CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
On Feb 4th, 2010 the McStay Family, Joey, Summer, Gianni, and Joseph Jr vanished from their home. It looked like the family simply got up and left their home never to return.

Law Enforcement was convinced that the McStay family ran away to Mexico.

Patrick McStay, Joey's father, along with other loved ones knew there was no way Joey and his family would never flee to Mexico. There was no reason for this scenario presented by law enforcement.

Up until the remains of the family were found buried in the desert on November 11, 2013, Patrick McStay searched for his son and his family.

Family friend Chase Merritt was arrested for the McStay family murders on Nov 7th, 2014 and finally, Merritt's first-degree murder trial is underway.

The McStay forum is in our private section. However, we are making the discussion of the trial public.

Link to prior threads
#1 CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
Wednesday, January 16th:
*Trial continues (Day 7) (@ 9:30am PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey Jr (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt (57/now 60) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance; plead not guilty. DP case.
12 jurors & 6 alternates were finalized on Tuesday (12/11/18). 8 women & 4 men, while the alternates include 4 men & 2 women. Dec. 19 hearing will focus on evidence & details about possible jury visits to the both the desert grave sites & the McStay family home in Fallbrook. Trial to start 1/7/19.
1/7/19 Day 1: Judge will allow live stream of trial. Judge gives jurors initial instructions. Judge not happy with the number of cameras in the courtroom. Opening statements are done. Trial continues 1/8.
1/8/19 Day 2: State witnesses: Susan Blake (Joseph's mother). Michael McStay (Joseph’s brother). Trial continues on 1/9.
1/9/19 Day 3: Prosecutor tells the judge Mike McStay doesn't want to be shown on camera today. Judge denies request. State witnesses: Jennifer Michley (or Mitchley), former Fallbrook neighbor of the McStays, she is now from out of state. Michael McStay. Trial continues on 1/10.
1/10/19 Day 4: State witnesses: Michael McStay (subject to recall). Bruce Carter, He was security for the San Jacinto Shopping Center mall where the McStay's Isuzu Trooper was towed from on the Mexico Border town of San Ysidro. David Jackson. Jackson worked for the last witness. He was a security guard at the parking where vehicle was owed from. Kathleen Conwell, in 2010 she was an animal control officer for San Diego County. Sgt. Michael Tingley, San Diego Co. Sheriff's Office. In 2010, he was a patrol deputy for the Fallbrook area. Trial continues on Monday, 1/14. Will be dark on Fridays.
1/14/19 Day 5: State witnesses: Jeffrey "McGyver" McCargar (he was friends with Joseph & Summer. He introduced them). Det. Troy DuGal, from San Diego Sheriff's office. Tomorrow 1/15 trial will go from 9:30am to 12 noon, as a juror has an appointment.
1/15/19 Day 6: State witness: Ret. Detective Troy DuGal. Trial continues on 1/16.

Am I spelling the detective's name correctly? Is it DuGal or Dugal - ?? The tweeter person has DuGal.

I've been following this case from the beginning, but I can't remember who GW is, as well as Jarvis, can you help me ?
GW is Gina Watson. She had worked with Joey in the water fountain business, and later became, as I understand it, a beacon light to Patrick McStay into the finances of that business, particularly where Chase Merritt was concerned. Cathy Jarvis is the mother of Chase's three children. I don't believe they were ever married.

Wednesday, January 16th:
*Trial continues (Day 7) (@ 9:30am PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey Jr (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt (57/now 60) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance; plead not guilty. DP case.
12 jurors & 6 alternates were finalized on Tuesday (12/11/18). 8 women & 4 men, while the alternates include 4 men & 2 women. Dec. 19 hearing will focus on evidence & details about possible jury visits to the both the desert grave sites & the McStay family home in Fallbrook. Trial to start 1/7/19.
1/7/19 Day 1: Judge will allow live stream of trial. Judge gives jurors initial instructions. Judge not happy with the number of cameras in the courtroom. Opening statements are done. Trial continues 1/8.
1/8/19 Day 2: State witnesses: Susan Blake (Joseph's mother). Michael McStay (Joseph’s brother). Trial continues on 1/9.
1/9/19 Day 3: Prosecutor tells the judge Mike McStay doesn't want to be shown on camera today. Judge denies request. State witnesses: Jennifer Michley (or Mitchley), former Fallbrook neighbor of the McStays, she is now from out of state. Michael McStay. Trial continues on 1/10.
1/10/19 Day 4: State witnesses: Michael McStay (subject to recall). Bruce Carter, He was security for the San Jacinto Shopping Center mall where the McStay's Isuzu Trooper was towed from on the Mexico Border town of San Ysidro. David Jackson. Jackson worked for the last witness. He was a security guard at the parking where vehicle was owed from. Kathleen Conwell, in 2010 she was an animal control officer for San Diego County. Sgt. Michael Tingley, San Diego Co. Sheriff's Office. In 2010, he was a patrol deputy for the Fallbrook area. Trial continues on Monday, 1/14. Will be dark on Fridays.
1/14/19 Day 5: State witnesses: Jeffrey "McGyver" McCargar (he was friends with Joseph & Summer. He introduced them). Det. Troy DuGal, from San Diego Sheriff's office. Tomorrow 1/15 trial will go from 9:30am to 12 noon, as a juror has an appointment.
1/15/19 Day 6: State witness: Ret. Detective Troy DuGal. Trial continues on 1/16.

Am I spelling the detective's name correctly? Is it DuGal or Dugal - ?? The tweeter person has DuGal.
It's DuGal Niner. Just checked his LinkedIn.

It hasn’t yet been clarified but I believe that there were two QB accounts an older one on the home computer with no internet access and a new cloud version probably set up by DK. I arrived at this conclusion from what was said durning CM’s conversation with the QB support guy and CM’s request to obtain the cloud data so it could be used on the PC desk top version of QB. I once had a dual QB setup and that’s exactly how I did it.

OK - yes that is interesting and the prosecutor definitely said there are 2 accounts.

I think in this case the relevant account must be the cloud one, in order that CM could access it from his own computer using JM's login, and also JM can access from the road, and from his home.

Something that will be fascinating, assuming CM does not testify, is how the defence intend to deny the "Paul Mitchell memo" cheque @ 7.59pm on the 4th, given CM creates, deletes and banks a similar cheque so swiftly on the 5th

Will it be logging error? Or will they seriously contend someone else created it to throw suspicion on CM?

Its all very convenient that the McStays should be murdered in the very couple of days CM was stealing from them

@Tortoise

I hoped DuGar's testimony would extend to an overview on the police theory on the crime scene but it seems that will come from the forensics people.

It wasn't his case when the bodies were found. It went to San Bernadino. If I understand the prelim testimony correctly, he briefed the SB detectives on what went on in the early years, but he was no longer 'involved'. We will have to wait until the SB detectives testify. JMO

Bringing this over from the last thread.

@Unique posted
My understanding from the prelim in June 2015

JM had two online QB accounts with separate email address, these accounts were stored online with QB

The EIP account was created in September 2004
This was JM main account
“Charles Merritt” vendor account was on this account
JM always paid CM from this account

The Custom EIP account was created in January 2008
From January 2008 until February 1st 2010, no checks were written on this account
All checks during that time period were listed on the EIP account
On February 1st 2010 “charles merritt” vendor was created and checks started to be raised
This did not happen from either of the McStay desktop or the laptop

@Texas Red ... is it possible that you are confusing Joey having these 2 accounts with him having 2 different types of quickbooks accounts, cloud and desktop?

I still have to wonder how CM even got access to the quickbooks? He had to have a login to get in and by the looks of it, he did that before the family was even murdered. I just don't know if CM is smart enough to figure something like that out? lol

It wasn't his case when the bodies were found. It went to San Bernadino. If I understand the prelim testimony correctly, he briefed the SB detectives on what went on in the early years, but he was no longer 'involved'. We will have to wait until the SB detectives testify. JMO
There are other detectives, Martinez, Fiste, etc. But they also should have the people who prosessed the Trooper.

Went through the warrants yesterday and it all came back.....CM's sister's place close to the grave site, Cm's Air Card, the computer in Arizona, CM's "Heart Condition", Facebook accounts, etc., etc.
I'm not worried, I believe the prosecution's got this.

@Tortoise

I hoped DuGar's testimony would extend to an overview on the police theory on the crime scene but it seems that will come from the forensics people.

I did want to respond to your post reply to me in the now closed thread.

I am in total agreement that the jurors may be bamboozled by the defense.

For some reason that I can't really explain ....I am always uneasy about any outcome of any CA trial.

Lol! I know this!... they take much longer to complete trials. It makes me worry if any of the jurors will be able to recall and retain important testimony months later but I believe they are allowed to take copious notes so that's good. If any are like me their note taking looks more like a detailed book at the end of trial. Lol

In my own state even high profile death penalty cases on average it's over within 3 or 4 weeks and that includes the sentencing phase if convicted. The judges here believe in working long full days every day without down time.

They are even known to work right through weekends at times. Even on Sundays the judge will have the jury report after church time is over in order to expedite the trial time.

No doubt this case is much harder than it would have been if SD had not believed the family left willingly although to this very day that assumption still haunts me for it never made any logic sense. Imo

Do we know the ages of all of the jurors? Do you know if both sides hired a jury consultant?

I really hope that all of these jurors possess good common sense and logic. CE is revealing and very weighty but if one doesn't have the ability to link each CE fact together that can be a problem for the state.

If there are those like that on the jury then I hope there will be many other jurors that will be able to lay it out succinctly for them where they fully understand it all and how to apply it.

In most all criminal cases Occams Razor can be applied. Most cases are exactly how they appear to be.

Thank you again MrJ for joining all of us as we go through this long trial.

I don't post nearly as much as others in this case but I do read all posts daily and I am continuing to follow this case closely every day of trial.

Jmo

Last edited:

Ah of course you are correct. I am being a muppet.

It's a bit of a shame the prosecution have to lead on such a weak witness instead of getting to the core of the case

Hi and welcome!

Even the prosecution told the jury in the opening statements that they aren't sure either ;-)

Do you have a timecode for this (from the YouTube address?

I watched that thing about 3 times now but I missed this

Bringing this over from the last thread.

@Unique posted
My understanding from the prelim in June 2015

JM had two online QB accounts with separate email address, these accounts were stored online with QB

The EIP account was created in September 2004
This was JM main account
“Charles Merritt” vendor account was on this account
JM always paid CM from this account

The Custom EIP account was created in January 2008
From January 2008 until February 1st 2010, no checks were written on this account
All checks during that time period were listed on the EIP account
On February 1st 2010 “charles merritt” vendor was created and checks started to be raised
This did not happen from either of the McStay desktop or the laptop

@Texas Red ... is it possible that you are confusing Joey having these 2 accounts with him having 2 different types of quickbooks accounts, cloud and desktop?

I still have to wonder how CM even got access to the quickbooks? He had to have a login to get in and by the looks of it, he did that before the family was even murdered. I just don't know if CM is smart enough to figure something like that out? lol

Maybe he was given the logins in order to add vendor expenses etc?

Went through the warrants yesterday and it all came back.....CM's sister's place close to the grave site, Cm's Air Card, the computer in Arizona, CM's "Heart Condition", Facebook accounts, etc., etc.
I'm not worried, I believe the prosecution's got this.

Can you please develop this a bit?

Some of us are playing catchup so the detail and links to primary dox are appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82