CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't weighed in on this case yet, but I have been following, first one in quite while...

My son bought a home in Colorado springs a couple years ago, so could be partly why this one case caught my attention.

Hadn't wanted to comment due to my relative late coming to the case, but I have read all the threads, almost every post. (Plus other sources!)...

Veteran websluethers tend to pretty savvy. When they see a "duck", there's usually a duck. I completely concur with those who feel her PF killed her. There's no explanation that can get around the fact that immediately after he is contacted by her mom, her cell send texts to him, and her employer. But not mom. Call from mom made someone nervous, wonder who that could be?

Snipped for focus.

Do we know the texts were sent after the contact from Kelsey’s mom to PF?

If they were, wouldn’t that rule out him being in Gooding, Idaho? Otherwise his phone would’ve pinged there as well.

I’ve seen speculation that he left his phone at home so he could use her phone to text himself along with her employer, but if he had a phone call with KB’s mom that day, that wouldn’t work. He’d have to have the phone on him.

Now, perhaps his phone did ping in the same place or hundreds of miles from his home, and that’s why police were able to get a search warrant for the farm.

Snipped for focus.

If they were, wouldn’t that rule out him being in Gooding, Idaho? Otherwise his phone would’ve pinged there as well.

I’ve seen speculation that he left his phone at home so he could use her phone to text himself along with her employer, but if he had a phone call with KB’s mom that day, that wouldn’t work. He’d have to have the phone on him.

Now, perhaps his phone did ping in the same place or hundreds of miles from his home, and that’s why police were able to get a search warrant for the farm.
I suspect that someone else at the ranch (pretending to be Patrick) texted Kelsey's mom back on Nov 25th using Patrick's phone.

Last edited:
Snipped for focus.

I suspect that someone else at the ranch texted Kelsey's mom back on Nov 25th using Patrick's phone.
I understood the contact between Cheryl and PF was 12/2. Texts were reported as 11/25. What am I missing?

All this debate about whether they were or were not a couple. IMO, a lot points to them NOT being a couple. Not spending Thanksgiving together, not knowing who is shopping for the Christmas tree, absence of social media photos together, blah blah blah. And then add to all of this, the aunts former post which states they DID break up. I can't see any justification for her to make that up. But I do see a justification for Kelseys mother to be less than truthful in her claim that they were a happy couple. She might worry about what people think, and she must worry about her grandchild.

NOW I HAVE TO CONTRADICT WHAT I WROTE ABOVE,

If the text sent from the Kelsey's phone to the boyfriend stated, "Im sorry, Im no longer interested in being involved, I am headed to blah, blah, blah,...I need some time to myself...." Well that could be the source of some family members stating they had gone different directions. I was wrong to think it was Kelsey who made that claim to her family! Actually this new scenario makes more sense to me.

Last edited:
I understood the contact between Cheryl and PF was 12/2. Texts were reported as 11/25. What am I missing?

I have no idea. I thought the contact between her mom and PF was a phone call on December 2nd as well.

But the poster I replied to said November 25th.

This whole case is so confusing. I would assume that if the phone call had been on November 25th, and the claim is he told her mom she was going to visit relatives, that mom would’ve realized in a day or two that she didn’t make it, and called police by the 26th or 27th of November, not wait till December 2nd.

According to an article by KRDO, Kelsey’s mom was alarmed that Kelsey wasn't responding to her texts and calls. She had the police stop by and do a check on Kelsey's home on Nov 25th.

It's very possible Kelsey's mom received some disinformation from Patrick's phone on Nov 25th that pacified her into not sending Kelsey’s brother to search Kelsey's home until Dec 2nd.

She owned that Townhouse. Plenty of room for the three of them to live. This story from CB that they wanted to get a home but cattle prices were down doesn’t hold water. They had her home. I bet he felt obligated to stay and help his mom. I read somewhere that she is disabled. If he moved out she wouldn’t have been able to care for those 35 acres. I think KB was looking for more of a commitment from him. Perhaps she broke up with him in an effort to force his hand. Just speculating.

I think the information the aunt was asked to remove is the information that was stated on the text between Kelsey and boyfriend and which has not been publicly disclosed. And that explains why I believe her mother is so adamant about making claims to the healthy happy relationship which existed between them. It is a reaction formation to the text which in her heart, she knows her daughter could not have authored.

I think a thirty year old man who lives with his mother might have a mother who does not want her son to have any girlfriend. I don't think its so far fetched that Kelsey was not welcomed at the home or at least discouraged from wanting to be there.

According to an article by KRDO, Kelsey’s mom was alarmed that Kelsey wasn't responding to her texts and calls. She had the police stop by and do a check on Kelsey's home on Nov 25th.

It's very possible Kelsey's mom received some disinformation from Patrick's phone on Nov 25th that pacified her into not sending Kelsey’s brother to search Kelsey's home until Dec 2nd.
I disagree. Several reports cite the welfare check was Dec 2, which resulted in a missing person report by CB the same day. LE issued search warrants for KB home and vehicles, and Cheryl and KB brother traveled to Colorado within a day or two. LE also confirmed texts to employer and PF on 11/25. No reports included communication by Cheryl on this date. MOO

I disagree. Several reports cite the welfare check was Dec 2, which resulted in a missing person report by CB the same day. LE issued search warrants for KB home and vehicles, and Cheryl and KB brother traveled to Colorado within a day or two. LE also confirmed texts to employer and PF on 11/25. No reports included communication by Cheryl on this date. MOO
From the earliest Websleuth posts about information in the first press conference:

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 6.30.27 AM.png
CO - CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018

Whoever had PF's phone on that Nov 25th must have sent Kelsey's mom disinformation that calmed her enough to where she didn't send Kelsey's brother to Kelsey's duplex until Dec 2nd.

Last edited:
Kelsey's aunt claimed they broke up around Thanksgiving which is about the same time that text showed up to the boyfriends phone. I am 99.999 (plus .0001) convinced that in that unknown text to the boyfriend, the writer claimed that she wanted to split up. And said something about going to Washington. I am 99.998 convinced that she did no orchestrate that text. No car, abandoning the kid, missing work, not contacting her mother, no paper trail, the search of his home,... JMO

Kelsey's aunt claimed they broke up around Thanksgiving which is about the same time that text showed up to the boyfriends phone. I am 99.999 (plus .0001) convinced that in that unknown text to the boyfriend, the writer claimed that she wanted to split up. And said something about going to Washington. I am 99.998 convinced that she did no orchestrate that text. No car, abandoning the kid, missing work, not contacting her mother, no paper trail, the search of his home,... JMO
And this disinformation was sent to Kelsey's mom by someone using Patrick's phone at the ranch on Nov. 25th. ( Kelsey's phone was in transit near Gooding, Idaho at this time). This is why Kelsey's brother didn't go to her duplex until Dec 2nd.

Last edited:
Thank you Nan for that beautiful story.
After reading about the way PF handled horses and dogs, your story comes at a great time.
Animals certainly react well to affection.
I know, how my many pets adore me over the years, and it is due to the love they receive.
I have my little one, next to me on a one seated sofa, as she must be touching me continually, with balancing my laptop on my knees.

Guess
Same for me. I love the movie "Horse Whisperer" for just this reason. The use of kindness and patience gives so much more reward in the care and treatment of a horse. Of any animal for that matter.

My two cats follow me from room to room, always need to be near me or next to me, and head-butt my laptop constantly when I'm trying to type. Maybe explains why my spelling and grammar gets a bit weird at times. Maybe..

This aspect of PF's treatment of his animals disgusts me. If I'd never heard of him in relation to anything else (Kelsey), I would still find it difficult to like him as a fellow human.

We don't know what time the texts were sent or that the phone pinged right afterward.
MOO
They appear to have all occurred the same day from the same area though.

ETA info in link

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oxygen.com/crime-time/text-sent-from-missing-colorado-mom-kelsey-berreth-phone-3-days-after-vanishing?amp

"Three days after vanishing, a text was sent from her phone to Doss Aviation, a flight school in Colorado Springs where she worked as an instructor, informing them that she planned to take a week off of work, Woodland Park Police said in a press conference Monday according to the New York Post.

The text was sent the same day investigators said her phone pinged from Gooding, Idaho, approximately 700 miles from her Colorado home. Her mother, Cheryl Berreth lives in Idaho, but says her daughter made no attempt to contact family living there, according to East Idaho News.

Berreth's fiance, Patrick Frazee, with whom she shares a 1-year-old daughter, said the last communication he had with her was also on Nov. 25, three days after she was seen on surveillance footage shopping at the store, KRDO reports. He told police the last time he physically saw Berreth was on Thanksgiving"

Another link that puts the ping and text as simultaneous

Kelsey Berreth vanished on Thanksgiving, but her phone kept sending clues | Boston.com

"When the text messages were sent from Berreth"s phone on November 25, it pinged near Gooding, Idaho , about 800 miles from her home

Last edited:
And this disinformation was sent to Kelsey's mom by someone using Patrick's phone at the ranch on Nov. 25th. ( Kelsey's phone was in transit near Gooding, Idaho at this time). This is why Kelsey's brother didn't go to her duplex until Dec 2nd.

Okay I get it - you are theorizing that there were additional texts that we don't know about, using PF's phone in CO. KB's brother traveled with CB to CO on Dec 2/3; he lives in eastern WA.

Okay I get it - you are theorizing that there were additional texts that we don't know about, using PF's phone in CO. KB's brother traveled with CB to CO on Dec 2/3; he lives in eastern WA.
KB grew up on a farm in Moses Lake, WA which is considered "Eastern WA." Her brother Clint lives in Tacoma, WA which is 30 miles from Seattle or Western WA. Earlier, I recall reading a post from her brother that stated he was in the Denver Airport waiting for his Mom's flight to arrive. It appeared to me they met each other in Colorado. MOO

The majority seem to be pointing the finger at PF (and I tend to agree) but I’m curious if there’s anyone who believes KB left on her own accord or that someone else (not PF) is responsible?

I am wondering about what generated the reward money. Did the police offer the reward on their own or did somebody out in the public volunteer to offer the reward money? It seems early in the investigation for reward money. If I knew anything, I would have said something long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member