Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
The great tragedy of our mental health system is that a person, child or adult, has to commit a crime before they are separated from society in any meaningful way. Insurance plans for mental illness offer in-patient care only if a person is a danger to himself or others. They stabilize with medications without getting to the root of a mental illness, often keeping the patient from a couple to 30 days. I'm sure there are exceptions but I haven't heard of them.

I didn't realize the Jennie O job was 3 years ago. I wonder if there are any unsolved crimes from that time frame.

I still don't believe him. At all. I think the family annihilation was just as important to him as abduction - if not more.
IMO he just wanted to kill and take a hostage and might have been his first go at being a career criminal. I guess they do start somewhere. And if Jayme hadn't escaped from him god only knows what he would of done to her in the long term. So glad she managed to escape because others never had that opportunity sadly.

RBBM

This is so typically you! Not just well educated, but the added bonus of a high emotional intelligence. I often admire your thoughtful posts.

I was the victim of robbery, sexual assault, false imprisonment, etc. in my own home, in the middle of the night. By a stranger who broke in. I wasn't a child, though. And I didn't witness my parents murders...

I had/have wonderful family support, years of counseling, a conviction of the "bad man."

But you hit the nail on the head - when you seem to be recovering well, you get all kinds of positive comments and admiration. It can feel like a let-down to your loved ones if your not "doing great".

It's too much to type from my phone....but wanted to say that a kind note from you may be more important to her than you ever know.

Hugs! Go, girl!

Aww!! Thanks for the compliment! Really nice to hear.

When I heard this 911 call I was confused as to why the operator asked if JC was "running". No one has brought it up, but yet I'm still confused by why she would ask such a question. .
I remember she said "Does it look like she's going to run?", and I think it was because she didn't have a grasp on the full situation. I think she was asking if Jayme looked like she was going to run away from them.

Still critiquing the dispatcher? Really?

I’ll just say this... if ever I’m abducted - say by a rogue gang of middle aged women - and I’m able to procure my escape, I hope it’s in Douglas County, WI. Same neighbors. Same dispatcher. Same deputies. Then, after the smoke clears, I’ll log on here and read all about how inept my rescuers were. :rolleyes:

I’m almost tempted to start-up gravel chat (for old time’s sake).

I grew up in the sticks and right after breakfast we were booted outside to “to play”. About the only rule was “stick together” (siblings and neighbor kids). It was SO great.

But I digress . . .point is, nature was our canvas as we created adventures. I recall around age five finding a dead animal in a field. I can’t remember what kind of animal it was, something small and furry (perhaps a rabbit). I was initially horrified when I came upon it. Still, every day, I’d be curious and go back to just look at it. I did that until there was nothing left. Zip.

Sitting through a church service homily at a funeral, I heard the priest pray “from ashes to ashes and dust to dust” and I spoke right up telling Mom about the dead animal and how it became dust. Chuckles all around . . .

I remember finding a dead coyote in the desert. It was totally flat. Dessicated by the desert. Just flat as paper. It was incredible.

But I guess it's not the point that someone can be into dead things and not be a creep, or into taxidermy and not be a creep, or into video games and not be a nut, or be socially awkward but not a nut, or be a loner but not insane, etc. Etc.

It's that HE was apparently all these things. And he murdered two people and kept their daughter captive. You know what I mean?

Then the question would be why didn't he prepare a place to keep her? Ariel Castro boarded all the windows shut, and chained them to beds. This guy just stuffed her under a bed and put boxes around it. He planned every part of the crime in detail, except how to keep her from escaping.

He did prepare a place, it was under his bed as we all have learned from what has been released. Your suggestion that he failed to prepare a place to "keep her" is incorrect from what I have read/learned. Also, just to note, Castro's victims did escape, so does that mean Castro did not prepare a place "to keep them"?

Haven't heard the call so not sure if the dispatcher was asking certain questions to better relay the situation to LE?

She was. And there was also an LE official breaking in and asking her to ask questions. They took it VERY seriously immediately. IMO. Stellar job.

You should listen to the call. It's incredible. I think you can hear Jayme talking calmly in it. And hear how the people surrounding her were talking calmly. But you know inside everyone was scared shipless.

In the end the woman who found her sounds like she begins to cry with relief when the officers get there.

It was a remarkable call. Had me on tenterhooks the whole time even thought they I knew the outcome.

Great job by all involved.

Exactly. And that is what the police officer said. I believe the paramedics were at the house, but with this guy still on the loose they couldn't take any risks. First responders are not trained to fend off dangerous criminals. Imo

If I was in Jayme's position I wouldn't feel safe except with the cops.

He did prepare a place, it was under his bed as we all have learned from what has been released. Your suggestion that he failed to prepare a place to "keep her" is incorrect from what I have read/learned. Also, just to note, Castro's victims did escape, so does that mean Castro did not prepare a place "to keep them"?
Yeah, but his plan was haphazard, almost like a complete afterthought.

The meticulous lengths that he went to in order to cover his tracks at the murder scene, don’t seem to jibe with his actions after he kidnapped Jayme.

Yes, Castro’s victims did escape, but that is not evidence that he didn’t prepare a place to keep them.

He did, it was ultimately ineffective.

UIKEYINPUTRIGHTARROWUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrow
I remember finding a dead coyote in the desert. It was totally flat. Dessicated by the desert. Just flat as paper. It was incredible.

But I guess it's not the point that someone can be into dead things and not be a creep, or into taxidermy and not be a creep, or into video games and not be a nut, or be socially awkward but not a nut, or be a loner but not insane, etc. Etc.

It's that HE was apparently all these things. And he murdered two people and kept their daughter captive. You know what I mean?

I know what you mean. Others have bought forth examples as well of rural life and the art (and appreciation) of taxidermy. Aside from one article mentioning it, taxidermy is a sidebar to this case.

This is probably a shallow thing for me to say, but I mean it as an unqualified compliment. ALL the women on the 911 call sounded calmer than any serious 911 call I've ever heard in my life!

It was like the two ladies who'd worked in the Social Worker type areas had attended a ton of crisis response seminars. And Jayme, just so calm and collected and that reflects so well on her absolute core character. She was so stressed and she was still gracious, kind, no profanity, very helpful.

The Closs's must have had a really sweet loving home together. Breaks my heart all over again to think about that precious little family being destroyed.
I was thinking the same. If I were those two women, I would have been losing my mind. Props to them for keeping things calm and logical.

I didn't realize the Jennie O job was 3 years ago. I wonder if there are any unsolved crimes from that time frame.

I still don't believe him. At all. I think the family annihilation was just as important to him as abduction - if not more.
He isn't just a creep, abductor and a family annihilator. Is he not a pedophile? I believe that sickness and his obsession with Jayme supersedes every other detail in this story. JMO.

I was thinking the same. If I were those two women, I would have been losing my mind. Props to them for keeping things calm and logical.

In separate interviews, it was noted that both women were emotionally consumed by the experience (Who can blame them for that?!?) The social worker used her life training to manage the situation when she came upon Jayme, kept calm to keep Jayme calm. She knew her cabin was adjacent to JP’s and her entrance faced the woods which was not where they needed to go which is why they opted for another neighbor’s home.

The dispatcher pretty much collapsed on her desk when it was over. Both women did an outstanding job of managing the situation.

He isn't just a creep, abductor and a family annihilator. Is he not a pedophile? I believe that sickness and his obsession with Jayme supersedes every other detail in this story. JMO.
I agree, I think that is very important here.

She was the ultimate goal.

She was thirteen.

I do believe that qualifies.

I thought they were addressed immediately. Didn't they send emergency medical personnel right away? Isn't that what they are trained to do? Treat people in shock or who are seriously injured?
I can't believe they would take her to the police station and neglect to have her treated. Where is this information coming from? Imo

It's nonsense. Of course they took her immediately to the hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288