MO MO - Melissa Peskey, 40, shot and killed, Boonville, 13 Dec 2018

In short, I don't think so JMHO.

Of course general aviation airports are in most towns, a collaborator/henchman could be waiting ready to take off BUT remember that activities at airports are regulated for safety.

There is a regional airport in Columbia, MO, within 45 minutes of the location; Marshall to the west.

Whiteman Air Force Base w/Stealth bomber is to the west & south of I-70. Surface & air activity monitored, you betcha.

Over an hour to the downtown airport in Kansas City, longer to the international.

(BTW Downtown airport is spooky -- you fly in & out directly over gigantic fuel storage tanks....)

JMHO YMMV
If you are flying you have to have a transponder regardless of whether you actually filed a flight plan. So any flight would be tracked. I would think that any aircraft without one in proximity to Whiteman would provoke an intercept. Law enforcement could easily find such things out.

“Scott White of the Missouri State Highway Patrol. Part of the difficulty in solving the case has been the fact that Peskey was not from the area, White said, meaning investigators have to work harder to gather information from those who knew Peskey in other states, including South Dakota.“

Snip

“He also would not discuss what Peskey's 5- and 11-year-old children, who were in the car with her when she died, may have seen, although he did say that authorities had spoken with them. The children were not hurt.

Authorities also have not disclosed where in the body Peskey was shot, what type of weapon was used, whether the vehicle was in motion at the time of the shooting or where Peskey was going.“

—-

“Merrill tells KELOLAND Investigates that Melissa never indicated she was leaving her job or wouldn't return.”

Snip

“Merrill also said he is surprised he has not been contacted by investigators in the case.”

Missouri Investigators Pursue 92 Leads In Melissa Peskey Murder Case

—-

“Sanderson said Peskey's ability to effortlessly bring joy to other people was what made her so significant.

"Not everyone we see anymore has that genuine ability to make others happy and care about their well being. She did that in all walks of life. I saw that through CMN but also with her kiddos. They were a beautiful family," Sanderson said.”

Snip

“'Life revolved around her children'

In everything that Peskey did, her life revolved around her children. Even if life was "pulling in a million directions," she gave full attention to her children, Sanderson said. That kind of devotion is what Sanderson looks up to as a young mother, and feels Peskey was the "epitome of what a mother should be and do" for her kids.

At a Radiothon fundraiser a few weeks ago for Children's Miracle Network, Peskey's son was writing letters to Santa.

"He wrote a note to his mom too that said, 'Mom, I love you with all my heart and I give you the utmost respect.' For a 5-year-old boy that's pretty incredible and that just shows the pure love they had for their mom," Sanderson said.”

Melissa Peskey devoted life to children and Children's Miracle Network, friend says

Last edited:
If you are flying you have to have a transponder regardless of whether you actually filed a flight plan. So any flight would be tracked. I would think that any aircraft without one in proximity to Whiteman would provoke an intercept. Law enforcement could easily find such things out.

I meant that I don't know whether a person flying a private flight out of Boonville would have to tell them whether they had a passenger on board and if so, who the person was.

They wouldn't have to declare the number of people on board unless a flight plan was filed as far as I know.

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure.

That means somebody from her home area could conceivably hire a plane, or persuade a friend who owned a plane, to fly to the area and not leave much of a paper trail.

Owning a small plane is pretty common out on the plains. Distances are vast and it takes forever to drive. A friend in South Dakota used to hop into their Piper Cub and fly to Rapid City and back for dinner out; driving would have taken all day.

I don't find this of more than hypothetical interest, though. Seems beyond unlikely.

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure.

That means somebody from her home area could conceivably hire a plane, or persuade a friend who owned a plane, to fly to the area and not leave much of a paper trail.

Owning a small plane is pretty common out on the plains. Distances are vast and it takes forever to drive. A friend in South Dakota used to hop into their Piper Cub and fly to Rapid City and back for dinner out; driving would have taken all day.

I don't find this of more than hypothetical interest, though. Seems beyond unlikely.
Well, it is good that it is brought up if only to have a means of including or excluding her husband directly.

I don't know. This murder did happen after, or about the time, that PF was arrested and somehow, it seems people just haven't looked beyond other cases. Very, very little information at all has come out, and there were news stories on this at the beginning and then the media attention stopped.

Do you think it has to do with her not being local to the crime scene? Families tend to drive media exposure - and not much from them. I think LE is working this hard and it will be resolved.
I keep going back to my local case and thinking the outcome will be similar.

I believe there was a juvenile that threatened to shoot up LSE middle school at that time. The juvenile was picked up on the 12th, and I wonder if he was released within 24 hours. On the 13th police had a heavy presence at the middle school in Boonville, and I believe there was a basketball game and chili dinner that night. Is it possible he decided to shoot at people on the interstate when the school shooting was prevented? I would really like to know where that person was around 10:30.

I believe there was a juvenile that threatened to shoot up LSE middle school at that time. The juvenile was picked up on the 12th, and I wonder if he was released within 24 hours. On the 13th police had a heavy presence at the middle school in Boonville, and I believe there was a basketball game and chili dinner that night. Is it possible he decided to shoot at people on the interstate when the school shooting was prevented? I would really like to know where that person was around 10:30.
Wow! Could be!

Do you think it has to do with her not being local to the crime scene? Families tend to drive media exposure - and not much from them. I think LE is working this hard and it will be resolved.
I think it both of those factors. I do think that it is the family, or some interested parties, that keep it in the media. That in turn keeps it on the minds of people that could remember something that they saw.

This case has to be very expensive and complicated because where she lived is halfway across the country, almost, from the scene of the crime which has to make it difficult to investigate.

I could see why that might affect media coverage in town where the incident occurred, but Berreth got national attention, at the very least, why isn’t her home community giving it more attention?

It’s possible, but unlikely. Several things would need to have fallen into place. He would have to have parents that aren’t monitoring him after the initial arrest (that would mean super crappy parents), he would have to find access to a new gun, because presumably any guns he had prior would’ve been confiscated and lastly, he would have to be ballsy. Being released from custody just that day for threatening to shoot people would probably deter most from doing anything similar at least for a little while. Again, not saying it’s not possible, but I do think it’s doubtful. IMO

Very interesting news from KSFY. I wondered if it may have been a local Boonville person, or a hunter that was reckless. The police confirmed the car went through the median cables and came to a rest on the other side. KSFY reporter says the investigators know for certain this is no accident, and whoever pulled the trigger intended to kill Melissa Peskey.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back