Matt Lauer fired by NBC, accused of "inappropriate sexual behavior"

Just jumping off the post below. I'm at a loss at to what's so confusing to so many folks about the skewed power dynamic when it comes to sex in the workplace. Experts have shared clear-cut definitions; many were in links posted to this thread.

This statement below (from the linked article upthread) exactly illustrates one clear reason why Matt Lauer was fired — with cause — from his job.

From the link: "Although Zinone’s situation was consensual, she saw parallels between her own story and several accounts from the unnamed victims. Her situation is different than other allegations against Lauer, which involved unwanted advances. But it illustrates what can happen when a prominent person brings sex into the workplace, and there’s an imbalance of power. For Zinone, Lauer’s behavior had a devastating and lasting effect on her personal and professional life."

I'm not seeing a victim here. I see a consensual "encounter".

She had already accepted another job, a bigger job in her home state, and was in the final days/weeks of her time at NBC. The 'power dynamic' was more diffused since he was not her boss, could not affect her job (not the one she was leaving nor the new one she was starting), and if she had turned his lecherous pass(es) down he couldn't have done a thing about it.

At that particular point he was not in control, not of her, unlike other females who weren't leaving NBC, who worked on the show and worked with him directly and over whom he did have power to affect their jobs at NBC.

I submit that getting involved with a married man, a famous high-level anchor dude, is going to be stressful for many reasons, and self-recrimination and feeling shame about this road taken is probably not unusual on the female's part. This is a woman who has a conscience, unlike Lauer. She regretted getting involved with him and felt psychologically damaged and ashamed about crossing that line.

She was a victim of being naive, not realizing this wasn't going to be hearts & flowers type of deal, and she was just another notch in his belt. Those are some big life lessons to face and that it was with someone famous only exacerbates the awkwardness.

She had already accepted another job, a bigger job in her home state, and was in the final days/weeks of her time at NBC. The 'power dynamic' was more diffused since he was not her boss, could not affect her job (not the one she was leaving nor the new one she was starting), and if she had turned his lecherous pass(es) down he couldn't have done a thing about it.

At that particular point he was not in control, not of her, unlike other females who weren't leaving NBC, who worked on the show and worked with him directly and over whom he did have power to affect their jobs at NBC.

I submit that getting involved with a married man, a famous high-level anchor dude, is going to be stressful for many reasons, and self-recrimination and feeling shame about this road taken is probably not unusual on the female's part. This is a woman who has a conscience, unlike Lauer. She regretted getting involved with him and felt psychologically damaged and ashamed about crossing that line.

She was a victim of being naive, not realizing this wasn't going to be hearts & flowers type of deal, and she was just another notch in his belt. Those are some big life lessons to face and that it was with someone famous only exacerbates the awkwardness.

This is where the power dynamic still exists. He doesn't have to be her boss to be the bigger part of a power dynamic.

ETA: The most frustrating thing is watching everyone tear this woman apart even though Lauer very much did abuse women. Where's the hostility toward him?

This is where the power dynamic still exists. He doesn't have to be her boss to be the bigger part of a power dynamic.

ETA: The most frustrating thing is watching everyone tear this woman apart even though Lauer very much did abuse women. Where's the hostility toward him?

How is understanding her part and position in this "tearing this woman apart?" That is such hyperbole.

Lauer was a more powerful person in many ways -- certainly at NBC and at The Today Show, and he had decades more experience and more influence. But, at that very time, after this young woman already had 1 foot out the door and a new better position already secured, *her* power increased. She had the power to not be coerced, threatened, intimidated, or bullied by Lauer. She was in a different position than others who came forward, and lumping all women together as if they one amorphous blob/victims of Lauer is (imo) disingenuous. There are some shades of gray and seeing those shades and analyzing them is in no way tearing any woman apart.

Was she more famous than Lauer at that point?

OH the hostility is there. ML is nothing more than a pile of dog ****, the same as every other male who has treated females the way he has. Just because I don't feel the same way as some of the others who have posted here does not mean I think ML is in the right. He deserves everything that is happening to him.

"She was a victim of being naive" Well, these are some words I need to rethink as far as saying she is not a victim :)

Does anyone have an idea of who the original victim is? I find it difficult to believe there hasn’t been a leak.

I’m inclined to think NBC took such drastic public measures in order to appear that they were in complete shock. As in, matters like that are all in check under their leadership. In my opinion I believe there was some knowledge surrounding flirtatious inappropriate activity.

Beyond the intern Addie who came forward, allegedly Lucie Fink and Natalie Morales, I haven’t been able to find anything else.

Hoda Kotb named co-anchor of NBC’s ‘Today,’ joins Savannah Guthrie
by Erik Ortiz

Hoda Kotb was named co-anchor of "Today" on Tuesday morning and officially headlined the broadcast with Savannah Guthrie.

Kotb, 53, had been behind the anchor desk of NBC's morning news show in a temporary role since Matt Lauer was fired in November. Lauer's dismissal came after a female colleague made a detailed complaint accusing him of inappropriate sexual behavior.

In announcing Kotb's appointment on "Today," Guthrie, 46, told viewers: "This has to be the most popular decision that NBC News has ever made." ...

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/tv/hoda-kotb-named-new-co-anchor-nbc-s-today-joins-n833951

Congratulations on the new gig, Hoda :clap:

Hoda Kotb will make roughly $18 million per year less than disgraced male predecessor Matt Lauer, and about $13 million less than fellow "Today" anchor Megyn Kelly, despite doing significantly more work than both.

Kotb will earn $7 million per year, while Lauer reportedly made $25 million, and Kelly makes around $20 million.

Not only will Kotb replace Lauer from 7-9 a.m., but she will also continue to co-host the 10 a.m. hour with Kathy Lee Gifford. Kotb’s day will now end at 11 a.m., meaning she is literally working twice as much as Lauer did for significantly less cash.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...million-less-than-matt-lauer-report-says.html

Meanwhile, over at ABC, Robin Roberts and George Stephanopoulos reportedly make $15 million-$18 million each. And Kelly Ripa reportedly makes well north of $20 million to host the one-hour “Live” at 9 a.m. ET.

Good luck to Hoda. She's the best choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Good luck to Hoda. She's the best choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

-it’s odd that there is still no word on who the original accuser is. They must be paying enormous amounts to keep it from leaking.

NBCUniversal report finds managers were unaware of Matt Lauer's sexual misconduct
The report found no evidence of a widespread pattern of misconduct, but said employees were reluctant to report misconduct issues.

After a five-month internal investigation, NBCUniversal said on Wednesday that it found no evidence the leaders of its news division were aware of allegations of sexual misconduct made by four women against fired “Today” show anchor Matt Lauer.

"We found no evidence indicating that any NBC News or 'Today' show leadership, News HR or others in positions of authority in the News Division received any complaints about Lauer’s workplace behavior prior to Nov. 27, 2017," the report states...

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bu...gers-were-unaware-matt-lauer-s-sexual-n872621

NBCUniversal report finds managers were unaware of Matt Lauer's sexual misconduct
The report found no evidence of a widespread pattern of misconduct, but said employees were reluctant to report misconduct issues.

After a five-month internal investigation, NBCUniversal said on Wednesday that it found no evidence the leaders of its news division were aware of allegations of sexual misconduct made by four women against fired “Today” show anchor Matt Lauer.

"We found no evidence indicating that any NBC News or 'Today' show leadership, News HR or others in positions of authority in the News Division received any complaints about Lauer’s workplace behavior prior to Nov. 27, 2017," the report states...

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bu...gers-were-unaware-matt-lauer-s-sexual-n872621

"NBCUniversal said... it found no evidence the leaders of its news division were aware of allegations of sexual misconduct made by four women against fired “Today” show anchor Matt Lauer."

NBCUniversal needs to be investigated by a trustworthy independent body. Even Tom Brokaw - the latest to be accused of sexual harassment/misconduct - is calling for an independent investigation.

IMO, until a trustworthy independent investigation occurs, NBCUniversal will remain under a much-deserved cloud of suspicion for failing to protect their 'less prominent' employees from the alleged predatory behavior of their 'moneymakers' and also for apparently failing to provide an accessible HR department capable of receiving/documenting/taking action on sexual harassment claims.

If ANY employee is reluctant to report sexual harassment/misconduct due to fear of losing their jobs or fear of their careers being derailed - that tells me that the corporation/employer has NOT provided a safe, professional work environment for ALL its employees.

It seems to me - based upon news reports - that NBCUniversal has been/is more concerned with protecting their 'stars' (i.e. their bottom line) than they are with providing a safe, healthy, and professional workspace.

If NBC & MSNBC want to be regarded as respectable news outlets, they're going to have to do much better. Let us not forget how quickly Brian Williams was reassigned to another anchor desk after his 'stolen valor' was finally exposed in February 2015. His new position as anchor of "The Eleventh Hour" was launched in September 2016.

IMO, after Williams was exposed as a despicable liar & fired from NBC Nightly News, he shouldn't have been given another job anywhere in the news industry. Instead, he was rewarded with another high-profile anchor job.

Based on NBCUniversal's track record, it doesn't seem as if the head honchos are concerned with how to operate reputable news networks. It seems to me that they're more concerned with covering their tracks (covering their asses) and protecting their stars (again, covering their asses).

I used to watch NBC & MSNBC quite often. Not anymore.

I do, however, like Lester Holt's reporting on NBC Nightly News. I believe he has integrity.

One year after he was fired from NBC, Matt Lauer is reportedly dating several women in the Hamptons while living in his guest house as his divorce progresses.

Thursday will mark a year since the former Today host Lauer was terminated after a female employee accused him of sexually harassing her at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

Now, after beginning divorce proceedings earlier this year with his wife, 51-year-old Dutch model Annette Roque, Lauer, 60, is said to be back playing the field.

'Matt is casually dating several ladies in the Hamptons,' one source told Radar. 'As far as Matt is concerned, he had a consensual affair and he's been punished. Now he's moving forward with his life.'

Matt Lauer reportedly dating several women in the Hamptons | Daily Mail Online

The society itself dictates such a behavior. Just have a look at the article about a 44-year-old Mary Crumpton who opened up about her experience of being in a polyamorous relationship with a husband, fiancé, and two boyfriends. What's this world coming to? I have no idea how to raise kids in such a society..

Wow..they're really kicking him to the curb, aren't they! ^^^^

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janewiththedogs