell in the basement.
Neighbor said she found mutilated body in her basement that led to arrest

I wonder if she overdosed and he tried to cover it up?

This seems more like an unhinged individual on meth. I've never heard of anyone dismembering and defacing someone just to cover up an overdose. It seems unorganised and frenzied and someone not in a clear and coherent state of mind (not that he is insane, just drug-addled) - the fact he tried to cover up her identity but just left her in the basement doesn't point to a lot of thought - I'm sure he has heard of DNA.

The case reminds me a lot of Jessica Leigh White, which also happened in Michigan.

Dismemberment victim's mom: 'I just want my baby'

The mother of a woman whose body was dismembered is pleading with the suspect’s parents to tell her where the rest of her daughter’s remains are.

“I just want my baby. I want her to come home. Please, I need help finding her. I need help finding her, I do. I really do. I want her home,” a Kristine Young told WOOD TV-8 Thursday evening.

WOOD TV-8 and Young conducted the interview in front of the home of the Holland home on West 20th Street owned by James and Barbara Chance because her words, she said, are for them.

[...]

Kristine Young is convinced they know more about her daughter’s death than they’re saying and where the rest of her remains are.

“Ashley no longer has a voice and I have to be her voice,” she said.

They were arraigned Wednesday, Dec. 12, in Grand Rapids District Court. The pair were released from Kent County Jail late Wednesday and bond for each was set at $25,000.

As the Chances walked out of jail Wednesday night after posting bond, James Chance said he understood the charges, but added “I am not guilty,” according to WOOD TV-8.
upload_2018-12-14_7-22-34.jpeg
Kristine Young said she doesn’t believe that. If it were true, she said, Jared Chance would have been arrested sooner.

[...]

Although the crime of “accessory after the fact” is not explicitly outlined in the Michigan Compiled Laws, the law does set out the relevant sentencing guidelines which can include incarceration for up to five years or a fine of up to $10,000. It is up to the court to decide whether it should be prison, fines, or both.

Perjury is a felony charge that can carry a punishment of up to 15 years in prison.

The affidavit also states that both parents were present at the Grand Rapids Police Department on Dec. 2 and did not tell police of Young’s death or dismemberment.

Young’s mother said she hoped the Chance family would hear her words and come forward with what they know.

[...]

upload_2018-12-14_7-22-15.jpegupload_2018-12-14_7-22-53.jpeg

Dismemberment victim's mom: 'I want my baby home'

Mutilation case suspect: 'I don't know what to do'

The man accused of dismembering the body of a Kalamazoo area woman reported missing is responding to her mother’s plea to bring her home.

Jared James Chance, 29, is charged with mutilation of a dead body and concealing the death of 31-year-old Ashley Young of Kalamazoo County’s Oshtemo Township.

In a Friday jailhouse interview with WOOD TV-8, Chance apologized to Young’s mother, Kristine Young, who on Thursday night gave a tearful interview outside the Holland home of Chance’s parents, demanding they disclose to authorities where the rest of her daughter’s remains are.

[...]

When interviewed Friday from the Kent County Jail, Jared Chance seemed anxious and conflicted in responding to Kristine Young’s message.

“I want to give her some of that peace. I really would, um, but I don’t. I don’t even. I don’t know what to do here. This situation is, I don’t know what to do, so. I don’t know what to say or do,” Jared Chance said after hearing Young’s recorded message.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back