Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
So was looking for a black SUV a needle in a haystack, just saying. And the Taurus was passed by LE per the perp within 20 seconds of him leaving the driveway? It could be a witness in the area if nothing else. The SUV had no plates provided either two possible models and a wide range of years. Not getting down on LE maybe there was a good reason, just think it should be looked at in hindsight and for future cases (of which in a perfect world, there would be none)... But it is easier to be an armchair quarterback...

I think after seeing that the Taurus yielded for them to pass, they just figured that the person driving it was a good law abiding citizen who may have been on a joy ride that night, and couldn't of possibly of had anything to do with the murders, or have seen or provided any information that could help solve them.

I would like to know where the info from the other cars came from?

The neighbors possibly?

Also, when we look at the areas that were chosen for the search, it was always in the opposite direction from where the deputies would have had to of driven to get to the Closs house that night.

Why these areas?

Last edited:
The comments are flying so fast kinda hard to keep up. Is there a fund set up to donate to for Jayme?

lol exactly my point. i will bet money the old red ford tauruses are around but that a black black SUV is far more common.

Picking the red car to drive reminds me of Joe Duncan who chose a bright red jeep to drive when he murdered 3 and kidnapped Shasta and Dylan.

Imo

BBM
I wonder what the mask looked like when he went in the Closs home. I've always imagined it was ski mask but now I'm wondering.
It's a common mask for extreme temps, also could have contributed to a tactical LE assumption by James. Here's a sample
41WPhOEKTpL._SY450_.jpg

I’m not sure where you are getting that Stockholm Syndrome is incredibly rare or that it’s unfair to victims.

It’s a very real survival technique. Way earlier in Jaymes thread I talked about the fact that there are the known physiological responses “ fight and flight”. However there are two lesser known responses and those are “freeze and fawn.”

It’s believed about 8% of people react to captive trauma with what has been called “Stockholm syndrome”. Which can be relabeled as fawning or trauma bonding which occurs with a VERY high frequency in any prolonged abuse situation (not just captivity) . It’s where victims develop a psychological alliance with their captor as a survival strategy.

There’s nothing wrong with this. I know Elizabeth Smart really hated the term but as someone who has been held captive by a diagnosed sociopath ; it’s exactly what I did and what most end up doing when the other surivival methods aren’t working. Going along with what he wanted, praising his intelligence, agreeing to his suggestions, etc. I also vehemently hated him the entire time. Fawn response isn’t exclusive of hating your captor and wanting out.

I also did not take presented opportunities to flea. Trust me, you beat yourself up over that part or others do it for you. This survival response also doesn’t take any degree of time. Especially if your brain has already dveloped patterns of “fawn” being a default response from other traumas in your life.

(See also; Why domestic violence victims often don’t “just leave”. The reason is often a form of trauma bonding.)

Respectfully, Jayme DID take advantage of an opportunity to flee. I'm not willing to play arm chair psychologist and place labels on her or Elizabeth Smart or any child victim of emotional trauma.

Stockholm Syndrome is a common plot device in movies and books. But the psychological phenomenon—which was made famous in 1974 by Patty Hearst (above), the heiress who was kidnapped but later participated in a bank robbery with her captors, the Symbionese Liberation Army—is much more rare in real life. This makes it hard for experts to study, and even prompts them to question whether Stockholm Syndrome is actually a syndrome.

Experts Still Don't Understand Stockholm Syndrome

I'm not necessarily believing he ever took off the original plates.

I am wondering what if any other vehicles were modified or if most everything he said is a lie. Per the perp and who knows if it is true, he made two other attempts but left because of too many cars the Closses, etc. So he never messed with the trunk release, dome light, etc. before the night of the actual abduction yet was going to abduct her on those other occasions without having done that?? Or was he in a different vehicle? Because he states he pulled over that night to do those things to his car. I do not believe half of his story at least. He is playing cat and mouse, as someone, maybe it was you, put it.

Regarding the confusion about what was said during the 911 call about people coming over to the house/people knowing JC was there:

http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/jayme+closs+complaint.pdf

J.L.C. stated that sometimes Patterson would have friends and/or relatives over. J.L.C. stated that Patterson made it clear that nobody was to know she was there or bad things would happen to her. In order to hide the fact that J.L.C. was there, Patterson made J.L.C. hide under his bed in his bedroom. J.L.C. stated Patterson’s bed was in one corner of his bedroom. When he made her hide under his bed, J.L.C. stated he stacked totes and laundry bins around the bed with weights (like weights for barbells) stacked against them so she could not move them without his being able to detect it if she did. One time, J.L.C. stated she accidentally moved one of the totes when she was told to hide under the bed and Patterson told her something bad would happen if she did it again. J.L.C. stated Patterson would turn music on in his room so she couldn’t hear what was happening if there was anyone else in the house with him..

And:

“The defendant stated that, when his father would come to the house, which was typically on Saturdays, he would make J.L.C. go under the bed where he again would put the totes and the weights in front of it. The defendant stated he would turn up the radio in his room to cover up any noise that J.L.C. might make.”

The Patterson house looks pretty decent sized. If JP was the only person living in the house (?) why was his room in the crappy basement with a tiny twin bed? Or was he using a larger, master bedroom upstairs until the Jayme abduction? How much of the house did he truly control and use (versus daddy who came over) and clearly others leaving their cars in the driveway. I doubt JP was insured to use sister’s car. Bet she wasn’t pleased to find out how JP used her car for bad deeeds.
We have only seen pictures of ground floor rooms through windows. That room with the bed does not have any of the bins or weights visible.

I believe Jayme was kept in an upstairs room.

I am wondering what if any other vehicles were modified or if most everything he said is a lie. Per the perp and who knows if it is true, he made two other attempts but left because of too many cars the Closses, etc. So he never messed with the trunk release, dome light, etc. before the night of the actual abduction yet was going to abduct her on those other occasions without having done that?? Or was he in a different vehicle? Because he states he pulled over that night to do those things to his car. I do not believe half of his story at least. He is playing cat and mouse, as someone, maybe it was you, put it.

The stolen plate was recovered from his home.

See page 12, list of some of the 89 pieces of evidence recovered:
http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/jayme+closs+complaint.pdf

Quite honestly I would like to see the dashcam vids of the 3 sheriff's vehicles. Hwy 8 between the Closs place and Barron is all 2 lane. Further west of Closs sometime there is an extra lane. But being it is 2 lane only, when JP yielded to LE he would have pulled off on the shoulder but that is still close enough to get a decent video of the car. JP mentioned 20 seconds before LE and that would not have got him far enough east, into Barron, where the street lights start. But a number of places in Barron, such as the McDonalds, the truck stop, CVS, the Kwik-Trip, (which is always very busy) and I'm sure a bunch more would have cams, just don't know if they would have them on the street, Hwy 8. I'm guessing being he was brave enough to go through Barron he probably just kept going straight east on Hwy 8, about 5 miles, to Hwy 53, a 4 lane going north straight to Gordon. I would guess that going back over all the videos, with what they know now, they would be able to make out JP's car.

I wonder and would guess they asked him his route but it is not in the complaint which never tells all does it, more will come out probably down the line. He could have turned left at the edge of Barron proper and taken the back way to and down 25 (where a search was some time later staged interestingly enough) and then got on Highway 53 at the Highway 48 in Rice Lake on ramp. Or taken a number of back roads. He could get around going through Barron but I wonder, like you, did he drive casually right through Barron to the Highway 8 on ramp to 53? I too though would like to know if Kwik Trip, etc. cameras were looked at off the bat. I do not know how their street views are (but with all of the gas drive offs, one would think they would have pretty decent ones and Barron is two lane now isn't it where it used to be four so a good pic is a pretty good possibility?) A few weeks ago, a Kwik Trip in Cumberland has a very clear photo of someone at their door police were looking for. An extremely clear in color close-up. Made me wonder if their cameras all around are that good...

Respectfully, Jayme DID take advantage of an opportunity to flee. I'm not willing to play arm chair psychologist and place labels on her or Elizabeth Smart or any child victim of emotional trauma.
Stockholm Syndrome is a common plot device in movies and books. But the psychological phenomenon—which was made famous in 1974 by Patty Hearst (above), the heiress who was kidnapped but later participated in a bank robbery with her captors, the Symbionese Liberation Army—is much more rare in real life. This makes it hard for experts to study, and even prompts them to question whether Stockholm Syndrome is actually a syndrome.
Experts Still Don't Understand Stockholm Syndrome

The problem isn't does "Stokholm Syndrome" exist. The problem is applying that cinematic label vs a psychological term (which in this case is trauma bonding aka fawn response)

It's a matter of terminology made popular by a movie not an argument of "does it exist". The term "gaslighting" was also cinematic label. However, it's absolutely an abusive technique. I know few people that would argue that.

Stokholm Syndrome and gaslighting aren't terms used as diagnoses and are often rejected by psychology because of their origins. However, their non cinematic equivalents (trauma bonding and manipulation) are and have been studied at great length.

To be fair, other than one or two brief statements what occurred in that house in those 88 days aside the method he used to restrain her and her ability or attempts to escape ; pretty much remains a mystery.

I'm on the opposite end of this spectrum. While I suspect that there was plenty of terrorizing I also suspect that there were attempts at "normalcy" or him faking kindness. The monopoly game as an example of this. I don't believe that he ever intended to murder Jayme. He viewed her as his "prize" imo. I think her first escape attempt would have resulted in serious injury if that was his end game.

Dad supposedly stopped every Saturday or something per Jayme in one article. Wouldn't he wonder who his son was playing Monopoly with? Or for that matter, they may have been playing it together (dad and son)... Just saying that like with everything else, who knows...

Not sure if this has been mentioned before so sorry if I’m repeating this. I just wondered if anyone who was here from Thread 1, from the beginning thinks he may have posted here on WS. I know it would be pretty impossible to tell.

He just seems like the type to get involved with a topic that he would see as being all about him judging from his statement - he definitely thinks he’s something. I imagine he definitely at least read this thread - he’s a psychopath.
Definitely a possibility IMO

We have only seen pictures of ground floor rooms through windows. That room with the bed does not have any of the bins or weights visible.

I believe Jayme was kept in an upstairs room.
I agree that’s likely not the bedroom. To me, it appears the box springs and mattress are on the floor and there is no space under the bed. Compare it to the door next to it, the small totes next to it, and the level of the electrical outlet on the right and I don’t think this is it.

This case is the ultimate scary. In other cases one could say that there were things that did apply to them.

But this could happen to anyone. Some psycho picks you out. Totally inknown to you for any reason.

The thought of it is beyond horrifying.

There were plenty of signs that he was “off” .

Here were I live in a Third World country there are some American males that do not work who are in their late 20’s. Their families are rich and support them. People make dun of them living off of mommy, but we see it as entitled spoiled boys. It seems more accepted here that they can travel and do nothing. It is not considered pathological just ridiculous. There are several Americans who do nothing but live off of trust funds. To me it is interesting to how doing nothing is a topic of conversation but not considered unacceptable. I imagine it is the same all over in vacation areas that have been chosen by well to do.

What were the many signs you've read/heard about that convince you he was "off"?

One of his classmates said he was withdrawn/a loner/pretty silent, but on the other hand, one of his teachers said he was quiet and unremarkable, but DID have friends.

He didn't last through basic training in the Marines, but that could have been for any number of reasons, including an inability/unwillingness to accept authority or just plain laziness, lack of motivation/ self discipline.

He seems to have a horrid work history, but he was only 21, had no special skills, and lived in a very rural area with very few available jobs of any kind, including entry level.

His grandfather said he was played computer games a lot, but that isn't unusual at all for a young man is age (or even older).

I'd be unhappy and likely worried if my own son couldn't get it together better at that age, but without more indications something was seriously wrong, I can't imagine concluding he would be capable of harming anyone, much less of proudly committing horrific crimes against strangers.

What is most scary to me is that the signs don't seem to have been there, at least that we know about so far.

BBM
I wonder what the mask looked like when he went in the Closs home. I've always imagined it was ski mask but now I'm wondering.

It's a common mask for extreme temps, also could have contributed to a tactical LE assumption by James. Here's a sample.
41WPhOEKTpL._SY450_.jpg

From the criminal complaint:

”The defendant stated, on what he thought to be his second and last day of employment at Saputo Cheese, he purchased a black colored balaclava type mask from Walmart, in Rice Lake. The defendant stated he purchased the mask as part of his plan to conceal his identity when he took J.L.C.”

(BBM)

Thank you.

The mental chains of paralyzing fear is much stronger than any binding material ever made.

Imo

Well said; indeed.

For those of us who grew up in the often romanticized as "blissfully wholesome" decades post WWII (50's-70's), we recall the sudden genesis of the "milk carton kids". We realized the collective paralyzing fear as the 80's ushered in so-called "helicopter parenting" in response to the wave of cable news stories about far away missing, later found assaulted, raped, tortured and some decapitated, kids.

The ripple-effect goes well beyond the perpetrator, the victim(s), the community and even a nation. The entire planet can rapidly be compelled to forever change by a single, brutal act of violence.

As I try to balance this extreme negative with anything positive, as difficult as it is under the circumstances; it is true that violent crime has fallen nearly in half since it peaked in the mid-70's. But still at a grave emotional/psychological cost. So many innocent lives given for us to learn the hash reality of human suffering, and so many adventurous childhoods sacrificed. Our kids may be safer, yet they are still not safe.

I'm sorry, I can't talk'

JPs father, spoke to CNN's Jean Casarez at the Barron County Justice Center on Tuesday. He said he was there to pass along a note to the Closs family.

"All I care about right now is Jayme's family. I want to get them a note," he said, declining to provide more details on the letter and apologizing for not being able to say more.

Father of kidnap suspect has a letter for Jayme Closs' family - CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members