GUILTY Australia - Aiia Masarwe, 21, Israeli exchange student, murdered, Melbourne, Jan 2019 *ARREST*

I suppose I'm sick of dulling down everything I'd rather hear and deal with the awful circumstance so we can move forward to protect future victims. And out the offenders. Scares the hell out if me that they have a list of potential known sex offenders as prospective suspectsr eady to go - everyone's reality I know..

Having a mental health issue isn't the same as having criminal convictions though......I know you arent saying having mental illness makes you violent but it really goes a long way to addressing the stigma against mental illness if we uncouple "those with mental illness on the street" and discussing the risk of violent acts.

Substance use wayyyy higher up in terms of risk (which can coincide with mental illness but often doesn't)

Of course. Trust me, I NEVER talk in terms of *all*. The fact is though that mental health services are being cut and there are people who should be in institutions that are forced to live on the street instead, and substance abuse leads to mental health issues etc. I only meant that you can't be sure who you're going to run into out there and you have to be alert at all times.

Obviously there needs to be more security guards and police about this day and age with the growing diverse population. it shouldn't have to come to this but it has.
More lighting in dark secluded areas and extra surveillance. And these Trams need to be patrolled as well. I don't get why these important steps haven't been made priority. We have to keep reading and hearing about these terrible crimes and many innocent beautiful women fall the victims to the crazy perps out there waiting to pounce. JMO

I just visited melbourne last week, so so sad. Melbourne just doesn't feel safe anymore.

It is and it isn't.
I've lived in Melbourne all my life and have never been attacked by someone unknown to me. But that just comes down to sheer luck as i have put myself in some risky situations.

However, quickly gentrifying areas that may seeeem safe still have a large number of halfway houses and public housing. People who are on bail or released from prison, who have a severe mental illness, or a history of offending have to live somewhere i suppose.

He has said that the offender/stalker is a known sex offender and will be arrested soon. Fx fx
Derryn Hinch on Twitter

If what Hinch said on Twitter is true ( absolutely horrible detail- that poor girl ), I struggle with why the perpetrator left behind his belongings. Someone who would do something so horrendous to hide evidence would surely not be stupid enough to leave behind not one but two articles of clothing. What he might have done to poor Aiia could have been just his evil way of inflicting pain instead of removing evidence, IMO.

If he did really want to hide evidence, maybe he brought the articles of clothing ( wearing gloves ) to the scene that belong to someone else and placed them there before carrying the attack ? I just can’t think of another reason why someone might leave behind their own clothes if they don’t want to ever be linked to a crime.

The “1986” cap is something I think there’s more to.

Prior to having them forensically tested how did they know they werent her cap and tshirt that he'd taken from her bag?

I don’t think they know for sure but LE have mentioned that the tee is men’s Cotton On brand . Of course, she could have owned a men’s tee and cap but maybe she wouldn’t carry them to a comedy club?

The perp could have been in a rush afterwards and threw away the shirt and Tee. I think they are onto someone. Obviously not releasing too much info until arrest is made. There are two crime scenes. The one being in heavy bushland accross the road from the location she was found, could have been where they found the hat and shirt.

Last edited:

Police to 'saturate' Bundoora area where exchange student Aiia Maasarwe was killed

Peter Lusted
3 hrs ago
Victorian police officers will "saturate" the area where 21-year-old Aiia Maasarwe was killed until her attacker is found, in a bid to calm rising community fears about safety.
Police believe the Arab-Israeli exchange student was attacked about 12:10am on Wednesday morning, shortly after getting off a Route 86 tram near the intersection of Plenty Road and Main Drive in Bundoora.
The university where she was studying, La Trobe, whose Bundoora campus in Melbourne's north-east is close to where she was attacked, has committed to addressing student concerns about safety on public transport in the area.
Ms Maasarwe had been attending a comedy show in North Melbourne, and was a little over one kilometre from home when she was attacked.

Her body was found by passers-by just after dawn on Wednesday, behind a hedge near the entrance to Polaris shopping centre.

Police yesterday appealed for public help to find her killer, saying Ms Maasarwe was the innocent victim of a "horrendous, horrific attack".

Victoria Police's Acting Superintendent for the North West Metro Region, Tony Ryan, said police would be out in force to try to ease community fears that the attacker is still in the community.

"We've got an ongoing effort to saturate the area as much as we possibly can," Superintendent Ryan said.

"We've got uniform cars, we're supported by the operational response unit, we've got detectives, we've got our community police, we've got transit working on the tram lines.

Police to 'saturate' Bundoora area where exchange student Aiia Maasarwe was killed

Peter Lusted
3 hrs ago
Victorian police officers will "saturate" the area where 21-year-old Aiia Maasarwe was killed until her attacker is found, in a bid to calm rising community fears about safety.
Police believe the Arab-Israeli exchange student was attacked about 12:10am on Wednesday morning, shortly after getting off a Route 86 tram near the intersection of Plenty Road and Main Drive in Bundoora.
The university where she was studying, La Trobe, whose Bundoora campus in Melbourne's north-east is close to where she was attacked, has committed to addressing student concerns about safety on public transport in the area.
Ms Maasarwe had been attending a comedy show in North Melbourne, and was a little over one kilometre from home when she was attacked.

Her body was found by passers-by just after dawn on Wednesday, behind a hedge near the entrance to Polaris shopping centre.

Police yesterday appealed for public help to find her killer, saying Ms Maasarwe was the innocent victim of a "horrendous, horrific attack".

Victoria Police's Acting Superintendent for the North West Metro Region, Tony Ryan, said police would be out in force to try to ease community fears that the attacker is still in the community.

"We've got an ongoing effort to saturate the area as much as we possibly can," Superintendent Ryan said.

"We've got uniform cars, we're supported by the operational response unit, we've got detectives, we've got our community police, we've got transit working on the tram lines.

I just think that's a typical knee-jerk response. Plenty Rd is a BIG road with a LOT of areas like that, and the killer is not likely to strike the same place twice. Saturating it with police is a waste of money IMO. The only positive way forward that I see is

1. Giving woman an ability to defend themselves i.e. free self defense lessons, and letting women have licenses to carry certain items like pepper spray

2. Steps taken to stop violent offenders being allowed to live amongst the population, i.e. certain institutions or prisons where they can never get out (or drop them off in the middle of the ocean for all I care), as well as castration if need be.

I know the police are as frustrated as the rest of us. They catch these bastards and the system lets them go.

Sad & shocking to hear about this. It is just up the road from my house.
I always thought I was paranoid for not letting my daughter ride the tram alone - and that's just in the day time. It is horrible to know what she is surrounded by whilst travelling to and from school or sports. You can never be too careful - what is wrong with people!!

I think we will see CCTV shortly of someone who followed her from the city. Predators hang out in Melbourne CBD waiting for opportunities like this - to follow girls who leave venues on their own late at night so they can rape them. Whether the full intention was murder, I don't think so but that is what it has turned into.

Maybe the government needs to issue a warning on travel safe for people who are new to the country NEVER to travel alone at night.

Universities who host overseas students should also include this message in their orientations.

Applying some amateur logic, it is reasonable to suppose that this killer wasn't living under the bushes near the tramstop. That is, he had to get there, to that point of interception with Aiie, on some concrete time line, by some method, tram, car, walking, bike, skateboard, scooter....

And if that T-shirt and hat is his, he wore them out and returned to his starting point without them, barechested, and bare headed. And he had to travel back to his starting point by some method, not necessarily the same as he used to get to the killing site.

Which is where geo profiling comes into play.. the place where A . was found, and a ratio of distance in every direction outwards from that point, within a certain amount of time.

Even murderers have to submit to time , that inexorable factor, there is 24 hours in a day for them as it is for us, they get no extra hours, or less. It is possible he had to be back at his residence by a certain time, the last tram leaves Bundoora at 1.10am, but this tram only goes back towards Melbourne as far as the Tram Depot at Preston.

She was on the phone at 12.10 am to her sister when he struck.

If he came to Bundoora on foot, that tram timetable doesn't matter, ditto car, bike, scooter, skateboard..

The police seem firm that someone else knows, knows the killer, knows where he is, knows what and who he is, and that's a fair claim to make, because of the T-shirt and hat. A Cotton-on mens T-shirt costs $39.00 , not loose change to a student, say.

It's long vacation, too , so the usually full up residential colleges around the campus of Latrobe are empty, another factor to take into account.

Sad & shocking to hear about this. It is just up the road from my house.
I always thought I was paranoid for not letting my daughter ride the tram alone - and that's just in the day time. It is horrible to know what she is surrounded by whilst travelling to and from school or sports. You can never be too careful - what is wrong with people!!

I think we will see CCTV shortly of someone who followed her from the city. Predators hang out in Melbourne CBD waiting for opportunities like this - to follow girls who leave venues on their own late at night so they can rape them. Whether the full intention was murder, I don't think so but that is what it has turned into.

Maybe the government needs to issue a warning on travel safe for people who are new to the country NEVER to travel alone at night.

Universities who host overseas students should also include this message in their orientations.

I saw a comment that was interesting on Facebook, from a person who was born in another country, saying that in overseas universities there is a big plug from the Australian government encouraging student exchange programs and selling the idea of Australia, and Melbourne in particular, as being 'safe' and 'the world's most livable city'. So it makes sense that an exchange student like Aya would probably have her guard down thinking she is safe because everyone told her so, when in fact she wasn't. So yes I think awareness programs through universities, and buddy systems etc might be useful as well?

the last tram from Bundoora, back into Melbourne, all the way , left that stop at 11.23pm

The tram that Aiie arrived at Bundoora on would have left to return back at either 12.10am or 12.39am, but those two trams and a few others following only go back to the Preston Depot, not back to Melbourne.

Applying some amateur logic, it is reasonable to suppose that this killer wasn't living under the bushes near the tramstop. That is, he had to get there, to that point of interception with Aiie, on some concrete time line, by some method, tram, car, walking, bike, skateboard, scooter....

And if that T-shirt and hat is his, he wore them out and returned to his starting point without them, barechested, and bare headed. And he had to travel back to his starting point by some method, not necessarily the same as he used to get to the killing site.

Which is where geo profiling comes into play.. the place where A . was found, and a ratio of distance in every direction outwards from that point, within a certain amount of time.

Even murderers have to submit to time , that inexorable factor, there is 24 hours in a day for them as it is for us, they get no extra hours, or less. It is possible he had to be back at his residence by a certain time, the last tram leaves Bundoora at 1.10am, but this tram only goes back towards Melbourne as far as the Tram Depot at Preston.

She was on the phone at 12.10 am to her sister when he struck.

If he came to Bundoora on foot, that tram timetable doesn't matter, ditto car, bike, scooter, skateboard..

The police seem firm that someone else knows, knows the killer, knows where he is, knows what and who he is, and that's a fair claim to make, because of the T-shirt and hat. A Cotton-on mens T-shirt costs $39.00 , not loose change to a student, say.

It's long vacation, too , so the usually full up residential colleges around the campus of Latrobe are empty, another factor to take into account.

Very clever, I *hope* the police have thought of all that. Hinch's tweet makes me think the police already know who the perp is but they're not ready to release the info until they have concrete evidence.

I saw a comment that was interesting on Facebook, from a person who was born in another country, saying that in overseas universities there is a big plug from the Australian government encouraging student exchange programs and selling the idea of Australia, and Melbourne in particular, as being 'safe' and 'the world's most livable city'. So it makes sense that an exchange student like Aya would probably have her guard down thinking she is safe because everyone told her so, when in fact she wasn't. So yes I think awareness programs through universities, and buddy systems etc might be useful as well?

Commercial profits override any semblance of truth, Education is a commodity to be sold, far and wide, and it is truly reprehensible that 'safe' can be promoted as a fact that authority can guarantee, it just is not the case. It is an emotional selling point that is really meaningless, unless a Leopard tank is provided for each student at any time of the day to go anywhere.

And she would have grown up in a war zone practically all her young life, it is utterly reasonable that she herself would consider a simple tramstop on a hot summers night in Melbourne as safe. ..

It is so outrageous and if, as I am coming to suspect, the possibility of this killer already having been subject to court orders, even a practiced performer, perhaps even on parole, then how to cope with that is incomprehensible.

I am curious as to why that shirt and hat were discarded. They don't appear to be torn or stained, , ( I am assuming they are the actual artifacts, and not examples ) why did he take them off?

They were found about 100 meters from her body so I don't think A. ripped them off him, he took them off and threw them down, but why?... he , one assumes, put his pants back on, but tossed away the shirt, and , mysteriously, the hat.

And unless he had been out all day, and this was his last effort of the night, he put a lot of store into that hat as part of his persona, in that he put it on at night. It wasn't for shade, it was for .. what? identification? a message? an insignia of a club?

Then he discarded it .

What we need is a resident psychoanalyst, some one who can read meaning, if there is any , in to it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janewiththedogs
Back