CANADA Canada - Audrey Gleave, 73, Ancaster ON, 30 Dec 2010 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
She Helped Crack the Golden State Killer Case. Here’s What She’s Going to Do Next.
Excerpt:
It took 20,000 hours and the assistance of more than 100 volunteers. But ultimately Ms. Rae-Venter used her techniques find the woman’s birth name, Dawn, and connected her with her grandfather, who was her closest living relative interested in a connection.

Ms. Rae-Venter was able to narrow Lisa's likely father down to a grouping of brothers. All had been married at the time of her birth and those that could be located refused DNA testing. Still Lisa had gone from knowing nothing about who she was to holding a family tree containing thousands of people.

Very interesting, I think.

Police at some point changed their tune, saying they now believe this crime was targeted and therefore area residents don't need to worry about a savage murderer on the loose. Who and why would target AG?

Aside from those that had a direct relationship of some sort with AG, who presumably were long ago fully checked out by LE, who would target a single elderly woman living alone in a semi-rural, low density area?
  • I'm wondering if AG used debit or cash when she made purchases?
  • Did police fully check out her banking/purchasing habits?
  • Did she, like some other elderly folks I know, not embrace technology and prefer to use cash - perhaps not trusting prying eyes to see what and where she spent her money?
  • Did someone perhaps see her pull a wad of cash out of her purse during a purchase at a retail location sometime shortly before her death, and then follow her home - and in the process see her nice vehicle, and then her secluded home as well, and believe she may be worth robbing?
  • Does it make sense that someone wanting to rob an old lady of some cash would also commit a brutal murder and set it up to look like it had sexual motivation - especially considering nothing like it has really happened since then?

There was a time when I was driving down a road, and I inadvertently cut a man in a pickup truck off. I knew I was in the wrong, and I would have been annoyed with me too.

BUT this guy started following me, driving up next to me, yelling and swearing at me - and while I had my kids and husband in my vehicle with me at the time. I apologized, but it wasn't good enough. He kept on me, and I was afraid to continue on to my home, not wanting him to know where I lived.

I was scared and can't imagine if my husband hadn't also been in the vehicle. It wasn't until my husband yelled out to him that he was going to report him to the police and his employer for his behavior on the road while driving his employer's company truck, that he finally went away, actually apologizing before he went.

Is it possible that AG could have PO'd someone on the road with her fancy Camaro, inadvertently initiating a 'road rage' episode, with that person following her home, etc?

But like in my previous post, it doesn't make sense to set it up to look like a sexual assault.

Imo, if a killer has nothing whatsoever to do with his victim, then there isn't really the need to take extra time at the crimescene to make it look like something it's not, since that person is random and difficult to trace in the first place.

Thinking of AG this morning. Random thoughts while trying to think of who would target someone like AG aside from those she had in her life.

Is it possible that AG could have PO'd someone on the road with her fancy Camaro, inadvertently initiating a 'road rage' episode, with that person following her home, etc?

But like in my previous post, it doesn't make sense to set it up to look like a sexual assault.
If I remember well, AG was ill and not driving/"roaring" through the streets with her shiny Camaro except a visit to the vet.
You are right: staging murder like a sexual assault wouldn't make sense in case of someone, who followed her. But an actual sexual assault would make sense, perhaps. IMO
I remain thinking, the murderer was rather someone known to her and did a staging of the scene.

O/T - or not at all?

Dellen Millard found guilty of murdering his father after death was initially deemed a suicide

Justice Maureen Forestell, who heard the case without a jury, said Dellen Millard carried out a planned and deliberate murder of his father.

“I am satisfied that Dellen Millard killed his father by shooting him in the left eye as he slept,” she said,
drawing applause from some (Bosma's, Babcock's) gathered in a Toronto courtroom on Monday. “I can find no theory consistent with innocence.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so remember when it was reported that items belonging to AG which had been missing were subsequently found outside on the property, however LE was not sure if this was linked to the crime?

Just wondering.... it surely would have been strange for inside items (which were said to have been *missing* - by whom? Who would know, other than AG?) to be found *outside*??? So if these items were related to the crime, then that would suggest that her killer had also been *inside* her home.

I think it has never been said whether the dogs were in their kennels, or whether they were simply inside the home roaming freely? If kennels, that would allow the killer time and opportunity to be inside the home too.

Speaking about using cash and not trusting technology makes me wonder if AG also may have kept large sums of money hidden inside her home. I'm sure the inside of the home would have been fingerprinted? It has never been reported in MSM that I have seen, whether any unknown prints were found - anywhere, including the garage, and/or garage door, etc.

Last edited:
Ok, so remember when it was reported that items belonging to AG which had been missing were subsequently found outside on the property, however LE was not sure if this was linked to the crime?

Just wondering.... it surely would have been strange for inside items (which were said to have been *missing* - by whom? Who would know, other than AG?) to be found *outside*??? So if these items were related to the crime, then that would suggest that her killer had also been *inside* her home.

I think it has never been said whether the dogs were in their kennels, or whether they were simply inside the home roaming freely? If kennels, that would allow the killer time and opportunity to be inside the home too.

Speaking about using cash and not trusting technology makes me wonder if AG also may have kept large sums of money hidden inside her home. I'm sure the inside of the home would have been fingerprinted? It has never been reported in MSM that I have seen, whether any unknown prints were found - anywhere, including the garage, and/or garage door, etc.
One of the dogs later on, when the dog was in care of the new owner, couldn't endure to be in his kennel at night and whined. So I think, the dogs had been locked up in their kennel, when A. would have had needed their help.
I remember, that there weren't found dog feces in the kennel/home or not as much, as the dogs would have had "produced" over a span of time between murder and PK's call to 911.
ETA:
The items outside, which should have stemmed from AG's home, I also wonder about. Not clear to me, who knew this and why.
Finger prints: I can imagine, that finger prints were difficult to take and were taken perhaps mainly in the garage? Maybe, the lack of finger prints of strangers (IF so) did mean something to LE?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re post rbbm. sorry, did not intend to bold everything that was bolded.
Who killed Audrey Gleave?
Aug 22, 2015 by Jon Wells
"Gleave's murder is not considered a cold case, Abrams says, because it is an active investigation.
Detectives keep tabs on "people of interest" and explore tips"

"In the early hours of the investigation, police hypothesized her murder had been random, by a stranger, and residents in Lynden should therefore be vigilant.

But Det. Angela Abrams says Gleave was targeted — which stands to reason, given the relative isolation of where she lived and how careful she was about letting anyone close to her.

She was a creature of habit: the times when she checked her computer, the hours she slept, coming and going from the house with her dogs.

"It was not random," says Abrams. "She would have known who it was."

"Abrams says there is no hard evidence Gleave was sexually assaulted.

How could interpretations be so different?

One reason is that the killer may have staged the crime scene. At least one Hamilton detective who worked the case in the past believed the killer tried to lead them down the wrong path.

In an article titled "The Staged Crime Scene," a New York City homicide investigator wrote that the most common type of homicide staging is trying to make the death appear accidental or a suicide, and the second most common is "when the perpetrator attempts to redirect the investigation by making the crime appear to be a sex-related homicide."
"At one point, he said he had carried the cake for Gleave into the garage where he discovered the body, but later said he had left the domed-lid Tupperware in his car the whole time. He's now convinced he must have left the cake in the car.

After he was interviewed by police at the scene of the homicide he drove home and along with Alex ate the cake — a "Texas stollen" cinnamon and raisin coffee ring cake."

Elements in this Oshawa ( approx. 1 hour from AG) cold case, remind me of Audrey Gleave, except that the murder victim apparently took few steps to ensure his safety, unlike AG who kept German Shephards.
imo, speculation, fwiw.

ONTARIO COLD CASE: 5 years on, no arrests in violent killing of 'lonely' senior
Dec 07, 2018
"Raymond Darby had an appointment with the dentist on the morning of June 18, 2013. The 72-year-old, a General Motors retiree who was no longer driving after suffering a stroke, had made arrangements with a friend who was to pick him up at his Oshawa home and make sure he got there on time.

But when the friend knocked at Darby’s door — the house is located on a large corner lot at Maine Street and Ritson Road, south of the Kedron Dells golf course — there was no answer."
"Darby had been murdered, stabbed to death in what Durham police at the time called a violent attack. Five and a half years after the killing, no arrest has been made.
“I would describe it as a particularly violent attack, based on the scene,”
Durham homicide Det. Mike Horrocks said in early December of 2018."

"Although Darby was well-known in his neighbourhood — he was something of a fixture, often seen walking about with the aid of a cane, handing out biscuits to dogs and engaging virtually anyone with time to talk in conversation — he left little information about who he’d been in close contact with just prior to his death, critical information for homicide investigators.

“It was a difficult case because of the lifestyle he had,” said Horrocks. “No internet, no cellphone.”
“He liked to wander and talk to strangers,” Horrocks said. “But he had only a few close friends. It made it difficult to determine who he was dealing with” just prior to his death.

Speculation ran rife following the killing. Neighbours noted that Darby, who liked to talk, often bragged that he had lots of money. He sometimes had young people work around his property, they noted. It was well known that he rarely took steps, even as simple as locking his front door, to secure his property. He was alone and vulnerable."

Trying to think of some new angles...

re: dog feces in the kennels and the duration of time... perhaps a stress response? thedailyshep.com/why-does-my-german-shepherd-eat-his-poop/

re: Audrey and tech... we know she was a very smart person and she had been taking courses in recent years. Decided to see if it was possible she couldve invested in bitcoin (timeline wise). Looks like it did exist then, and it did go from 0.06usd to 0.50usd in 2010, but she really wouldve been ahead of the curve if she was into ecurrency or bitcoin mining. Seems unlikely cause for robbery, but who knows. Throwing it up here just in case it gives others ideas.

Elements in this Oshawa ( approx. 1 hour from AG) cold case, remind me of Audrey Gleave, except that the murder victim apparently took few steps to ensure his safety, unlike AG who kept German Shephards.
imo, speculation, fwiw.

ONTARIO COLD CASE: 5 years on, no arrests in violent killing of 'lonely' senior
Dec 07, 2018
"Raymond Darby had an appointment with the dentist on the morning of June 18, 2013. The 72-year-old, a General Motors retiree who was no longer driving after suffering a stroke, had made arrangements with a friend who was to pick him up at his Oshawa home and make sure he got there on time.

But when the friend knocked at Darby’s door — the house is located on a large corner lot at Maine Street and Ritson Road, south of the Kedron Dells golf course — there was no answer."
"Darby had been murdered, stabbed to death in what Durham police at the time called a violent attack. Five and a half years after the killing, no arrest has been made.
“I would describe it as a particularly violent attack, based on the scene,”
Durham homicide Det. Mike Horrocks said in early December of 2018."

"Although Darby was well-known in his neighbourhood — he was something of a fixture, often seen walking about with the aid of a cane, handing out biscuits to dogs and engaging virtually anyone with time to talk in conversation — he left little information about who he’d been in close contact with just prior to his death, critical information for homicide investigators.

“It was a difficult case because of the lifestyle he had,” said Horrocks. “No internet, no cellphone.”
“He liked to wander and talk to strangers,” Horrocks said. “But he had only a few close friends. It made it difficult to determine who he was dealing with” just prior to his death.

Speculation ran rife following the killing. Neighbours noted that Darby, who liked to talk, often bragged that he had lots of money. He sometimes had young people work around his property, they noted. It was well known that he rarely took steps, even as simple as locking his front door, to secure his property. He was alone and vulnerable."
Commonalities would be even (Camaro related) "General Motors" and (living near) "golf course", I'm noticing .....

Trying to think of some new angles...

re: dog feces in the kennels and the duration of time... perhaps a stress response? thedailyshep.com/why-does-my-german-shepherd-eat-his-poop/
Oh yes, interesting to learn.
In simple terms, it does this as a coping mechanism for feeling lonely.
A bored GSD may eat its poop because it is lacking stimulation and has literally run out of things to do in its environment.

Would maybe explain the missing dog feces after AG's death ......

Do we know the dogs were in their kennels when they were found? Per the VI's posts here, he stated he wasn't sure where the dogs were exactly located, other than inside the house, since he didn't enter the house. (And I don't believe police have enlightened us on that?) (see: CANADA - Canada - Audrey Gleave, 73, Ancaster ON, 30 Dec 2010 #2)

In any event, he did also say that a couple of days later when he *did* enter the house, *before* cleaning started, that it didn't seem as if the dogs had been left unattended for an extended length of time (see same post as above). But that information is meaningless if we don't know whether the dogs were just loose inside the house, or if they were locked inside their kennel(s) inside the house, and the crates were already gone with police.

Police would presumably (and hopefully!) have taken the kennel(s) for examination, if they had indeed been inside their kennels when found?

After saying all of that, did the dogs even *have* kennels for sure? Our VI doesn't seem to have mentioned them in his posts (that I can see)? There is mention in a newspaper article though, when it seems our VI mentioned only 1 crate for both of the dogs? (That must have been one huge crate to comfortably fit 2 dogs of that size?):

"As close a friend as Phil was, of all the times he was in the house, she never served him coffee or watched TV with him. They would always chat on the same couch, just outside the kitchen. She would either shut Togi and Schatze in a large kennel crate she kept in the house, or urge them to be nice to Phil."
Opinion | Audrey’s story continues

Then in this article, it suggests 'two' 'cages', however we can't really tell if that is speculation/assumption on the author's part, or if indeed there were actually two crates.

"When she was killed, likely in her garage, Togi, a big eight-year old male shepherd, and Schatze, a lean, four-year old female, had been unable to help.

They were in the house, perhaps locked in their familiar cages.
At bedtime, Schatze goes easily into her cage in the living room, along with Lorne and Sylvia’s two previous dogs. But it’s different with Togi — there is something about the cage.

Togi was fiercely loyal to Audrey. If the big male was in his cage when she was killed, did he hear it? Is it possible that he saw something, but was trapped by the bars?

It makes no sense, eight years into his life, that Togi is now uneasy with his cage. He is calm outside it, “well balanced” as Lorne puts it. But inside the cage, at night, he seems agitated, stressed.

Does the cage symbolize something awful for him? From Lorne’s experience rehabilitating dogs, he thinks that is possible.

If Audrey Gleave’s dogs could speak …

Their new owner is quoted above saying the male dog doesn't like being penned in his crate at night, but isn't it just as possible that it could also be because he was not used to being penned at night?

Unfortunately, without knowing if the dogs had been penned in their kennels (which kennels would have presumably been absent and gone for examination by the time our VI went inside the home?), that leaves us with no knowledge of whether or not the amount of poop held clues to how long they'd been unattended. I'm hoping that police do know this, however!

If the dogs had NOT been crated inside the house when AG was being murdered, the house would have most assuredly suffered huge damage from the dogs trying to get out to protect their beloved master. I don't recall hearing any mention of any particular damage though? They would have been going absolutely nuts in a vicious way, knowing something was happening to their owner in the garage and yet not being able to get out there. And especially with 'two' dogs together.

I wonder if LE examined the dogs' stomach contents? They tested the dogs' hair and blood, (also noted in article above), but not sure about their stomach contents? Hopefully they sent the dogs in to duly qualified dog veterinarian experts to determine how long it had been since they had last eaten or consumed fluids, and/or whether they were anywhere close to dying due to dehydration/starvation, or which stage they were at exactly, in that inevitable process.

Interesting, the things that can become important pieces of evidence in a case.

In less than 2 weeks, it will have been EIGHT years, and still no sign of this crime being anywhere close to being solved. Have there been any crimes in the general area which are even remotely similar to this one during those 8 years? Or is this a one-off, by perhaps someone known to her who just snapped under the pressure of a whole lotta pent up rage towards her?

Audrey GLEAVE Homicide

gleave.jpg

clip_image002.jpg

AG was murdered end of December 2010... which is bringing her up to 8 years, not 9?
I hadn't heard of the other case, wow that sounds disturbing.

On Thursday December 30th, 2010 Police responded to 3401 Indian Trail Road, Lynden and discovered the lifeless body of Audrey GLEAVE (73 years). Gleave had been the victim of a particularly violent attack and had been stabbed multiple times.

Gleave was a retired school teacher who lived alone at the property. There were no signs of forced entry to the property and it is not believed that anything was taken from the home during the attack.

Gleave was last seen alive on the morning of Monday 27th December 2010 when she was visited by a friend.

Police ask anyone with information on this crime to contact Det Sgt Joe Stewart at 905 546 2458.

Audrey GLEAVE Homicide | Hamilton Police Service

We're coming up on nine years. I can't believe that Audrey's case hasn't been solved!

Between this case and Noelle Paquette's New Years eve murder, I'll never think of the holidays the same again here in Ontario. Both of these cases haunt me.

Last edited:
Audrey GLEAVE Homicide

gleave.jpg

clip_image002.jpg

AG was murdered end of December 2010... which is bringing her up to 8 years, not 9?
I hadn't heard of the other case, wow that sounds disturbing.

On Thursday December 30th, 2010 Police responded to 3401 Indian Trail Road, Lynden and discovered the lifeless body of Audrey GLEAVE (73 years). Gleave had been the victim of a particularly violent attack and had been stabbed multiple times.

Gleave was a retired school teacher who lived alone at the property. There were no signs of forced entry to the property and it is not believed that anything was taken from the home during the attack.

Gleave was last seen alive on the morning of Monday 27th December 2010 when she was visited by a friend.

Police ask anyone with information on this crime to contact Det Sgt Joe Stewart at 905 546 2458.

Audrey GLEAVE Homicide | Hamilton Police Service

Hey, I don't do do math! ;):oops:
(That was embarrassing.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics