Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very few suicide notes are actually written.

As opposed to typewritten?

I suppose it would depend on the individual and their known practices. Not many people write anything in this digital age but a 75 year old guy who reportedly only had four different cars during his lifetime because he drive them until they wore out might also be the sort of person who still hand wrote or dictated correspondence as much as possible. But his style of communication and personal quirks would be something only those closest to him would’ve known.

However it’s been mentioned he had a habit of correcting other people’s grammar so just my guess, a preferred style of the almost ancient art of handwriting often goes hand in hand. If so, I suppose a typed letter could be viewed as highly suspicious after the investigation was underway, even if initially taken at face value by LE who first arrived on scene. However media reported no suicide note.

“There was no sign of forced entry and no suicide note.”
WARMINGTON: Questions surround deaths of billionaire couple

Murder houses a tough sell, but a home's dark past may stay hidden | The Guardian
"TORONTO — It was a "stunning" property in the heart of downtown Toronto, but for broker Caroline Baile it was a tough sell.

That's because the home had been the site of a recent murder, a domestic dispute turned fatal. Baile would tell potential buyers about the tragic death that took place, but the property's story was already well known thanks to intense media coverage of the crime.

"It was challenging to sell it," she said, not wanting to go into too much detail to protect client privacy. "So we ended up leasing it to cover carrying costs."

"Even in high-profile cases, there are some people who aren't deterred, said Barry Cohen, a Toronto-based luxury property realtor.

The unsolved murders of Apotex Inc. founder Barry Sherman and his wife Honey at their mansion in northern Toronto has not hurt the sale prospects for nearby homes that he is representing, as most see it as an isolated incident and not a reflection of the neighbourhood, Cohen said.

As well, while the Shermans' home is not currently on the market, Cohen said there is buyer interest.

"The client would buy it as is."

The lack of outside murder weapons can be taken in two ways.Either a spur of the moment murder using any available object,or a well planned one using things from the house that can not be traced or linked to an outsider.The few clues that we have access to point to either scenario.Someone got in that house and used basic tools to kill.

I wonder which of the siblings has been incarcerated and for what reason.

It seems a weird coincidence that Kerry claims to have been invited by Barry to engage in a plot involving conspiracy to commit murder about the same time as his brother was similarly charged.

BBM
“Court filings and interviews with relatives reveal a bitterly divided family that has been beset by a series of troubles. One cousin, Dana, died of a heroin overdose in 1995 shortly after being charged with conspiracy to commit murder. Royal Trust alleges in court filings that one reason the cousins could never become involved in Apotex was because of "significant personal issues, which included criminal activity, incarceration, serious drug addictions and mental health issues."....”
At Apotex, a family feud comes to the fore

10/3 podcast: Barry and Honey Sherman killing one year on
We look back at the killings, what may have stalled the investigation, and where police are at in their effort to catch those responsible.

Dave is joined by Toronto Sun columnist Joe Warmington.

Thank you for the link, the podcast is worth a listen. A very brief summary - Joe Warmington is quite optimistic there’ll be an arrest made in 2019, speaks highly of the Shermans and talked a bit of the reward, says if he were to collect it should be donated to the Sick Chidrens Hospital to honour the Shermans’ manner of generous giving.

Just listened to the podcast. I could almost feel Warmington smiling when he said there would likely be arrests in 2019, and that the police have four or five suspects!

Warmington, also sounds like he is pretty positive it was a double murder, not a murder/suicide. Now he did cage his bets by saying 'If this was a murder'.

Interesting too was the fact, the publisher of his paper Paul Godfrey, who was friends with the Sherman's did not believe the M/S explanation. For those who point to M/S and a family and friends cover-up, they can use that as proof.

Very interesting to say the least.

A brief quote - Warmington. ETA adding
“I’ll break a little news for you, they’re working on some things. I think you’re going to see an arrest, I’m not afraid to tell you that. Most people think you’re never going to solve this, I don’t agree......Four or five suspects, some of whom you may know, some of whom you may not know, I’m not going to say who they are because I’m not involved in the investigation...”

He also thinks “it was very personal though, the way the murders happened. They were strangled and staged, or meant to be found that way.....<>.....it seemed very personal to me, I think it was someone who had great animus towards the family.”

Last edited:
10/3 podcast: Barry and Honey Sherman killing one year on
We look back at the killings, what may have stalled the investigation, and where police are at in their effort to catch those responsible.

Dave is joined by Toronto Sun columnist Joe Warmington.
Very interesting- thank you, dotr!

At around the 14:00 minute mark, Warmington said the ‘bodies were not in the house, they were in an indoor pool attached to the home’ (quote not verbatim).

ETA: I’m hoping Warmington is dropping a hint. It may be technically true if the killer has stated they’ve never been in the home.

Last edited:
The lack of outside murder weapons can be taken in two ways.Either a spur of the moment murder using any available object,or a well planned one using things from the house that can not be traced or linked to an outsider.The few clues that we have access to point to either scenario.Someone got in that house and used basic tools to kill.

In view of the LE statement that they believe the Sherman’s were targeted, it’s unlikely these were spur of the moment murders. And I have to think that someone showing up to murder 2 people would bring the weapon with them, and not figure it out once they got there.
If one believes Oswald killed kennedy, he didn’t show up at the Texas school book depository without a weapon in hand.
I believe the killer(s) brought ligatures with them, and that LE was searching for these in the weeks after the bodies were discovered.

Being from Minnesota, our former Governor, Mark Dayton, who was not Governor at the time but perhaps he was a Senator, brought bus loads of senior citizens to Canada to get cheaper drugs.

There were people in MN giving advice on how to get mail order drugs from Canada. We were grateful that we could

Yes , for several years there was a flourishing business of Canadian pharmacies supplying American patients with much lower cost drugs. Near where I live was the original pharmacist who started it. He became a millionaire over night . It was all above board , official doctor prescriptions required etc.

American pharmacies started to complain because they were losing business and after several years began to lobby the lawmakers and pretty much put an end to it. Now Americans are back to paying horrendously expensive prices for drugs. My jaw drops when I see the price comparisons.

If anyone thinks big pharma and big money do not influence the politicians need look no farther for proof . That also includes the likes of Sherman and his cosy relationship to our groper in chief Justin Trudeau.

A brief quote - Warmington. ETA adding
“I’ll break a little news for you, they’re working on some things. I think you’re going to see an arrest, I’m not afraid to tell you that. Most people think you’re never going to solve this, I don’t agree......Four or five suspects, some of whom you may know, some of whom you may not know, I’m not going to say who they are because I’m not involved in the investigation...”

He also thinks “it was very personal though, the way the murders happened. They were strangled and staged, or meant to be found that way.....<>.....it seemed very personal to me, I think it was someone who had great animus towards the family.”

“Four or 5 suspects”... seems Warminton went to the same course on double speak as Chief Saunders. Of course there are multiple “suspects” that are being investigated. That doesn’t mean any of them were involved, or can be proven to be involved!

“Four or 5 suspects”... seems Warminton went to the same course on double speak as Chief Saunders. Of course there are multiple “suspects” that are being investigated. That doesn’t mean any of them were involved, or can be proven to be involved!
Yes, but: ‘some we know, some we don’t know.’
Sounds like they’re connected.

I’m confused by the “no found weapon” line of reasoning - has it actually been confirmed that no weapon was found? I don’t remember reading that, just seen it discussed as if it was established? Also what’s to say killer(s) didn’t bring weapon in (or not) & take it when leaving? Sorry if this is a well-worn path, I haven’t followed this case since back in the beginning.

I figure I also missed discussion of other possible perps - EG some fraudslinger Barry was suing to recover an investment, IIRC something happened in that case the same day as the murders ? Seems like a good lead, anyone remember how that panned out?

I know there’s plenty of smoke around the idea of BS being targeted in response to his aggressive, litigious approach to business. Makes sense. And it’s also crossed my mind that this could’ve been an act of anti-Jewish terrorism, since the Shermans were known for their support of Jewish causes.

What do you think was Warmington’s reason for optimism that charges will be laid in 2019?

Only my observation, the overall tone of the podcast was very much in contrast with what Kerry has led us to believe regarding his frequent communications with Warmington who “knows the truth”. He was very complementary of the Shermans and the professional careers of Greenspan, Chaisson, and Klatt as well. It’s surprising that he and Kerry would agree on anything other than LE initially thought m/s occurred and the news was everywhere within minutes of the discovery of the bodies.

In view of the LE statement that they believe the Sherman’s were targeted, it’s unlikely these were spur of the moment murders. And I have to think that someone showing up to murder 2 people would bring the weapon with them, and not figure it out once they got there.
If one believes Oswald killed kennedy, he didn’t show up at the Texas school book depository without a weapon in hand.
I believe the killer(s) brought ligatures with them, and that LE was searching for these in the weeks after the bodies were discovered.
Did the killers expect to murder both or just one of the Shermans?
Did the perps bring sufficient "tools"/ligatures for two, or were they forced to improvise by tying H and B's wrists together?
BS's own belt was used to hold him up, but it is unknown where the belt found with HS originated, did they only bring one belt?
Was the pm hanging a last minute "flourish" along with the straightened glasses- like unnecessarily adding to an already completed snowman?
speculation, imo.

Very interesting- thank you, dotr!

At around the 14:00 minute mark, Warmington said the ‘bodies were not in the house, they were in an indoor pool attached to the home’ (quote not verbatim).

ETA: I’m hoping Warmington is dropping a hint. It may be technically true if the killer has stated they’ve never been in the home.

Seeing as the house is approx. 30 yrs old, technically the lap pool may be considered to be 'away from the house' or attached to the house as opposed to 'part of the house'. There is that long corridor to the pool room.

Depends on the building standards at the time it was built.

Warmington made a point of saying the murders were personal.

Later he said that if his family doesn’t hear from him in two hours, they become concerned...no one in the Sherman family came to look for H & B in (almost) two days.

I’m confused by the “no found weapon” line of reasoning - has it actually been confirmed that no weapon was found? I don’t remember reading that, just seen it discussed as if it was established? Also what’s to say killer(s) didn’t bring weapon in (or not) & take it when leaving? Sorry if this is a well-worn path, I haven’t followed this case since back in the beginning.

I figure I also missed discussion of other possible perps - EG some fraudslinger Barry was suing to recover an investment, IIRC something happened in that case the same day as the murders ? Seems like a good lead, anyone remember how that panned out?

I know there’s plenty of smoke around the idea of BS being targeted in response to his aggressive, litigious approach to business. Makes sense. And it’s also crossed my mind that this could’ve been an act of anti-Jewish terrorism, since the Shermans were known for their support of Jewish causes.

LE has released no information so I also don’t know how “no weapon found” became part of the story.

Here’s a couple links regarding the $150,000 lawsuit filed on Shaun Rootenberg, aka Shaun Rothberg. This has been discussed in the past and so a couple points -
- it appears SR was in prison Dec/17. His unsuccessful appeals for release can be found on Canlii.
- Myron G has the same last name as the realtor but there’s no other known connection.

Endless court battles, angry relatives and shady players: the truth about Barry Sherman

Convicted fraudster served as CFO, then returned to shady ways: Police

Warmington made a point of saying the murders were personal.

Later he said that if his family doesn’t hear from him in two hours, they become concerned...no one in the Sherman family came to look for H & B in (almost) two days.

I wondered, was his point to cast suspicion on the family for not checking up on their parents daily....or was it an opportunity for Warmington to express that he and his family has reason to be concerned over his personal safety?

It could be either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member