MO MO - Melissa Peskey, 40, shot and killed, Boonville, 13 Dec 2018

As relatively flat as that stretch of highway is- I wonder exactly HOW the vehicle came to a stop? I wonder if one of the kids woke up as a result of the crossing the median and put in park?

I’ve been wondering how long they were on the road after the shooting before someone saw he vehicle and called it in (need to go back)—poor kids would have been in the car with their dead mother—-

Refresh my memory, nobody called from the car right, as in kids calling from cellphone?

Who killed Melissa Peskey?

“Who killed Melissa Peskey?
Investigators looking into the December 13th shooting death of Melissa Peskey in Missouri say they are reviewing similar cases in Georgia and Texas to see if there could be a connection.”

melissa+peskey.jpg

“It has been 32 days now since a Sioux Falls area realtor was murdered.”

Snip

“Mile marker 96 on Interstate 70 in Missouri is unremarkable.
Traffic flows by. A lot of it is over the road truckers looking to make a drop off.
You would consider it just another stretch of road if not for what happened here in the late evening hours of December 13th.
Someone committed murder.

"She was eastbound, crossed through the median, through the median cables and her vehicle came to a final rest here behind me." Sergeant Scott White with the Missouri State Highway Patrol tells me Melissa Peskey was driving her car with her two kids inside...and that for a reason they don't yet know or understand...someone with a gun aimed it at her then pulled the trigger. When officers arrived at the scene they found her kids unharmed but she was dead. "This was a young mother traveling down the highway, minding her own business, not doing anything wrong and she was shot and she was killed. So it's an absolute tragedy and that's one of the reasons that we are....this is our primary focus right now is to find out....find out who killed her."“

Last edited:
“At the outset investigators said there were three possibilities for this case: that Melissa Peskey's shooting was some kind of accident. That Melissa Peskey's shooting was intentional and that the gunman knew her or that this shooting was some kind of random act that played out on a Missouri interstate. One month later; investigators say for certain this was no accident and that whoever pulled the trigger of the gun on that night intended to kill Melissa Peskey.“

I’ve been wondering how long they were on the road after the shooting before someone saw he vehicle and called it in (need to go back)—poor kids would have been in the car with their dead mother—-

Refresh my memory, nobody called from the car right, as in kids calling from cellphone?
It hasn't been said as far as I know.

“At the outset investigators said there were three possibilities for this case: that Melissa Peskey's shooting was some kind of accident. That Melissa Peskey's shooting was intentional and that the gunman knew her or that this shooting was some kind of random act that played out on a Missouri interstate. One month later; investigators say for certain this was no accident and that whoever pulled the trigger of the gun on that night intended to kill Melissa Peskey.“

Seems relevant that Sioux Falls TV news sent a reporter down to Boonville to do a follow up story. The reporter talked a lot about people sending in tips, they even posted MSP tip line phone number on the screen.

JMO, it looks like the MSP is trying to generate tips from people in the Sioux Falls area.

Has there been any statement about what the kids have to say? I find it odd that they haven’t even mentioned interviewing them. Even if they both were asleep when it happened & have no input, you would think LE would say as much.

“He also would not discuss what Peskey's 5- and 11-year-old children, who were in the car with her when she died, may have seen, although he did say that authorities had spoken with them. The children were not hurt. “

(Link source/qmfr):
“Scott White of the Missouri State Highway Patrol. Part of the difficulty in solving the case has been the fact that Peskey was not from the area, White said, meaning investigators have to work harder to gather information from those who knew Peskey in other states, including South Dakota.“

Snip

“He also would not discuss what Peskey's 5- and 11-year-old children, who were in the car with her when she died, may have seen, although he did say that authorities had spoken with them. The children were not hurt.

Authorities also have not disclosed where in the body Peskey was shot, what type of weapon was used, whether the vehicle was in motion at the time of the shooting or where Peskey was going.“

—-

“Merrill tells KELOLAND Investigates that Melissa never indicated she was leaving her job or wouldn't return.”

Snip

“Merrill also said he is surprised he has not been contacted by investigators in the case.”

Missouri Investigators Pursue 92 Leads In Melissa Peskey Murder Case

—-

“Sanderson said Peskey's ability to effortlessly bring joy to other people was what made her so significant.

"Not everyone we see anymore has that genuine ability to make others happy and care about their well being. She did that in all walks of life. I saw that through CMN but also with her kiddos. They were a beautiful family," Sanderson said.”

Snip

“'Life revolved around her children'

In everything that Peskey did, her life revolved around her children. Even if life was "pulling in a million directions," she gave full attention to her children, Sanderson said. That kind of devotion is what Sanderson looks up to as a young mother, and feels Peskey was the "epitome of what a mother should be and do" for her kids.

At a Radiothon fundraiser a few weeks ago for Children's Miracle Network, Peskey's son was writing letters to Santa.

"He wrote a note to his mom too that said, 'Mom, I love you with all my heart and I give you the utmost respect.' For a 5-year-old boy that's pretty incredible and that just shows the pure love they had for their mom," Sanderson said.”

Melissa Peskey devoted life to children and Children's Miracle Network, friend says

Well, this just happened early this morning. Not anything in the article to indicate that the person was shot from outside the vehicle but nothing that says it didn't happen that way either.
Woman is found shot and killed in car wrecked on I-70 in Kansas City’s downtown loop

Heres a link and quote for reference upstream on KC and 1-70 shootings from background research notes:

(Qmfr)
“It is not known at this time if Melissa was targeted or if the shooting was random.“

Death of South Dakota woman involved in I-70 crash near Boonville ruled a homicide : KMZU

Ok while we are waiting for more information, I’m going to start exploring the angle of a random shooting.

Alright so, ”Bonnville, MO”, never heard of it.

So googling “random freeway shooting missouri”, let’s see what comes up.

Also note to find @Forager ‘s amazing spreadsheet on vehicle shootings, not sure when the last update was, probably a couple years but an incredible reference no doubt.

Background research notes:

Police: Suspect in custody in Kansas City-area highway shootings
Thu April 17, 2014
https://www-m.cnn.com/2014/04/17/us...ngs/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/&rm=1

—-

Series of shootings on KC-area highways not linked, police say
SEPTEMBER 25, 2017

How far is KC? Looking it up.

ETA: Straight shot on the highway it appears:

1 h 34 min (103.1 mi)
via I-70 W

From the above link from 2017:

“On a Saturday night about a month ago, a woman was out celebrating her birthday with her mother when two cars sped past them as they traveled on Interstate 435.

They heard a popping noise, pulled over and the woman discovered a bullet had struck her leg.

Since then, several more incidents have occurred on Kansas City highways in which people in cars have been hit by gunfire. Police say at least 10 shootings have occurred since Aug. 17 on Bruce Watkins Drive, U.S. 71 and Interstate 435, mostly on the city’s east and south sides.“

—-

Okay looking going back now to see exactly where Melissa was shot.

Per the below post the mile marker is:

“The location of the accident was on I-70 Eastbound near mile marker 96”.

Hmmmmmm....pulling up DOT mile marker map or similar reference:
Maps | Missouri Department of Transportation

—-

Boonville, Missouri - Wikipedia

“Geography
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.21 square miles (18.67 km2), of which 6.89 square miles (17.85 km2) is land and 0.32 square miles (0.83 km2) is water.”

—-

Boonville, MO Topographic Map - TopoQuest

Alright appears to be Cooper County:

“Elevation of Boonville, MO, USA

Location: United States > Missouri > Cooper County > Boonville Township >

Longitude: -92.743241

Latitude: 38.9736392

Elevation: 204m / 669feet“

Worldwide Elevation Finder

“Cooper County, Missouri
Cooper County is a county located in the central portion of the U.S. state of Missouri. Snip Its county seat is Boonville. Wikipedia
Largest city: Boonville

—-
Boonville, MO - Boonville, Missouri Map & Directions - MapQuest

—-
Link local LE-
——

Police Investigating Shots Fired on James River Freeway, No One Injured

How far is the above location? Looking it up.

——

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie