Found Deceased TX - Lauren Elizabeth Thompson, 32, Panola County, 10 Jan 2019 *called 911, car found in a ditch*

There was a retired school teacher from southeast Texas a few years ago who took an unusual road trip to see a friend up here in East Texas. She somehow wound up in Logansport Louisiana about 30 miles from me. Last seen at Goldens truck stop playing video poker. They said she won around $1,000. Was seen leaving and never seen again. Her car was found not far from there totally burned out. No sign of her. I'll try to find the story and provide a link. But it too in another of those bizzare missing persons stories that didn't get a lot of media coverage.

Jeanette Cousins Watson – The Charley Project

Last edited:
There was a retired school teacher from southeast Texas a few years ago who took an unusual road trip to see a friend up here in East Texas. She somehow wound up in Logansport Louisiana about 30 miles from me. Last seen at Goldens truck stop playing video poker. They said she won around $1,000. Was seen leaving and never seen again. Her car was found not far from there totally burned out. No sign of her. I'll try to find the story and provide a link. But it too in another of those bizzare missing persons stories that didn't get a lot of media coverage.

Jeanette Cousins Watson – The Charley Project
Really, read some of the cold cases on the Texas Rangers website. It is terrifying how many women go missing walking from their home to somewhere else nearby. Very possibly someone at that truck stop may have known she had money and followed her in her car running her off the road, and took her somewhere else. Remember Lillian Desiree Descoteau who lived in Dallas and her body was found nude and murdered on an access road off of I-20 in Hallsville about 5 years ago? Never heard anything else about that case.

I just hope that somehow Lauren was picked up by a good person who took her home, and she doesn't know people are looking for her. All the other scenarios are too terrible to think about. Lots of people are praying for her safe return and believing for a miracle.

Five days and they still haven't found her, how far could she have traveled? The worrisome part is that she thought she was being followed. What doesn't make sense is that if she thought someone was following her, why turn off on a desolate road? I think Lauren is from that area and would be familiar with the gas/oil roads and that they lead to nowhere, so to speak?

They said she sounded confused. Do we know where she was coming from that night? Where had she been and what was she doing that night?

Around 2:30 Thursday afternoon Panola County Dispatch says they received a call from a female that she was in a wooded area and thought someone was chasing her. According to Sheriff Kevin Lake she appeared to be very disoriented and confused.

Editing my post after finding the time of the call. It was still daylight when she called 911. My question stands, where was Lauren prior to 2:30 pm on Thursday? Odd that we haven't heard those details in the media.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the soon to be "ex" has been checked out and cleared?
Lauren lived for quite a while while married in the Crosby and Southeast suburbs of Houston (Pasadena, Deer Park). So he would have to travel a good distance. Since they aren't legally divorced I wonder what the custody arrangement was and whether there was a recent swap scheduled in the time frame, anyone know?

Did she end up in Carthage due to the boyfriend she had moved on to?

Lauren lived for quite a while while married in the Crosby and Southeast suburbs of Houston (Pasadena, Deer Park). So he would have to travel a good distance. Since they aren't legally divorced I wonder what the custody arrangement was and whether there was a recent swap scheduled in the time frame, anyone know?

Did she end up in Carthage due to the boyfriend she had moved on to?
I think they are legally divorced, but the decree is not finalized. Usually, unless the terms of the divorce are decided upon ahead of time, the divorce is granted at the final hearing, but the decree is written based on the judges ruling and the parties may fight that out and a judge finalizes the decree. Since he hasn't been named as a POI, we can't mention very much about him, but probably he wasn't involved. There was a divorce with a child involved, and he did not show up, so you can draw your own conclusions.

As far as her ending up in Carthage, she is a native of the area. Some of the releases mentioned that she had lived in Palestine which is maybe 60 miles from Carthage. I think she has lived here for several years although I don't know exactly when. Often women go back to their "home" area when a relationship falls apart.

She wrecked very near to the FM (Farm to Market Road). It is a paved road. There are lots of houses and barns. She was only 2 miles away from Highway 59 which is a major highway. There were lots of farmhouses and even old deserted barns. There are woods, and the Sabine River is also about 2 miles from there and is way out of its banks; however, I am hoping she might have stopped at one of the houses and called a friend to pick her up since her car was out of commission.

Attachments

• aerial1.JPG
    aerial1.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 67
  • aerial2.JPG
    aerial2.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Another story with quotes from friends
Panola Co. woman missing since last Thursday

Authorities say she seemed confused and disoriented. Once officers arrived to her general area, they found her car stuck in a ditch off of Farm to Market 1794.​

Both friends say she has a history of mental illness and that she's made calls. Before to the police, scared that someone was after her.​

However, in this situation, they believe, she didn't plan her escape.​

"She didn't say anything about going anywhere, she didn't come up with a plan of no kind," Elizabeth said.​

Authorities say she seemed confused and disoriented. Once officers arrived to her general area, they found her car stuck in a ditch off of Farm to Market 1794.​

Both friends say she has a history of mental illness and that she's made calls. Before to the police, scared that someone was after her.​

"She didn't say anything about going anywhere, she didn't come up with a plan of no kind," Elizabeth said.​
This makes worried she was thinking of self harm and she is in a deserted barn around there.

Here is a Google Street View of where the oil lease road intersects with CR 267. The oil lease road is to the left and CR 267 continues on the right. The oil lease road is wider and more open. If I would have a tendency to take the road to the left, because it looks like a better, safer road. Both roads appear to be dirt roads. We have had so much rain, the roads may have been very difficult to drive on. BTW, the Google photo is 2008, so the roads may or may not have been improved since then. This may very well be why she was stuck, at where the intersection is, CR 267 looks sort of scary with the trees growing over it.

Attachments

• CR Lauren.JPG
    CR Lauren.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 104

Well, I'm not sure what to make of what her friends shared. What did they mean by "she didn't plan her escape" or "come up with a plan"? Maybe someone picked her up, and she's off clearing her head, That's not exactly a great way to handle it, but better than the alternative I was thinking possibly occurred.

Reading this article, I think it is very possible she will be found holed up somewhere. Maybe scared. Maybe out of her mind. But it gives me hope she will be found.

Well, I'm not sure what to make of what her friends shared. What did they mean by "she didn't plan her escape" or "come up with a plan"? Maybe someone picked her up, and she's off clearing her head, That's not exactly a great way to handle it, but better than the alternative I was thinking possibly occurred.
I'm with you on this. It happened before 3 pm. How long would it take to ping the phone and find her? A few hours maybe? They were searching by night. She wouldn't have been able to go far. If it were suicide, they would have found a body by now. I can understand her being in a large deserted barn maybe hidden in the hay and afraid to say something. I know that I would be terrified after I had time to calm down if these people had this huge search out for me. I do have concerns about them doing the search since LE has said they don't want this. Evidence could be accidently destroyed. I just hope she is alive.

Another new article ... how far could she have gone in 5 minutes?

Search continues for missing Panola Co. woman

Thompson went missing on January 10th after calling 911. According to the Panola County Sheriff’s Office, Thompson seemed in huge distress and confused as to exactly where she was and felt someone was after her.​

The sheriff’s office was able to get 3 911 pings from close proximity to where the call was coming from. Five minutes after the call ended her car was located.

Almost 9,000 acres has been searched over the last 6 days using helicopters and rescue teams.

The sheriff’s office is focusing on more phone records, paper trails and phone calls to help gather more information as to Thompson’s possible whereabouts.

Another new article ... how far could she have gone in 5 minutes?

Search continues for missing Panola Co. woman

Thompson went missing on January 10th after calling 911. According to the Panola County Sheriff’s Office, Thompson seemed in huge distress and confused as to exactly where she was and felt someone was after her.​

The sheriff’s office was able to get 3 911 pings from close proximity to where the call was coming from. Five minutes after the call ended her car was located.

Almost 9,000 acres has been searched over the last 6 days using helicopters and rescue teams.

The sheriff’s office is focusing on more phone records, paper trails and phone calls to help gather more information as to Thompson’s possible whereabouts.
I had wondered how long it took them to find the car. That is a really fast response time. She couldn't have gone far. Thinking either someone was chasing her, caught her, and grabbed her phone, or someone saw the accident or her, and picked her up. I hope and pray she has not been harmed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back