GUILTY FL - Carlie Brucia, 11, Sarasota, 1 February 2004

Mark Klaas was on t.v. this morning saying that Smith was stopped a few hours after Carlie was reported missing but that the police officer who stopped him didn't yet know that she was missing. Anyone else hear this?

If the superbowl was Sunday February 2nd then yes, the VanDam's woke up that morning to find her missing. Her father put her to bed on Saturday February 1st.

mindys said:
Or he spent the time before the kidnapping and killing, on a drug run.

I believe that the guy who loaned him the offwhite station wagon said that he took it just a short time before the kidnapping took place so the 300 miles cannot have been put on before the abduction.

I missed the information about the haircut. How do we know that he had his hair cut between the time of the abduction and arrest? Did someone who knows him say that?

WOW, Stormonster! The pictures of the "person of interest" in the Shannon Paulk case certainly does look like Joseph Smith. Alabama is nearby. I hope the LE check into this. If Shannon had any DNA on her they will be able to quickly determine if it was Smith.

Angie said:
If the superbowl was Sunday February 2nd then yes, the VanDam's woke up that morning to find her missing. Her father put her to bed on Saturday February 1st.

You know, I remember the dates now, but I can't remember the darned football reference, not that it matters. I was so taken with that terrible case and the emotional trauma of watching those parents...it was just horrendous1

I'm not a sports fan, so it would probably not have made an impact on me anyway if it had been mentioned about the Super Bowl.

In 2001, Smith was arrested for prescription fraud, and that time he did land in prison. He served about 13 months of a 16-month sentence and was released on New Year's Day 2003.

I'm trying to do the math but it doesn't look like he was in prison during August 2001 when Shannon was abducted and killed.

Wonder where he was.

Edited to add: I'm sure that there was no DNA because it took so long to find her. Hopefully there were other clues. LE has been very non-comunicative about anything they've found. There's more about this case in the Heaven Ross thread.

I went into labor on superbowl Sunday for my beautiful little girl. Every superbowl Sunday it's brought to my attention by my husband who had to miss it. Even though the superbowl falls on different Sundays each year it will always be a constant reminder that it was that day they lost their little girls, what a sad day it will be for both Danielles and Carlies parents.

Yes it was 2 yrs. ago on 2/2 that scores of people were searching for little Danielle. This news of Carlies murder on the same day had to be very painful for the VanDams.

I am still praying for strength for Carlie's family and those investigating the case. I appreciate reading the updates.

Sweet Lila said:
Mark Klaas was on t.v. this morning saying that Smith was stopped a few hours after Carlie was reported missing but that the police officer who stopped him didn't yet know that she was missing. Anyone else hear this?

sounds eerily familiar... remember the Polly Klass case and the perp was stopped by police and let go??

The Killer of Polly Klaas:

As Petaluma police searched for Polly, a complaint was made by Dana Jaffe, whom lived twenty-five miles from Polly’s home, that a man was trespassing on her property, and had frightened a girl who babysat for Jaffe. Deputies responded to the call, and met Richard Allen Davis who had gotten his white Pinto stuck in the mud near Jaffe’s residence. The deputies noted that Davis did not seem nervous or at all agitated. While the deputies were suspicious when he replied that he was only “sight-seeing,” they released Davis after running a check for outstanding warrants; Davis had none. Davis did however have an extensive and violent criminal record; the deputies had failed to do a background check. After the deputies helped Davis get his Pinto out of the mud, he was on his way.
http://pub165.ezboard.com/fcrimeandjustice13552frm54.showMessage?topicID=87.topic

I thought I read somewhere that cops stopped Smith standing by the woods and came up asking what he was doing. He said he had just stopped there to pee and they dropped the issue, although I don't know why they wouldn't have cited him for public urination if that was case. :eek:

As the mother of two little boys and living in the country ... we'd be in trouble :blushing:

I guess I could see LE not pressing him for ID and such if they didn't know anyone was missing and he didn't seem suspicious at that time. Even if they'd run his tag, it wouldn't have shown them anything about him.

stormonster said:
I know this is stupid but is their such a citation? Public urination? Not being funny but just wondering.

Well, maybe not a federal law, but part of my job is doing background checks on the volunteers I recruit for my organization. Many of them are college students and I have seen it a couple of times on a record or two. Usually the date of the citation is around football season. ;) Also, I remember people getting in trouble for it during homecoming and other football games when I was in college. I think it's just a fine or something but it does go on people's records in states where it's illegal.

Here in Virginia, people have been convicted of indecent exposure for urinating on the side of the highway in the underbrush. Virginia state troopers are serious guys and gals, and our judges are tough on crime! :)

I don't know if public urination is a charge unto itself in VA, but I know it is in NYC. Remember that little boy who got a ticket in a NYC park when he couldn't wait to get to a restroom?

"Carlie sometimes passed behind his shop on her way home, and the girl's mother dropped by occasionally" said the florist whose shop is between the carwash and Carlie's home.

Mindys has the link on the timeline thread. [Sorry Mindys couldn't get it to copy here and since I am at work I didn't have time to experiment.]

So maybe he had seen her walking before.

Imon - I am also praying for strength for the family and investigators.

I broke down when I saw the footage of her Mother asking for her return. Something about her clutching the cat and the fear in its eyes.... Pets play such as strong role in the lives of those who love them.

I heard this on AMW also but the loacl Sheriff office is denying the report. maybe he seen by a city cop or FHP, or naybe the whole story is made up.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back