IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Mason City, 27 June 1995 - Anchorwoman

Status
Not open for further replies.
'48 Hours' airs previously unseen footage, updates case of missing Iowa anchor Jodi Huisentruit

[...]

"48 Hours" debuted never-before-seen footage of John Vansice, a friend of Huisentruit's who may have been the last person to see her before she vanished. Vansice, aged 20 years older than Huisentruit and believed to have had an infatuation with her, was questioned by authorities but never charged in the case.

Jim Axelrod, who hosted the show, went to Vansice's Arizona home to get a comment about the case, but Vansice gruffly declined. The show also reveals that search warrants had been sought for Vansice's vehicles' GPS activity.

Jeff Brinkley, Mason City's fourth police chief since Huisentruit's disappearance, said the search did not reveal any usable information. He would not comment on whether Vansice is still a suspect.

[...]

48 Hours was not on where I live. Instead, we had hours and hours of basketball. Very disappointing. I was really looking forward to seeing this show.

Did LE confirm he passed a polygraph? Seems i remember that info came from him. I dont recall hearing or reading that from LE.
Kinda weird replying to my own post(sort of), but here goes:
Just watched the 48 Hours show.
So yes, JV DID pass a polygraph. His obsession was creepy and seemed dangerous if only because of his jovial and unworried behavior afterward. But its well known he was jealous of other men's attentions. It seemed like he was a Jekyll n Hyde character, with his problems with alcohol and anger when he seemed like such a friendly and good natured guy; a mask, perhaps or compartmentalization, maybe an alcohol blackout, w/e,allowing him to pass a polygraph and delude himself? Idk. TDJ seemed like a REALLY good suspect but if LE completely cleared him then idk. Of course hes not going to admit to murder even tho hes incarcerated for life. It could change the dynamics of his current situation or even the prison hes in. Yet LE have NEVER said JV was completely cleared.
Even tho i read an article that claim LE are close to a "break" in the case, this show did not really bring up anything new EXCEPT the results of a polygraph and that his friend was questioned for hours because they were trying to indict him. Perhaps this info, and the warrant for the gps on his vehicles are the key to this new upcoming"break". Other theories werent even discussed, like the possible drug angle or that her friend(i forget his name) allegedly died of a suicidal gunshot wound a couple months before and she was trying to investigate his death. There were doubts n questions about it being a suicide.
I had a couple distractions watching it so im going to watch it again. But i have a feeling that doing this show NOW, and seeming to focus on JV more than Jackson or a stalker leads me to think something may be coming down the pike about him; If police found nothing in the gps search y is the warrant still sealed?
ETA
More than once the phrase "It could be someone you least expect"was used by both narrator and someone they interviewed...It makes me wonder if there is someone else LE is investigating and wind of it( but no details) have reached media, family and friends.
The statement that they are close to a break(what exactly does that mean?) yet its a slow process is quite frustrating. 23 years has been long enough.

Last edited:
Source? This author must have bad sources?

It seems as if you are familiar with the case. Thanks for sharing.
48 Hours showed the video of her car and they explained the Mitchell county plates. Jodi did not own the car and it was pending a title transfer. Odd it would take that long, since she had been driving it for a while. I would guess she had not paid for it yet. JVS thought the car was given to her as a gift, and may have been jealous about that.

Watch the new 48 Hours episode here

Jodi Huisentruit mystery: The decades-long search for the missing TV news anchor

Includes video of Vansice taped 11 days after Jodi disappeared. Notice at 15:40 in that as Vansice speaks his right hand is visible. Two things - nail on his middle finger is blackened, and thumbnail may be damaged too. Perhaps he had damaged his fingernail 11 days prior.....?!

Vansice spoke from the get-go about Jodi in past tense as if Jodi were deceased, when no one knew if she was dead or alive. It was 'she was like a daughter to me' not 'she is like a daughter to me'. When she'd been missing only 11 days!

The local DA recently got a warrant for two newer vehicles, and warrant was in relation to Huisentruit case. This would give them access to onboard chip to provide them with data as to where vehicles had been driven. (Most people don't know that their vehicle is effectively spying on them in this manner, or that LE can get access to this data). That data should reveal where the vehicles had been driven....

The Mason City, Iowa police chief is recently quoted as saying they are now 'very close' to making 'a break in the case'. That certainly sounds promising, given how close to the vest LE generally plays things. I wouldn't expect a police chief to make such a statement unless an arrest is in the works.

Police “very close” to break in Jodi Huisentruit disappearance

Last edited:
Watch the new 48 Hours episode here

Jodi Huisentruit mystery: The decades-long search for the missing TV news anchor

Includes video of Vansice taped 11 days after Jodi disappeared. Notice at 15:40 in that as Vansice speaks his right hand is visible. Two things - nail on his middle finger is blackened, and thumbnail may be damaged too. Perhaps he had damaged his fingernail 11 days prior.....?!

Vansice spoke from the get-go about Jodi in past tense as if Jodi were deceased, when no one knew if she was dead or alive. It was 'she was like a daughter to me' not 'she is like a daughter to me'. When she'd been missing only 11 days!

The local DA recently got a warrant for two newer vehicles, and warrant was in relation to Huisentruit case. This would give them access to onboard chip to provide them with data as to where vehicles had been driven. (Most people don't know that their vehicle is effectively spying on them in this manner, or that LE can get access to this data). That data should reveal where the vehicles had been driven....

The Mason City, Iowa police chief is recently quoted as saying they are now 'very close' to making 'a break in the case'. That certainly sounds promising, given how close to the vest LE generally plays things. I wouldn't expect a police chief to make such a statement unless an arrest is in the works.

Police “very close” to break in Jodi Huisentruit disappearance

The Mason City police chief said that in June 2017, and still nothing. Not exactly my idea of really close or promising. jmo

Police chief in Mason City expects to solve disappearance of TV anchor Huisentruit - Radio Iowa

Mason City’s police chief says he’s confident the mystery behind the disappearance 22 years ago of former KIMT television anchor Jodi Huisentruit will be solved someday in the near future.

Jeff Brinkley says he’s hoping one of those final pieces of the puzzle can be found soon. He says, “I hope it’s this year. I think it’s really close. I think when we can get it going, it will pick up steam and I think it will come together pretty quickly when we can do that.”

There is an interesting post on the FindJodi.com forum under the "48 Hours" thread. It's written(unfortunately without spellcheck) by a guest using the name "Tak". I'm being specific because there are TWO threads with that title. I didn't know if I could link it here or not. I remember this discussion/theory was discussed some years back as I've been a member of that site on/off for the past decade.
Check it out; would be quite an interesting twist/discussion to this thread

Last edited:
The Mason City police chief said that in June 2017, and still nothing. Not exactly my idea of really close or promising. jmo

Police chief in Mason City expects to solve disappearance of TV anchor Huisentruit - Radio Iowa

Mason City’s police chief says he’s confident the mystery behind the disappearance 22 years ago of former KIMT television anchor Jodi Huisentruit will be solved someday in the near future.

Jeff Brinkley says he’s hoping one of those final pieces of the puzzle can be found soon. He says, “I hope it’s this year. I think it’s really close. I think when we can get it going, it will pick up steam and I think it will come together pretty quickly when we can do that.”

Frustrating. This case should have been solved. And then, in the next county down, Franklin, the eminently solvable case of Ethan Kazmerzak remains open. He's missing, and SO IS HIS CAR. His body is very likely in his car, submerged in one of the several small gravel pit ponds located right where his phone last pinged, yet the case lingers year after year....

There is an interesting post on the FindJodi.com forum under the "48 Hours" thread. It's written(unfortunately without spellcheck) by a guest using the name "Tak". I'm being specific because there are TWO threads with that title. I didn't know if I could link it here or not. I remember this discussion/theory was discussed some years back as I've been a member of that site on/off for the past decade.

I read it! Very interesting...
It makes sense to me. And all very possible.

Several years back I read or heard about JL and his connection to Jodi. It's very plausible the gifted car and possible relationship JH had with JL set JV off.
It's upsetting knowing this case could be solved and isn't.
jmo

I've read that in conjunction with Jodi's screaming in the Key Apts parking lot as she was assaulted, a name was uttered and heard. Does anyone know who the witness is who stated that, and what name was uttered/heard?

Several years back I read or heard about JL and his connection to Jodi. It's very plausible the gifted car and possible relationship JH had with JL set JV off.
It's upsetting knowing this case could be solved and isn't.
jmo
Certainly, if JV owned white van like one spotted at the Key Apts., they'd have conducted a forensics exam. Did that happen? Sorry, I'm fairly new to the case.

I noticed the mention of Vansice having a van. Hadn’t heard that before and it definitely raised an eyebrow.
I was really struck by the old footage of JV in his boat. He was so calm, cool and collected and seemed to be loving the attention. He didn’t seem worried or concerned about Jodi in the least, even saying something like “she’ll be back”.
What? She didn’t go off on an extended vacay to find herself. There was a violent struggle at her car. One of her shoes was laying in the parking lot.
It was bizaare and made him look suspicious.

If this is factual, it definitely could be an interesting twist. Of all the years following this case, I've never heard this other guy mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail