Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie here. Please be kind. I have read several posts. Trying to figure it out. Regarding a connection between Jayme and JP: There were previous posts a couple of days ago that JP might be a gamer. Did anyone make the connection between Kia Cards and Games? It was a gaming place with fantasy cards that was in the same building as Christine’s dance, where Jayme danced. Many people were here most evenings to participate in games. I wonder if JP frequented this gaming establishment?
Here is a picture of the sign where both businesses were in the same building. I think Kai games closed just before Christmas. They have a Facebook page.
Many speculated about a gaming connection earlier, before the release of documents today even. But JPT has stated he saw her randomly at a school bus stop and began plotting her abduction from that point.

Welcome to Webseuths as well!

Newbie here. Please be kind. I have read several posts. Trying to figure it out. Regarding a connection between Jayme and JP: There were previous posts a couple of days ago that JP might be a gamer. Did anyone make the connection between Kia Cards and Games? It was a gaming place with fantasy cards that was in the same building as Christine’s dance, where Jayme danced. Many people were here most evenings to participate in games. I wonder if JP frequented this gaming establishment?
Here is a picture of the sign where both businesses were in the same building. I think Kai games closed just before Christmas. They have a Facebook page.

We now have access to the official charging documents. The connection is: JP saw JC getting on a bus one day while driving by. That’s all.

Welcome to websleuths!

I think, based on my reading of that document, he didn't know or really care who was in the house or how many people. He just planned to kill whoever else was there besides Jayme.

Respectfully snipped and bolded by me.

He did. One of the Prosecutors - when outlining the reasons why Patterson should not be granted bail - let slip that Patterson had indicated he would have killed child witnesses [other than Jayme] had they been present.

Folks we are going to get back on track discussing the details of Jayme's case. So much information was revealed today with the criminal complaint, JTP's appearance in court and the 911 transcript.

Keep the topics of gun control and masculine toxicity off the thread. If you want to discuss those topics take it to the private conversation/inbox area.

The thread is open again.

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I love this interview with Elizabeth Smart about what she thinks will help JC transition through and beyond this tragedy.... She's really very kind and insightful, and gives a good reminder of how the comments of others can sometimes cause kidnapping victims additional pain....
Kidnap survivor Elizabeth Smart on Jayme Closs’ road to recovery

Respectfully snipped and bolded by me.

He did. One of the Prosecutors - when outlining the reasons why Patterson should not be granted bail - let slip that Patterson had indicated he would have killed child witnesses [other than Jayme] had they been present.
So bizarre. He also said if the cop had pulled him over he would have shot him too. Scary dude, because I just can't think of him as a man. JMO

Charges: Suspect taped Jayme's hands, ankles, dragged her to car
A jailed Patterson appeared Monday afternoon via video hookup in Barron County District Court, where he heard the charges against him in connection with the deaths of James and Denise Closs and the abduction of Jayme, who sought help along a road near Gordon upon escape.

Judge James Babler agreed with the prosecution and set bail at $5 million for Patterson, pointing out the seriousness of the charges, the prospect of spending life in prison if convicted and the great lengths the defendant went to conceal the crimes while a fugitive. The defense requested an unspecified lesser amount.

Decked in full jail orange, Patterson sat at a table with a member of his defense team to his right and the charging document in front of him over the 9-minute hearing and answered every question from the judge calmly and with full understanding. He sat with his hands folded at his waist, adjusting his glasses and rubbing his face.

Prosecutors also said Monday afternoon that additional charges based on unspecified allegations could be coming out of Douglas County, where the Patterson property is located, before the defendant is back in Barron County Circuit Court in Barron on Feb. 6.

I’m wondering if there are any unsolved cases that his DNA might match.

I also wonder about possible attempted or failed abductions previously. Does his physical description match any victim reports?

Are any incidents possibly linked to restraining via tape? (Black tape specifically) Shot in the dark, just a thought...

Any missing young females out of the Duluth greater area that require a closer look? What about other incidents in that area?

How long has he lived alone again? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
A couple things I am doing differently - after reading the complaint - leaving lights on (I’ve had a few on after an intruder and LE told me at that time a well lit home at night outside is a big deterrent), if I hear noises I will not go to the door - will call 911- and hit the alarm button on the vehicle keys for cars in drive - thanks to JC and her courage - she is a survivor

Charges: Suspect taped Jayme's hands, ankles, dragged her to car
A jailed Patterson appeared Monday afternoon via video hookup in Barron County District Court, where he heard the charges against him in connection with the deaths of James and Denise Closs and the abduction of Jayme, who sought help along a road near Gordon upon escape.

Judge James Babler agreed with the prosecution and set bail at $5 million for Patterson, pointing out the seriousness of the charges, the prospect of spending life in prison if convicted and the great lengths the defendant went to conceal the crimes while a fugitive. The defense requested an unspecified lesser amount.

Decked in full jail orange, Patterson sat at a table with a member of his defense team to his right and the charging document in front of him over the 9-minute hearing and answered every question from the judge calmly and with full understanding. He sat with his hands folded at his waist, adjusting his glasses and rubbing his face.

Prosecutors also said Monday afternoon that additional charges based on unspecified allegations could be coming out of Douglas County, where the Patterson property is located, before the defendant is back in Barron County Circuit Court in Barron on Feb. 6.

$5 million bail ay? I realize it's too high for him to make but wouldn't you rather see no bail? I know I would.

JAN 14, 2019
Charges: Suspect said he knew Jayme Closs was 'the girl he was going to take'
OCT. 15 MURDERS, ABDUCTION

On the night of her abduction, Jayme said she was asleep in her bedroom when her dog started barking. She got up to investigate and noticed someone driving up to the house.

Jayme immediately went to her parents’ room and woke them up. Her father, James, went to the front door to see what was going on. After seeing a man with at the door with a gun, she and her mom, Denise, hid in the bathroom in the bathtub and Denise used her cell phone to call 911.

Jayme said she heard a gunshot and knew her father had been killed.

Patterson broke down the bathroom door after 10-15 tries and told Denise to hang up the phone. He took out some black duct tape and told Denise to put it over her daughter’s mouth. When he saw she was struggling, he wrapped the tape around Jayme’s mouth and head himself, and then taped her hands and ankles together.

Then, with Jayme standing bound next to him, Patterson told investigators he picked up the shotgun and shot Denise in the head.

After shooting Denise, Patterson dragged Jayme to his car and put her in his trunk. He then started driving down Highway 8 towards Barron.

Patterson estimated he had only been driving for about 20 seconds when he passed three squad cars with their lights on heading towards the Closs home. Jayme told investigators she also heard the squad cars drive past.

“20 seconds...”

Again, as mentioned in the last thread, all the different possibilities that could have occurred had they gotten there 20 seconds sooner...who knows who would have been dead, Jayme, the cops, JP, so many ways it could have all gone down...

It happened as it happened. But 20 seconds....man.

A couple things I am doing differently - after reading the complaint - leaving lights on (I’ve had a few on after an intruder and LE told me at that time a well lit home at night outside is a big deterrent), if I hear noises I will not go to the door - will call 911- and hit the alarm button on the vehicle keys for cars in drive - thanks to JC and her courage - she is a survivor
Smart things to do for safety measures. It does make you consider things differently.

I just can't even imagine what JC went through. Its tragic enough to be taken from ones family and held by stranger for 88 days of Hell. But imagining it happening after seeing your parents brutally murdered by the person who kidnapped you is just beyond any earthly comprehension! I truly hope that the victim is able to get all the best help she deserves and can live a happy and love filled long life. It just boggles my mind that there are human beings on this earth that are capable of such horrific evil and especially at such a young age of 21yrs old.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if there are any unsolved cases that his DNA might match.

I also wonder about possible attempted or failed abductions previously.

Are any incidents possibly linked to restraining via tape? (Black tape specifically) Shot in the dark, just a thought...

Any missing young females out of the Duluth greater area that require a closer look? What about other incidents in that area?

How long has lived alone again? Thanks in advance.

I’m really interested in the possibility of other attempts or failed attempts. In the document released today, JTP indicated he had went to the Closs home two previous times, with the intent to carry out his plan. One time there were a lot of cars there. The other time lights were on and people were seen awake inside. Makes me wonder if he had others in his crosshairs...

Another thought that came to me as I was typing this. He didn’t pull off his crime until his 3rd attempt. Makes me wonder if this really was his first crime. He had to have things “perfect”. The family being awake was not in his script.

No answers, just a hmmm.

Yes, a young BTK. There is an element of pride and enjoyment in what he accomplished. The main difference is BTK left his victims at the scene, although I think in a later one, he may have transported her to a ditch. I’ll have to go back and look.

It makes me wonder about the age range of the targets. Btk’s got older as he got older. Maybe JP identifies more as a kid getting off the bus stop. So glad he was caught.
I don't think we know enough about him to compare him to BTK. He got sexual gratification in the actual murder of his victims.
Afterwards, he would recreate the crime scene and act out the events in order to relive the experience.

But I do think Patterson seems to show some traits of Anti-social Personality Disorder as well as Narcissistic Tendencies. He gave an awful lot of information and details to detectives in a short period of time. This may be his way of re-living the crime. I wouldn't be surprised if he anticipated going to trial so he can boast about his "accomplishments."
I think he chose a thirteen year old girl because he saw her as vulnerable and easy to control. There is no telling what he would have graduated to had he not been caught. Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire