Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO, but I think it's extremely likely that Elizabeth Smart had private comforting and healing talks with members of her huge extended family female members who may have experience in counseling. Also, I believe her mother was a great help to her because of her education, faith, and years of living life in this world.

The Smart family adults are all college graduates in varied fields of study according to what I have read in the past. I'm sure it was easier to talk to her mom and maybe an aunt than to someone outside their marvelous close family. They are so very special in all the best ways!

Yes and a couple things that she and her family said were helpful to her was getting back to normal and back in school quickly. That works if the community is super supportive and the kids are kind.

Also, her bishop talked IIRC to her and assured her that she was "pure" before God. That kind of reassurance to a child who might feel otherwise, can be helpful.

Rituals and/or some sort of religious assurances can be therapeutic I think.

I couldn't believe that either, but a search led me to this:
Jayme Closs' grandfather says family doesn't know suspect Jake Thomas Patterson
"Attorneys for Patterson called the affair "a very tragic situation" and said they were relying on the court system to treat him fairly."

I think in this context they are referring to the "affair" being the crime, not the relationship between between the two. Disgusting, but really the attorneys are just trying to do their jobs by glossing over the terribleness of what was done.

Also the attorneys did not use the word affair, the journalist did. The attorneys said this was a “tragic situation.” Obviously no one is going to condone what happens but they have a Constitutional and ethical duty to ensure the accused’s rights are upheld during the prosecution.

^^^^ Why ?

Like there's more to the case that LE isn't divulging ?
As in important evidence ?
One thing is certain ... LE did not 'rescue' her.

They helped rescue her. They came as quick as they could and whisked hew away from the danger that she was still in. They protected the family and neighbor that helped her, while searching for him. They found him within minutes and safely arrested him. So they aided in her rescue, after he escape. JMO

I couldn't believe that either, but a search led me to this:
"Attorneys for Patterson called the affair "a very tragic situation" and said they were relying on the court system to treat him fairly."

I think in this context they are referring to the "affair" being the crime, not the relationship between between the two. Disgusting, but really the attorneys are just trying to do their jobs by glossing over the terribleness of what was done.

Edit: actually, affair isn't even in quotations, so it's possible it is just bad reporting
You may be right that the context was benign, but in our current state of 'alternative linguistics', you have to wonder if this is an early attempt at spin. That would be pretty yucky, indeed.

Thinking about some thoughts here before the miraculous recovery when it was so uncertain what may have become of Jayme.

Her house sits on a busy highway. In some of the interviews before she was located, you could see trucks blowing by.

I also think about the Closs house itself and how it might be a possibility JP was lurking about and looking. There are messed up blinds, where someone could look in, especially if the lights were on inside. That sliding glass door. It makes me wonder if he was outside, stalking. Once the lights were out, he made the decision to blow in the front door with a shotgun.

That’s just one way it could’ve gone down, but with it being dark outside, any lights inside would give him a clear advantage, like looking in a fish bowl. IMO.

You may be right that the context was benign, but in our current state of 'alternative linguistics', you have to wonder if this is an early attempt at spin. That would be pretty yucky, indeed.

Well it won't compare to the rage mode I am going to be in if what I read that his attorney said is correct, did he actually call this an "affair"? WT %$*# ? :mad:

Oh my. This is beyond belief. Did he get a local defender at tax payer expense or are these attorneys either working for free or hired by his parents?

ETA: this spin may not be correct at all. Sorry!

And I think it will be to Jayme’s advantage that this aunt was already a caregiver to her before all this happened.

Absolutely. It would have been sad if she was sent to live with family she didn't know well and was not very close to or familiar with. She was very close to her Aunt and feels very much at home.

The wording in this has me scratching my head.
Your client just killed two people in cold blood with a shot gun and kidnapped a 13 yo for 88 days and your response is "a very tragic situation" and "treat him fairly" ?

I'm not sure that's an attempt to minimize what he did in lawyer speak or if it's an angle at something else?

They helped rescue her. They came as quick as they could and whisked hew away from the danger that she was still in. They protected the family and neighbor that helped her, while searching for him. They found him within minutes and safely arrested him. So they aided in her rescue, after he escape. JMO

She escaped and she is, no doubt about it, the heroine of her own story.

However, Jeanne Nutter knew who she was immediately because of LE. As did the neighbors who lived nearby who kept her in the basement until LE arrived. Can you imagine if they hadn't let her in? If Jeanne hadn't known who she was and didn't act with the urgency she did?

There's something to be said for that.

Could there be any connection between JPs sister and JC through dance or performing arts. Could JP have possibly seen her at an event and then saw her in town years later and started following her? Like she didnt know him but he knew her.

Also the attorneys did not use the word affair, the journalist did. The attorneys said this was a “tragic situation.” Obviously no one is going to condone what happens but they have a Constitutional and ethical duty to ensure the accused’s rights are upheld during the prosecution.
Thanks for pointing this out. It would seem that poor word choice is on CBS, not the attorney(s).

You're both totally right, I noticed that as well after I posted it. I would be curious though who came up with the wording "affair", seems like the ultimate minimization.

I went looking for the attorneys for Jake Patterson and found Charles Glynn and Richard Jones.

When searching the first attorney I found a disciplinary proceeding:
FindLaw's Supreme Court of Wisconsin case and opinions.

Also this article about his license being reinstated:
High court reinstates felon's law license

Last edited:
Unfortunate choice of word by the reporter, imo, and not attorney spin. The defense, almost certainly, will be some sort of mental impairment angle, and to be frank, that argument could have merit, not that it will result in Patterson ever spending a second of his remaining life as a free - for lack of a better word - man.

I take NY Post with a (slight) grain of salt. This article does have some of the facts straight so worth a read, IMO. Gives a bit more insight to JTP though high school classmates and teachers. Also mentions dropping out of boot camp.

Interesting comments:

"He was voted most quiet in his graduating class."

"He didn't go to prom or senior class trip to Florida."

"He didn't speak out in class."

"He never had a girlfriend. He was always a little awkward."

"Made some unsuccessful passes at finding a career - trying the Marines but dropping out of boot camp."

This one especially: "Aside from these forays into the working world, he was basically sitting at home doing nothing, as usual, since graduating."

https://nypost.com/2019/01/12/no-on...terson-in-jayme-closs-kidnapping-murder-case/
Agree. I take everything with a grain of salt but never discount anything unless I have proof. But definitely wouldn't be the 1st time NYP or others like it reported something that larger media reported later. I just think it would have been reported by major outlets by now if true.

Does Jake have a facebook? I haven't found one. Thanks in advance.

Wishing Jayme the best in life. Poor girl.

I also think about the Closs house itself and how it might be a possibility JP was lurking about and looking. There are messed up blinds, where someone could look in, especially if the lights were on inside. That sliding glass door. It makes me wonder if he was outside, stalking. Once the lights were out, he made the decision to blow in the front door with a shotgun.

That’s just one way it could’ve gone down, but with it being dark outside, any lights inside would give him a clear advantage, like looking in a fish bowl. IMO.

I just went to close all my blinds. I never do ... but.
*shivers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member