CA CA - Daniel Gilchrist, 19, Moss Beach, San Mateo County, 18 Dec 2018

cybervampira

Reaction score
San Mateo County Sheriff's Office

Can you help us find Daniel Gilchrist? He went missing from his father's home in Moss Beach on 12/18/18 at approximately 11:00 PM.

Daniel told his father he was going to spend time with his friend in Pacifica, but he never arrived. Daniel left his vehicle and the keys at his father's residence, and seemingly walked. His cell phone has been turned off and no one has heard from him since the evening of the 18th.

If you have seen Daniel or have any information about his location please contact Detective Joe Fava with the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office 650-363-4192 or via email at jfava@smcgov.org.

upload_2018-12-27_3-50-45.jpeg

County of San Mateo - Government

Young man missing from the coast

Oh dear. That’s right on the ocean. And we know about young men and water. : (

Let’s hope this young man defies those odds.

How do they know he drove about 20 miles?

How do they know he drove about 20 miles?
The article Ze posted above quotes the father as saying the boy put "about" 20 miles on the car. Dad is probably a thrifty gas mileage tracker who would notice these sorts of things. Alternatively, having a teen in the house who is supposed to ask permission to drive the car tends to make you aware of such things as car mileage. ; )

I grew up in Moss Beach. There is very little reason to believe he would walk to Pacifica. There is a trail but it would be a nightmare at night since it goes over a mountain near the edge of the Pacific Ocean. Daniel would have known the dangers. However, since I grew up there I do know that there are several WW2 base ruins where kids would hang out. I'm sure LE has probably checked those out, but it seems far more plausible that he was home from school met up with some friends at night maybe got lost or maybe hurt himself somehow.

If still alive (as we all pray), I think he is in S.F. There is quite a pack of "street kids" living around the Haight that hang out together and share what little they have. I'd look there.

Amateur opinion and speculation only

The 20 miles is confusing. Did he drive somewhere and back to his dads house that equaled 20 miles. It says his car with keys was left at his dad's house. If so, he drove somewhere in a 10 mile radius of his house and back. How far is Pacifica from Moss Beach driving?

The 20 miles is confusing. Did he drive somewhere and back to his dads house that equaled 20 miles. It says his car with keys was left at his dad's house. If so, he drove somewhere in a 10 mile radius of his house and back. How far is Pacifica from Moss Beach driving?

Approx. 7 miles / 10 min drive

Not sure of vicinity

Man's body found near open space preserve in San Mateo County

WOODSIDE, Calif. (KTVU/BCN) - A man's body was found late Monday night just off Skyline Boulevard in unincorporated San Mateo County, sheriff's officials said.

A deputy on an unrelated call made the discovery at 11:09 p.m. just north of Reids Roost, which is just east of the El Corte de Madera Open
Space Preserve.
As of Tuesday morning, Skyline Boulevard was closed from just south of Skeggs Point to just north of Reids Roost. Sheriff's officials don't know when the road will reopen.

CONTINUE READING BELOW

Daniel Gilchrist – The Charley Project

Details of Disappearance
Gilchrist was last seen at his father's home in Moss Beach, California on December 18, 2018. He was visiting his father for Christmas break after his first semester at Purdue University in Indiana. At 8:00 p.m., he told his father he was going to visit a friend in Pacifica, California.

Gilchrist never arrived at his friend's house. In fact, she wasn't even home; she was away at college in Chicago, Illinois. The last time his cellular phone pinged was at 1:40 a.m. on December 19; the ping was from the driveway area. Since then either the phone was turned off or the battery died. His car was found in his father's driveway, with the key ring on the car antenna; there were about twenty miles on the odometer that haven't been accounted for.

In February 2018, ten months prior to his disappearance, Gilchrist's mother died of ovarian cancer. He was a senior at Alma Heights Christian Academy at the time; he had also attended St. John's Orthodox Academy, a Russian Orthodox school in San Francisco. Prior to his disappearance, he seemed troubled and his father believed he was suicidal and insisted he get counseling. Gilchrist claimed he had been to see a counselor.

Since Gilchrist went missing, there has been no activity on his credit card. The last search entry he put into his computer was "Devil's Slide." The Devil's Slide is a steep, rocky coastal cliff between Pacifica and Montara, California. He also left a note for his father saying he was interested in becoming a vagabond and escaping from society to be alone.

There is no evidence of foul play in Gilchrist's case, but his father fears he may be dead. His case remains unsolved.

San Mateo County Sheriff's Office
27 Jul 2020
Remember Daniel Gilchrist?
We do and this is someone who has been on our minds since he was reported missing by his family in December 2018. Detectives recently did another search for Daniel and found no leads.
We want to encourage anyone who may have information regarding his disappearance to contact detectives at 650-599-1536.

What a sad case. I presume he's still missing as he's still listed in NamUs.

Did he go out to Devil's Slide? Or did he change his mind about that and is living under the radar?

I fear the worst, and since it says on CP he was adopted, there would probably be no family DNA available. Perhaps his profile was obtained by LE via his belongings?

I wish there was even more help out there for people who are suffering so much.
Rooting for a concrete answer for his father and relatives.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back