Australia Australia - Robert Hiscock, 56, Sydney, 16 Nov 1966

Great comprehensive article! Glad to see this case in the news after such a long time. Thanks for posting Starr.

The poor guy learning about his dad's death on the radio :(

"He was last seen alive drinking at the Manly Pacific Hotel (now the Novotel) between 4pm and 4.30pm. The timing would suggest that the last witness was a family member but reports don’t name the witness/es."
"The relatives who had met up with Hiscock on two occasions prior to his death were interviewed “for several hours” by detectives."

It's weird that they don't have names of the witnesses who were the last people to see him at the Manly Pacific Hotel at 4 - 4:30pm, they are presumably family members, seeing as though it was reported he was meeting family there. And obviously the police knew who they were as they interviewed them for several hours :confused:

"An employee at North Ryde Psychiatric Centre where Hiscock was treated between October 1963 and January 1964, testified that he’d overheard a conversation in which Robert spoke of dire consequences of breaking the Masonic Oath.
Welfare officer William Jenkins said he’d heard Hiscock tell three other men the following:
“No Mason can divulge any of the secrets imparted to him. The oath of a Mason is so binding that if I divulge any of the secrets entrusted to me at a meeting I shall suffer my tongue to be cut out and my body cast to the sands of the sea”."

Hmmm I'm definitely swaying more towards the Freemasons having done this, it would be just too much of a coincidence that Robert said that specifically and then that's what happened to him. It wasn't a burglary because they found $100 in his wallet.

Hi,

I joined this forum after coming across the news.com.au piece the other day.
Robert was my grandfather - I had a vague idea of what had happened to him, but this really shed some light on it.
Dad (Roberts son) never spoke much about it, but he was very interested in the article.
I would love for this case to get solved - it would mean a lot to my dad.
I haven't read through this thread yet but will update my post after doing so.
One thing I would like to mention is that Dad is adamant that his father wasn't an alcoholic, and he thinks it's ludicrous to think he committed suicide.

Thanks.

Hi,

I joined this forum after coming across the news.com.au piece the other day.
Robert was my grandfather - I had a vague idea of what had happened to him, but this really shed some light on it.
Dad (Roberts son) never spoke much about it, but he was very interested in the article.
I would love for this case to get solved - it would mean a lot to my dad.
I haven't read through this thread yet but will update my post after doing so.
One thing I would like to mention is that Dad is adamant that his father wasn't an alcoholic, and he thinks it's ludicrous to think he committed suicide.

Thanks.

Hi histopher - I haven't visited this site in a very long time-- I was so pleased to see your post, and also dismayed that I'd not been here to reply to it!

Interesting, what you said about your dad's opinion that Robert was not, in fact, an alcoholic. Why, then, would he be put in an institution (clearly, against his will) that specifically treated alcoholism?

That's not a snarky question at all, by the way - but a genuine one.

Something about this case has not sat right with me from the start... I'll agree with your dad that this probably wasn't suicide, I made some posts a while back about how ludicrous it seems that he could do -that much- damage to himself without leaving vast amounts of blood anywhere.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back