OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in shallow grave, Carlisle, 7 May 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't making excuses for what she did. I was pointing out that the mother should not necessarily be blamed and I was making a statement about kids' self perception and society.

I wasn't attacking your post, I was just using the parts I bolded. Very sorry if I made it seem that way.

Appeals hearing in Carlisle dead baby case will be open to public

WARREN COUNTY —

A September hearing in the case of a Carlisle teen awaiting trial on aggravated murder charges for allegedly killing her newborn baby will be open to the public.
[.....]
The hearing on the specific elements of law will be held Sept. 11 in the 12th District Court of Appeals in Middletown. Defense attorneys requested an extension of oral arguments to 30 minutes for each side. The standard is 15 minutes per side.

Long time member here, but I don't post very often. Just came over here searching for more info. on this case. I grew up in Ohio, which is one reason this case caught my attention several months ago when this story came out. My thoughts/opinions may not mirror that of many here, but here's what my intuition is telling me:

First, I just read the article written in the Cincinnati magazine which details statements from other family members who are able to speak and are not affected by the gag order. After reading the article, I felt that my initial gut reaction to this story, is probably correct.

I am not at all condoning what this girl did. But when reading her story, I can readily relate to the struggles her parents had w/her regarding her struggles with anorexia. When I was around this girl's age, I suffered with anorexia, too. I wouldn't chew gum because of the calories and essentially existed on jello and cream of wheat. I had a loving home and parents who witnessed what I was doing, but nothing they could do prevented me from doing what I was doing, to my body. (This was during the late 70's; I don't believe the term anorexia was bandied about too much back then, but I could be wrong.). My point is that my parents tried everything to get me to eat, but I wouldn't budge. Finally, when my mother threatened to take me to our physician, etc., I started eating. And eventually, I was fine. (I am also very petite, just like this young girl.)

So I understand the frustration these parents had w/their daughter's eating disorder AND can therefore understand how they rejoiced when she finally started gaining weight. They must have been thrilled to see her in her prom dress. I've seen that photo; she does, indeed, look lovely; curvy, not at ALL 9 months pregnant and ready to give birth. Not at all.

The 'bump' that the parents now state that was noticeable is not what I would deem a full-term pregnancy bump; it's a bump on a lovely girl who seems to have a curvy, healthy figure.

The prosecutor in this case ought to be shot and hung. He's been all over social media, proclaiming this was a murder, etc., so forth. My hubby is an attorney (not a litigator), and would never dream of behaving in such an unprofessional manner. The prosecutor is trying this young girl in social media before her trial commences. I'm heartened to see the judge has finally put a gag order on this nonsense.

Bottom line, for me: I believe the girl. I do not believe she murdered her baby. Brooke stated that she didn't know she was even pregnant until toward the end of her pregnancy. She stated she was having her periods throughout her pregnancy, which will happen at times for some women (did for me as well), AND given that her body had already been ravaged by the anorexia, it's no wonder her periods were so out-of-sync.

There is nothing in this young girl's background to suggest that she was a problem child, or that she exhibited any untoward/deviant behavior. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

I hope and pray for this young girl and her family. And while I am a firm believer in forgiveness, compassion and understanding, I am definitely in favor of imprisonment and punishment for those who truly deserve it.

I don't think this situation merits the vitriol, however, that this family has had to endure, mostly by the trial beforehand in social media by this idiot prosecutor. He should know better. I cannot think of anything more unprofessional.

I don't get the feeling that this is a 'bad' family, but rather one that is caught up in a horrific nightmare.

Just my .02 though.

Last edited:
Tuesday, Sept. 11th:
*Appeals Hearing - OH - A few hours old baby girl Annabelle “Baby Jane Doe” (May 6 or 7, 2017) - Brooke 'Skylar' Richardson (18) accused/indicted on multiple felony charges including aggravated murder (special felony) involuntary manslaughter (1st degree felony), endangerment of child (3rd degree felony), tampering w/evidence (3rd degree felony), & gross abuse of corpse (5th degree felony)/allegedly killing, burning & burying her newborn baby in backyard of her Carlisle home. Free on $50K bond.
Trial was set to begin 4/16/18.
4/13/18: Defense & Pros file appeals re doctor/patient privilege.
4/16/18 Defense filed Motion to lift home arrest.

4/24/18: She will be allowed out of the house between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. each day. Authorities will continue to monitor Richardson with a GPS, random drug tests and unannounced home visits.

8/27/18 Update: Appeals hearing set for Sept. 11.

Jay Warren‏Verified account @JayWarrenWCPO 13m13 minutes ago
Should Skylar Richardson's doctors be allowed to testify at her murder trial? Her defense says, "No," because it would violate a privileged conversation between doctor and patient. Prosecutors say, "Yes," because they say it will help prove their case. Appeals hearing now. @WCPO

Jay Warren‏Verified account @JayWarrenWCPO 3m3 minutes ago
Prosecutors arguing the reporting of potential child abuse, neglect etc. is more important than the doctor and patient privilege. Richardson's doctor had concerns talked to police and the prosecution wants that testimony at trial. @WCPO

Jay Warren‏Verified account @JayWarrenWCPO 2h2 hours ago
One of Skylar Richardson's doctors was concerned enough that she might harm her fetus (say prosecutors) that he said, "If you feel like harming this child you need to say something." @WCPO

Prosecutors: "Richardson is using patient-doctor privilege as a sword to escape liability." @WCPO

Prosecutors say there was reasonable suspicion that Skylar Richardson might harm her child after she reportedly made statements to a doctor that she had no intention of having the child. @WCPO

Here's an article that just came thru my alert.

Prosecutor: Skylar Richardson's reaction to becoming pregnant was extreme and over the top

MIDDLETOWN - Brooke Skylar Richardson had no intention of having a child.

Not at 18. Not as a single mother. Not with college only a few months away.

That’s what prosecutors say the teenager told doctors when she found out she was pregnant in April last year.

Richardson's reaction to the news in the doctor's office was extreme and over the top, prosecutors said at an appeals hearing Tuesday. So much so that her doctor told her if she had thoughts about hurting the baby she needed to tell them.
[.....]
Prosecutor Brandt said Richardson is trying to wield her patient confidentiality like a sword to prevent accountability. She tries to use it when the information hurts her, the prosecutor said, but is fine discussing medical issues that paint her in a better light.

No decision was made Tuesday. The judges said they would work as expeditiously as they could, but a ruling could still take months.

MIDDLETOWN, Ohio -- According to Warren County prosecutors, Brooke Skylar Richardson told her doctor that she had no intention of having her baby. That came out Tuesday morning at an appeals hearing.

At issue: Should the doctors of Skylar Richardson be allowed to testify at her murder trial? That’s at the heart of two appeals argued today at the 12th District Court of Appeals in Middletown.

The Carlisle teen is charged with killing her newborn and then burying the remains in her parent’s backyard last summer.

In this case both the defense and prosecution are appealing a split decision handed down by the trial judge Donald Oda II.

Prosecutor: Carlisle teen told her doctor she had no intention of having her baby

Cheerleader Accused of Killing & Burying Newborn Didn't Want to be Mom, Worrying Doctor: Prosecutor

September 12, 2018

"A former Ohio high school cheerleader accused of killing and burning her newborn baby in 2017 before burying the child’s remains told her doctor she had no intention of having a baby and displayed concerning behavior, prosecutors alleged in court Tuesday, according to multiple news reports.

Brooke Skylar Richardson, now 19, is charged with aggravated murder, involuntary manslaughter, gross abuse of a corpse, tampering with evidence and child endangerment.

Attorneys were in court on Tuesday for a hearing before the 12th District Court of Appeals concerning whether Richardson’s doctors should be allowed to testify in her trial, the Journal-News reports. Her attorneys have argued such testimony would violate Richardson’s privacy rights...."

Cheerleader Accused of Killing and Burying Her Newborn Didn't Want to be a Mom: Prosecutor
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carlisle buried baby case: Defense refutes prosecution statements

Prosecutors & defense lawyers today (10/5) argued their legal challenges to an appeals court, seeking to overturn portions of a lower court’s split ruling about medical records days before the Richardson trial had been set to start. Richardson’s defense team wanted today’s oral arguments closed to the public, but judges denied that request. The trial is on hold until the appeals court rules.

Brooke Skylar Richardson’s conversations with doctors at issue in appeal to Ohio Supreme Court

WARREN COUNTY —
As promised, the defense team for a Carlisle teen accused of killing her newborn baby girl and burying it in the back yard of her parent’s house in May 2017, has filed a notice of appeal to the Ohio Supreme Court.

In October, the 12th District Court of Appeals sided with the Warren County Prosecutor’s Office concerning doctor-patient privilege in the case of Brooke Skylar Richardson, prompting defense attorney Charles H. Rittgers to say the issue would be appealed to the state’s highest court.
[.....]
That notice of appeal was filed on Friday, just a week shy of the deadline, according to court records. It is now up to the high court to decide if it has jurisdiction to take the case, after the prosecution files a response.
[.....]
The prosecution has 30 days to file a response to the notice of appeal.

Typically the supreme court takes two to four months to decide whether it will hear the case, according to Anne Yeager, Supreme Court public information manager.
[.....]
A conference with the trial court has been scheduled for next week by Warren County Common Pleas Judge Donald Oda III, but both Fornshell and Rittgers say it will likely not result in forward movement of the case due to the latest appeal.

Tuesday, Dec. 11th:
*Status Hearing (@ 10:30am ET) - OH - A few hours old baby girl Annabelle “Baby Jane Doe” (May 6 or 7, 2017, Carlisle) - *Brooke 'Skylar' Richardson (18) accused/indicted on multiple felony charges including aggravated murder (special felony) involuntary manslaughter (1st degree felony), endangerment of child (3rd degree felony), tampering w/evidence (3rd degree felony), & gross abuse of corpse (5th degree felony)/allegedly killing, burning & burying her newborn baby in backyard of her Carlisle home. Free on $50K bond.
Trial was set to begin 4/16/18 but is on hold until the 12th District Court of Appeals makes its ruling.
4/13/18: Defense & Pros file appeals re doctor/patient privilege.
4/16/18 Defense filed Motion to lift home arrest.

4/24/18: She will be allowed out of the house between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. each day. Authorities will continue to monitor Richardson with a GPS, random drug tests and unannounced home visits.
8/27/18 Update: Appeals hearing set for Sept. 11.
9/11/18 Update: According to Warren County prosecutors Richards told her doctor that she had no intention of having her baby. That came out Tuesday morning at an appeals hearing. At issue: Should the doctors of Skylar Richardson be allowed to testify at her murder trial? That’s at the heart of two appeals argued today at the 12th District Court of Appeals in Middletown. No decision made by Judge, could take months.
10/5/18 Update: Prosecutors & defense lawyers today (10/5) argued their legal challenges to an appeals court, seeking to overturn portions of a lower court’s split ruling about medical records days before the Richardson trial had been set to start. Richardson’s defense team wanted today’s oral arguments closed to the public, but judges denied that request. The trial is on hold until the appeals court rules.

10/22/18 Update: An appeals court ruled Monday an OB-GYN can testify at the trial of a teen mom accused of killing her newborn.
12/5/18 Update: Defense filed a notice of appeal to the Ohio Supreme Court re doctors testifying. Status hearing set for 12/11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebecca.ingram1214@gmail.