Australia - Toyah Cordingley, 24, body found on beach, 22 October 2018 #3

I have been looking at the Indian Newspapers - have found nothing yet. Mainly looking at THE TIMES though... It's an english language newspaper. There other english papers i searched through too, to no avail. Maybe there is info i didn't see or missed? You'd think India would print something in relation to Toyah & Raj Singh... but mainly it's just cricket!

I saw an article in India Times (or whatever it's called) about it, but it was an English language article. I don't know if there's anything else out there.

I think police have said very little. They admit the fugitive is a POI. The media seem to using a strategy of reporting rumour as fact, then if police comment in correction, that's material for a further story. I think it's because it's north Queensland; they don't do this in big towns, because they would lose too much police news feed in retaliation.

sorry, say again... i don't understand?

I have been looking at the Indian Newspapers - have found nothing yet. Mainly looking at THE TIMES though... It's an english language newspaper. There other english papers i searched through too, to no avail. Maybe there is info i didn't see or missed? You'd think India would print something in relation to Toyah & Raj Singh... but mainly it's just cricket!

Exactly. Why is their nothing in the Indian news??? How bizarre. Makes you wonder whether he's even there, or if it's being kept quiet.

sorry, say again... i don't understand?
I don't count what the media may be getting from their leaker, sometimes labelled "authorities" or "a police source". This is the sort of thing police are saying officially:

But Acting Sergeant Russell Parker from Cairns Police has called for calm, saying there were "several persons of interest" and media scrutiny of Mr Singh's family was unhelpful.

"There's a danger that with this being reported that we have solved this and I can assure everyone that no, we haven't solved it, in fact we are a long, long way from the end of this investigation," he said.

. . .

Acting Sergeant Parker said the Australian Federal Police and the Indian Government were not involved in the investigation, despite media reports.

He said police are now looking into who leaked the information about Mr Singh being a person of interest.

( Several persons of interest in Toyah Cordingley murder: police )

There has been no update on myPolice since November 28; nothing about this suspect in any of them.

I don't count what the media may be getting from their leaker, sometimes labelled "authorities" or "a police source". This is the sort of thing police are saying officially:

But Acting Sergeant Russell Parker from Cairns Police has called for calm, saying there were "several persons of interest" and media scrutiny of Mr Singh's family was unhelpful.

"There's a danger that with this being reported that we have solved this and I can assure everyone that no, we haven't solved it, in fact we are a long, long way from the end of this investigation," he said.

. . .

Acting Sergeant Parker said the Australian Federal Police and the Indian Government were not involved in the investigation, despite media reports.

He said police are now looking into who leaked the information about Mr Singh being a person of interest.

( Several persons of interest in Toyah Cordingley murder: police )

There has been no update on myPolice since November 28; nothing about this suspect in any of them.
Thank you, i understand that :) what i didn't understand was this - from you previous post:

"I think it's because it's north Queensland; they don't do this in big towns, because they would lose too much police news feed in retaliation"... this is what i don't quite get

Thank you, i understand that :) what i didn't understand was this - from you previous post:

"I think it's because it's north Queensland; they don't do this in big towns, because they would lose too much police news feed in retaliation"... this is what i don't quite get
I have the impression from other cases that media are pretty co-operative about keeping some things secret until police say Go. This may be because of the media's sense of civic responsibility, but it's also because the police are an ongoing source of sensational content. Police and media need each other. But Cairns, well, there seems to be plenty of crime, but it's rarely big-story great-pics like Toyah. So their cost/benefit analysis tells the media to stuff the relationship, seize this one story.

I have the impression from other cases that media are pretty co-operative about keeping some things secret until police say Go. This may be because of the media's sense of civic responsibility, but it's also because the police are an ongoing source of sensational content. Police and media need each other. But Cairns, well, there seems to be plenty of crime, but it's rarely big-story great-pics like Toyah. So their cost/benefit analysis tells the media to stuff the relationship, seize this one story.

How does it benefit Channel 7 (for example) to do that though? What’s the direct gain for them? A scoop used to equate to papers sold or the journos name & reputation benefitting, but nowadays Channel 7 releasing that story minutes before anyone else really means nothing, doesn’t it?

But i think channel 7 is nation wide. IMO I heard some other channel was gonna bust the story so channel 7 went with it. You could be right but I hesitate to think it was cairns media only ?

But i think channel 7 is nation wide. IMO I heard some other channel was gonna bust the story so channel 7 went with it. You could be right but I hesitate to think it was cairns media only ?
I've maybe got a communication problem today. Drinks night before last, perhaps that's it. Not Cairns media, no. Cairns media might have more interest in co-operating. Locals want to hear local news. But national/international media organizations, what do they care about keeping Cairns police secrets? If a particular paper or particular journalist annoys DI Sonia Smith and the north Queensland police media unit, they might miss the offer of a few scoops over the next five years, but the "scoops" won't be on the scale of Toyah.

How does it benefit Channel 7 (for example) to do that though? What’s the direct gain for them? A scoop used to equate to papers sold or the journos name & reputation benefitting, but nowadays Channel 7 releasing that story minutes before anyone else really means nothing, doesn’t it?
I don't know. I suppose the advertisers care how many people tune in.

I've maybe got a communication problem today. Drinks night before last, perhaps that's it. Not Cairns media, no. Cairns media might have more interest in co-operating. Locals want to hear local news. But national/international media organizations, what do they care about keeping Cairns police secrets? If a particular paper or particular journalist annoys DI Sonia Smith and the north Queensland police media unit, they might miss the offer of a few scoops over the next five years, but the "scoops" won't be on the scale of Toyah.
No that's fine - i got that :) !

Reactions: JLZ

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater